Warcraft Legacy Starcraft Legacy BlizzForums
The Future?

Go Back   BlizzForums > Games > StarCraft Discussion

StarCraft Discussion StarCraft & Brood War lie herein.

Old 02-01-2009

Canada pureWasted
Temporary Generic Title
 pureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to all

Quote:
I believe Thor is quite a misfit when it comes to the Terran arsenal. It's uninsipred just like the MotherShip, is constantly being reworked, yet it always overlaps with different units' roles or is rather useless.
The Thor is not constantly being reworked. The last time it was reworked was, what, the Zerg demo? In any case, it hasn't been so much as touched since then (aside from numbers adjustments that all units go through).

pureWasted has 2,438 Posts

My TV Blog

My DeviantArt

We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.

pm.gif   

Old 02-01-2009

No country specified. To select a country, go to User CP -> Edit Profile -> Country flavormanIII
I come in all flavors
 flavormanIII has become enlightenedflavormanIII has become enlightenedflavormanIII has become enlightenedflavormanIII has become enlightenedflavormanIII has become enlightenedflavormanIII has become enlightenedflavormanIII has become enlightenedflavormanIII has become enlightenedflavormanIII has become enlightenedflavormanIII has become enlightenedflavormanIII has become enlightened

Isn't The Thor's GtA splash enough? 4x4 splash damage in rapid succession with 10 range isn't enough to kill a group of mutas? Especially with marine support? Both Marines and Thors can open fire way before Mutas get into range? Marines having shield upgrade by the time zerg has mutas? I dunno marines aren't that vulnerable anymore. I really see Thor_support will be a "no fly zone" for light air.

Last edited by flavormanIII; 02-01-2009 at 08:27 PM.
flavormanIII has 1,052 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 02-01-2009

Canada Kimera757*
The Last Cerebrate
 Kimera757* is made of winKimera757* is made of winKimera757* is made of winKimera757* is made of winKimera757* is made of winKimera757* is made of winKimera757* is made of winKimera757* is made of winKimera757* is made of winKimera757* is made of winKimera757* is made of win

I did mention not knowing the RoF. Is the thor rapid-fire?

StarCraft wiki; a complete and referenced database on the StarCraft game series, StarCraft II, Lore, Characters and Gameplay.

Three products = one game plus two expansions.

"Do you hear them whispering from the stars? The galaxy will burn with their coming."

pm.gif   

Old 02-01-2009

No country specified. To select a country, go to User CP -> Edit Profile -> Country flavormanIII
I come in all flavors
 flavormanIII has become enlightenedflavormanIII has become enlightenedflavormanIII has become enlightenedflavormanIII has become enlightenedflavormanIII has become enlightenedflavormanIII has become enlightenedflavormanIII has become enlightenedflavormanIII has become enlightenedflavormanIII has become enlightenedflavormanIII has become enlightenedflavormanIII has become enlightened

It supposed to be anti light so its pretty much high RotF. Its the ground attack thats long cool down. I mean you don't give that low damage unless your RoF s a bit faster. The goliaths have large chunk damage so the have standard RoF. Anyway the range 10, thrice the range of a mutalisk. I have one wid where the Thor had GtA but still had the flak cannons. The cannons were firing very rapidly. I think it was the last WWI.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMZkeOok5MU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BitWbknhkY8

I have a better quality verion of that if you like.

Last edited by flavormanIII; 02-01-2009 at 09:41 PM.
flavormanIII has 1,052 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 02-02-2009

Philippine zeratul11
BF Member
 zeratul11 is a model citizenzeratul11 is a model citizenzeratul11 is a model citizenzeratul11 is a model citizenzeratul11 is a model citizenzeratul11 is a model citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by vIsitor View Post
I really hope you're being sarcastic here.

Particle Acceleration Cannons are, by their very definition, directed energy weapons. However, that doesn't mean that they have to look like "lasers"--the coherent-beam illusion only happens when you're accelerating the charged particles to relativistic velocities. In fact, PACs are really more akin to Gauss weapons, except they shoot high-energy subatomic particles instead of bullets. Its entirely possible that it shoots a pellet or spheroid of charged energy, which ignites the atmosphere as it leaves the barrel (hence the enormous muzzle flash). As for any similarities to the Siege Tank, I'd attribute that to them using related technologies (if I recall correctly, the Tank's Shock Cannon is plasma-based).

Now, I admit that a big red laser effect like you describe would look cool, but consider: would it really be worth the on-screen clutter of having another beam-type weapon obscuring things? Personally, I think that the current attack is already suitable impressive enough to fit the role; no need to change it. And if it bothers you enough that you still can't bring yourself to see them as particle accelerator guns, then you could always petition the devs to rename them something more conventional (like a rail-gun or kinetic projector cannon). More "traditional" weapons are actually fairly powerful by modern standards, anyway: lasers are notoriously inefficient weapons, and while all the caveats are hammered out, kinetic weapons keep getting better.
the other poster said the thor shoots shells accelerated very fast. you said its energy based. so what is it?

anyway, i really want the thor to fire a visible projectile not like just a cannon burst on its arm just like the siege tank. just imagine if the thor charges up first just like the yamato before it fires an red energy like fireball on its 2 arm guns, now thats way better and badass.

pm.gif   

Old 02-02-2009

Canada pureWasted
Temporary Generic Title
 pureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeratul11 View Post
anyway, i really want the thor to fire a visible projectile not like just a cannon burst on its arm just like the siege tank. just imagine if the thor charges up first just like the yamato before it fires an red energy like fireball on its 2 arm guns, now thats way better and badass.
I couldn't possibly agree less.

The Thor's GtG attack is perfect as is. I'm not saying the Terrans don't have lasers (Battlecruisers obviously do) and I'm not saying they don't have railguns (Cobras obviously do), but the Thor isn't a high tech weapon of war, and that's the whole point of the unit. It's the same reason it's so big, instead of something sleek and efficient.

The Thor is a cobbled-together mass of armor and guns, and that's what makes it so Terran. If you want to get rid of that, then might as well switch up the unit's whole design while you're at it.

My TV Blog

My DeviantArt

pm.gif   

Old 02-02-2009

United States Blazur
Your thoughts betray you
 Blazur has ascended to greatnessBlazur has ascended to greatnessBlazur has ascended to greatnessBlazur has ascended to greatnessBlazur has ascended to greatnessBlazur has ascended to greatnessBlazur has ascended to greatnessBlazur has ascended to greatnessBlazur has ascended to greatnessBlazur has ascended to greatnessBlazur has ascended to greatness

Speaking of the Thor, in the following screenshot you can notice one with its missile bays opened up.

http://sclegacy.com/images/uploaded/...reenshot08.jpg

Check out the Thor at the top-right.

Blazur has 396 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 02-02-2009

Canada WolfGangGrimmer
UnitedEarthDirectorate
 WolfGangGrimmer has ascended to greatnessWolfGangGrimmer has ascended to greatnessWolfGangGrimmer has ascended to greatnessWolfGangGrimmer has ascended to greatnessWolfGangGrimmer has ascended to greatnessWolfGangGrimmer has ascended to greatnessWolfGangGrimmer has ascended to greatnessWolfGangGrimmer has ascended to greatnessWolfGangGrimmer has ascended to greatnessWolfGangGrimmer has ascended to greatnessWolfGangGrimmer has ascended to greatness

I wonder what it's shooting at, something offscreen obviously.

WolfGangGrimmer has 629 Posts

..... There is only the divinity of mankind. Kill all Xenomorphs.
Hydra-owned

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to WolfGangGrimmer  

Old 02-05-2009

Denmark Jen
Worlds fall,Hearts remain
 Jen is obviously doing something rightJen is obviously doing something rightJen is obviously doing something rightJen is obviously doing something rightJen is obviously doing something rightJen is obviously doing something rightJen is obviously doing something rightJen is obviously doing something rightJen is obviously doing something rightJen is obviously doing something rightJen is obviously doing something right
Default Re: What are the Thor cannons supposed to be exactly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pureWasted View Post

The Thor's GtG attack is perfect as is. I'm not saying the Terrans don't have lasers (Battlecruisers obviously do) and I'm not saying they don't have railguns (Cobras obviously do), but the Thor isn't a high tech weapon of war, and that's the whole point of the unit. It's the same reason it's so big, instead of something sleek and efficient.

The Thor is a cobbled-together mass of armor and guns, and that's what makes it so Terran. If you want to get rid of that, then might as well switch up the unit's whole design while you're at it.
"Thor isn't a high tech weapon of war...."

OMG... You obviously fail at SC lore. Check the official description:
The Thor is the Dominions's lastest top-secret military procejct, the pinnacle of terran technology:
The arm cannons are paticle accelerator cannons, more advanced than the BC's laser batteries

Jen has 40 Posts

S t a r c r a f t
II
Anger is meant to be acted on. We are meant to use anger as fuel to take the actions we need to move where our anger points us. - Julia Cameron

pm.gif  Send a message via MSN to Jen  

Old 02-05-2009

Philippine zeratul11
BF Member
 zeratul11 is a model citizenzeratul11 is a model citizenzeratul11 is a model citizenzeratul11 is a model citizenzeratul11 is a model citizenzeratul11 is a model citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by pureWasted View Post

mechs are high tech machine and are always equip with more not just canons and shells. and a mech as big as the thor is no brainer should have lasers or something. thats just usual for any mech. except for the golaith which is obiously a very low tier type of mech.

if you give the thor giant bullets then thats just mediocricity at its best and just trying hard to be badass. give the thor an energy weapon thats just as unique as the bc (the only terra ground unit and make sense to have it). not necessarily lasers but something similar.

pm.gif   

Old 02-05-2009

Canada pureWasted
Temporary Generic Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
"Thor isn't a high tech weapon of war...."

OMG... You obviously fail at SC lore. Check the official description:
The Thor is the Dominions's lastest top-secret military procejct, the pinnacle of terran technology:
The arm cannons are paticle accelerator cannons, more advanced than the BC's laser batteries
Haha, you're absolutely right.

I was talking more about the unit's "feel" than anything, though. It has the look of something hobbled together from spare parts, this giant contraption of mass destruction. For me, it's the quintessential Terran unit, and it's funny that it took until SC2's release for it to be made:

"Crap, they're sending Zerglings!"
-"Give the guy a gun!"
-"Crap! They're sending Ultralisks!!"
-"Give the guy five huge guns... at the same time!"

My TV Blog

My DeviantArt

pm.gif   

Old 02-06-2009

United States SpiderBrigade
disabled your radio gauge
 SpiderBrigade has become enlightenedSpiderBrigade has become enlightenedSpiderBrigade has become enlightenedSpiderBrigade has become enlightenedSpiderBrigade has become enlightenedSpiderBrigade has become enlightenedSpiderBrigade has become enlightenedSpiderBrigade has become enlightenedSpiderBrigade has become enlightenedSpiderBrigade has become enlightenedSpiderBrigade has become enlightened

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazur View Post
Speaking of the Thor, in the following screenshot you can notice one with its missile bays opened up.

http://sclegacy.com/images/uploaded/...reenshot08.jpg

Check out the Thor at the top-right.
Ah-HAH! From that angle I can totally see how those pods are missile batteries. It's just not obvious from the usual front-3/4 view.

Good find, man.

SpiderBrigade has 1,129 Posts

pm.gif