Warcraft Legacy Starcraft Legacy BlizzForums
The Future?

Go Back   BlizzForums > Games > StarCraft Discussion

StarCraft Discussion StarCraft & Brood War lie herein.

Old 10-21-2008

Russian Federation NeoSoviet
BF Member
 NeoSoviet has been here far, far too longNeoSoviet has been here far, far too longNeoSoviet has been here far, far too longNeoSoviet has been here far, far too longNeoSoviet has been here far, far too longNeoSoviet has been here far, far too longNeoSoviet has been here far, far too longNeoSoviet has been here far, far too longNeoSoviet has been here far, far too longNeoSoviet has been here far, far too longNeoSoviet has been here far, far too long
Default New info on Colossus, Nullifier and Nighthawk

Thanks to Karune !!! (Source - Battle.net)

What makes the Colossus worth its price? Are the Thermal Lances stronger than thought out to be?

In my opinion, the Colossus is the most effective when you have more than one. Three seems to be my optimal number, especially against Terran. Medivacs heal at a very fast rate, but only one target at a time. Against a group of Marines with a Medivac, one single Colossus would do virtually nothing, because the damage would be healed through easily. With three Colossi, the Marines would die in one sweep, negating any healing that could be done. A single Colossus is good at softening targets, but with more rapid healing from Medivacs and new units like Roaches, it may not be enough. At that point, you need enough to kill them in one sweep, and when you do have that, it will do significant damage to any army, especially with the additional range upgrade for the Colossus.

Karune, what are your thoughts on the Colossus attack mechanic? While the numbers can be adjusted in accordance to balance, there's concern that the current attack mechanic is itself a flaw in that it's too situational. Has your team considered enhancing it in any ways, or adding more control to the attack pattern is etches into the ground?

Even though the beam is currently shown visually in various ways, the damage is done to all units in that straight line at the same time instantly. That line will always be based on the position you are attacking from, so in that way there is a lot of control as how to use the Colossus.

I definitely wouldn't say the Colossus is too situational either cause this unit is quite useful in both Zerg and Terran matchups. As long as in these matchups, both players continue to adapt to counter each other's strategies, Colossi will surely be brought to the battlefield.

Firstly what does the Nullifiers Molecular Displacement do? I heard that it shoots a beam of energy and deals extra damage to units of the same type? Can we get more detail on this.

The Molecular Disrupter is a new ability we are testing out on the Nullifier, in which the unit fires a psionic projectile which bounces between units of the same type, doing 10 damage with each hit, up to a maximum of 10 bounces. Thus, if you were to use this ability on 2 Marines (with 40 hit points each, not upgraded), both Marines would die easily. If there were 3 Marines, it would kill 1 Marine and leave the last two at 10 hp each. Currently, the ability costs 125 energy.

Secondly I keep hearing of a Seismic Thumper ability for the Nighthawk (im positive I never saw this). Supposedly the Thumper stops Zerg from burrowing. Any input?

The Seismic Thumper is no longer in the multiplayer game, but was originally dropped on the battlefield, which slows all units within it's radius by 50% (including friendlies). The only way to stop it was to destroy the Seismic Thumper itself.

Are these targeting drones permanent or do they have a timed life? Also they appear to be invisible to the enemy. Does the targeted unit have any visual indication that it's being targeted?

The Targeting Drone is similar to the Auto Turret in the fact that it does not have a timed life. It currently costs 50 energy to deploy and has 120 hitpoints (all subject to balance of course). The Targeting Drone can target one unit at a time, and increases the damage that unit takes by 50%. You cannot have two drones targeting the same target. These drones are also flying, stealthed, and immobile. They may excellent perimeter defenses and can be coupled with Auto Turret raids to maximize the damage.

Even though the drone is stealthed, visually, there will be a red laser coming from the drone aimmed at the target, so you will know when there is one around.

NeoSoviet has 839 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 10-21-2008

Nepal viperjo
Lovable Local Blood God
 viperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshviperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshviperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshviperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshviperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshviperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshviperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshviperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshviperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshviperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshviperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, gosh

l LOVE DRONES

viperjo has 5,125 Posts

I've got ham but i'm not a hamster........................... Thanks to Greyscale for this sexy sig!

pm.gif   

Old 10-21-2008

Hungary CheesePants
qwertz
 CheesePants reigns supremeCheesePants reigns supremeCheesePants reigns supremeCheesePants reigns supremeCheesePants reigns supremeCheesePants reigns supremeCheesePants reigns supremeCheesePants reigns supremeCheesePants reigns supremeCheesePants reigns supremeCheesePants reigns supreme

Mmmmm my super turtle tactics shall prevail with these drones

CheesePants has 849 Posts

pm.gif  Send a message via MSN to CheesePants  

Old 10-21-2008

United States mr. peasant
 mr. peasant is a name known to allmr. peasant is a name known to allmr. peasant is a name known to allmr. peasant is a name known to allmr. peasant is a name known to allmr. peasant is a name known to allmr. peasant is a name known to allmr. peasant is a name known to allmr. peasant is a name known to allmr. peasant is a name known to allmr. peasant is a name known to all

While the info on the Colossi is interesting, I think the biggest concern about the Colossus is on the difficulty of aiming with it since while the human eye is fairly well trained to draw a straight line from point A to B, is less accurate in imagining a line perpendicular to it. As such, it might be a tad bit more difficult to position the Colossus so that it actually hits multiple targets (especially when they don't helpfully line up in a straight line). This issue would be made more difficult when trying to manage multiple Colossi at once, trying to hit the same targets since thanks to their size, their angles of attack will be significantly different from one another.

pm.gif   

Old 10-21-2008

United States areese87
BF Member
 areese87 is made of winareese87 is made of winareese87 is made of winareese87 is made of winareese87 is made of winareese87 is made of winareese87 is made of winareese87 is made of winareese87 is made of winareese87 is made of winareese87 is made of win

So, if the the Drones only cost energy, you're really not all that restricted on the construction of it. If that's the same with the Turrets...wow. Hopefully, that will be balanced. Energy-based permanent based defenses seem pretty damn powerful.

areese87 has 1,702 Posts

Obama has won. The seas of change are flooding the streets- a deluge of possibility, a monsoon of opportunity, a literal tsunami of inspiration. We're talking hope. And the only thing left to do is to put on some swimming trunks, maybe a pair of goggles, and just riiiide the wave...

And a major pox on that bastard Jeph Loeb. Everything you touch dies.

pm.gif   

Old 10-26-2008

United States ArchDreadReaper
Destroyer of Worlds
 ArchDreadReaper has become enlightenedArchDreadReaper has become enlightenedArchDreadReaper has become enlightenedArchDreadReaper has become enlightenedArchDreadReaper has become enlightenedArchDreadReaper has become enlightenedArchDreadReaper has become enlightenedArchDreadReaper has become enlightenedArchDreadReaper has become enlightenedArchDreadReaper has become enlightenedArchDreadReaper has become enlightened

Quote:
Originally Posted by areese87 View Post
So, if the the Drones only cost energy, you're really not all that restricted on the construction of it. If that's the same with the Turrets...wow. Hopefully, that will be balanced. Energy-based permanent based defenses seem pretty damn powerful.
They are, but the Nighthawks are expensive, you need to individually research each upgrade, which is expensive, and they cost a lot of energy, meaning that to make any real difference with them you're going to need multiple Nighthawks. You have to spend an enormous amount of money and time just to prepare for this stuff before you have one bit of defense.

-Dread_Reaper

ArchDreadReaper has 695 Posts

Axe the Overseer, turn the Infester into the Defiler, and find a place for the Roach.

Add this to your signature if you agree.

New Nullifier?
http://blizzforums.com/showthread.ph...676#post364676

pm.gif   

Old 10-26-2008

United States SpiderBrigade
disabled your radio gauge
 SpiderBrigade has become enlightenedSpiderBrigade has become enlightenedSpiderBrigade has become enlightenedSpiderBrigade has become enlightenedSpiderBrigade has become enlightenedSpiderBrigade has become enlightenedSpiderBrigade has become enlightenedSpiderBrigade has become enlightenedSpiderBrigade has become enlightenedSpiderBrigade has become enlightenedSpiderBrigade has become enlightened

Can drones and turrets be repaired by SCV?

SpiderBrigade has 1,129 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 10-26-2008

Nepal viperjo
Lovable Local Blood God
 viperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshviperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshviperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshviperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshviperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshviperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshviperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshviperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshviperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshviperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshviperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, gosh

I would imagine so, they are mechanical correct?

I think I saw somewhere that drones were 150 energy to cast so I think its safe to say that mass drones floating around won't be too much of a bother. But a few well placed ones could greatly augment a tank line or a nifty fallback trap for marines.

viperjo has 5,125 Posts

I've got ham but i'm not a hamster........................... Thanks to Greyscale for this sexy sig!

pm.gif   

Old 10-26-2008

United States Blazur
Your thoughts betray you
 Blazur has ascended to greatnessBlazur has ascended to greatnessBlazur has ascended to greatnessBlazur has ascended to greatnessBlazur has ascended to greatnessBlazur has ascended to greatnessBlazur has ascended to greatnessBlazur has ascended to greatnessBlazur has ascended to greatnessBlazur has ascended to greatnessBlazur has ascended to greatness

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. peasant View Post
While the info on the Colossi is interesting, I think the biggest concern about the Colossus is on the difficulty of aiming with it since while the human eye is fairly well trained to draw a straight line from point A to B, is less accurate in imagining a line perpendicular to it. As such, it might be a tad bit more difficult to position the Colossus so that it actually hits multiple targets (especially when they don't helpfully line up in a straight line). This issue would be made more difficult when trying to manage multiple Colossi at once, trying to hit the same targets since thanks to their size, their angles of attack will be significantly different from one another.
Not only does it sound tedious to aim with, but it doesn't sound too incredibly exciting. I still predict this unit would quickly become obsolete if left with its current attack mechanic, in favor of more precise attackers like the stalker.

On the subject of the targeting drone, the Nighthawk is sounding incredibly fun to use with its versatile abilities. I'm looking forward to using this unit!

Blazur has 396 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 10-28-2008

Australia Agent-47.
Silent Assassin
 Agent-47. has been here far, far too longAgent-47. has been here far, far too longAgent-47. has been here far, far too longAgent-47. has been here far, far too longAgent-47. has been here far, far too longAgent-47. has been here far, far too longAgent-47. has been here far, far too longAgent-47. has been here far, far too longAgent-47. has been here far, far too longAgent-47. has been here far, far too longAgent-47. has been here far, far too long

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheesePants View Post
Mmmmm my super turtle tactics shall prevail with these drones
but what about against collosi??? :P

Agent-47. has 997 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ass Kicker View Post
I'll accept this when they start printing on the back of Bibles "Warning: This book has been linked to the murder and torture of millions along with a general lack of tolerance for others."

pm.gif