Warcraft Legacy Starcraft Legacy BlizzForums
The Future?

Go Back   BlizzForums > Games > Diablo Discussion

Diablo Discussion Enter the Uncertain Realm Dominated by an Epic Conflict.

Old 07-10-2008

United States Santrega
The one and only
 Santrega is made of winSantrega is made of winSantrega is made of winSantrega is made of winSantrega is made of winSantrega is made of winSantrega is made of winSantrega is made of winSantrega is made of winSantrega is made of winSantrega is made of win
Default Bashiok on Respecing, PK Griefing, and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bashiok
There will almost definitely be some sort of system to respec; however, it isn't likely to be as liberal as World of Warcraft. We don't want to lock a player into a system that punishes them for mistakes, experimenting, or lack of knowledge early on in the game. We also don't think a system that allows immediate, complete, and at-a-whim changes to a character spec matches the feel of Diablo. It's likely to be somewhere in between.

That said we still feel like the desire to play the same class again that you may have played before is still a part of the game, and with some ability to respec could potentially require other incentives.
http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/th...sid=1&pageNo=2

Quote:
We're - in general - not big fans of griefing for any game. It's really only "fun" for one person, and that definition of fun isn't generally something we're going to want to encourage. It's far more positive to encourage and support meaningful and skillful options and systems within a game, than a mechanic for people to instantly turn against one another for no meaningful gameplay reasons.

I definitely remember running with my friends, and someone toggles it, and bam everyone is dead and your one friend is laughing. Ok, ok, good joke I guess, and then you run back and *bam*, you've toggled it to get them back. After a while everyone usually agrees to a truce because it's just a waste of time. But I also remember running with random players and losing extremely nice items because of it, not cool. I'm sure that it was a feature that was right up some people's alleys, I won't deny there are some that would enjoy nothing more than to see others frustrated, but is that truly something that should be encouraged through design - if not directly opposed?

We have a large focus on cooperative play for Diablo III, and the mechanics and design decisions related to multiplayer are likely going to be based on supporting and encouraging it as much as possible, and not breaking it down.

That doesn't mean that PvP won't have its own focus, but those are details and features we aren't yet discussing.
http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/th...sid=1&pageNo=2

Quote:
The barbarian in Diablo III is indeed the same character we all played in Diablo II. So his memories, interactions, and backstory all still exist, including his knowledge of Cain.
http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/th...75507397&sid=1

Here's a little bit more info on the game...

Santrega has 737 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 07-11-2008

Australia blue.rellik
is a double-bagger
 blue.rellik could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!blue.rellik could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!blue.rellik could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!blue.rellik could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!blue.rellik could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!blue.rellik could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!blue.rellik could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!blue.rellik could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!blue.rellik could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!blue.rellik could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!blue.rellik could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!

I like the respeccing idea, my big flaw with my first play through of D2 was that I specced everywhere which left me useless when I reached NM

blue.rellik has 10,518 Posts

pm.gif  Send a message via MSN to blue.rellik  

Old 07-11-2008

United States KingKaramazov
BF Member
 KingKaramazov was born to leadKingKaramazov was born to leadKingKaramazov was born to leadKingKaramazov was born to leadKingKaramazov was born to leadKingKaramazov was born to leadKingKaramazov was born to lead

That's interesting...so the "Barbarian" you play in Diablo 3 is, lorewise, supposedly the same Barbarian that you killed the 3 brothers with throughout Diablo 2? Or am I misinterpreting his statement?

KingKaramazov has 270 Posts

Take heed and bear witness to the truths that lie herein, for they are the last legacy of the Horadrim....

pm.gif   

Old 07-11-2008

Australia Jimberson
Not you
 Jimberson was born to leadJimberson was born to leadJimberson was born to leadJimberson was born to leadJimberson was born to leadJimberson was born to leadJimberson was born to lead

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKaramazov View Post
That's interesting...so the "Barbarian" you play in Diablo 3 is, lorewise, supposedly the same Barbarian that you killed the 3 brothers with throughout Diablo 2? Or am I misinterpreting his statement?
So it seems. I find it odd, though. I mean, he obviously won't start the game at a high level with a bunch of skills, and obviously he isn't suffering from amnesia, so I wonder how they'll make that work (or have made it work). Maybe the loss of Mt. Arreat and the Worldstone left him disillusioned, and he sorta lost contact with the spirits of battle? I really couldn't say.

I wonder if the characters of the other six classes that fought against the Three will make an appearance, and in what context. In Diablo II there was the Dark Wanderer, Blood Raven, and the Summoner, but only one of those (canonically) fought against Diablo, and the other two are just throwbacks of sorts.

Will they be enemies or allies? I could see the paladin as an enemy, and the necromancer as an ally. Not sure about the others.

Last edited by Jimberson; 07-12-2008 at 03:27 AM.
Jimberson has 151 Posts

no one in particular, 1957

pm.gif   

Old 07-11-2008

United States Santrega
The one and only
 Santrega is made of winSantrega is made of winSantrega is made of winSantrega is made of winSantrega is made of winSantrega is made of winSantrega is made of winSantrega is made of winSantrega is made of winSantrega is made of winSantrega is made of win

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimberson View Post
So it seems. I find it odd, though. I mean, he obviously won't start the game at a high level with a bunch of skills, and obviously he isn't suffering from amnesia, so I wonder how they'll make that work (or have made it work). Maybe the loss of Mt. Arreat and the Worldstone left him disillusioned, and he sorta lost contact with the spirits of battle? I really couldn't say.

I wonder if the other characters of the six classes that fought against the Three will make an appearance, and in what context. In Diablo II there was the Dark Wanderer, Blood Raven, and the Summoner, but only one of those (canonically) fought against Diablo, and the other two are just throwbacks of sorts.

Will they be enemies or allies? I could see the paladin as an enemy, and the necromancer as an ally. Not sure about the others.
I don't mean to be nitpicking or anything, but there were 7 classes. Unless of course you meant "one of the other 6 classes", and then disregard this post :-P

1. Amazon
2. Assassin
3 Necromancer
4. Paladin
5. Barbarian
6. Sorceress
7. Druid

Santrega has 737 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 07-11-2008

United States mr. peasant
 mr. peasant is a name known to allmr. peasant is a name known to allmr. peasant is a name known to allmr. peasant is a name known to allmr. peasant is a name known to allmr. peasant is a name known to allmr. peasant is a name known to allmr. peasant is a name known to allmr. peasant is a name known to allmr. peasant is a name known to allmr. peasant is a name known to all

Quote:
So it seems. I find it odd, though. I mean, he obviously won't start the game at a high level with a bunch of skills
Maybe this is what happens when you respec

In all seriousness, perhaps his age coupled with the 20 years of peace have dulled his combat prowess. An alternative explanation is that the leveling element of the game is not part of the official 'lore', meaning the player doesn't actually become exponentially stronger as the game progresses as far as the story is concerned.

pm.gif   

Old 07-11-2008

Canada DemolitionSquid
TestosterOWNAGE
 DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...

I support respecing by cost of gold.

DemolitionSquid has 7,740 Posts

pm.gif  Send a message via MSN to DemolitionSquid  

Old 07-12-2008

Australia Jimberson
Not you
 Jimberson was born to leadJimberson was born to leadJimberson was born to leadJimberson was born to leadJimberson was born to leadJimberson was born to leadJimberson was born to lead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santrega View Post
I don't mean to be nitpicking or anything, but there were 7 classes. Unless of course you meant "one of the other 6 classes", and then disregard this post :-P
'Tis indeed what I meant. I meant "characters of the other six classes". I put other in the wrong place. Tends to happen when I change what I'm writing mid-sentence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. peasant View Post
Maybe this is what happens when you respec

In all seriousness, perhaps his age coupled with the 20 years of peace have dulled his combat prowess. An alternative explanation is that the leveling element of the game is not part of the official 'lore', meaning the player doesn't actually become exponentially stronger as the game progresses as far as the story is concerned.
I'd buy either of those explanations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemolitionSquid View Post
I support respecing by cost of gold.
Exponentially increasing or set rate?

Jimberson has 151 Posts

no one in particular, 1957

pm.gif   

Old 07-12-2008

Australia blue.rellik
is a double-bagger
 blue.rellik could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!blue.rellik could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!blue.rellik could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!blue.rellik could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!blue.rellik could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!blue.rellik could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!blue.rellik could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!blue.rellik could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!blue.rellik could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!blue.rellik could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!blue.rellik could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!

I think it should depend on your level

Old 07-12-2008

Sweden Todie
Master of Quotation
 Todie has a reputation beyond reputeTodie has a reputation beyond reputeTodie has a reputation beyond reputeTodie has a reputation beyond reputeTodie has a reputation beyond reputeTodie has a reputation beyond reputeTodie has a reputation beyond reputeTodie has a reputation beyond reputeTodie has a reputation beyond reputeTodie has a reputation beyond reputeTodie has a reputation beyond repute

... that would lead to iffy "oh no! i must respec this and this before i level up too high, else ill never afford it!" type of anxiety. we wouldnt want that. would we?

Todie has 911 Posts

Desirable challenges in SC II ? More strategy, less endless juggling of obvious "must-do" actions

MBS unit prod could make MORE sense - - an altered macro mechanic COULD involve actual strategic decision making.
With great sensibility comes great responsibility

pm.gif   

Old 07-12-2008

Canada DemolitionSquid
TestosterOWNAGE
 DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...

Quote:
Exponentially increasing or set rate?
Whatever is balanced and most fun. That's not up to me figure out lol.

DemolitionSquid has 7,740 Posts

pm.gif  Send a message via MSN to DemolitionSquid  

Old 07-13-2008

Australia blue.rellik
is a double-bagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todie View Post
... that would lead to iffy "oh no! i must respec this and this before i level up too high, else ill never afford it!" type of anxiety. we wouldnt want that. would we?
Then maybe a combo on level and exponential increase?

Old 07-13-2008

United States Eli
Surgeon General's Warning
 Eli has ascended to greatnessEli has ascended to greatnessEli has ascended to greatnessEli has ascended to greatnessEli has ascended to greatnessEli has ascended to greatnessEli has ascended to greatnessEli has ascended to greatnessEli has ascended to greatnessEli has ascended to greatnessEli has ascended to greatness

I say once per difficulty.

Eli has 2,112 Posts

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to Eli  

Old 07-13-2008

Sweden Todie
Master of Quotation
 Todie has a reputation beyond reputeTodie has a reputation beyond reputeTodie has a reputation beyond reputeTodie has a reputation beyond reputeTodie has a reputation beyond reputeTodie has a reputation beyond reputeTodie has a reputation beyond reputeTodie has a reputation beyond reputeTodie has a reputation beyond reputeTodie has a reputation beyond reputeTodie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue.rellik View Post
Then maybe a combo on level and exponential increase?
i think said problem would remian, but maybe... that and possibly a cap. (IMO it'll need a cap - even if its quite high - or have the exponential increase be quite slow)

Todie has 911 Posts

Desirable challenges in SC II ? More strategy, less endless juggling of obvious "must-do" actions

MBS unit prod could make MORE sense - - an altered macro mechanic COULD involve actual strategic decision making.
With great sensibility comes great responsibility

pm.gif   

Old 07-18-2008

Sweden Celebrimor
BF Member
 Celebrimor was born to leadCelebrimor was born to leadCelebrimor was born to leadCelebrimor was born to leadCelebrimor was born to leadCelebrimor was born to leadCelebrimor was born to lead

Make it cost a level, that way its always relative to how hard it was to get were you are now.

pm.gif