Warcraft Legacy Starcraft Legacy BlizzForums
The Future?

Go Back   BlizzForums > Games > StarCraft Discussion

StarCraft Discussion StarCraft & Brood War lie herein.

Old 01-30-2009

United States cassius987
BF Member
 cassius987 is a god among mere mortalscassius987 is a god among mere mortalscassius987 is a god among mere mortalscassius987 is a god among mere mortalscassius987 is a god among mere mortalscassius987 is a god among mere mortalscassius987 is a god among mere mortalscassius987 is a god among mere mortalscassius987 is a god among mere mortalscassius987 is a god among mere mortalscassius987 is a god among mere mortals
Default Min. VRAM speculation?

Anyone have a good guess as to how much VRAM I'll need to run this game? I haven't gotten a new game since Warcraft 3 so I'm behind the times. I currently have 64 MB of VRAM and the only games I run are SC, WC3 occasionally, and Myth I and II (teh best).

I am looking at a couple of computers and it looks like I'll be presented with the choice of either 256 or 512 MB of VRAM. Thoughts?

cassius987 has 80 Posts

Think you of the fact that a deaf person cannot hear. Then, what deafness may we not all possess? What senses do we lack that we cannot see and cannot hear another world all around us?
--Quotation of the Orange Catholic Bible from Frank Herbert's Dune

And in my darkest moment, fetal and weeping, the Moon tells me a secret (my confidant): "As full and bright as I am, this Light is not my own." And a million light reflections pass over me.
--Excerpt from Tool's "Reflection"

pm.gif   

Old 01-30-2009

United States das1988
BF Member
 das1988 is dominating!das1988 is dominating!das1988 is dominating!das1988 is dominating!das1988 is dominating!das1988 is dominating!das1988 is dominating!das1988 is dominating!das1988 is dominating!das1988 is dominating!das1988 is dominating!

I'm guessing 128mb VRAM at the bare minimum.
If you have the choice go with 512MB; you'll be doing yourself a favor in the long run.

das1988 has 309 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 01-30-2009

Israel Eligor
BF Member
 Eligor has become enlightenedEligor has become enlightenedEligor has become enlightenedEligor has become enlightenedEligor has become enlightenedEligor has become enlightenedEligor has become enlightenedEligor has become enlightenedEligor has become enlightenedEligor has become enlightenedEligor has become enlightened

Probably 128, but that'll run the game only at the barest minimum. Basically you need at least an FX. I'd get something newer with 256 tho' just to be sure.

Eligor has 414 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 01-30-2009

United States cassius987
BF Member
 cassius987 is a god among mere mortalscassius987 is a god among mere mortalscassius987 is a god among mere mortalscassius987 is a god among mere mortalscassius987 is a god among mere mortalscassius987 is a god among mere mortalscassius987 is a god among mere mortalscassius987 is a god among mere mortalscassius987 is a god among mere mortalscassius987 is a god among mere mortalscassius987 is a god among mere mortals

An FX? Sorry, me no have intelligence. I really don't know enough about the subject. I think the graphics cards are by NVIDIA.

EDIT: NVIDIA or ATI, depending on what I go with.

Last edited by cassius987; 01-30-2009 at 12:46 AM.
cassius987 has 80 Posts

Think you of the fact that a deaf person cannot hear. Then, what deafness may we not all possess? What senses do we lack that we cannot see and cannot hear another world all around us?

And in my darkest moment, fetal and weeping, the Moon tells me a secret (my confidant): "As full and bright as I am, this Light is not my own." And a million light reflections pass over me.

pm.gif   

Old 01-30-2009

United States XBSHX
BF Member
 XBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassius987 View Post
Anyone have a good guess as to how much VRAM I'll need to run this game? I haven't gotten a new game since Warcraft 3 so I'm behind the times. I currently have 64 MB of VRAM and the only games I run are SC, WC3 occasionally, and Myth I and II (teh best).

I am looking at a couple of computers and it looks like I'll be presented with the choice of either 256 or 512 MB of VRAM. Thoughts?
Video cards are not measured in only "VRAM" anymore. (VRAM isn't even used in video cards anymore, they now use GDDR RAM)

A GeForce 6600 could have 256mb of memory and a Radeon 4650 can also have 256mb of memory but the radeon 4650 is much faster than the geforce 6600. What you should be looking for is the model/series number of the video card. Anything above a geforce 7800 or a radeon 2600 should run the game on medium/high settings at a fairly good framerate.

Now for smooth gameplay you'll also want at least 1gb of system RAM. The more the better.

EDIT: GeForce is the nvidia brand of video cards and Radeon is the AMD/ATI brand of video cards.

XBSHX has 3,215 Posts

Zergling seagull sound NEEDS to go.

pm.gif  Send a message via MSN to XBSHX  

Old 01-30-2009

United States cassius987
BF Member

Thanks for the good advice. I've never had it explained to me before. And since you brought it up I'll have anywhere from 2-4 GB of system RAM. I made well sure of that.

Here is an example of one of the graphics packages I'm looking at and based on what you said it sounds like something you would approve of...:
NVIDIA GeForce 9400M + 9600M GT with 256MB or 512MB

...I must say that I really appreciate all of the candid advice. It came at light speed and was honest and useful.

cassius987 has 80 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 01-30-2009

United States XBSHX
BF Member
 XBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to all

Quote:
Thanks for the good advice. I've never had it explained to me before. And since you brought it up I'll have anywhere from 2-4 GB of system RAM. I made well sure of that.

Here is an example of one of the graphics packages I'm looking at and based on what you said it sounds like something you would approve of...:

...I must say that I really appreciate all of the candid advice. It came at light speed and was honest and useful.
2GB of system RAM will more than likely be perfect for sc2. Anything more is a bonus.

Both of those are mobile variants of the GeForce 9 series of chips so I'm guessing you're getting a notebook? I would go for the 512mb version if you have the cash to spare. Either of them will more than likely have a solid framerate on high settings.

XBSHX has 3,215 Posts

Old 01-30-2009

United States cassius987
BF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBSHX View Post
Both of those are mobile variants of the GeForce 9 series of chips so I'm guessing you're getting a notebook? I would go for the 512mb version if you have the cash to spare. Either of them will more than likely have a solid framerate on high settings.
I'm either looking at an iMac for my wife and I to share or a MacBook Pro that would be 99% mine. I am using a PowerBook G4 presently and it's running strong but it is getting too outdated to do several things I want or need, especially things involving music recording. A lot of new drivers for pro audio devices only work with Leopard. My wife is in graphics too so having a computer that can handle new software in that area is also important. She's running Adobe CS3 on her 6-year-old PowerBook just fine but I know one of these days they're just going to force you to use Leopard, which neither of our computers could really handle an upgrade to. So it's time to evolve a bit. I could just upgrade mine for more disk space, RAM, etc. to handle Leopard--it's only 4 years old, so the features are much more current--but that still seems like a temporary fix at best. Eventually it will be totally outpaced.

Last edited by cassius987; 01-30-2009 at 01:09 AM.
cassius987 has 80 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 01-30-2009

Ajman planetx
BF Member
 planetx has much to be proud ofplanetx has much to be proud ofplanetx has much to be proud ofplanetx has much to be proud ofplanetx has much to be proud ofplanetx has much to be proud ofplanetx has much to be proud ofplanetx has much to be proud ofplanetx has much to be proud ofplanetx has much to be proud of

128mb if you can stand playing at the bare minimum.
512mb DDR2 would be good or preferably 256mb DDR3
SC2 runs on pixel shader 2.0 and DX9, so it should be running pretty fast on most cards.
Theoretically if Geforce 4 supported shader 2.0 and has 128mb you would be able to run SC2.

pm.gif   

Old 01-30-2009

United States cameronielsen
BF Member
 cameronielsen is dominating!cameronielsen is dominating!cameronielsen is dominating!cameronielsen is dominating!cameronielsen is dominating!cameronielsen is dominating!cameronielsen is dominating!cameronielsen is dominating!cameronielsen is dominating!cameronielsen is dominating!cameronielsen is dominating!

Chipset Model: Intel GMA X3100
VRAM (Total): 144 MB
RAM - 2MB
Guess my one year old Macbook will have to do. Hopefully it will limit how much I play since I have more productive things to worry about...

pm.gif   

Old 01-30-2009

United States XBSHX
BF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetx View Post
128mb if you can stand playing at the bare minimum.
512mb DDR2 would be good or preferably 256mb DDR3
SC2 runs on pixel shader 2.0 and DX9, so it should be running pretty fast on most cards.
Theoretically if Geforce 4 supported shader 2.0 and has 128mb you would be able to run SC2.
It wouldn't run at a playable framerate.
Just because a card supports a certain feature doesn't mean its architecture is efficient and powerful enough to use it in any practical manner.

Last edited by XBSHX; 01-30-2009 at 01:59 AM.
XBSHX has 3,215 Posts

Old 01-30-2009

Ajman planetx
BF Member
 planetx has much to be proud ofplanetx has much to be proud ofplanetx has much to be proud ofplanetx has much to be proud ofplanetx has much to be proud ofplanetx has much to be proud ofplanetx has much to be proud ofplanetx has much to be proud ofplanetx has much to be proud ofplanetx has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBSHX View Post
It wouldn't run at a playable framerate.
Just because a card supports a certain feature doesn't mean its architecture is efficient and powerful enough to use it in any practical manner.
thats why i mentioned to play it at bare minimum and for the GF 4 theoretically. Never said you can run it with 50fps with GF4.

I assume anything around 7600GT and X1650XT can run it good with lower settings. Preferably if you O'C your card!

pm.gif   

Old 01-30-2009

Poland spychi
Twilight Spychi
 spychi might just love this place a little bit too muchspychi might just love this place a little bit too muchspychi might just love this place a little bit too muchspychi might just love this place a little bit too muchspychi might just love this place a little bit too muchspychi might just love this place a little bit too muchspychi might just love this place a little bit too muchspychi might just love this place a little bit too muchspychi might just love this place a little bit too muchspychi might just love this place a little bit too muchspychi might just love this place a little bit too much

Quote:

If StarCraft 2 will use PhysX than hell you'll have a good combo.
9400 for PhysX acceleration and the 9600 GT for main stream.
BTW M stands for mobile...you will have such laptop with two diffrent GPU's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by planetx View Post
512mb DDR2 would be good or
someone actually made such card?!

spychi has 3,254 Posts

Hidden Content:

The true epicness of StarCraft, StarCraft 2 and Mass Effect.
Interstella 5555
The 5tory of the 5ecret 5tar 5ystem

pm.gif   

Old 01-30-2009

United States cassius987
BF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spychi View Post
BTW M stands for mobile...you will have such laptop with two diffrent GPU's?
I took that spec off of the new PowerBook Pro.

For an iMac it's more like this: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GS with 512MB memory, ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO with 256MB.

cassius987 has 80 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 01-30-2009

Canada Zeratul_101
BF Member
 Zeratul_101 is on a distinguished road

you mean the macbook pro? :P but ya, those specs are correct

so physx is confirmed for sc2?

pm.gif