Warcraft Legacy Starcraft Legacy BlizzForums
The Future?

Go Back   BlizzForums > Games > StarCraft Discussion

StarCraft Discussion StarCraft & Brood War lie herein.

Old 01-12-2009

BlizzForums GnaReffotsirk
Booted too ooften
 GnaReffotsirk has become enlightenedGnaReffotsirk has become enlightenedGnaReffotsirk has become enlightenedGnaReffotsirk has become enlightenedGnaReffotsirk has become enlightenedGnaReffotsirk has become enlightenedGnaReffotsirk has become enlightenedGnaReffotsirk has become enlightenedGnaReffotsirk has become enlightenedGnaReffotsirk has become enlightenedGnaReffotsirk has become enlightened

Are we talking about 1.4 or 1.1? I don't have 1.1 --

GnaReffotsirk has 796 Posts

Starcraft: Survivors can be downloaded here:
http://www.blizzforums.com/showthread.php?t=20882
Update: 11-28-2008, Chapter 2 Guide

pm.gif   

Old 01-12-2009

United States JCarrill0
BnetGamer1
 JCarrill0 has a spectacular aura aboutJCarrill0 has a spectacular aura aboutJCarrill0 has a spectacular aura about

We are talking 1.4
I tried using Current player. The trigger doesn't remove the extra chrysalis.
I tried using player 12. The trigger removes all the chrysalis. I tried this idea in version 1.1 as well. Same problem. I just tried ti again. Still removes them all
I used ALL Players, and I get the same problem, It removes ALL the Chrysalis

JCarrill0 has 93 Posts

JC's Starcraft Maps | Current Projects: (4)Passage (coming soon), Mercenaries III

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to JCarrill0 Send a message via MSN to JCarrill0 Send a message via Yahoo to JCarrill0 

Old 01-12-2009

BlizzForums spinesheath
Trigger Mathemagician
 spinesheath is unstoppable!spinesheath is unstoppable!spinesheath is unstoppable!spinesheath is unstoppable!spinesheath is unstoppable!spinesheath is unstoppable!spinesheath is unstoppable!spinesheath is unstoppable!spinesheath is unstoppable!spinesheath is unstoppable!spinesheath is unstoppable!

You can always add another switch solely for the purpose of limiting the spawning number to 1.

The problem with your remove trigger is that the condition is met for 8 players (IF there are 8 players in the game). Removing the unit actually takes a short time, so the condition will also be met if there are only 2 chrysalis left and one is about to be removed. Thus that one will be removed and then another one.
Chances are that a switch is updated faster (it's kinda tricky in multiplayer games) and thus after you create the first chrysalis the trigger won't run a second time.

Setting the trigger for an unused force will mean that the trigger doesn't exist.A trigger for a force is just a collection of triggers for all players in that force. AllPlayers is another force if you want to see it like that.

What you also could do: First, spawn the chrysalis like before. Then, add a trigger for all players that gives all chrysalis to "current player". The units should be handed through to the last player, P8 if that one is in the game. Then you create 3 more triggers for all players like this:
C: CurrentPlayer brings at least 5 chrysalis to Anywhere
A: Remove 4 Chrysalis for CurrentPlayer

C: CurrentPlayer brings at least 3 chrysalis to Anywhere
A: Remove 2 Chrysalis for CurrentPlayer

C: CurrentPlayer brings at least 2 chrysalis to Anywhere
A: Remove 1 Chrysalis for CurrentPlayer

This will reduce the number of chrysalis for every single player to 1. Since only the last player has some chrysalis (he has as many as there are players in the game), only one will be left over. The last player does not necessarily have to be P8.

(btw, if you intend for P8 to always be in the game, forget about all this and write all triggers for P8 exclusively...)

spinesheath has 1,456 Posts

pm.gif Send a message via ICQ to spinesheath  

Old 01-12-2009

United States JCarrill0
BnetGamer1
 JCarrill0 has a spectacular aura aboutJCarrill0 has a spectacular aura aboutJCarrill0 has a spectacular aura about

Wouldn't that allow a certain player to see where the Chrysalis is? The whole point is to NOT allow them to know where it is at, thus why I have added a random spawning triggers.

EDIT: and this does allow other players to see where they spawn. a very bad idea.

The trigger I had before was simplistic and worked how ever it spawned 8 time cause the ALL players force. I am going to try limiting it to player 1 force.

EDIT2: That worked. All I had to do was move it from ALL players force. To just player 1. But i need to test it again cuase what if someone doesn't choose player 1?

EDIT3: Updated the map 1.5 (beta) anyone want help test it on BNET?

Last edited by JCarrill0; 01-12-2009 at 07:03 PM.
JCarrill0 has 93 Posts

JC's Starcraft Maps | Current Projects: (4)Passage (coming soon), Mercenaries III

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to JCarrill0 Send a message via MSN to JCarrill0 Send a message via Yahoo to JCarrill0 

Old 01-13-2009

BlizzForums spinesheath
Trigger Mathemagician
 spinesheath is unstoppable!spinesheath is unstoppable!spinesheath is unstoppable!spinesheath is unstoppable!spinesheath is unstoppable!spinesheath is unstoppable!spinesheath is unstoppable!spinesheath is unstoppable!spinesheath is unstoppable!spinesheath is unstoppable!spinesheath is unstoppable!

If P1 is not in the game or leaves the game at some point the trigger will not be executed anymore.

You DID spawn the chrysalis for P8 before, didn't you? That means that P( will see where it spawned. So, as I already said somewhere: Spawn it in some far off location, give it to P12 or so and THEN move it somewhere else. If you do that, it won't matter for which player you spawned the chrysalis; the only thing the players will see is that a new chrysalis was spawned somewhere in the corner of the map. Once it belongs to P12 players won't be able to see what you do with it.

Old 01-13-2009

United States JCarrill0
BnetGamer1

Try downloading my map. It already does that.
Really it doesn't bite.

On a side note: I appreciate people offering advice, however please download my map if you are going to help. A lot of issues are listed in the newest versions for those trying to help can see a log file of Known issues from Previous version. I don't have any KNOWN Issues atm so I removed the log file.
Simply guessing solutions can be helpful, but annoying as well since I may have already tried that idea, and if the person offering help downloads the map, they would see that.

JCarrill0 has 93 Posts

Old 01-13-2009

BlizzForums spinesheath
Trigger Mathemagician

I did download the map. My suggestions were actually based on what I saw there.

Your map definately has an issue at the moment, since there is a trigger for P8 that is essential for removing chrysalis, but P8 might not be in the game, so the trigger won't be executed.

I also wonder why you have a trigger that removes the minerals in the center at the beginning of the game, right at the start and does nothing else. You could just as well remove them in the editor.

Old 01-13-2009

United States JCarrill0
BnetGamer1

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinesheath View Post
Your map definately has an issue at the moment, since there is a trigger for P8 that is essential for removing chrysalis, but P8 might not be in the game, so the trigger won't be executed.
I am not sure what you mean, it is set for player 1. It spawns for player 8, then give them to player 12, all in the same trigger. Player 8 Never see's the Chrysalis spawn (I tested this)
The remove trigger is separate and I don't see any issues unless someone doesn't choose player 1 (which is unlikely) so it'll work fine, plus the extra only happen the first time it spawns after that It doesn't seem to spawn extra.

If you could come up with a solution (That works) better then they way I have it set up, I am all ears, but I haven't seen anything you said to be helpful, since I have used all the ideas you have suggested.

Quote:
I also wonder why you have a trigger that removes the minerals in the center at the beginning of the game, right at the start and does nothing else. You could just as well remove them in the editor.
I dunno, felt like it. Is that problem?

Last edited by JCarrill0; 01-13-2009 at 05:53 AM.
JCarrill0 has 93 Posts

Old 01-13-2009

BlizzForums spinesheath
Trigger Mathemagician

Well then you should update your linked file. When I last downloaded it - right before I made my last post - P8 held the "Remove extra chrysalis" trigger, and P1 had no trigger related to chrysalis spawning at all.

Well, I am pretty sure that most of my suggestions work out fine if implemented correctly.

Quote:
What you also could do: First, spawn the chrysalis like before. Then, add a trigger for all players that gives all chrysalis to "current player". The units should be handed through to the last player, P8 if that one is in the game. Then you create 3 more triggers for all players like this:
C: CurrentPlayer brings at least 5 chrysalis to Anywhere
A: Remove 4 Chrysalis for CurrentPlayer

C: CurrentPlayer brings at least 3 chrysalis to Anywhere
A: Remove 2 Chrysalis for CurrentPlayer

C: CurrentPlayer brings at least 2 chrysalis to Anywhere
A: Remove 1 Chrysalis for CurrentPlayer
If you time and condition everything correctly, this one WILL spawn x chrysalis, remove all but one and then give it to P12. Do that in a special location and you're done.
It might be bothersome to condition everything correctly, though, because of the trigger order in AllPlayers triggers.

Anyways, right now I would only suggest the following:
Put all essential, not human-player-related triggers into P1's slot and everything will run fine as long as P1 is in the game. Using allPlayers-triggers to simulate single-player-triggers is tricky in general and maybe a little too tricky for you at the moment.

About the remove minerals trigger: Such triggers make the code messy and hard to follow (aka "what the hell is that supposed to be good for?"). If you want people to download your map and check the triggers out you should keep your code clean and understandable or else nobody will bother spending so much time as it requires to understand what you actually are doing.

Old 01-13-2009

United States JCarrill0
BnetGamer1

Quote:
Well then you should update your linked file. When I last downloaded it - right before I made my last post - P8 held the "Remove extra chrysalis" trigger, and P1 had no trigger related to chrysalis spawning at all.
hmm I have version 1.6 that I updated last night from 1.5, but it is in player 1 Location. (maybe i changed it and didn't know (sorry)

Quote:
Well, I am pretty sure that most of my suggestions work out fine if implemented correctly.
That idea allows player 8 to see where the spawn and where it goes, before it is given to player 12, which gives him the advantage, which is what I am trying to prevent.

Quote:
If you time and condition everything correctly, this one WILL spawn x chrysalis, remove all but one and then give it to P12. Do that in a special location and you're done.
It might be bothersome to condition everything correctly, though, because of the trigger order in AllPlayers triggers.
So your idea suggest I make another location that allows the player to see that location, but then moves to another location without player able to see, only to start randomizing? why cant you figure out how the trigger I made will work? Look at the "Remove Extra Chrysalis" Trigger. it works just not if it is placed in the ALL Players Force. Besides I got the trigger to work now.
Quote:
Anyways, right now I would only suggest the following:
Put all essential, not human-player-related triggers into P1's slot and everything will run fine as long as P1 is in the game. Using allPlayers-triggers to simulate single-player-triggers is tricky in general and maybe a little too tricky for you at the moment.
All my triggers are working correctly other then the Remove extra Chrysalis. why fix something that is not broke? If I am not understanding what you mean perhaps I can give you the same version I have and you can show me on Bnet the bugs that I am not seeing. The spawning trigger works correctly, except when the game starts. the first time it spawns it creates extra chrysalis. but after that, the next time the switch is toggled, it works correctly. (that gives me an idea)

Quote:
About the remove minerals trigger: Such triggers make the code messy and hard to follow (aka "what the hell is that supposed to be good for?"). If you want people to download your map and check the triggers out you should keep your code clean and understandable or else nobody will bother spending so much time as it requires to understand what you actually are doing.
Open the Map in Staredit. after that. how is the code messy? The triggers are organized and labeled. I guess if your looking in an advanced trigger editor or a strings editor it would become confusing, but that's a problem that is with the user looking at my map. If they use a standard editor, Its is clearly organized, plus I want the minerals there if Player use melee instead of UMS, I removed the Minerals cuase that is a spawn location.

EDIT: ROFLMAO, check this out... Forget the whole "REMOVE Extra Chrysalis" Trigger. I stated ealier.. that the problem with it spawning "Extra Chrysalis" the first time, but after that the trigger worked properly, well here is what I did.
I tossed the trigger that Removes extra Chrysalis, however I have a trigger that set the "spawn Chrysalis" Switch after the game starts. I added a wait trigger, and then Toggled the switch Again. The wonderful thing is, IT FIXED THE EXTRA Chrysalis! lol Don't ask me why I didnt think of this earlier, but it works now.

Last edited by JCarrill0; 01-13-2009 at 06:22 PM.
JCarrill0 has 93 Posts