Warcraft Legacy Starcraft Legacy BlizzForums
The Future?

Go Back   BlizzForums > Games > StarCraft Discussion

StarCraft Discussion StarCraft & Brood War lie herein.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes


Old 01-06-2009
 
#16
United States Gradius
For Vengenace
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 5,020
 Gradius is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!Gradius is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!Gradius is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!Gradius is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!Gradius is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!Gradius is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!Gradius is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!Gradius is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!Gradius is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!Gradius is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!Gradius is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCarrill0 View Post
I just think.. why have us pay for it,
Because it's canonical - it really happened in the StarCraft universe.

Too bad that they didn't want to spend more time in polishing the missions up, seeing as how they were going to be making money off it...
 
Gradius has 5,020 Posts

Best StarCraft II Poster 2008 | Best Moderator 2008
Best StarCraft II Poster 2007 Runner Up | Most-Liked StarCraft II Poster 2007
 

Gradius is offline


pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to Gradius Send a message via MSN to Gradius  
Reply With Quote


Old 01-06-2009
 
#17
United States JCarrill0
BnetGamer1
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 93
 JCarrill0 has a spectacular aura aboutJCarrill0 has a spectacular aura aboutJCarrill0 has a spectacular aura about
Default

I think they didn't know how the map editing worked. If you look at some of the AI scripts. Its completly Messed up. I fix the campaign, but. why?
 
JCarrill0 has 93 Posts

JC's Starcraft Maps | Current Projects: (4)Passage (coming soon), Mercenaries III

 

JCarrill0 is offline


pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to JCarrill0 Send a message via MSN to JCarrill0 Send a message via Yahoo to JCarrill0 
Reply With Quote


Old 01-06-2009
 
#18
Canada Kimera757*
The Last Cerebrate
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,767
 Kimera757* is made of winKimera757* is made of winKimera757* is made of winKimera757* is made of winKimera757* is made of winKimera757* is made of winKimera757* is made of winKimera757* is made of winKimera757* is made of winKimera757* is made of winKimera757* is made of win
Default

I don't want to really discuss payment. There are plenty of crappy official StarCraft things (eg Alternity: StarCraft Edition) that also cost money.

I think Insurrection was a bit better. The terran campaign had a decent storyline, and the overarching story was pretty decent as well.
 

StarCraft wiki; a complete and referenced database on the StarCraft game series, StarCraft II, Lore, Characters and Gameplay.

Three products = one game plus two expansions.

"Do you hear them whispering from the stars? The galaxy will burn with their coming."
 

Kimera757* is offline


pm.gif   
Reply With Quote


Old 01-09-2009
 
#19
United States Legion
BF Member
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 85
 Legion is dominating!Legion is dominating!Legion is dominating!Legion is dominating!Legion is dominating!Legion is dominating!Legion is dominating!Legion is dominating!Legion is dominating!Legion is dominating!Legion is dominating!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gradius View Post
Because it's canonical - it really happened in the StarCraft universe.

Too bad that they didn't want to spend more time in polishing the missions up, seeing as how they were going to be making money off it...
I think Blizz at the time should have gotten their heads outta their asses and looked around better. They probably didn't want Starcraft to die anytime soon and thus tried pumping "authorizations" in third-party campaigns. They simply didn't realize the community was inventing things of their own. Things that those crappy companies could never create.

Oh well. I'd sooner pay for LotC or TAC than Insurrection or that other crap one.
 
 

Legion is offline


pm.gif   
Reply With Quote


Old 01-09-2009
 
#20
Russian Federation MrFlibble
BF Member
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 141
 MrFlibble was born to leadMrFlibble was born to leadMrFlibble was born to leadMrFlibble was born to leadMrFlibble was born to leadMrFlibble was born to leadMrFlibble was born to lead
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimera757* View Post
I think Insurrection was a bit better. The terran campaign had a decent storyline, and the overarching story was pretty decent as well.
Agreed. Retribution (except for a few missions) is too repetitive: you get a base with all tier 1 buildings, and fight against poorly defended AI.

Both add-ons feature quite mediocre map design, and it seems that the level designers randomly picked terrain types for each mission, just to make sure every type is present (regardless of what planet the action took place on).
 
MrFlibble has 141 Posts


"Answers are a perilous grip on the universe. They can appear sensible yet explain nothing." - Frank Herbert
 

MrFlibble is offline


pm.gif   
Reply With Quote


Old 01-09-2009
 
#21
Argentina Eblake
BF Member
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 8
 Eblake is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legion View Post
I think Blizz at the time should have gotten their heads outta their asses and looked around better. They probably didn't want Starcraft to die anytime soon and thus tried pumping "authorizations" in third-party campaigns. They simply didn't realize the community was inventing things of their own. Things that those crappy companies could never create.

Oh well. I'd sooner pay for LotC or TAC than Insurrection or that other crap one.
I think it has more to do with when Starcraft was released. It was still the era of shovelware (Doom 2, Quake, Warcraft 2, etc), where everyone released awful compilations of maps without any control & authorization, using editors & downloads from Internet.

I remember the amount of bad Warcraft II ones was enormous .

I guess Blizzard wanted to control how their product was used, and prevent some abuse; same reason why they sued over Stellar Forces.
 
 

Eblake is offline


pm.gif   
Reply With Quote


Old 01-09-2009
 
#22
United States Legion
BF Member
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 85
 Legion is dominating!Legion is dominating!Legion is dominating!Legion is dominating!Legion is dominating!Legion is dominating!Legion is dominating!Legion is dominating!Legion is dominating!Legion is dominating!Legion is dominating!
Default

True, but I don't see how the authorized Starcraft shit is any better than what yiu call shovelware.
 
 

Legion is offline


pm.gif   
Reply With Quote


Old 01-09-2009
 
#23
Argentina Eblake
BF Member
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 8
 Eblake is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Never said it was.

I just speculated what Blizzard's intentions may have been, doesn't mean I think they succeeded at all. Some of the missions in those packs were agravatting.
 
 

Eblake is offline


pm.gif   
Reply With Quote


Old 01-11-2009
 
#24
Russian Federation MrFlibble
BF Member
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 141
 MrFlibble was born to leadMrFlibble was born to leadMrFlibble was born to leadMrFlibble was born to leadMrFlibble was born to leadMrFlibble was born to leadMrFlibble was born to lead
Default

Apart from the bad design, I think the Insurrection storyline is more or less decent - it seems that the "Zerg invasion" plot has a larger fun-factor capability than the "recover an artifact" plot. However, the fact that all the "good guys" ended being eliminated by the Zerg somehow spoiled this quite a bit.

Another thing about the Insurrection campaigns is that some details were not elaborated enough - e.g. how the "rebels" were actually far more powerful and numerous than both the local militia and the Confederate forces; or why the "Council of Inquiry", given the situation on Brontes IV (infestation, rebels etc. etc.) took their sweet time eliminating colonists for no real reason except being "evil"; or why Tassadar, a High Templar, has a Judicator under his command. There are also minor inconsistencies like in the mission (Terran campaign) where you need to destroy the "Atkinson airfield" so that the rebels "won't take to the skies". However, in this mission the rebels already can produce Battlecruisers while the player only has uncloakable Wraiths.
 
MrFlibble has 141 Posts


"Answers are a perilous grip on the universe. They can appear sensible yet explain nothing." - Frank Herbert
 

MrFlibble is offline


pm.gif   
Reply With Quote


Old 01-11-2009
 
#25
Canada Kimera757*
The Last Cerebrate
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,767
 Kimera757* is made of winKimera757* is made of winKimera757* is made of winKimera757* is made of winKimera757* is made of winKimera757* is made of winKimera757* is made of winKimera757* is made of winKimera757* is made of winKimera757* is made of winKimera757* is made of win
Default

I don't think Judicators automatically outrank Templar in military affairs, although they seemed to be the highest ranking Caste.

I suspect Aldaris had orders from the Conclave (or was a Conclave member) which was why he could push Tassadar around. There would have been a hierarchy of both Templars and Judicators.
 

StarCraft wiki; a complete and referenced database on the StarCraft game series, StarCraft II, Lore, Characters and Gameplay.

Three products = one game plus two expansions.

"Do you hear them whispering from the stars? The galaxy will burn with their coming."
 

Kimera757* is offline


pm.gif   
Reply With Quote


Old 01-11-2009
 
#26
United States Legion
BF Member
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 85
 Legion is dominating!Legion is dominating!Legion is dominating!Legion is dominating!Legion is dominating!Legion is dominating!Legion is dominating!Legion is dominating!Legion is dominating!Legion is dominating!Legion is dominating!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlibble View Post
Apart from the bad design, I think the Insurrection storyline is more or less decent - it seems that the "Zerg invasion" plot has a larger fun-factor capability than the "recover an artifact" plot. However, the fact that all the "good guys" ended being eliminated by the Zerg somehow spoiled this quite a bit.

Another thing about the Insurrection campaigns is that some details were not elaborated enough - e.g. how the "rebels" were actually far more powerful and numerous than both the local militia and the Confederate forces; or why the "Council of Inquiry", given the situation on Brontes IV (infestation, rebels etc. etc.) took their sweet time eliminating colonists for no real reason except being "evil"; or why Tassadar, a High Templar, has a Judicator under his command. There are also minor inconsistencies like in the mission (Terran campaign) where you need to destroy the "Atkinson airfield" so that the rebels "won't take to the skies". However, in this mission the rebels already can produce Battlecruisers while the player only has uncloakable Wraiths.
Haha. I always hated the Council's representative's voice acting. It sounded so gay.
 
 

Legion is offline


pm.gif   
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
StarCraft II Video Archive Gradius StarCraft Discussion 156 02-07-2009 09:46 PM
StarCraft II - Q&A Batch 47 Wankey StarCraft Discussion 37 12-19-2008 02:32 AM
StarCraft II Q&A - Batch 46 scorpio19 StarCraft Discussion 45 11-20-2008 08:01 PM
Starcraft II Discussion - FAQ & Guidelines Zero StarCraft Discussion 13 10-29-2008 07:40 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:15 PM.
Designed by XG3