Warcraft Legacy Starcraft Legacy BlizzForums
The Future?

Go Back   BlizzForums > Games > StarCraft Discussion

StarCraft Discussion StarCraft & Brood War lie herein.

Old 12-08-2007

Canada RODTHEGOD
Rise of the Black Leaf
 RODTHEGOD has been here far, far too longRODTHEGOD has been here far, far too longRODTHEGOD has been here far, far too longRODTHEGOD has been here far, far too longRODTHEGOD has been here far, far too longRODTHEGOD has been here far, far too longRODTHEGOD has been here far, far too longRODTHEGOD has been here far, far too longRODTHEGOD has been here far, far too longRODTHEGOD has been here far, far too longRODTHEGOD has been here far, far too long
Default Movies with the stereotypical 3 races of starcraft

Blizzard has stated that their goal with the 3 races in starcraft 2 was to kinda enhance the 3 current races so I was trying to think of all the movies that have some of, if not all of, the 3 stereotypical races of starcraft so we can try to think of all the possible ideas that could be implemented into starcraft 2.

There are some movies that we pretty much have all seen and know that blizzard used them in making starcraft 1 but there are some that are either not as well known or are just plain new.

So lets try to think of all the movies that have similer ideas and then try to come up with a few things that would be cool to see in starcraft 2.
I'll update this list of stuff as we get more movies

List of Movies

Starship Troopers
Alien
Aliens
Alien 3
Alien Resurrection
Predator
Predator 2
AVP
Independence day
War of the Worlds
Slither
Serenity
Dreamcatcher
The Spirits Within
The Faculty
Tremors
Tremors 2
Tremors 3
Tremors 4
Star Wars I
Star Wars II
Star Wars III
Star Wars IV
Star Wars V
Star Wars VI
Dune
Pitch Black
The Mist(i havent seen the mist yet but it looks like whats inside the mist kinda fits the zerg feel)

Idea's from looking at these Movies

Zerg Idea's

Underground caverns - a while ago, after watching movies like starship troopers and aliens, i was thinking it might be a cool idea that instead of having something like the nydas canal, the zerg might have a way to dig tunnels underground which can be used to move troops safely and undetected. however that idea instead turned into the creep vein which basically would function like the creep colony except you build them in kinda strings from the hatchery and they would be underground, each little section would then be able to "evolve" into a defencive building thing. as well since each zerg base is supposed to be like an entity with the buildings being organs, these creep veins would be like blood veins.

Isolation - in almost all the zergy kinda movies, theres 1 huge thing in commen, that is isolation, so i was thinking that perhaps the zerg could actually have a spell or something that temperarily prevents players from controling their units in a given area

Infectious - another commen idea, is the idea of infection so perhaps the zerg might get a cooler kinda infection thing, i'm not sure what though. Perhaps the zerg could infest a unit on the battlefield but the opposing player still thinks that its ok so then the infected unit can go into the enemy base and explode or something when the zerg player wants it too.

Terran Idea's

Command Cruiser - i was just thinking since the battlecruiser is so big what if it could actually build units, like it could actually land and then be able to build scv's and maybe marines. i think it would give the battlecruiser a more command center feel and would add to the battlecruiser lore.

Protoss Idea's

Mothership - i'm sure we all thought of different ways the mothership could work and the different abilities it could have but i was trying to think of a way the mothership could get the independence day mothership feel to it, first thing, i think it would need alot of shield points and also perhaps planet crecker could work a little differently, i'm thinking more like the independence day ship where it had to stop and then fire downward, and then where ever it hits would be the center point for this expanding circle of death

what other movies can you think of and what idea's can you get from those movies?

Last edited by RODTHEGOD; 12-15-2007 at 06:37 PM.
RODTHEGOD has 1,283 Posts

Its Only a matter of time

pm.gif   

Old 12-08-2007

United Kingdom ChaosSmurf
Kerrigan's Appointed Pony
 ChaosSmurf simply pwnsChaosSmurf simply pwnsChaosSmurf simply pwnsChaosSmurf simply pwnsChaosSmurf simply pwnsChaosSmurf simply pwnsChaosSmurf simply pwnsChaosSmurf simply pwnsChaosSmurf simply pwnsChaosSmurf simply pwnsChaosSmurf simply pwns

... How are War Of The Worlds or Serenity related to StarCraft?

Anyway, that Isolation idea sounds A) Horrifically unbalanced (unless it was used as a super-unit special power, as the Time Bomb has a similiar effect, I think?) and B) Like an enhanced version of that Defiler Spell that stops people shooting. I can never remember the names of those damn things >.>

Also, that Infection thing sounds a little like something I believe happens in Halo 3 (the Flood infection forms (the little thingies) could jump on enemies/friends and turn them into Flood ... I think.)

Other movies ... er ...
FF: The Spirits Within is about as relevent as some of the ones you mentioned I suppose

ChaosSmurf has 950 Posts

There appears to be a smurf in your forum.

pm.gif   

Old 12-08-2007

United States XBSHX
BF Member
 XBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to all

The baneling reminds me of the xenomorph's blood in the alien movies.

XBSHX has 3,215 Posts

Zergling seagull sound NEEDS to go.

pm.gif  Send a message via MSN to XBSHX  

Old 12-08-2007

Canada _X_
I wrote in black
 _X_ has become enlightened_X_ has become enlightened_X_ has become enlightened_X_ has become enlightened_X_ has become enlightened_X_ has become enlightened_X_ has become enlightened_X_ has become enlightened_X_ has become enlightened_X_ has become enlightened_X_ has become enlightened

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosSmurf View Post
... How are War Of The Worlds or Serenity related to StarCraft?
hmmm war of the world... one word: COLOSSUS

and for serenity well I guess you can say that the evil guys are like the dominion and Jim Raynor like the hero

Last edited by _X_; 12-11-2007 at 10:22 AM.
_X_ has 638 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 12-08-2007

United States XBSHX
BF Member
 XBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by _X_ View Post
hmmm war of the world... one word: COLOSUS

and for serenity well I guess you can say that the evil guys are like the dominion and Jim Raynor like the hero
Lots of southern accents in both SC and Serenity. Serenity looks a lot like something the terran would build also.

XBSHX has 3,215 Posts

Old 12-08-2007

ChaosSmurf simply pwnsChaosSmurf simply pwnsChaosSmurf simply pwnsChaosSmurf simply pwnsChaosSmurf simply pwnsChaosSmurf simply pwnsChaosSmurf simply pwnsChaosSmurf simply pwnsChaosSmurf simply pwnsChaosSmurf simply pwnsChaosSmurf simply pwns

Ah, fair points both. They should make the Mothership like the ships from Independance Day, they were so damn badass.

ChaosSmurf has 950 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 12-08-2007

United States Zero Revenge
32-bit Vampire Killer
 Zero Revenge is a jewel in the roughZero Revenge is a jewel in the roughZero Revenge is a jewel in the rough

Why is there nothing under the Protoss or Terran sections? Are you expecting us to do it?

Zero Revenge has 154 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 12-08-2007

United States XBSHX
BF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero Revenge View Post
Why is there nothing under the Protoss or Terran sections? Are you expecting us to do it?
Either that or he gave up before finishing.

The toss are much like predator and the zerg are a mix of the xenomorphs from Alien/s and the bugs from Starship Troopers.

XBSHX has 3,215 Posts

Old 12-08-2007

Canada _X_
I wrote in black
 _X_ has become enlightened_X_ has become enlightened_X_ has become enlightened_X_ has become enlightened_X_ has become enlightened_X_ has become enlightened_X_ has become enlightened_X_ has become enlightened_X_ has become enlightened_X_ has become enlightened_X_ has become enlightened

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBSHX View Post
Serenity looks a lot like something the terran would build also.
nova maybe. Not exact same thing but... Or maybe those super terrazine ghost things that were supposed to be in sc:g.

Which make me think that to add some sub-quest related to this story would be an awesome idea in the story mode.

_X_ has 638 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 12-08-2007

Canada pureWasted
Temporary Generic Title
 pureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to all

For what it's worth, I really like that infection idea. What if the unit remained under the owner's control, but if the player that infected it selects it there's a special button only available to them which basically turns over control, and once control is turned over maybe there's even another ability like suicide explosion or something. So the ideal way of using it would be to be patient and wait for the owner to unwittingly place it in some risky position, when you turn over control and inflict the most damage possible.

They're like sleeper agents. This is influenced primarily by (the new) Battlestar Galactica... not really a movie, but close enough.

edit: so it's still like what you described, ROD, only I guess I elaborated on why it is the owner still thinks it's okay - he'd have control until the infestor chooses otherwise.

pureWasted has 2,438 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 12-08-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by pureWasted View Post
For what it's worth, I really like that infection idea. What if the unit remained under the owner's control, but if the player that infected it selects it there's a special button only available to them which basically turns over control, and once control is turned over maybe there's even another ability like suicide explosion or something. So the ideal way of using it would be to be patient and wait for the owner to unwittingly place it in some risky position, when you turn over control and inflict the most damage possible.

They're like sleeper agents. This is influenced primarily by (the new) Battlestar Galactica... not really a movie, but close enough.
How about a timer, that both players can see, but the infector from 30 -> 0 and the infected only from 10 -> 0 (for example). This would stop it being horrifically overpowered against swarming opponents (get 3 of the units that infect, take out the whole lot)

EDIT: and medics can cure it, it only works on biological targets, etc.

ChaosSmurf has 950 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 12-08-2007

Canada RODTHEGOD
Rise of the Black Leaf
 RODTHEGOD has been here far, far too longRODTHEGOD has been here far, far too longRODTHEGOD has been here far, far too longRODTHEGOD has been here far, far too longRODTHEGOD has been here far, far too longRODTHEGOD has been here far, far too longRODTHEGOD has been here far, far too longRODTHEGOD has been here far, far too longRODTHEGOD has been here far, far too longRODTHEGOD has been here far, far too longRODTHEGOD has been here far, far too long

Quote:
How are War Of The Worlds or Serenity related to StarCraft?
basically the reasons stated above

Quote:
Anyway, that Isolation idea sounds A) Horrifically unbalanced (unless it was used as a super-unit special power, as the Time Bomb has a similiar effect, I think?) and B) Like an enhanced version of that Defiler Spell that stops people shooting. I can never remember the names of those damn things >.>
well the way i thought of it was that basically the spell would prevent you from giving orders so you couldnt tell it to attack anything specific or to move until the spell wor off but it would still defend it self from enemies that came in range

Quote:
Other movies ... er ...
FF: The Spirits Within is about as relevent as some of the ones you mentioned I suppose
i forgot about that movie, i'll add that to the list

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero Revenge View Post
ya i was expecting you guys to come up with a few ideas
but i'm sure i'll come up with a few idea's

Quote:
Originally Posted by pureWasted View Post

edit: so it's still like what you described, ROD, only I guess I elaborated on why it is the owner still thinks it's okay - he'd have control until the infestor chooses otherwise.
ya thats kinda what i was thinking except ya like chaosmurf said there would have to be some limitations like only on biological units and the medic could cure it, though i'm not sure about the time thing that you suggested smurf

RODTHEGOD has 1,283 Posts

Its Only a matter of time

pm.gif   

Old 12-11-2007

United States Fenix
Our Strength is Eternal
 Fenix has ascended to greatnessFenix has ascended to greatnessFenix has ascended to greatnessFenix has ascended to greatnessFenix has ascended to greatnessFenix has ascended to greatnessFenix has ascended to greatnessFenix has ascended to greatnessFenix has ascended to greatnessFenix has ascended to greatnessFenix has ascended to greatness

How the fuck can you forget Tremors man!? All four of them man!?! The first one even had Kevin Bacon and god damn Chinese guy from Big Trouble In Little China?! Shit the guy playing Burt Gummer would have shoot you to pieces by now!

Fenix has 1,122 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 12-11-2007

Bulgaria bugmaster
The Swarm Is Here
 bugmaster has a spectacular aura aboutbugmaster has a spectacular aura about

What about Star Wars?

I think the whole psi power thing is somehow similar to the force.

Every time I see a psi storm I remember those lightnings the siths used.

And the psi blades are like the light sabers

And Zeratul is an undercover Jedi

Maybe it could be cool if templars have an ability in SC 2 to push back or lift units, it could be like a defence. Lets say an ultralisk is charging to a templar, he uses the ability and pushes back the lisk and cast a psi storm

bugmaster has 322 Posts

Roaches, Lings with wings, Worms The Zerg are finally real Bugs now
I'm so happy!!!
Zergling 8/10, Hydralisk 9/10, Mutalisk 8/10, Ultralisk 10/10, Queen 9/10, Infester 5/10, Corrupter 8/10, Nydus Worm 10/10, Lurker 6/10, Roach ?5?/10, Infested Terran 9/10

pm.gif   

Old 12-11-2007

India Lord Kungai
Fury of the Swarm
 Lord Kungai is made of winLord Kungai is made of winLord Kungai is made of winLord Kungai is made of winLord Kungai is made of winLord Kungai is made of winLord Kungai is made of winLord Kungai is made of winLord Kungai is made of winLord Kungai is made of winLord Kungai is made of win

Yeah, but it would be cooler to have a zerg unit with telekinetic abilities like that. An Overlord evolution, maybe.

Lord Kungai has 1,712 Posts

pm.gif