Warcraft Legacy Starcraft Legacy BlizzForums
The Future?

Go Back   BlizzForums > Games > StarCraft Discussion

StarCraft Discussion StarCraft & Brood War lie herein.

Old 03-13-2008

United States ArchDreadReaper
Destroyer of Worlds
 ArchDreadReaper has become enlightenedArchDreadReaper has become enlightenedArchDreadReaper has become enlightenedArchDreadReaper has become enlightenedArchDreadReaper has become enlightenedArchDreadReaper has become enlightenedArchDreadReaper has become enlightenedArchDreadReaper has become enlightenedArchDreadReaper has become enlightenedArchDreadReaper has become enlightenedArchDreadReaper has become enlightened
Default [Discussion] Queen's Swarm

The Queen's Swarm ability is really a neat idea in theory. It turns any building into a turret, by creating a swarm of insects above it that can attack opponents. However, the animation for the thing is hideous. Seriously, it just creates a bunch of fireflies. Fireflies! Nothing spells fear like these sparkly-glowy little insects.

Of all the graphical things with the Zerg, this one irks me considerably. Any thoughts on how to communicate the same effect without the fireflies?

Personally, I feel that I giant black insect swarm, think with buzzing, would be a better choice.

-Dread_Reaper

ArchDreadReaper has 695 Posts

Axe the Overseer, turn the Infester into the Defiler, and find a place for the Roach.

Add this to your signature if you agree.

New Nullifier?
http://blizzforums.com/showthread.ph...676#post364676

pm.gif   

Old 03-13-2008

Canada Psi Warp
Psionic Sequence Initiate
 Psi Warp is made of winPsi Warp is made of winPsi Warp is made of winPsi Warp is made of winPsi Warp is made of winPsi Warp is made of winPsi Warp is made of winPsi Warp is made of winPsi Warp is made of winPsi Warp is made of winPsi Warp is made of win

Yes, the Zerg "Organ of Eternity" is hideous indeed.

Instead of glowing butterflies, make the Buildings themselves generate Seeker Spores that orbit above them, which suicides into ground and air enemy targets and takes a short time to come out again (kind of like Kael'thas and BloodMage's mana orbs)

-Psi

Psi Warp has 2,280 Posts

says: Lol I gotz Pwned By Zeratul X_x

pm.gif  Send a message via Yahoo to Psi Warp 

Old 03-13-2008

United States iAm
BF Member
 iAm is unstoppable!iAm is unstoppable!iAm is unstoppable!iAm is unstoppable!iAm is unstoppable!iAm is unstoppable!iAm is unstoppable!iAm is unstoppable!iAm is unstoppable!iAm is unstoppable!iAm is unstoppable!

Just make the buildings do the old Sunken colony attack. I mean all the buildings are "connected" together through the creep. So each building has to have some sort of tentacle type root system. So just have them shoot up from the ground.

iAm has 520 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 03-13-2008

Norway Raibozu
BF Member
 Raibozu is a jewel in the roughRaibozu is a jewel in the roughRaibozu is a jewel in the rough

Bah, this is what happens when a girl is in charge.
All of a sudden the giant tongue that rip marines apart get replaced by pretty glowing butterflies!

Raibozu has 30 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 03-13-2008

United States Bullet2head
The Hammer of Dawn
 Bullet2head IS THE KING OF THE WORLD!!!Bullet2head IS THE KING OF THE WORLD!!!Bullet2head IS THE KING OF THE WORLD!!!Bullet2head IS THE KING OF THE WORLD!!!Bullet2head IS THE KING OF THE WORLD!!!Bullet2head IS THE KING OF THE WORLD!!!Bullet2head IS THE KING OF THE WORLD!!!Bullet2head IS THE KING OF THE WORLD!!!Bullet2head IS THE KING OF THE WORLD!!!Bullet2head IS THE KING OF THE WORLD!!!Bullet2head IS THE KING OF THE WORLD!!!

I'm still against this. I'd rather have the Sunken and Spore colonies back. T and P got to keep thier basic defence, why fuck with Z players like that?

Bullet2head has 12,009 Posts

Thanks Bliss for the sig!
Spoiler (highlight to reveal text)
Haha you looked. Fag

pm.gif   

Old 03-14-2008

Destroyer of Worlds
 ArchDreadReaper has become enlightenedArchDreadReaper has become enlightenedArchDreadReaper has become enlightenedArchDreadReaper has become enlightenedArchDreadReaper has become enlightenedArchDreadReaper has become enlightenedArchDreadReaper has become enlightenedArchDreadReaper has become enlightenedArchDreadReaper has become enlightenedArchDreadReaper has become enlightenedArchDreadReaper has become enlightened

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet2head View Post
I'm still against this. I'd rather have the Sunken and Spore colonies back. T and P got to keep thier basic defence, why fuck with Z players like that?
Meh, I think they're trying to make the Zerg different. However, this does give them a huge amount of versatility on defense, being able to make any building into a turret. And the other abilities she has could be devastating. They're just a bit harder to use.

But yeah, the butterflies have got to go, seriously.

-Dread_Reaper

Axe the Overseer, turn the Infester into the Defiler, and find a place for the Roach.

New Nullifier?

pm.gif   

Old 03-14-2008

Australia Emerald
Mean and Green
 Emerald has been here far, far too longEmerald has been here far, far too longEmerald has been here far, far too longEmerald has been here far, far too longEmerald has been here far, far too longEmerald has been here far, far too longEmerald has been here far, far too longEmerald has been here far, far too longEmerald has been here far, far too longEmerald has been here far, far too longEmerald has been here far, far too long

I think I'd rather have the Sunkens and Spores back too. Without a Queen, your in trouble. I suppose you'll always have one around though, except it's weak...

I agree that the animation sucks. I like the idea of seeker spores orbiting the building, especially in a sweet pattern. When the enemy's in range, bam!

pm.gif   

Old 03-14-2008

Argentina Norfindel
Soon...
 Norfindel has become enlightenedNorfindel has become enlightenedNorfindel has become enlightenedNorfindel has become enlightenedNorfindel has become enlightenedNorfindel has become enlightenedNorfindel has become enlightenedNorfindel has become enlightenedNorfindel has become enlightenedNorfindel has become enlightenedNorfindel has become enlightened

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchDreadReaper View Post
The Queen's Swarm ability is really a neat idea in theory. It turns any building into a turret, by creating a swarm of insects above it that can attack opponents. However, the animation for the thing is hideous. Seriously, it just creates a bunch of fireflies. Fireflies! Nothing spells fear like these sparkly-glowy little insects.

Of all the graphical things with the Zerg, this one irks me considerably. Any thoughts on how to communicate the same effect without the fireflies?

Personally, I feel that I giant black insect swarm, think with buzzing, would be a better choice.

-Dread_Reaper
Yes, they look like nice little faerie, that should be changed, IMHO.

Norfindel has 2,003 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 03-14-2008

United States das1988
BF Member
 das1988 is dominating!das1988 is dominating!das1988 is dominating!das1988 is dominating!das1988 is dominating!das1988 is dominating!das1988 is dominating!das1988 is dominating!das1988 is dominating!das1988 is dominating!das1988 is dominating!

Have the building grow giant tumors that burst and spray a green liquid at the enemy. Justify it in lore, by saying the living organism that is the Zerg colony rejects foreign invaders by excreting a toxic fluid/acid from its organs.

Last edited by das1988; 03-15-2008 at 12:27 PM.
das1988 has 309 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 03-14-2008

Destroyer of Worlds

That's a somewhat interesting idea, but I don't know how plausible it would be in terms of graphics. I mean, projectile pus that fires over long distances with deadly accuracy? Seems sort of implausible. Good idea though, +rep for you!

-Dread_Reaper

New Nullifier?

pm.gif   

Old 03-14-2008

United States SpiderBrigade
disabled your radio gauge
 SpiderBrigade has become enlightenedSpiderBrigade has become enlightenedSpiderBrigade has become enlightenedSpiderBrigade has become enlightenedSpiderBrigade has become enlightenedSpiderBrigade has become enlightenedSpiderBrigade has become enlightenedSpiderBrigade has become enlightenedSpiderBrigade has become enlightenedSpiderBrigade has become enlightenedSpiderBrigade has become enlightened

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raibozu View Post
Bah, this is what happens when a girl is in charge.
All of a sudden the giant tongue that rip marines apart get replaced by pretty glowing butterflies!
I don't know, the girls I know would be pretty much in favor of an enormous tongue-tentacle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by das1988 View Post
Have the building grow giant tumors that burst and spray and a green liquid at the enemy. Justify it in lore, by saying the living organism that is the Zerg colony rejects foreign invaders by excreting a toxic fluid from its organs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchDreadReaper View Post
That's a somewhat interesting idea, but I don't know how plausible it would be in terms of graphics. I mean, projectile pus that fires over long distances with deadly accuracy? Seems sort of implausible.
I think the Swarm Infestation actually has a fairly short range, so that wouldn't be a problem. And this idea of swollen tumors is just great! Very Zerglike. How about swollen "galls" from which a black buzzing swarm emerges?

SpiderBrigade has 1,129 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 03-14-2008

Canada Storming Archon
BF Member
 Storming Archon has become enlightenedStorming Archon has become enlightenedStorming Archon has become enlightenedStorming Archon has become enlightenedStorming Archon has become enlightenedStorming Archon has become enlightenedStorming Archon has become enlightenedStorming Archon has become enlightenedStorming Archon has become enlightenedStorming Archon has become enlightenedStorming Archon has become enlightened

Yeah, the current animation for the Swarm Infestation is too... cute =/

How about the Queen comes and starts splashing a dark-purple liquid on the building and some spiked tentacles sprout from underneath the building and then these tentacles attack the enemy much like the Sunken Colony from SC I. Pretty neat IMO =)

pm.gif   

Old 03-15-2008

United States mr. peasant
 mr. peasant is a name known to allmr. peasant is a name known to allmr. peasant is a name known to allmr. peasant is a name known to allmr. peasant is a name known to allmr. peasant is a name known to allmr. peasant is a name known to allmr. peasant is a name known to allmr. peasant is a name known to allmr. peasant is a name known to allmr. peasant is a name known to all

Call me weird but I don't see the problem with the fireflies. To me, it works in that it drives the message that the Zerg are so evil that they even make cute things kill you. Besides, I think the fireflies serve two important functions. Firstly, it makes it very easy to differentiate which units have been equipped with them, while maintaining the Zerg's 'swarm-like' attribute without having to do too much to the model of the structure (meaning, it doesn't make building identification difficult). Secondly, I think they sort of serve as some kind of 'ammo' in that their numbers decrease with subsequent attacks, indicating how many more times they can attack (I could be wrong about this though).

pm.gif   

Old 03-15-2008

Spain BassChamber
BF Member
 BassChamber is an unknown quantity at this point

my bad, those fireflies are laughable!

zerg should defend themselves using some nasty, slimy, organic attack (like the good old sunken colony, that REALLY fitted with zerg race.)

too much WCIII influence in SC2, im afraid

pm.gif