Warcraft Legacy Starcraft Legacy BlizzForums
The Future?

Go Back   BlizzForums > Games > StarCraft Discussion

StarCraft Discussion StarCraft & Brood War lie herein.

Old 06-25-2007

United States AFXFTW
Kladfvgbung Micshk
 AFXFTW has become enlightenedAFXFTW has become enlightenedAFXFTW has become enlightenedAFXFTW has become enlightenedAFXFTW has become enlightenedAFXFTW has become enlightenedAFXFTW has become enlightenedAFXFTW has become enlightenedAFXFTW has become enlightenedAFXFTW has become enlightenedAFXFTW has become enlightened
Default Stalker Rush!!! WOOOO

maybe it's a bit early for strategy, but I just get goosebumps thinking about stalkers in early game. They seem to be an intermediate/less expensive step before the immortal, which seems to make going something like "2 gate stalker + blink to observers" a doable early game goal. Of course, besides detecting, the obs will be used to scout up cliffs, and your stallkers will be blinking whores. This build is all micro. finding the weakness in your enemy's base, avoiding the full brunt of their army, and if they go to attack you, finishing them off first! Can you imagine a PVP stalker battle 9-10 minutes into the game? It would be so freaking intense micro wise.

AFXFTW has 2,093 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 06-25-2007

United States AdroiT
BF Member
 AdroiT was born to leadAdroiT was born to leadAdroiT was born to leadAdroiT was born to leadAdroiT was born to leadAdroiT was born to leadAdroiT was born to lead
Default Re: Stalker Rush!!! WOOOO

As far as tech tree, I'm thinking Immortals will be slightly before the Stalkers. With the possibility of Immortals shield being an upgrade, a basic Immortal might be like a basic Dragoon. Like wise I would think that Stalkers would be available around the same time as Dark Templar. That being said I think you could tech to Stalker in early game and surprise someone with stalkers in the mineral field.

But as you said, it is a bit early for strategy.

pm.gif   

Old 06-25-2007

Canada Meteora
Sniper in the mist
 Meteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supreme

The typical StarCraft 2 game as stated by Blizzard would last roughly about 30 minutes, so I can expect Stalker rushes to happen regularly if I was playing the game. But I'm assuming because its about within the advance technology tree and the limited numbers of Stalkers it would be a gamble to attempt to stick with this technology. Although it has its benefits since "Blinking" would be awesome for the micro-intense pros and avoid most defensive structures or hinder the enemies economy or units.

Now that's got me thinking, I think I'm more into the Protoss now. This is way better than Dark Templar rush.

Meteora has 12,746 Posts

: : : : [StarCraft 2 Forums Veteran] : : : : [Call of Duty 4 Hardcore Player] : : : : [Proud To Be Canadian] : : : :

pm.gif  Send a message via MSN to Meteora  

Old 06-25-2007

Hong Kong masakari
BF Member
 masakari is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree the idea sounds cool, but teching to observers before going for the back door rush might be waiting a tad long... OR it might be a totally different tech tree.

I'm really not sure where stalkers should be in the tech tree. IMO, they kill infantry well enough but fail against tanks due to their frail nature. Immortals are almost exactly opposite Maybe they come together with Immortals after the cybernetics core and have the blink upgrade in the Citadel of Adun?

pm.gif   

Old 06-25-2007

United States ggfobster
BF Member
 ggfobster is obviously doing something rightggfobster is obviously doing something rightggfobster is obviously doing something rightggfobster is obviously doing something rightggfobster is obviously doing something rightggfobster is obviously doing something rightggfobster is obviously doing something rightggfobster is obviously doing something rightggfobster is obviously doing something rightggfobster is obviously doing something rightggfobster is obviously doing something right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkceangel View Post
The typical StarCraft 2 game as stated by Blizzard would last roughly about 30 minutes,
Not sure where you got this info, but everything Blizz has said about game length indicated that they are sticking with the 20 minute game. can't remember my sources, but I clearly remember this from an interview.

EDIT: I found it. The PC gamer interview indicated that they are planning on an average game length of 20 minutes. You can find it on page 26 of the magazine.

Last edited by ggfobster; 06-25-2007 at 03:11 AM.
ggfobster has 259 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 06-25-2007

United States AdroiT
BF Member
 AdroiT was born to leadAdroiT was born to leadAdroiT was born to leadAdroiT was born to leadAdroiT was born to leadAdroiT was born to leadAdroiT was born to lead

Is that mag out? I thought it suppose to be out Monday or Tuesday?

pm.gif   

Old 06-25-2007

United States CowmanX
BF Member
 CowmanX is an unknown quantity at this point

In the gameplay video, they have like a 5 second recharge for blink. Of course, at higher game speeds, that isn't much of an issue.

pm.gif   

Old 06-25-2007

United States Werothegreat
The Phoenix Lord
 Werothegreat has a brilliant futureWerothegreat has a brilliant futureWerothegreat has a brilliant futureWerothegreat has a brilliant futureWerothegreat has a brilliant futureWerothegreat has a brilliant futureWerothegreat has a brilliant futureWerothegreat has a brilliant futureWerothegreat has a brilliant futureWerothegreat has a brilliant futureWerothegreat has a brilliant future

You do realize that Blizzard is going to set up counters for this in Terran and Zerg? If Blizzard gives the protoss all these really neat toys, think of what they're gonna have to give the other two in order to balance.

Werothegreat has 732 Posts

Aah, fresh meat!
-The Butcher

"Do not go gentle into that good night.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

-Dylan Thomas

"
Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth...
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God."
-
John Gillespie Magee, Jr.

I actually liked the Soul Hunter, thank you very much.
Add this to your signature if you agree.

pm.gif   

Old 06-25-2007

Denmark TjanoDK
BF Member
 TjanoDK is an unknown quantity at this point

Do we know if stalkers can keep use "blink-effect" (with 5 second recharge) or do the blink-effect require energy?

THE SOUL HUNTER IS NOT A GOOD PROTOSS UNIT. IT NEEDS TO GO!

pm.gif   

Old 06-25-2007

United States The Shelf
BF Member
 The Shelf is dominating!The Shelf is dominating!The Shelf is dominating!The Shelf is dominating!The Shelf is dominating!The Shelf is dominating!The Shelf is dominating!The Shelf is dominating!The Shelf is dominating!The Shelf is dominating!The Shelf is dominating!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TjanoDK View Post
Do we know if stalkers can keep use "blink-effect" (with 5 second recharge) or do the blink-effect require energy?
My guess would be that they require energy and a recharge, but I don't know for certain.

pm.gif   

Old 06-25-2007

Canada DemolitionSquid
TestosterOWNAGE
 DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...

Blink has an 8 second cooldown, indicated by a filling indicator on the ability, just like any cooldown spells in WC3. I personally lothe the idea of cooldowns (for blink or pheonix's overload or anything else), and wish they'd just maintain energy as the source of spells or unit abilities, but it seems im SoL, and WC3 is invading my precious SC

DemolitionSquid has 7,740 Posts

pm.gif  Send a message via MSN to DemolitionSquid  

Old 06-25-2007

United States Werothegreat
The Phoenix Lord
 Werothegreat has a brilliant futureWerothegreat has a brilliant futureWerothegreat has a brilliant futureWerothegreat has a brilliant futureWerothegreat has a brilliant futureWerothegreat has a brilliant futureWerothegreat has a brilliant futureWerothegreat has a brilliant futureWerothegreat has a brilliant futureWerothegreat has a brilliant futureWerothegreat has a brilliant future

If they make cooldowns for psionic storm I will be unhappy.
So handy to just whip out three in row.

Werothegreat has 732 Posts

Aah, fresh meat!
-The Butcher

"Do not go gentle into that good night.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

-Dylan Thomas

"
Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth...
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God."
-
John Gillespie Magee, Jr.

I actually liked the Soul Hunter, thank you very much.

pm.gif   

Old 06-25-2007

United States The Shelf
BF Member
 The Shelf is dominating!The Shelf is dominating!The Shelf is dominating!The Shelf is dominating!The Shelf is dominating!The Shelf is dominating!The Shelf is dominating!The Shelf is dominating!The Shelf is dominating!The Shelf is dominating!The Shelf is dominating!

I don't like cooldowns either. The energy regeneration rate was good enough in SC1, and it can be good enough for SC2. Cooldowns remind me of MMOs, and I've had enough of those that I don't want to be reminded of them when I play an RTS.

pm.gif   

Old 06-25-2007

United States AFXFTW
Kladfvgbung Micshk
 AFXFTW has become enlightenedAFXFTW has become enlightenedAFXFTW has become enlightenedAFXFTW has become enlightenedAFXFTW has become enlightenedAFXFTW has become enlightenedAFXFTW has become enlightenedAFXFTW has become enlightenedAFXFTW has become enlightenedAFXFTW has become enlightenedAFXFTW has become enlightened

of course I realize there will be counters. . . that's what makes it fun.

AFXFTW has 2,093 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 06-25-2007

Sweden Celebrimor
BF Member
 Celebrimor was born to leadCelebrimor was born to leadCelebrimor was born to leadCelebrimor was born to leadCelebrimor was born to leadCelebrimor was born to leadCelebrimor was born to lead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werothegreat View Post
If they make cooldowns for psionic storm I will be unhappy.
So handy to just whip out three in row.
Wich is exactly the reason why a spell like this should have a small cooldown.

Id guess on about 10 seconds cooldown for it. cooldowns works great in addition to the energy system. For example to balance the psi storm blizzard could increase energy cost so you can cast 1 at a time, or they can keep the low energy cost and instead have a cooldown so thta you can cast 3 in 20 seconds and then you have to wait a few mins before you can redo that feat.

3 in 1 second just means that you can kill most of the units worth before it dies as long as you micro, and remember that caster micro will be easier with the new UI that makes spellcasts work like in wc3.(Not autocast, but instead smart cast were only 1 unit casts the spell per time you click it)

So if you wanna cast 3 storms in a row build 3 templars.

pm.gif