Warcraft Legacy Starcraft Legacy BlizzForums
The Future?

Go Back   BlizzForums > Games > Warcraft Discussion & Strategy

Warcraft Discussion & Strategy Research and Discuss to Win.

Old 07-12-2006

United States Kassad
Serenity Now
 Kassad has become enlightenedKassad has become enlightenedKassad has become enlightenedKassad has become enlightenedKassad has become enlightenedKassad has become enlightenedKassad has become enlightenedKassad has become enlightenedKassad has become enlightenedKassad has become enlightenedKassad has become enlightened
Default The "Help the Newbie" Thread

Welcome ladies and gentlemen to the "Help a Newb" Thread. Our newb tonight, me!

And what I mean by that is: I just bought Wow and set up an account. I'm up to the create a character thing, but I want some helpful advice from the pros here. What's the best Class? Favorite races? Any helpful hints?

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by Kassad; 07-12-2006 at 11:21 PM.
Kassad has 5,080 Posts

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to Kassad  

Old 07-12-2006

Canada rise
StarCraft: Legacy
 rise has become enlightenedrise has become enlightenedrise has become enlightenedrise has become enlightenedrise has become enlightenedrise has become enlightenedrise has become enlightenedrise has become enlightenedrise has become enlightenedrise has become enlightenedrise has become enlightened

A couple things...

Buff - balance +, a spell that gives you +stats
Nerf - balance -
Late game - lvl 60, soon to be 60-70.
Grind - time spent doing a repeated action. e.g. grinding lvls
Farming - grinding for a monetary purpose. e.g. farming materials

If you play a class with any healing abilities, expect to be pure healing in the late game, regardless.

Suggested starting classes: Hunter. Fairly easy to play, best lvling/farming. As a note, WoW is a constant buff-nerf cycle. Don't try to get the "best race and best class" or you'll end up being one of the thousands of whiney noobs crying on the WoW forums.

As a fact, expect to grind a lot. This isn't SC the RTS, it's a time investment. Even PvP (the "realm of skill") is catered to grinding currently.

rise has 1,926 Posts

Past, Present, Future

pm.gif  Send a message via MSN to rise  

Old 07-12-2006

United States Kassad
Serenity Now
 Kassad has become enlightenedKassad has become enlightenedKassad has become enlightenedKassad has become enlightenedKassad has become enlightenedKassad has become enlightenedKassad has become enlightenedKassad has become enlightenedKassad has become enlightenedKassad has become enlightenedKassad has become enlightened

The abilities and all around attributes that caught my eye were that of a Rogue. Good idea or not?

Kassad has 5,080 Posts

Old 07-13-2006

Canada Bred
Ich Bin Brot
 Bred did it for teh lulzBred did it for teh lulzBred did it for teh lulzBred did it for teh lulzBred did it for teh lulzBred did it for teh lulzBred did it for teh lulzBred did it for teh lulzBred did it for teh lulzBred did it for teh lulzBred did it for teh lulz

Rogues can be hard to play IMO >>

I'm a mage, and I'm currently LOVING the AoE Fest

Bred has 8,696 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 07-13-2006

United States TheRabidDeer
Voting independent
 TheRabidDeer is made of winTheRabidDeer is made of winTheRabidDeer is made of winTheRabidDeer is made of winTheRabidDeer is made of winTheRabidDeer is made of winTheRabidDeer is made of winTheRabidDeer is made of winTheRabidDeer is made of winTheRabidDeer is made of winTheRabidDeer is made of win

Rogues can have a rough life. Leveling up will be really easy and fast, but you will have a hard time finding a guild to do end-game raiding. On top of that, rogues can be kinda hard in group pvp as well (unless you do the lame gank the guy with no hp thats sitting 100 feet away from the crowd thing, then its just boring), especially considering you will never ever ever get a heal. Very good class when it comes to farming though. If you can find a druid or two and a couple rogues you can get insaaaane cash doing stealth instance runs.

Priests are a good all-around class. You are a strong healer and a strong pvper, you will always be needed in groups and gear isnt a HUGE factor in how well you perform in instances.

Warriors are good, but very gear dependent. You will have to decide on if you want to be a tank, or a damage dealer... as you can only be good at one of them. So pick what you want if you choose warrior.

Warlock is also a good strong class. It is probably one of the most difficult in the game as they have like 30 different spells (all of which have useful purpose) and you have to control your pet and know what pet to use. They are also not too common at 60, so you should be able to find a guild that needs you.

I will let the other people fill in the other classes... because those are the ones that I had experience with.

Take the power from the parties and vote independent in 2008.

pm.gif   

Old 07-13-2006

United States Nibel in A#
‹bermensch is my Catharsi
 Nibel in A# has become enlightenedNibel in A# has become enlightenedNibel in A# has become enlightenedNibel in A# has become enlightenedNibel in A# has become enlightenedNibel in A# has become enlightenedNibel in A# has become enlightenedNibel in A# has become enlightenedNibel in A# has become enlightenedNibel in A# has become enlightenedNibel in A# has become enlightened

Pssh, Im a hybrid warrior and lovin it, prolly ahve to re-spec later.

As someone who started only a few months ago, the question your going to be asking yourself for a while is, "Which professions should I get", because in this game you can have two professions out of 6 or 8, can't remember. Also, another big one your going to be askin is which skills you should be investing in, but all comes in time... and spamming the general discussion, or "LFG" as they call it now.

Nibel in A# has 2,399 Posts

I have sex on beaches lolz google me.

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to Nibel in A#  

Old 07-13-2006

Voting independent
 TheRabidDeer is made of winTheRabidDeer is made of winTheRabidDeer is made of winTheRabidDeer is made of winTheRabidDeer is made of winTheRabidDeer is made of winTheRabidDeer is made of winTheRabidDeer is made of winTheRabidDeer is made of winTheRabidDeer is made of winTheRabidDeer is made of win

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibster
Pssh, Im a hybrid warrior and lovin it, prolly ahve to re-spec later.

As someone who started only a few months ago, the question your going to be asking yourself for a while is, "Which professions should I get", because in this game you can have two professions out of 6 or 8, can't remember. Also, another big one your going to be askin is which skills you should be investing in, but all comes in time... and spamming the general discussion, or "LFG" as they call it now.
Well, all I know is a lot of endgame guilds force you to be either a tank or a damage dealer, so that they can get the gear to who needs it.

pm.gif   

Old 07-13-2006

Malaysia Saffron
a love affair with bacon
 Saffron has ascended to greatnessSaffron has ascended to greatnessSaffron has ascended to greatnessSaffron has ascended to greatnessSaffron has ascended to greatnessSaffron has ascended to greatnessSaffron has ascended to greatnessSaffron has ascended to greatnessSaffron has ascended to greatnessSaffron has ascended to greatnessSaffron has ascended to greatness

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRabidDeer
Warriors are good, but very gear dependent. You will have to decide on if you want to be a tank, or a damage dealer... as you can only be good at one of them. So pick what you want if you choose warrior
Actually you can be both. I'm the MT, but when they're training new tanks I go DPS, and am usually 2nd or 3rd highest on the DPS charts without pulling aggro.

My herbie makes the most money, she had 800g at lvl 55, and I only gave her 10g seed money. If only I knew all this when I started zzz.

Saffron has 663 Posts

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to Saffron Send a message via MSN to Saffron  

Old 07-13-2006

Voting independent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saffron
Actually you can be both. I'm the MT, but when they're training new tanks I go DPS, and am usually 2nd or 3rd highest on the DPS charts without pulling aggro.

My herbie makes the most money, she had 800g at lvl 55, and I only gave her 10g seed money. If only I knew all this when I started zzz.
Your guild is bad... or you have good DPS gear to go with your tank gear.

If you are dpsing 2 or 3 on charts and you are the MT then I doubt you have been past broodlord in BWL.

Also, the whole "not pulling aggro" thing doesnt make sense either, since your rogues should be coming close to pulling aggro even when using feint a lot. And in the really long fights hunters should be pretty high up too.

EDIT: And I posted a good way to get gold for nothing somewhere around here too, if you are interested in the heavy time investment.

pm.gif   

Old 07-13-2006

Netherlands LXM
Artist
 LXM might just love this place a little bit too muchLXM might just love this place a little bit too muchLXM might just love this place a little bit too muchLXM might just love this place a little bit too muchLXM might just love this place a little bit too muchLXM might just love this place a little bit too muchLXM might just love this place a little bit too muchLXM might just love this place a little bit too muchLXM might just love this place a little bit too muchLXM might just love this place a little bit too muchLXM might just love this place a little bit too much

No offense but if you're prot specced and get 2nd or 3rd or even 10th place on DPS you're actual DPS classes are kinda sucky.

LXM has 10,242 Posts

pm.gif  Send a message via MSN to LXM  

Old 07-13-2006

Voting independent

Quote:
Originally Posted by LXM
No offense but if you're prot specced and get 2nd or 3rd or even 10th place on DPS you're actual DPS classes are kinda sucky.
The reason I kinda believed him is because I knew a lot of tank warriors that have a deep fury tree with a little in protection and a little in arms (usually TM in arms) or fury major/prot minor

pm.gif   

Old 07-13-2006

Canada KP
Words Will Never Hurt You
 KP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too much

One of our tanks (not our mt mind you but all the warriors in my guild are tought to tank most bosses) with tf can out dps most of the raid if you give him the chance. Granted he can't touch the mages with a ten foot pole when we are on our game and get lucky with the resists and if a rogue is trying to step it up he can't take them on but he's consistently in top 10 if he's full out dps.

Granted I fucking rape him in dps in AQ40 and Naxx however .

KP has 9,752 Posts

How To Get Around the Red Ring of Death Without Losing Your Xbox for two weeks
http://www.1227.com/

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to KP Send a message via MSN to KP  

Old 07-13-2006

Malaysia Saffron
a love affair with bacon
 Saffron has ascended to greatnessSaffron has ascended to greatnessSaffron has ascended to greatnessSaffron has ascended to greatnessSaffron has ascended to greatnessSaffron has ascended to greatnessSaffron has ascended to greatnessSaffron has ascended to greatnessSaffron has ascended to greatnessSaffron has ascended to greatnessSaffron has ascended to greatness

Oops, I meant to say 2-3rd highest *warrior on the DPS charts, on the actual list itself I'm usually hovering from 7-10, depending on which boss we're at.

We're in AQ40, Fankriss, and I'm 31/5/15, and i'm NOT speccing any more into prot until vitality goes live and I get more hp wooo~!

I'm not sure how things run in your guild, but in mine we seriously frown on hunters/rogues/warriors pulling aggro at all. hunters/rogues obviously since you can lower your own threat, and warriors cos you should know better. Our healers are delicate, they don't like stress hehe.

Saffron has 663 Posts

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to Saffron Send a message via MSN to Saffron  

Old 07-13-2006

United States Kassad
Serenity Now

According to a friend of mine, Mages and Hunters are the best all-around. Is he right?

Kassad has 5,080 Posts

Old 07-13-2006

Canada KP
Words Will Never Hurt You
 KP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too muchKP might just love this place a little bit too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kassad
According to a friend of mine, Mages and Hunters are the best all-around. Is he right?
No, mages aren't a great all around class. They do great dps and they are good in pvp...and they do ok grinding. But they aren't the best all around? Hmmm. The main problem with a mage for grinding, and therefore not making it an 'all-around' class, is downtime. The time you spend regenning health and mana, is like the second highest in the game (second to warriors iirc)

I like hunters as far as all around class goes, lots of dps, great in pvp and you can grind like there is no tomorrow with zero downtime if you do it right. Hunters are therefore the best all around class in my mind. They are needed in most instances (well 10 man +) and they can level almost as fast or faster than any lock can.

KP has 9,752 Posts

How To Get Around the Red Ring of Death Without Losing Your Xbox for two weeks
http://www.1227.com/

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to KP Send a message via MSN to KP