Warcraft Legacy Starcraft Legacy BlizzForums
The Future?

Go Back   BlizzForums > Games > StarCraft Discussion

StarCraft Discussion StarCraft & Brood War lie herein.

View Poll Results: do u like thor model
Thor Needs to have a model change 9 30.00%
Thor Model is fine 21 70.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-13-2008

United States Zergums
Eating a Raw Dripping Ham
 Zergums simply pwnsZergums simply pwnsZergums simply pwnsZergums simply pwnsZergums simply pwnsZergums simply pwnsZergums simply pwnsZergums simply pwnsZergums simply pwnsZergums simply pwnsZergums simply pwns
Default [Suggestion] Thor Unit Model Change

The Thor definately needs a model change. It's original model sucked and for it's new role it's even weirder. I know Blizzard did a lot with it's animation that is pretty cool , but just out of curiosity who here likes the current model and wants it changed. The thor isn't bad in concept, it's model just ruins any chance of taking it seriously though

my suggestion: maybe something like those human walkers from the matrix that was cool. I like to see the biological unit

it was cool in the sc1 cinematic when you saw the guy firing that arty from that machine

Zergums has 1,504 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 03-13-2008

United States AFXFTW
Kladfvgbung Micshk
 AFXFTW has become enlightenedAFXFTW has become enlightenedAFXFTW has become enlightenedAFXFTW has become enlightenedAFXFTW has become enlightenedAFXFTW has become enlightenedAFXFTW has become enlightenedAFXFTW has become enlightenedAFXFTW has become enlightenedAFXFTW has become enlightenedAFXFTW has become enlightened

I want to see the picture before I say anything. But I always liked the original Thor. I just think they've nerrfed it too heaviily and haven't given it anything back in return.

AFXFTW has 2,093 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 03-13-2008

United States Marneus Calgar
Nuclear Launch Detected
 Marneus Calgar is dominating!Marneus Calgar is dominating!Marneus Calgar is dominating!Marneus Calgar is dominating!Marneus Calgar is dominating!Marneus Calgar is dominating!Marneus Calgar is dominating!Marneus Calgar is dominating!Marneus Calgar is dominating!Marneus Calgar is dominating!Marneus Calgar is dominating!

I actually like the Thor's model. :P

Marneus Calgar has 1,155 Posts

"Live forever, apes."
~Lieutenant Razack, Razack's Roughnecks

Hydragoon on Reapers and Stimpacks:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydragoon View Post
If I were a guy with a jump pack going into a heavily defended base with two pistols, I'd want to be high on something first...

pm.gif   

Old 03-13-2008

United States caliban113
Unsocial Climber
 caliban113 has become enlightenedcaliban113 has become enlightenedcaliban113 has become enlightenedcaliban113 has become enlightenedcaliban113 has become enlightenedcaliban113 has become enlightenedcaliban113 has become enlightenedcaliban113 has become enlightenedcaliban113 has become enlightenedcaliban113 has become enlightenedcaliban113 has become enlightened

Like the model as-is, but then again, really not seeing a lot of difference from the initial design. Can anyone suggest some sources that would best illustrate changes to the Thor model?

caliban113 has 439 Posts

Please - wont you give to the 'Missile Turret Guy' Foundation?
Let's make 'Spinning Missile Turret Guy (SMTG) Syndrome' a thing of the past!!
So....Many...........Mutas....

Undt noww, here's a Zerg attack from the 50's:

pm.gif   

Old 03-13-2008

United States Triceron
BF Member
 Triceron has ascended to greatnessTriceron has ascended to greatnessTriceron has ascended to greatnessTriceron has ascended to greatnessTriceron has ascended to greatnessTriceron has ascended to greatnessTriceron has ascended to greatnessTriceron has ascended to greatnessTriceron has ascended to greatnessTriceron has ascended to greatnessTriceron has ascended to greatness

I like the Thor. I just don't think such a big and beefed up unit is right as a 'goliath replacement' though. Late game unit so grand it can't be made in a factory that's meant as AA? ehh.....

Triceron has 871 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 03-13-2008

United States ksm
You think as I do
 ksm simply pwnsksm simply pwnsksm simply pwnsksm simply pwnsksm simply pwnsksm simply pwnsksm simply pwnsksm simply pwnsksm simply pwnsksm simply pwnsksm simply pwns

What changes are you talking about? Its only a bit smaller now, thats the change.

And for its new role as powerful GtA unit, i think the Thor's model fits well. It has those weapons that could be named Flak Cannons.

Imagine those things firing up to the sky... a lot of AoE.

BUT, i would love to see a minor change like caterpillar tracks insted of legs. To differentiate from the others [insert name for a 2-legs robot].

What do you think? We only have the Tank with this kind of propulsion.

ksm has 408 Posts

Cut the Tempest model. Make a new one that resembles our beloved Carrier!
Zealot's Psi-Blades, Pylons and Archons must be BLUEISH-WHITE!
Don't use team color there please.

pm.gif   

Old 03-13-2008

United States iAm
BF Member
 iAm is unstoppable!iAm is unstoppable!iAm is unstoppable!iAm is unstoppable!iAm is unstoppable!iAm is unstoppable!iAm is unstoppable!iAm is unstoppable!iAm is unstoppable!iAm is unstoppable!iAm is unstoppable!

I just think its to wide. Everytime I see it i just think of the mentality "Add more guns and the cooler the unit looks!!!111!"

iAm has 520 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 03-13-2008

United States ArchDreadReaper
Destroyer of Worlds
 ArchDreadReaper has become enlightenedArchDreadReaper has become enlightenedArchDreadReaper has become enlightenedArchDreadReaper has become enlightenedArchDreadReaper has become enlightenedArchDreadReaper has become enlightenedArchDreadReaper has become enlightenedArchDreadReaper has become enlightenedArchDreadReaper has become enlightenedArchDreadReaper has become enlightenedArchDreadReaper has become enlightened

Does anyone actually know what the hell it even does now? I haven't the foggiest idea. However, I didn't necessarily see what was wrong with it before, in terms of model or role. I like the Thor, and hope it gets some of its own back.

-Dread_Reaper

ArchDreadReaper has 695 Posts

Axe the Overseer, turn the Infester into the Defiler, and find a place for the Roach.

Add this to your signature if you agree.

New Nullifier?
http://blizzforums.com/showthread.ph...676#post364676

pm.gif   

Old 03-13-2008

United States KingKaramazov
BF Member
 KingKaramazov was born to leadKingKaramazov was born to leadKingKaramazov was born to leadKingKaramazov was born to leadKingKaramazov was born to leadKingKaramazov was born to leadKingKaramazov was born to lead

With all the weaponry it kind of reminds me of a swiss army knife with all of the extensions out at once -- pretty cluttered and silly looking. Nonetheless, besides some tweaking that might be done to it, I like the basic model, and the model does fit with its new role, even if that role isn't necessarily the best implementation of the Thor.

KingKaramazov has 270 Posts

Take heed and bear witness to the truths that lie herein, for they are the last legacy of the Horadrim....

pm.gif   

Old 03-13-2008

United States Nicol Bolas
BF Member
 Nicol Bolas has been here far, far too longNicol Bolas has been here far, far too longNicol Bolas has been here far, far too longNicol Bolas has been here far, far too longNicol Bolas has been here far, far too longNicol Bolas has been here far, far too longNicol Bolas has been here far, far too longNicol Bolas has been here far, far too longNicol Bolas has been here far, far too longNicol Bolas has been here far, far too longNicol Bolas has been here far, far too long

I recall Browder pointing out in an interview somewhere that the art affects the player's expectations of a unit. Something that looks like the Thor needs to be able to blow the hell out of stuff. So if one or two Thors is enough to handle grouped air units, then it's look is fine. If you need a half-dozen or more to take care of grouped air units, then it needs a makeover into something smaller.

"I still haven't heard a reason why clicks spent overcoming interface limitations to build troops are somehow more indicative of skill than clicks spent maneuvering units and using abilities." - SpiderBrigade

pm.gif   

Old 03-13-2008

United States vIsitor
BF Member
 vIsitor has become enlightenedvIsitor has become enlightenedvIsitor has become enlightenedvIsitor has become enlightenedvIsitor has become enlightenedvIsitor has become enlightenedvIsitor has become enlightenedvIsitor has become enlightenedvIsitor has become enlightenedvIsitor has become enlightenedvIsitor has become enlightened

Why? The Thor looks better than ever, in my opinion. (although its GtG attack does look pretty weak for the Thor's size, I'll admit).

There is no penguin level!

pm.gif   

Old 03-13-2008

Australia Maximus
BF Member
 Maximus is on a distinguished road

I think the Thor should be made into an anti heavy unit. Able to tackle the powerful expensive things in the game such as Archons, Motherships, Ultralisks, battlecruisers, other Thors, etc.

Its weakness would be, of course, its speed (in both movement and attack) and its vulnerability to numbers.

I like the size of it now (as big as the new ultralisk)

pm.gif   

Old 03-13-2008

Canada pureWasted
Temporary Generic Title
 pureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to all

The Thor right now looks the best it's ever looked. I'd even go as far as to say it's one of the best looking units in the game at this point. All thanks to the "gritification" process, which seems to have smacked it with the beautiful stick upside the face.

I see absolutely no reason to change the model.

pureWasted has 2,438 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 03-13-2008

Russian Federation NeoSoviet
BF Member
 NeoSoviet has been here far, far too longNeoSoviet has been here far, far too longNeoSoviet has been here far, far too longNeoSoviet has been here far, far too longNeoSoviet has been here far, far too longNeoSoviet has been here far, far too longNeoSoviet has been here far, far too longNeoSoviet has been here far, far too longNeoSoviet has been here far, far too longNeoSoviet has been here far, far too longNeoSoviet has been here far, far too long

The Thor looks splendid.

NeoSoviet has 839 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 03-13-2008

United States Zergums
Eating a Raw Dripping Ham
 Zergums simply pwnsZergums simply pwnsZergums simply pwnsZergums simply pwnsZergums simply pwnsZergums simply pwnsZergums simply pwnsZergums simply pwnsZergums simply pwnsZergums simply pwnsZergums simply pwns

it shoots shells at air units -_-

it just doesn't seem up to par with what the rest of the terrans have , doesn't; fit

Zergums has 1,504 Posts

pm.gif