Warcraft Legacy Starcraft Legacy BlizzForums
The Future?

Go Back   BlizzForums > Games > StarCraft Discussion

StarCraft Discussion StarCraft & Brood War lie herein.

Closed Thread

Old 02-05-2009

United States l33telboi
BF Member
 l33telboi has a reputation beyond reputel33telboi has a reputation beyond reputel33telboi has a reputation beyond reputel33telboi has a reputation beyond reputel33telboi has a reputation beyond reputel33telboi has a reputation beyond reputel33telboi has a reputation beyond reputel33telboi has a reputation beyond reputel33telboi has a reputation beyond reputel33telboi has a reputation beyond reputel33telboi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dawn of War 2 Not the Holy Grail REVIEW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caine View Post
Enosh, but that probably doens't mean a lot since I just mostly read and post here and there something, oh and having fun reading the constant back and forth of leo and mith :P
Enosh, Enosh, Enosh... Well, I have seen the name before, but I can't quite put a face to the name, so to speak. There seems to be surprisingly many spacebattlers here, Imperial Glory, you, SAMAS, white_rabbit, etc.

l33telboi has 30 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 02-05-2009

United States Mike
Two Letters, No Regrets
 Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...

*BEEP*

Detecting butthurt fanboys in the vicinity!

DoW2 is an excellent game, and definitely has the multiplayer enjoyment to match Starcraft.

Honestly, most of us who played SC back in the day have moved on. I personally want to see where the story goes, but other than that, meh.

Mike has 937 Posts

Progress, man's distinctive mark alone,
not God's, and not the beast's,
God is, they are,
Man partly is and wholly hopes to be.

pm.gif   

Old 02-05-2009

Vatican City State Kacaier
Reaching for the Swarm
 Kacaier has become enlightenedKacaier has become enlightenedKacaier has become enlightenedKacaier has become enlightenedKacaier has become enlightenedKacaier has become enlightenedKacaier has become enlightenedKacaier has become enlightenedKacaier has become enlightenedKacaier has become enlightenedKacaier has become enlightened

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Honestly, most of us who played SC back in the day have moved on. I personally want to see where the story goes, but other than that, meh.
That in itself is quite a wide assumption. I believe your stance, though a valid and existent one, is one contrary to what I presume the majority of us hold. I, on a personal and candid opinion, look forward to both the gameplay AND the storyline aspects of StarCraft II. New and innovation is a plus, but that doesn't mean it will shame the traditional automatically.

I agree there are some baseless assumptions on DoWII, but there are also valid qualms against the game. You can't win them all, and it's not always fanboydomism.

Kacaier has 615 Posts

۞۞۞۞۞۞۞۞۞۞۞۞۞
۞۞۞۞۞۞۞۞۞۞۞۞۞۝

pm.gif   

Old 02-05-2009

Ajman planetx
BF Member
 planetx has much to be proud ofplanetx has much to be proud ofplanetx has much to be proud ofplanetx has much to be proud ofplanetx has much to be proud ofplanetx has much to be proud ofplanetx has much to be proud ofplanetx has much to be proud ofplanetx has much to be proud ofplanetx has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemolitionSquid View Post
Finally, something in-depth.

Disagree. Its only slightly more zoomed out than SC.

I can see everything clearly, and I wear glasses.

I don't have this problem.

It seems a lot of your complaints on the view, but I have none of these issues. Maybe you need your eyes checked. I can distinguish everything clearly.

Most of the games I've played have lasted 20 minutes, same as a regular SC2 game. And you don't have to tech to tier 2 fast all the time, sometimes it's better to grab points early on with rippers or shuriken cannons.

I'll agree with you here.

100 req to help boost my energy to grab a Carnifex is worth it.

I haven't had any real balance issues.

Disagree. I have no trouble microing my units.

Every unit has a HP bar over its head. Considering the game is based on hard counters, and you get a tip telling you what unit is good against what before you build it, you can quite easily know if your units are doing ok.

Range is increased though upgrades on some units, as it is in SC.

As I said, most games are only 20 minutes anyway.

I've had no balance issues. Theres just a lot of variety.

Graphics are gorgeous.

I have fun with both, they both require completely different strategies.

When you can actually see them, right?

Are we even playing the same game? Lacks macro, but has plenty of strategy and micro.

I highly disagree. It won't be as popular as SC2, but it's very competitive and unique.
I'm mostly putting the negative things there.
I'd agree on one thing, its like we are playing 2 different games.
You said you've just downloaded it, so I'm assuming you haven't played enough games to see that if not all, most of my comments are true, especially about the visibility issues and I know I'm not the only one with such problems, many people have complained about the visibility issues!

Other than that micro and just moving units is not same, I'm talking about micro, like when doing a dragoon dance in SC, or mutalisk control or speedlots vs hydralisks or zerglings surround kind of micro.

About the balance, you clearly lack the minutes playing to have really spotted imbalance, so I'm just going to take this as rushed comment by you.

Whats your username btw? I play with Tokkioo

pm.gif   

Old 02-05-2009

Canada DemolitionSquid
TestosterOWNAGE
 DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetx View Post
You said you've just downloaded it, so I'm assuming you haven't played enough games to see that if not all, most of my comments are true, especially about the visibility issues and I know I'm not the only one with such problems, many people have complained about the visibility issues!

Other than that micro and just moving units is not same, I'm talking about micro, like when doing a dragoon dance in SC, or mutalisk control or speedlots vs hydralisks or zerglings surround kind of micro.

About the balance, you clearly lack the minutes playing to have really spotted imbalance, so I'm just going to take this as rushed comment by you.

Cephalopods. I've played about 30 games, but for some reason it's not recording my score. That's my only gripe.

DemolitionSquid has 7,740 Posts

pm.gif  Send a message via MSN to DemolitionSquid  

Old 02-06-2009

Australia chief rocka
BF Member
 chief rocka has ascended to greatnesschief rocka has ascended to greatnesschief rocka has ascended to greatnesschief rocka has ascended to greatnesschief rocka has ascended to greatnesschief rocka has ascended to greatnesschief rocka has ascended to greatnesschief rocka has ascended to greatnesschief rocka has ascended to greatnesschief rocka has ascended to greatnesschief rocka has ascended to greatness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caine View Post
given the scope of it, that's quite a big generalization
i stand by it. the warhammer universe is lame in concept.

chief rocka has 170 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 02-06-2009

Malaysia cheeseman
BF Member
 cheeseman has a spectacular aura aboutcheeseman has a spectacular aura aboutcheeseman has a spectacular aura about

Quote:

I do agree that it's 2 different games but the problem is,DoW2 is just too shallow.

There isnt much things to do with it.Too little units.Tiering is too easy and too fast.

Still,the new patch has come out and it fixed some of the fundamental problems.Looks good to me so far.

Tried a game just not,feels much better now.

cheeseman has 204 Posts

TEAMCOURABLE KHADARIN CRYSTALS AND PSI BLADES SHOULD BE REMOVED TOO! THEY SHOULD BE BLUE,JUST LIKE THOSE IN STARCRAFT 1.

Add this to your signature if you agree.

pm.gif  Send a message via MSN to cheeseman  

Old 02-06-2009

United States Triceron
BF Member
 Triceron has ascended to greatnessTriceron has ascended to greatnessTriceron has ascended to greatnessTriceron has ascended to greatnessTriceron has ascended to greatnessTriceron has ascended to greatnessTriceron has ascended to greatnessTriceron has ascended to greatnessTriceron has ascended to greatnessTriceron has ascended to greatnessTriceron has ascended to greatness

I wonder if the co-op will be any good.

Triceron has 871 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 02-06-2009

Malaysia cheeseman
BF Member
 cheeseman has a spectacular aura aboutcheeseman has a spectacular aura aboutcheeseman has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
I wonder if the co-op will be any good.
It's badly made,IMO.

You share your host's army.Say like your host have 5 squads of Space Marines.When you join his game,he'll give you 2 to control while he use the other 3.

cheeseman has 204 Posts

TEAMCOURABLE KHADARIN CRYSTALS AND PSI BLADES SHOULD BE REMOVED TOO! THEY SHOULD BE BLUE,JUST LIKE THOSE IN STARCRAFT 1.

Add this to your signature if you agree.

pm.gif  Send a message via MSN to cheeseman  

Old 02-07-2009

Canada Meteora
Sniper in the mist
 Meteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeseman View Post
It's badly made,IMO.

You share your host's army.Say like your host have 5 squads of Space Marines.When you join his game,he'll give you 2 to control while he use the other 3.
Could say the same thing with StarCraft co-op on the N64. Lets you select and command all the units. Consequently that leads to a lot of confusion and conflict while commanding those units.

Meteora has 12,746 Posts

: : : : [StarCraft 2 Forums Veteran] : : : : [Call of Duty 4 Hardcore Player] : : : : [Proud To Be Canadian] : : : :

pm.gif  Send a message via MSN to Meteora  

Old 02-07-2009

United States Zergums
Eating a Raw Dripping Ham
 Zergums simply pwnsZergums simply pwnsZergums simply pwnsZergums simply pwnsZergums simply pwnsZergums simply pwnsZergums simply pwnsZergums simply pwnsZergums simply pwnsZergums simply pwnsZergums simply pwns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteora View Post
Could say the same thing with StarCraft co-op on the N64. Lets you select and command all the units. Consequently that leads to a lot of confusion and conflict while commanding those units.
everybody knows starcraft N64 sucked hard, I don't see the point of you bringing up a port

demosquid play a few games first, they're all the same.

graphics are great but not as good as when I first saw it on that trailer a year ago (faked)

Zergums has 1,504 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 02-08-2009

Canada DemolitionSquid
TestosterOWNAGE
 DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zergums View Post
I have played 50+ games, and you have no idea what you're talking about. Every game I've played has been different, because everyone has their own playstyle, experience, and counters.

DemolitionSquid has 7,740 Posts

pm.gif  Send a message via MSN to DemolitionSquid  

Old 02-08-2009

Canada Meteora
Sniper in the mist
 Meteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zergums View Post
everybody knows starcraft N64 sucked hard, I don't see the point of you bringing up a port

graphics are great but not as good as when I first saw it on that trailer a year ago (faked)
Because it's identical to SC except for a few differences here and there. The port is what brought me to the game in the first place.

And some games do actually dumb down the graphics to compensate for lower end computers (I heard that they did the same with World of WarCraft; they might even dumb down SC2's graphics). Or you thought that CGI (if they used any in the trailers) was actual in game graphics, which isn't.

So does anyone here even play anything else aside from SC?

Meteora has 12,746 Posts

: : : : [StarCraft 2 Forums Veteran] : : : : [Call of Duty 4 Hardcore Player] : : : : [Proud To Be Canadian] : : : :

Old 02-08-2009

United States givemeafingname
BF Member
 givemeafingname has a brilliant futuregivemeafingname has a brilliant futuregivemeafingname has a brilliant futuregivemeafingname has a brilliant futuregivemeafingname has a brilliant futuregivemeafingname has a brilliant futuregivemeafingname has a brilliant futuregivemeafingname has a brilliant futuregivemeafingname has a brilliant futuregivemeafingname has a brilliant futuregivemeafingname has a brilliant future

The game lacks depth. Removal of base building mostly eliminates build orders. You chose your hero then either build a range unit, heavy weapon, range unit, heavy weapon, tech.

The teching is reduced to an idiotic level. There are no building requirements (except for generators), and all that is done to get to t2 or t3 is a press of a button.

Micro is there but it's not enough to keep a serious RTS gamer hooked.

Personally I don't consider it DoW2 because it has little resemblance to its predecessor. It's just another 40k RTS.

pm.gif   

Old 02-08-2009

Canada Meteora
Sniper in the mist

Quote:
Originally Posted by givemeafingname View Post
The game lacks depth. Removal of base building mostly eliminates build orders. You chose your hero then either build a range unit, heavy weapon, range unit, heavy weapon, tech.

The teching is reduced to an idiotic level. There are no building requirements (except for generators), and all that is done to get to t2 or t3 is a press of a button.

Micro is there but it's not enough to keep a serious RTS gamer hooked.

Personally I don't consider it DoW2 because it has little resemblance to its predecessor. It's just another 40k RTS.
If your a familiar or regular player of StarCraft you -will- not like the game for having a lack of macro, or will feel it is awkward and or incomplete. The game focuses more on a tactical approach.

Thanks for the biased reviews fanboys, keep it up.

Meteora has 12,746 Posts

Closed Thread