Warcraft Legacy Starcraft Legacy BlizzForums
The Future?

Go Back   BlizzForums > Games > StarCraft Discussion

StarCraft Discussion StarCraft & Brood War lie herein.

Closed Thread

Old 06-25-2007

United States kameo
Dont you Dare read this!
 kameo has a brilliant futurekameo has a brilliant futurekameo has a brilliant futurekameo has a brilliant futurekameo has a brilliant futurekameo has a brilliant futurekameo has a brilliant futurekameo has a brilliant futurekameo has a brilliant futurekameo has a brilliant futurekameo has a brilliant future
Default Re: Soul Hunter: Why cant SC have souls?

Hey if you dont belive in souls. Can i have yours?

But as far as the Psionic energy being the protoss's soul. How do you explain the terran use of it?

kameo has 832 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 06-25-2007

United States .Jackal
Fuerza De Liberacion
 .Jackal is a name known to all.Jackal is a name known to all.Jackal is a name known to all.Jackal is a name known to all.Jackal is a name known to all.Jackal is a name known to all.Jackal is a name known to all.Jackal is a name known to all.Jackal is a name known to all.Jackal is a name known to all.Jackal is a name known to all

Starcraft is more science than anything that's why.

.Jackal has 3,315 Posts

Ive always wanted
To eat glass with you again

pm.gif   

Old 06-26-2007

Australia AutumnMemories
BF Member
 AutumnMemories is on a distinguished road

Chyeeaaah.
I for one LOVE starcraft, i started playing it when i was like.. 9. Im 14 now, and thrilled about Starcraft 2 being released soon. The 'soul hunter' i believe will be a fine addition to the Protoss, though i do believe the name is not the most ideal name for a unit which is supposed to be a highly evolved alien. The concept is great, and i like the way it gets stronger with more kills under it's belt, but i do disagree with the name.

In conclusion i say
KEEP THE SOUL HUNTER.

pm.gif   

Old 06-26-2007

Armenia Vae Victis
Terran Supremacy
 Vae Victis is a model citizenVae Victis is a model citizenVae Victis is a model citizenVae Victis is a model citizenVae Victis is a model citizenVae Victis is a model citizen

They might not indeed collect or hunt actual souls, but I think they get this name because it's a way to scare opponents or give them a mystical or ominous reputation.

Vae Victis has 22 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 06-26-2007

United States GoodGame
BF Member
 GoodGame doesn't suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celebrimor View Post
Thats like saying "Humans are a religious things, and I'd appreciate it if they kept religion out of a sci-fi RTS game."

Lets look up the definition of soul:
"the immaterial part of a person; the actuating cause of an individual life"
I just think it's a stupid idea as a whole. The whole "suck souls and get stronger" thing just isn't something that fits into SC, it is much more suited for WC.

GoodGame has 159 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 06-26-2007

United States MtotheRB
BF Member
 MtotheRB has a spectacular aura aboutMtotheRB has a spectacular aura aboutMtotheRB has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by doninciong View Post
If there was souls in SC, then there would be a Protoss Heaven and Hell and a Zerg Heaven and Hell... Oh, and the Terrans would be Chrislims! Woohoo! Then they would all fight against each other because of their different beliefs.
Yup, SC2 would be about a holy space crusade. All of them fighting to save their souls... and these "Soul Hunters" would be eeeeviiil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalyd View Post
Nalyd would guess that that is spam.
NOoouuhhh... MtotheRB would have to disagree on that Nalyd.
That is actually a great argument (disguised in irony and sarcasm) of why the soul-concept doesn't belong i SC.
Souls are usually considered to be immortal and to exist before their incarnation in flesh and after their departure from it.The concept of the soul has strong links with notions of an afterlife and/or religion.
Afterlife and/or before-life is in almost every aspect of our culture(s) (which SC is sculpted from) considered to be determined by our way of living through the incarnation. In most cases this is defined by some sort of deity or code of living again for the most part tied to some sort of religion.

Have we seen any indication of the characters in SC referring to those kinds of aspects so far?

A religion is a set of beliefs and practices generally held by a community, involving adherence to codified beliefs and rituals and study of ancestral or cultural traditions, writings, history, and mythology, as well as personal faith and mystic experience. In most religions there is also defined some sort of tale and/or prophecy of genesis and apocalypse.

Do the races believe in a theoretical or theological creation of the universe and do they have eschatology concerning an apocalypse?

Psi is a term for parapsykological phenomena derived from the greek, psi, twenty-third letter of the Greek alphabet; from the Greek psyche. Psi can be used either as a noun or adjective to identify paranormal processes and paranormal causation; the two main categories of psi are psi-gamma (paranormal cognition; extrasensory perception and psi-kappa (paranormal action; psychokinesis). In SC i guess Psi refers to both gamma and kappa.

If the psi energy was tied to some sort of immaterial soul wouldn't the Dominion scientists have discovered that the paranormal developments was tied to the soul and not to mutations of the brain like Blizz wrote for SC1?
(That ghost got allot of soul power!)

Cultural studies suggests that religious and spiritual beliefs are rare in a high-technological society. What the dear doninciong was implying was that the notions of souls and religions fit better in to the typical fantasy setting because those kind of beliefs fit better into and medieval society.

MtotheRB has 37 Posts

You speak of knowledge judicator.
You speak of experience.
I have journeyed through the darkness between the most distant stars.
I have beheld the birth of negative suns and born witness to the entropy of entire realities.
- Zeratul

pm.gif   

Old 06-26-2007

Sweden Celebrimor
BF Member
 Celebrimor was born to leadCelebrimor was born to leadCelebrimor was born to leadCelebrimor was born to leadCelebrimor was born to leadCelebrimor was born to leadCelebrimor was born to lead

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtotheRB View Post
Things
The thing is though that just beacuse the soulhunter is named soulhunter it doesnt have to hunt souls. Its like real life magicians doesnt really do magic, they just trick you, these dont hunt souls, but they absorb energy from peoples corpses that we dont know yet exactly what it is since Blizzard hasnt said anything at all.

All we got was a guy from PC gamers own point of view on the unit, a second hand description doesnt count as a real proof since he couldve easily just assumed that it absorbs souls due to the name.

Quote:
A religion is a set of beliefs and practices generally held by a community, involving adherence to codified beliefs and rituals and study of ancestral or cultural traditions, writings, history, and mythology, as well as personal faith and mystic experience.
Take the protoss, they certainly have strong adherence to their beliefs of honor, strong ties to cultural traditions, history, mythology, as well as personal faith and mystic experience.

What part do the protoss not live up to, its not as if they dont got wizards or a caste system or strong traditions they dont want to change etc. Theyre hardly a modern society, and is very close to hinduism except that they dont belive in renicarnation or peace. Induviduals have very little rights at the protoss, instead you are who you were born to be, with a few exceptions that either gets bannished for being an outlaw or gets praised as gods due to them doing very great deeds for the protoss.

Quote:
Have we seen any indication of the characters in SC referring to those kinds of aspects so far?
Those things are however not mandatory for beliefs about souls, you can very well belive that the soul dies/vanishes when the body dies, and that theyre created when the body is created.

Last edited by Celebrimor; 06-26-2007 at 07:44 AM.

pm.gif   

Old 06-26-2007

No country specified. To select a country, go to User CP -> Edit Profile -> Country Gorvprince
Prince of Misery
 Gorvprince is unstoppable!Gorvprince is unstoppable!Gorvprince is unstoppable!Gorvprince is unstoppable!Gorvprince is unstoppable!Gorvprince is unstoppable!Gorvprince is unstoppable!Gorvprince is unstoppable!Gorvprince is unstoppable!Gorvprince is unstoppable!Gorvprince is unstoppable!

wow.... you guys are deep.

Soul Hunter doesn't suck souls (IMO), I bet Blizzard knew that, and it's not misnomer either. Think if this way; the Soul Hunter is like draining away the life force/energy of a living thing or draining the psi/energy that empowers the said mechanism/structure and destroys them at the same time.

The way they were named Soul Hunter is because they look like they are sucking away souls.

EDIT: I guess it'll be much safer for us if they renamed it Vendicator.

Gorvprince has 626 Posts

Quote:
Play the 'what if' game and imagine what would happen if you grabbed your chance.

"All I need is to be confident"

pm.gif   

Old 06-26-2007

Armenia Vae Victis
Terran Supremacy
 Vae Victis is a model citizenVae Victis is a model citizenVae Victis is a model citizenVae Victis is a model citizenVae Victis is a model citizenVae Victis is a model citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorvprince View Post
wow.... you guys are deep.

Soul Hunter doesn't suck souls (IMO), I bet Blizzard knew that, and it's not misnomer either. Think if this way; the Soul Hunter is like draining away the life force/energy of a living thing or draining the psi/energy that empowers the said mechanism/structure and destroys them at the same time.

The way they were named Soul Hunter is because they look like they are sucking away souls.

EDIT: I guess it'll be much safer for us if they renamed it Vendicator.
Yes, that's what I tried to say, a misnomer. I think the thread derailed above your post.

Vae Victis has 22 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 06-26-2007

No country specified. To select a country, go to User CP -> Edit Profile -> Country Kingreaper
 Kingreaper is an unknown quantity at this point

The name really sounds like it belongs in the WarCraft universe.

The concept is just them trying to find a way to copy a cool skill into StarCraft. I reccomend renaming it something simpler. Say "Hunter".

Or "Vindicator" could be good. "Venerator" if it could consume the psionic energy of all that died around it, not just those it killed

Kingreaper has 1,949 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 06-27-2007

Sweden Jeltz
BF Member
 Jeltz has been here far, far too longJeltz has been here far, far too longJeltz has been here far, far too longJeltz has been here far, far too longJeltz has been here far, far too longJeltz has been here far, far too longJeltz has been here far, far too longJeltz has been here far, far too longJeltz has been here far, far too longJeltz has been here far, far too longJeltz has been here far, far too long

I am not terribly fond of the name Soul Hunter or their concept but I don't see what is wrong with the "Soul" part. Are Wraiths and Ghosts undead? Does the Vulture fly?

Soul Hunter is a name, not a description. As several others have said they do not have to steal any souls for them to be called Soul Hunters. And the concept of a soul is not too foreign to Protoss spirituality.

pm.gif   

Old 06-27-2007

Trinidad and Tobago TwoTimer
Life is GooD :)
 TwoTimer is obviously doing something rightTwoTimer is obviously doing something rightTwoTimer is obviously doing something rightTwoTimer is obviously doing something rightTwoTimer is obviously doing something rightTwoTimer is obviously doing something rightTwoTimer is obviously doing something rightTwoTimer is obviously doing something rightTwoTimer is obviously doing something rightTwoTimer is obviously doing something rightTwoTimer is obviously doing something right

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shelf View Post
Hrm, well, actually I did mention the Time Bomb, but thanks for your support!

But yeah, I didn't mean to derail the thread. The point is, the concept of souls is apparently not foreign to the Protoss.
Wuz just bout to say that. There's something to be said about the future of "magic" be actually harnessable in a way that makes it no longer "magical". (This isn't Castlevania BTW.)

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to TwoTimer  

Old 06-27-2007

United States The Shelf
BF Member
 The Shelf is dominating!The Shelf is dominating!The Shelf is dominating!The Shelf is dominating!The Shelf is dominating!The Shelf is dominating!The Shelf is dominating!The Shelf is dominating!The Shelf is dominating!The Shelf is dominating!The Shelf is dominating!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeltz View Post
I am not terribly fond of the name Soul Hunter or their concept but I don't see what is wrong with the "Soul" part. Are Wraiths and Ghosts undead? Does the Vulture fly?

Soul Hunter is a name, not a description. As several others have said they do not have to steal any souls for them to be called Soul Hunters. And the concept of a soul is not too foreign to Protoss spirituality.
Exactly. Hmm, Kingreaper has inspired me to create a list....

SC:BW & SC2 units that sound like they could belong in the WarCraft universe
1. Firebat (dragons anyone?)
2. Ghost
3. Goliath
4. Wraith
5. Valkyrie
6. Scourge (reminds me of a Middle Ages plague)
7. Phoenix
8. Soul Hunter
9. Colossus

A couple of those might be debatable, and there may even be a couple more I missed, but you get the point: why are we picking on the Soul Hunter?

pm.gif   

Old 06-27-2007

No country specified. To select a country, go to User CP -> Edit Profile -> Country Gorvprince
Prince of Misery
 Gorvprince is unstoppable!Gorvprince is unstoppable!Gorvprince is unstoppable!Gorvprince is unstoppable!Gorvprince is unstoppable!Gorvprince is unstoppable!Gorvprince is unstoppable!Gorvprince is unstoppable!Gorvprince is unstoppable!Gorvprince is unstoppable!Gorvprince is unstoppable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shelf View Post
Exactly. Hmm, Kingreaper has inspired me to create a list....

SC:BW & SC2 units that sound like they could belong in the WarCraft universe
1. Firebat (dragons anyone?)
2. Ghost
3. Goliath
4. Wraith
5. Valkyrie
6. Scourge (reminds me of a Middle Ages plague)
7. Phoenix
8. Soul Hunter
9. Colossus

A couple of those might be debatable, and there may even be a couple more I missed, but you get the point: why are we picking on the Soul Hunter?
Say Soul Hunter, what does it do? it hunts/sucks souls/life away. Say Ghost, what does it do?... then thats where the question stops, because Soul Hunter is a specific term named after for what they're supposed to do. And which of the names listed that has two words? Soul Hunter? yes. specific, no?

(i'm not arguing, I'm just clearing things out.)

Gorvprince has 626 Posts

Quote:
Play the 'what if' game and imagine what would happen if you grabbed your chance.

"All I need is to be confident"

pm.gif   

Old 06-27-2007

United States The Shelf
BF Member
 The Shelf is dominating!The Shelf is dominating!The Shelf is dominating!The Shelf is dominating!The Shelf is dominating!The Shelf is dominating!The Shelf is dominating!The Shelf is dominating!The Shelf is dominating!The Shelf is dominating!The Shelf is dominating!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorvprince View Post
Say Soul Hunter, what does it do? it hunts/sucks souls/life away. Say Ghost, what does it do?... then thats where the question stops, because Soul Hunter is a specific term named after for what they're supposed to do. And which of the names listed that has two words? Soul Hunter? yes. specific, no?

(i'm not arguing, I'm just clearing things out.)
That wasn't the point of the list, but I see what you're saying. However, perhaps we should contemplate this list....

SC:BW & SC2 units that are named after what they're supposed to do
1. Reaper
2. Defiler
3. Lurker
4. Devourer
5. Reaver
6. Soul Hunter
7. Arbiter (not sure about this one because you can't exactly "arbit" something)

So again, I don't see the problem with Soul Hunter. Surely you're not just complaining about it because it has two words in its name because I can make a list of units that have two words in their name too if you like.

Last edited by The Shelf; 06-27-2007 at 12:10 PM.

pm.gif   
Closed Thread