Warcraft Legacy Starcraft Legacy BlizzForums
The Future?

Go Back   BlizzForums > Games > StarCraft Discussion

StarCraft Discussion StarCraft & Brood War lie herein.

Old 06-17-2007

Albania Agon
BF Member
 Agon has a reputation beyond reputeAgon has a reputation beyond reputeAgon has a reputation beyond reputeAgon has a reputation beyond reputeAgon has a reputation beyond reputeAgon has a reputation beyond reputeAgon has a reputation beyond reputeAgon has a reputation beyond reputeAgon has a reputation beyond reputeAgon has a reputation beyond reputeAgon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Starcraft 2 system requirements

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBSHX View Post
lol you think WoW is a graphically intensive game? Thats a joke. RTS's require TONS of RAM to keep track of all of the units and such... its really not going to run on 256MB RAM. It sounds to me like you only have 256MB and you are wishing it required 256mb.
WoW requires tons of ram to keep track of all monsters, NPC and player controlled units in a map that is thousands bigger than any SC Map.

FYI: I do not have 256mb of ram. I have 1GB ddr2 dual channel ram with a fairly decent core2 and a nice case with 2 120MM fans on it so heat wont be a problem for me .

P.S. dont even ask about video card.

Agon has 340 Posts

Hell, It's about time.
1337 Sig Maker(I Think?)

pm.gif   

Old 06-17-2007

United States XBSHX
BF Member
 XBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agon View Post
WoW requires tons of ram to keep track of all monsters, NPC and player controlled units in a map that is thousands bigger than any SC Map.

FYI: I do not have 256mb of ram. I have 1GB ddr2 dual channel ram with a fairly decent core2 and a nice case with 2 120MM fans on it so heat wont be a problem for me .

P.S. dont even ask about video card.
lol who mentions their case when telling someone about their specs? I smell BS!!! go run WoW and see how much ram it uses... then go play a newer RTS like C&C 3 and see how much ram it uses... C&C 3 is going to use A LOT more ram. All the units on wow aren't on the screen at the same time... The positions of the NPC's and every other monster is streamed from the server so you don't have to keep it all in your RAM, it only keeps the stuff you are close to in the RAM. (and it loads slowly because you cant just zoom right over to some place in wow. In sc2 you could click on the minimap and go to a location and the units would have to be in the memory and visible the second you scroll to that spot. RTS's need to be very very responsive which is why they require more memory.

And you said WoW requires TONS of ram to keep track of all the monsters yet you are saying it only needs 256mb.... (the requirements are 512mb BTW). you seem to be contradicting your self quite a bit.

XBSHX has 3,215 Posts

Zergling seagull sound NEEDS to go.

pm.gif  Send a message via MSN to XBSHX  

Old 06-17-2007

United States Dragoon24
For Auir
 Dragoon24 is obviously doing something rightDragoon24 is obviously doing something rightDragoon24 is obviously doing something rightDragoon24 is obviously doing something rightDragoon24 is obviously doing something rightDragoon24 is obviously doing something rightDragoon24 is obviously doing something rightDragoon24 is obviously doing something rightDragoon24 is obviously doing something rightDragoon24 is obviously doing something rightDragoon24 is obviously doing something right

well i got only 512 memory so im hoping starcraft 2 is 256

Last edited by Dragoon24; 06-17-2007 at 11:08 AM.
Dragoon24 has 231 Posts

Starcraft 2 looks great so far!

pm.gif   

Old 06-17-2007

United States Dragoon24
For Auir
 Dragoon24 is obviously doing something rightDragoon24 is obviously doing something rightDragoon24 is obviously doing something rightDragoon24 is obviously doing something rightDragoon24 is obviously doing something rightDragoon24 is obviously doing something rightDragoon24 is obviously doing something rightDragoon24 is obviously doing something rightDragoon24 is obviously doing something rightDragoon24 is obviously doing something rightDragoon24 is obviously doing something right

Well i got only 512 memory so im hoping minimum requirements are around 256 so i have at least a chance of playing it

Last edited by Dragoon24; 06-17-2007 at 10:00 PM. Reason: sorry for double posting again guys please bear with me
Dragoon24 has 231 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 06-17-2007

Malaysia indrid cold
BF Member
 indrid cold is an unknown quantity at this point

i heard sc2 had havok physics right?

pm.gif   

Old 06-17-2007

United States XBSHX
BF Member
 XBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by indrid cold View Post
i heard sc2 had havok physics right?
Yeah it has Havok physics built in.

XBSHX has 3,215 Posts

Old 06-17-2007

United States Dragoon24
For Auir

From what im hearing it seems like you need a pretty fast comp

Dragoon24 has 231 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 06-17-2007

United States XBSHX
BF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoon24 View Post
From what im hearing it seems like you need a pretty fast comp
I wouldn't say "fast" but you aren't going to be running this on the comp you got back in 2002... thats for sure.

XBSHX has 3,215 Posts

Old 06-17-2007

United States Dragoon24
For Auir

mines a 2002 xp

Dragoon24 has 231 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 06-17-2007

Armenia Vae Victis
Terran Supremacy
 Vae Victis is a model citizenVae Victis is a model citizenVae Victis is a model citizenVae Victis is a model citizenVae Victis is a model citizenVae Victis is a model citizen

Minimum System Requirements

- 1.2GHz Intel or AMD CPU's
- 64MB 3D Graphics Card, GeForce 3 series or ATI RADEON 8500 series and above
- 512MB System RAM
- 56k or better internet connection for online play

Recommended System Requirments

- 1.8GHz Intel or AMD CPU's
- 128MB Graphics Card, GeForce 5 series or ATI RADEON 9000 series and above
- 1024MB System RAM
- Broadband Connection for online play

Best System Requirments

- Intel Pentium 4 2.4GHz+ or AMD Athlon 64 3800+ CPU
- 256MB Graphics Card, GeForce 6 series or ATI X800 series and above (If DX10 is used minimum of GeForce 8 series and AMDATI HD2000 series is required to use DX10 features)
- 1024MB System RAM
- Broadband Connection for online play

Vae Victis has 22 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 06-17-2007

United States Dragoon24
For Auir

Where are you guys getting this information?

Dragoon24 has 231 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 06-17-2007

Armenia Vae Victis
Terran Supremacy
 Vae Victis is a model citizenVae Victis is a model citizenVae Victis is a model citizenVae Victis is a model citizenVae Victis is a model citizenVae Victis is a model citizen

Just making an educated guess, well on my part.

Vae Victis has 22 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 06-17-2007

Canada The Master
BF Member
 The Master is obviously doing something rightThe Master is obviously doing something rightThe Master is obviously doing something rightThe Master is obviously doing something rightThe Master is obviously doing something rightThe Master is obviously doing something rightThe Master is obviously doing something rightThe Master is obviously doing something rightThe Master is obviously doing something rightThe Master is obviously doing something rightThe Master is obviously doing something right

System Requirements (IMO) [I wouldn't be surprised if they were higher than this though]

Minimum.
2.0+ghz
512mb RAM
256mb graphics PCI-E or AGP

Recommended
3.0ghz
1gb RAM
512mb graphics PCI-E or AGP

My computer has the minumum and a little extra, and it's a refurbished 4 year old piece of junk. I think that when they say 'it will run on a variety of computers' they aren't talking about computers that are 8 years old when the game comes out. IMO it will be at least as good [graphically] as C&C3 because C&C3 came out at least a year before SC2.

And in response to those WoW posts...

Requirements
Pentium III 800 mhz
512 mb RAM
32mb 3D graphics card
6gb HD space

Recommended
1.5ghz
1024mb (1gb) RAM
64mb 3D graphics card

Also, some more talk...

RTS usually don't need as much RAM as MMORPGs, but they almost always need a better video board, take WC3 which needs 1/4 the RAM as WoW [and half the processor], but exactly the same video board (32mb/64mb for required/recommended). RTS games also need better processors than MMORPGs because a lot more things are happening at one time.

Let's compare Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War and World of Warcraft which both came out in 2004 IIRC

Dawn of War /// World of Warcraft

Required
1.4ghz /// 800mhz
256mb RAM /// 512mb RAM
32mb Video /// 32mb Video
2gb HD /// 6gb HD

Recommended
2.2ghz /// 1.5ghz
512mb RAM /// 1024mb RAM
64mb Video /// 64 mb Video

So, the RTS needs a way faster CPU than the MMORPG, same video, and half the RAM. The HD needs are also way different, but that is expected considering there is a lot more texture in an RPG game because of the huge world instead of tiny maps.

The Master has 125 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 06-17-2007

Canada Alex06
Awesome Beyond Awesome
 Alex06 is a name known to allAlex06 is a name known to allAlex06 is a name known to allAlex06 is a name known to allAlex06 is a name known to allAlex06 is a name known to allAlex06 is a name known to allAlex06 is a name known to allAlex06 is a name known to allAlex06 is a name known to allAlex06 is a name known to all

It is safe to say that these will most likely be the requirements for SC2:

Minimum
1.8ghz
512MB RAM
64MB GFX with pixel shader 2.0
4x DVD Drive

Recommended
2.8ghz
1GB RAM
128mb GFX with pixel shader 3.0
8x DVD Drive

HDD space: 4 to 5 GB

As for a DX10 version (if Blizzard ever decides to make such a patch), it would only require either a GeForce 8(tm) series or ATI R600 GPU in addition to the recommended settings. (Along with Windows Vista, of course)

Last edited by Alex06; 06-17-2007 at 08:54 PM.
Alex06 has 881 Posts

Kudos to Arkceangel for the avatar and sig!

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to Alex06 Send a message via MSN to Alex06 Send a message via Yahoo to Alex06 

Old 06-17-2007

United States Dragoon24
For Auir

looks like somebodys gotta find some money for a new computer

Dragoon24 has 231 Posts

pm.gif