Warcraft Legacy Starcraft Legacy BlizzForums
The Future?

Go Back   BlizzForums > General Forums > Chit Chat

Chit Chat Your Life, Your Thoughts, Your Nonsense.

Old 11-25-2007

United States The Hawaiian
Ua mau ke ea o ka ʻāina i
 The Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too much
Default "I believe in zombies and I am ready for when they attack"

Ok this is for those of us who KNOW (not through knowledge or supporting evidence/facts, just survival instinct) that one day the world is going to be taken over by flesh-eating zombies bent on killing you and everyone else. Now that we have established this fact, what are the best strategies one could use to survive in such a situation?

I personally think everyone should own a gun, not just for zombies but for self-defense in general. But in a zombie-apocalypse scenario you might also have to use it on other humans who might try to steal/loot your stash or breach your hideout.

Next, I heard a lot of people suggesting to go drive and pick up their relatives. This is stupid because the roads would be inaccessible for the most part with cars piled up and no way to get around them, not to mention the inherent risk of traveling outside. If one MUST leave the house to get supplies it should be an in-and-out ordeal bringing with you at least 2 armed persons. Also, don't plan on paying for anything because there would be widespread looting, but if you somehow manage to get to a store before the area becomes infected pay for your shit and get the hell outta there.

Supplies needed...

LOTS of water, for those of you who don't have a survival kit I recommend getting a water purifier, either iodine tablets or the ultraviolet kind. You never know if the water is infected...
Food to last at least for 1 month, possibly 2.
Guns and PLENTY of ammunition.
A group of at least 5 people
Things that can be used to board up your home to prevent them from getting inside. You could even use things like car doors and refridgerators
Toilet Paper
Alcohol and cigarettes, cards will also come in handy because they dont make noise
Lighters and flashlights, just in case, but try not to attract the undead
Melee weapon, recommended a Katana, or baseball bat, or crow bar, something with range
Radio//television so you can see what the fuck is going on

Anything else I missed? Of course you will need clothes and sleeping stuff. The best advice is to stay inside, but if you live in a house with lots of glass doors like mine (my entire back of the house is a continuous column/row of windows you can see what Im doing from the other side of the lake) it might be wise to go somewhere else, even raid a neighbors home. The less doors and windows the better the structure. Zombies arent smart but they are pretty strong.

Any other ideas/plans? I've heard people talk about holeing up in Wal-mart but I wrote a pretty lengthy refutation on why that would be a bad idea.

The Hawaiian has 8,445 Posts

"The Khala awaits me, and though I fear not death, you will not find me easy prey."

pm.gif   

Old 11-25-2007

Canada Bred
Ich Bin Brot
 Bred did it for teh lulzBred did it for teh lulzBred did it for teh lulzBred did it for teh lulzBred did it for teh lulzBred did it for teh lulzBred did it for teh lulzBred did it for teh lulzBred did it for teh lulzBred did it for teh lulzBred did it for teh lulz

I'm a pretty firm believer that one day something like this will happen... Anyways -

You're idea about the water purifier is pretty good. I wouldn't have thought of that.
Clothes would be ideal. You need to make sure that you have enough clothes for enough suitable situations. If you're going to be holed up for 2-3 months, you're going to need Warm clothes if you live in an area prone to bad winters, and rain resistant shit if you live in an area that has that kind of problem. A nice comfy easy to store sleeping bag would be helpful too.
Can't forget a compass.
Melee weapon wise - Katana's aren't exactly something that everyone has acess to. Personally I'd try to find either a really solid aluminum baseball bat, or a 2 footish long lead pipe. I'd probably raid a local Canadian tire for said items, as well as a decent knife and a shotgun.
Some kerosene and a portable gas stove would be good to have as well.

I don't know about not grouping up w/ family. first thing I'd do when I heard of an infection would be to get all my friends/fam together. Next step would be to get supplies for everyone. AKA mass lootage.

Why would holing up in a wal-mart be a bad idea? If you're a decent amount of people (i mean like 20-25 here, anymore than that is total overkill) you could probably pull it off and survive for a good amount of time until one of you decides to go apeshit and start killing people...

Bred has 8,696 Posts

i got atm machines for testicles..go me.. - Demon

pm.gif   

Old 11-25-2007

United States H[end]rix
Burntout
 H[end]rix has ascended to greatnessH[end]rix has ascended to greatnessH[end]rix has ascended to greatnessH[end]rix has ascended to greatnessH[end]rix has ascended to greatnessH[end]rix has ascended to greatnessH[end]rix has ascended to greatnessH[end]rix has ascended to greatnessH[end]rix has ascended to greatnessH[end]rix has ascended to greatnessH[end]rix has ascended to greatness

Me and my friends have debated this topic to no end. We decided that the best course of action is to take a Wal-Mart as your place of refuge. All the supplies you listed are contained at these wonderful stores, including guns and ammunition.

H[end]rix has 2,608 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 11-26-2007

The Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too much

Alright well here was my reply to the facebook group of the same name of this topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt
The roof of a walmart supercenter is the best place, far and away. While it pains me to say I would go to walmart for anything, their downhome blend of being able to get camping tents, food, and any kind of killing implements, from guns to knives, to Christian fmaily supplies is unparalled. Then its up to the roof, cause even fas zombies cant figure out how to get up on a roof.From the roof, you can pick off zombies with guns, or wait til they leave/starve. On a side note, a walmart greeter is as close to the walking dead as I have ever seen.
My answer....

That would be good but the main issue there is breaching the Wal-Mart i.e. surviving the trip then getting inside. Seems like Wal Mart would be one of the first places to fall because there is so many people. But if you did somehow make your way through the chaos unscathed, and then somehow managed to make several trips loading the supplies up onto the roof then sealing the entrance, you might have a shot.

Then there is the minor issue of having to go back downstairs to get more supplies if you run out. If you didn't bring up at least 30 shopping carts full of water your screwed (imagine doing that in a zombie-infested Wal-Mart, especially the fast kind from Dawn of the Dead 2004). Of course you might also need sleeping supplies if it get cold, change of clothes, toilet paper so you could wipe your ass after shitting on the zombies off the roof, food.

All in all you would have to do most of this WELL in advance, getting all the supplies up there would take several hours. Then there is the issue of other people following your brilliant idea, which means you need even more supplies. With more people comes more complications (i.e., some idiot wants to go back down to get something from Wal Mart, fight breaks out someone dies, someone see's a family member and tries to "help" them, someone opens the roof hatch, etc.)

All in all, you would have to enter Wal Mart with a squad/team and basically have everyone at gunpoint get the fuck outta your way or have them work for you while you cover them. Your chances of pulling this off are very slim unless you and your battle buddies in your National Guard outfit get together and plan it out.

Of course the best thing to do is plan ahead of time but the main thing is that you have to remember the roads will be in all probability inaccessible. You will get to points where the road is completely blocked off by wrecked cars and ditches you cant get around. Stay off the roads, they are a killzone. So stockup your house and make it so you can board up the place. Life will be quite uncomfortable, dont expect to be throwing parties or anything, turn the t.v. off, dont use appliances, etc. I've thought about this and Ive come to the conclusion Id probably have to kill my dogs (whom I love very much) because they would attract too much attention plus I couldnt risk letting them out to take a shit and what not.

Am I the only one who has put this much thought into the possibility? I'm only naming the first things that come to mind.

"The Khala awaits me, and though I fear not death, you will not find me easy prey."

pm.gif   

Old 11-26-2007

United States Golgo 13
ಠ_ಠ
 Golgo 13 might just love this place a little bit too muchGolgo 13 might just love this place a little bit too muchGolgo 13 might just love this place a little bit too muchGolgo 13 might just love this place a little bit too muchGolgo 13 might just love this place a little bit too muchGolgo 13 might just love this place a little bit too muchGolgo 13 might just love this place a little bit too muchGolgo 13 might just love this place a little bit too muchGolgo 13 might just love this place a little bit too muchGolgo 13 might just love this place a little bit too muchGolgo 13 might just love this place a little bit too much

You need to read this book prior to the zombocalypse.

Golgo 13 has 10,560 Posts

"The modern banking system manufactures money out of nothing. The process is perhaps the most astounding piece of sleight-of-hand that was ever invented. Banking was conceived in inequity and born in sin. But if you want to continue to be slaves of the bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, then let the bankers continue to create money and control credit."

- Josiah Charles, President of the Bank of England & 2nd richest man in Great Britain (1880-1941)

pm.gif   

Old 11-26-2007

United States .Jackal
Fuerza De Liberacion
 .Jackal is a name known to all.Jackal is a name known to all.Jackal is a name known to all.Jackal is a name known to all.Jackal is a name known to all.Jackal is a name known to all.Jackal is a name known to all.Jackal is a name known to all.Jackal is a name known to all.Jackal is a name known to all.Jackal is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golgo 13 View Post
You need to read this book prior to the zombocalypse.
It's funny this just popped up, I finished reading the book yesterday.

After that, I downloaded 28 Weeks Later and got so pumped after watching it.

.Jackal has 3,315 Posts

Iíve always wanted
To eat glass with you again

pm.gif   

Old 11-26-2007

Already have.

pm.gif   

Old 11-26-2007

United States Golgo 13
ಠ_ಠ
 Golgo 13 might just love this place a little bit too muchGolgo 13 might just love this place a little bit too muchGolgo 13 might just love this place a little bit too muchGolgo 13 might just love this place a little bit too muchGolgo 13 might just love this place a little bit too muchGolgo 13 might just love this place a little bit too muchGolgo 13 might just love this place a little bit too muchGolgo 13 might just love this place a little bit too muchGolgo 13 might just love this place a little bit too muchGolgo 13 might just love this place a little bit too muchGolgo 13 might just love this place a little bit too much

Okay, first of all, the zombocalypse will be orders of magnitude worse than the worst case scenario I've been detailing for peak oil. All your supplies will dry up and stop coming in pretty much instantly as the infected begin their exponential creep throughout society.

The best you could do is prepare in advance and beat the rush on supplies that everyone is going to do. You're going to have thousands of people at Wal-Mart and one of them is probably going to be bitten and turn right there in the crowd or zombies will be attracted to the hoardes of humans congregating in a single area. it will be absolute madness with those that get to the sporting goods section shooting indiscriminately.

Basically, you have to get a cache of supplies, get the hell out of populated areas, and hole up in the boondocks until those that who have become infected are infected and those who aren't are safe, and the zombies die off from starvation.

And even then, if you survive, the human population will be a sliver of what it used to be and there could still be some errant zombies about. We're talking about going from several billion to several millions, depending on what type of zombocalypse it is (i.e. NotLD vs 28DL). So at this point you can basically kiss the comforts of modern society goodbye. You don't have anyone driving tankers through the canals to import oil, noone working in refineries to process it, noone running the gas pipelines and coal convoys to keep the electricity flowing, no agribusiness, no fire department, no police, no EMS, no hospitals, no utilities, no nothing.

Last edited by Golgo 13; 11-26-2007 at 12:29 AM.

"The modern banking system manufactures money out of nothing. The process is perhaps the most astounding piece of sleight-of-hand that was ever invented. Banking was conceived in inequity and born in sin. But if you want to continue to be slaves of the bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, then let the bankers continue to create money and control credit."

- Josiah Charles, President of the Bank of England & 2nd richest man in Great Britain (1880-1941)

pm.gif   

Old 11-26-2007

United States Ben
The Sartorialist
 Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...

If you don't believe the zombies are coming you are a fucking retard who is going to have the flesh torn from your bones by the living dead.

First of all, don't bother getting supplies because you aren't going to be staying in your house. Boarding up your house and trying to survive there is asking for a horrible death. First of all the zombocalypse is going to be permanent, not temporary, so you will run out of supplies. Secondly, the undead won't be the only thing you have to worry about. Once the general breakdown of civilization occurs, there are going to be humans breaking into houses. You don't want an armed band of marauders busting down your window while you are munching on your cooler ranch doritoes and wackin' it to some vintage Jenna Jameson.

Your supplies should be a backpack full of non-perishable foods, as many bottles of water as you can carry, and a high-caliber semi-automatic handgun. The Zombie Survival Guide recommends the M1911 Colt .45. Rifles are a no no, too big and cumbersome. Unless you can't find a semi-automatic sidearm, there is no reason to have one. Automatic weapons are right out, since they waste ammunition. If its going to be a blunt weapon, the longer the better. A medieval pole arm would be best, but since you aren't going to get one of those, a baseball bat, crowbar, shovel, hoe, etc, are all good options. I'm partial to the shovel myself, since you can use a rock to sharpen the edges and turn it into a makeshift battle axe.

Tight-fitting clothes are best (though you might want to stuff some winter clothes in the backpack if you can fit them). The undead will not have much trouble ripping through your bluejeans, so you want clothes that are as friendly to mobility as possible.

Get as far away from human civilization as possible, as fast as possible, using as few major highways as possible. Get into the mountains and start learning to live off the land. The only thing that will be more dangerous to you than the living dead will be the living.

That's everything off of the top of my head.

Ben has 11,099 Posts

What's happening?
I keep my dreadlocks in a napkin ring
Rap and sing
Unlike the homogenous clones
I'm in to earth tones, birth stones, and erogenous zones
The more ticklish the more you have
Sitting on the curb of what used to be the burbs
And before that was Canarcie
I'm a disturbed and bitter herb
Like saltwater and parsley

Most Intelligent Debater 2008

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to Ben Send a message via MSN to Ben  

Old 11-26-2007

United States Golgo 13
ಠ_ಠ

A good strategy is to not get any hydrated foods. All your foods should be dehydrated and water should fulfil your hydration needs. This allows you to carry a lot more much easier when you have to bug out.

Living off the land is pretty hard stuff, so you'll need plenty of foodstuffs to last until your first crops mature enough for harvest.

pm.gif   

Old 11-26-2007

United States Ben
The Sartorialist
 Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...

Agrarian is out of the question. You won't be able to stay in any one place long enough to get a working farm going. Hunter-gatherer is the only option. Save the gun for the zombies, use your blunt weapon to hunt animals, hope there are edible berries/roots etc in your area.

Ben has 11,099 Posts

What's happening?
I keep my dreadlocks in a napkin ring
Rap and sing
Unlike the homogenous clones
I'm in to earth tones, birth stones, and erogenous zones
The more ticklish the more you have
Sitting on the curb of what used to be the burbs
And before that was Canarcie
I'm a disturbed and bitter herb
Like saltwater and parsley

Most Intelligent Debater 2008

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to Ben Send a message via MSN to Ben  

Old 11-26-2007

United States JT
ur head asplodes
 JT would like to thank all of the little people...JT would like to thank all of the little people...JT would like to thank all of the little people...JT would like to thank all of the little people...JT would like to thank all of the little people...JT would like to thank all of the little people...JT would like to thank all of the little people...JT would like to thank all of the little people...JT would like to thank all of the little people...JT would like to thank all of the little people...JT would like to thank all of the little people...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
Agrarian is out of the question. You won't be able to stay in any one place long enough to get a working farm going. Hunter-gatherer is the only option. Save the gun for the zombies, use your blunt weapon to hunt animals, hope there are edible berries/roots etc in your area.
You could even set up traps to get rabbits and squirrels.

JT has 18,012 Posts

Join Clan Blizzforums, the only BF Steam Group!

Equations are more important to me, because politics is for the present, but an equation is something for eternity. -Albert Einstein

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to JT Send a message via MSN to JT  

Old 11-26-2007

United States Golgo 13
ಠ_ಠ

Agrarian would be hard, so the best idea would be to get seeds of hardy edible plants that require no maintenence and sew them as you go. That way if you ever come back through later on, you could have something to eat.

pm.gif   

Old 11-26-2007

Canada Starcraft-4-Life
∫e^x dx
 Starcraft-4-Life is obviously doing something rightStarcraft-4-Life is obviously doing something rightStarcraft-4-Life is obviously doing something rightStarcraft-4-Life is obviously doing something rightStarcraft-4-Life is obviously doing something rightStarcraft-4-Life is obviously doing something rightStarcraft-4-Life is obviously doing something rightStarcraft-4-Life is obviously doing something rightStarcraft-4-Life is obviously doing something rightStarcraft-4-Life is obviously doing something rightStarcraft-4-Life is obviously doing something right

In the long run we would be screwed if where talking about a very worst case scenario of a zombie foothold on earth...and if i know it was going to happen i steal me a couple of rilfes sniper rifles and a hole swag of Ammo maybe i will hole my self up in a ammunition place so i have alot of bullets, get me a deagle and find me some bullet proof/ vest and some army cammo. Get me some radios/some batteries... get in touch with survivors.

Also folks aim for the head! Nothing putz down a zombie with a single head shot, and if u are in a group of ppl remember dont save anyone if they are already getting eaten by zombie worst is that they will drag the entire group with you.

Starcraft2 is finally here...i pretty much wasted 10 years waiting for this game! let see during those 10 years i played 4 years of SC:BW, another 4 years of school and 2 years of ever wondering if they have even considered SC2

pm.gif   

Old 11-26-2007

While I agree with your assessment in general, the problem comes with actually leaving the cities. I live in the country, there are about 50 homes in my "neighborhood" thats if you count the people on the other side of the lake (I live on the inlet...hard to explain, but you could swim to the other side in about a minute). I could go to my cousins/grandmas house which is even more remote, but it would be a serious risk just getting there. What would you do if there was a wreck and you actually had to come to a stop? Oh shit...here they come!!!! So you instinctively whip it in reverse and get away for the time being, then you hit one and it distracts, you see more coming, BAM you hit a ditch....car stuck, now your dead.

This situation would be about x100 complicated/hard if you didn't have a car. Traveling anywhere long distance on foot, is a big no-no. Thats why I stuck with the original idea that you should probably stay put if your home/base/structure/building is defendable AND has supplies. Remember, it's better to starve to death than get eaten!

But I could be wrong, it's possible I haven't analyzed this one from every angle, which is why I appreciate input. Why? Because I am actually considering the best course of action, and I wanna know if my plans have a better survival percentage than anything else.

Last edited by The Hawaiian; 11-26-2007 at 01:03 AM.

pm.gif