Warcraft Legacy Starcraft Legacy BlizzForums
The Future?

Go Back   BlizzForums > Games > StarCraft Discussion

StarCraft Discussion StarCraft & Brood War lie herein.

Old 06-07-2007

Canada Classic1977
BF Member
 Classic1977 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Zerg: New Zerg could be able to Infest most units.

So Ive been thinking, part of the Zerg story-line is their ability to transplant other species into their gene pool (like infested Terrans in SC).

I think in SC2 Zerg will have some ability to capture most any biological units and use them...I'm obviously not sure to what extent this will happen, but I would be surprised if the Zerg couldn't get some kind of corrupted version of other races units...say if you captured a sample with a queen you could make "infested zealots"...

Wouldn't that add a new aspect to game play?

Last edited by Classic1977; 06-07-2007 at 05:44 PM.

pm.gif   

Old 06-07-2007

United States UED Special Ops
BF Vet
 UED Special Ops has become enlightenedUED Special Ops has become enlightenedUED Special Ops has become enlightenedUED Special Ops has become enlightenedUED Special Ops has become enlightenedUED Special Ops has become enlightenedUED Special Ops has become enlightenedUED Special Ops has become enlightenedUED Special Ops has become enlightenedUED Special Ops has become enlightenedUED Special Ops has become enlightened
Default Re: The New Zerg

Umm, talk about some insane imbalance and ruined game play. First off, the Zerg can't freaking infest the Toss. Only the Overmind had that kinda power, and he is dead now, twice. Second, that is assimilation you are describing, not infestation. The Zerg can only produce infested Terrans from infested Command Centers, as those Command Centers were filled with Terrans. A Queen or any other Zerg unit can't just grab some DNA and suddenly make an infested version of a unit. They need to infest it, and then, that would only work on the Terrans, and well, Blizz said that each race will be keeping around the same number of units, and this would add way to many to the Zerg. Nuff said.

UED Special Ops has 4,775 Posts

06-27-06: The date that BF returned!!

pm.gif   

Old 06-07-2007

Canada Classic1977
BF Member

Infestation is the first step in the process of assimilation, you cant say the gameplay would be imbalanced because there is no concrete method by which this ability would be possible.

If you had to, say.... capture an enemy command center, and then research the infested units, it might not be unbalanced. Plus, I bet only the biological units would be susceptible.

AND!!! Protoss in SC1 could capture any races tech-tree by mind controlling a worker!
This wasn't unbalanced because it was hard to perform, although the Zerg ability I hypothesized would be a common part of gameplay.

pm.gif   

Old 06-07-2007

BF Vet
 UED Special Ops has become enlightenedUED Special Ops has become enlightenedUED Special Ops has become enlightenedUED Special Ops has become enlightenedUED Special Ops has become enlightenedUED Special Ops has become enlightenedUED Special Ops has become enlightenedUED Special Ops has become enlightenedUED Special Ops has become enlightenedUED Special Ops has become enlightenedUED Special Ops has become enlightened

Yes, but you are ignoring the facts. The Toss can't be infested, so what you said can't work on the Toss. That, and Blizz said they will make every unit useful and useable(or something like that) and well, getting the units you have suggested just sounds like it will almost never happen in a regular match.

pm.gif   

Old 06-07-2007

Canada Classic1977
BF Member

THE zerg's mission in SC1 was to infest the toss, ITS WHAT THEY CAME FOR.

also, I'm pretty sure the overmind will make a comeback in SC2...wait and see..cause blizzard owns the intellectual property, not you, whatever they want to happen can happen...there is no "Fact" in fantasy fiction..lol

pm.gif   

Old 06-07-2007

BF Vet

Umm, that mission failed. The Zerg failed in their goal to infest and assimilate the Toss. Thus, considering that the Overmind has been dead for 4 years now, and Kerrigan is no where near as powerful of the Overmind was, it stands to reason that the Toss will not be infested by the Zerg under Kerrigan. The Toss and Zerg are two pieces of the same whole, and that is the goal of Duran with his Hybrids, to bring the two races together as one, purity of form and essence.

That, and while Blizz can do what they like with SC2, they will follow the facts that they have created about the SC Universe, and one of those facts is that the Zerg can not infest the Toss. If the Overmind failed, Kerrigan would not have a chance.

pm.gif   

Old 06-07-2007

Canada Classic1977
BF Member

Look, blizzard could make a storyline advancement to allow this into gameplay, for instance, maybe Kerrigan becomes more powerful (WOW THAT WAS HARD)..

Im not saying the ENTIRE tech tree, just a few Bio units here and there for each side.

Anyway, somebody else please!

pm.gif   

Old 06-07-2007

BF Vet

Well, all I am saying is that you can't ignore the facts, unless Kerrigan magically and suddenly became smarter and more powerful then the Overmind, it just doesn't seem possible for the Zerg to infest the Toss. Terrans, sure, I could see Blizz letting the Zerg have more then the exploding Infested Terran, but the Toss on the other hand...

pm.gif   

Old 06-07-2007

Canada Psi Warp
Psionic Sequence Initiate
 Psi Warp is made of winPsi Warp is made of winPsi Warp is made of winPsi Warp is made of winPsi Warp is made of winPsi Warp is made of winPsi Warp is made of winPsi Warp is made of winPsi Warp is made of winPsi Warp is made of winPsi Warp is made of win

Well... maybe just some terrans? Infested marine and reaper? Because if they infest Protoss now we are doomed -.-

-Psi

Psi Warp has 2,280 Posts

pm.gif  Send a message via Yahoo to Psi Warp 

Old 06-07-2007

United States Zyfiel
BF Member
 Zyfiel is on a distinguished road

Most of the arguments here are not supported by evidence.

The Protoss cannot be infested (at this point): True.

The Zerg came to Koprulu specifically to Infest the Protoss: Debatable, they always wanted to infest the Protoss, but they want to infest everything, especially the newly discovered Terrans.

Mind Control is hard to accomplish: False, just drop a DT and a few zealots into a hostile expansion, mind control a worker and recall the lot.

The Queen cannot steal DNA from surroundings: Debatable, for while the books are not cannon this is precisely the function they serve outside of the game and how it is explained that the Zerg can assimilate new races. They harvest the DNA of even one individual and experiment. A baneling like creature appeared in Shadow of the Xel'Naga in great numbers, though they were based upon a single old blue dog. They do not have this ability ingame because that is now how Blizzard intended gameplay to go.

Now a few other points. Blizzard has already said they do not plan on releasing a slew of new units, they want to have near-to the same number of units they did in Starcraft. That being said, infested zealots, reapers, marines, and whatever else would constitute a large influx of new units. In actuality, if Blizzard indeed does not want to inflate the unit count, then only one can appear in Starcraft II.

As an aside, the ability of mind-control is totally different from infestation: what new unit is formed when you mind control and opponent? In addition, I would not be in the least bit shocked if Blizzard made a mind-controlled non-probe unit unable to construct buildings.

pm.gif   

Old 06-07-2007

United States Gradius
For Vengenace
 Gradius is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!Gradius is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!Gradius is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!Gradius is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!Gradius is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!Gradius is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!Gradius is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!Gradius is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!Gradius is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!Gradius is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!Gradius is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic1977 View Post
Protoss in SC1 could capture any races tech-tree by mind controlling a worker!
This wasn't unbalanced because it was hard to perform,
I agree. But this is really the only thing holding your suggestion together.

Gradius has 5,020 Posts

Best StarCraft II Poster 2008 | Best Moderator 2008
Best StarCraft II Poster 2007 Runner Up | Most-Liked StarCraft II Poster 2007

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to Gradius Send a message via MSN to Gradius  

Old 06-07-2007

United States XBSHX
BF Member
 XBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to all

where does it say the toss can't be infested?

XBSHX has 3,215 Posts

Zergling seagull sound NEEDS to go.

pm.gif  Send a message via MSN to XBSHX  

Old 06-07-2007

Canada countchocula86
Chocolate God
 countchocula86 is made of wincountchocula86 is made of wincountchocula86 is made of wincountchocula86 is made of wincountchocula86 is made of wincountchocula86 is made of wincountchocula86 is made of wincountchocula86 is made of wincountchocula86 is made of wincountchocula86 is made of wincountchocula86 is made of win

Either in the manual, or during the game or something, but its clearly mentioned the Zerg cannot infest/assimilate the Protoss yet, and must use the Terrans as a stepping stone.

countchocula86 has 1,599 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://mylifeforauir.com/
Any sentence that begins with “Protoss cannot” is a flat out lie. Protoss can.

pm.gif   

Old 06-07-2007

Canada Classic1977
BF Member

I think a big part of SC2 will be the zerg infestation of the protoss, and by the way, wasnt the dark templar matriarch infested or at least corrupted someway by the zerg?

Anyway, again I didnt mean the that they will steal whole techtrees.. I am saying that I think the zerg will have more of an ability to use infested units (terran AND toss, for balance) in SC2.

pm.gif   

Old 06-07-2007

United States Zyfiel
BF Member
 Zyfiel is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic1977 View Post
I think a big part of SC2 will be the zerg infestation of the protoss, and by the way, wasnt the dark templar matriarch infested or at least corrupted someway by the zerg?

Anyway, again I didnt mean the that they will steal whole techtrees.. I am saying that I think the zerg will have more of an ability to use infested units (terran AND toss, for balance) in SC2.
At the expense of...? for the gain of...?

Besides looking pretty, what would infested protoss add to the game? The Zerg don't need infested units for effective play (in fact the infested terran is just icing on the cake) so what would adding infested units do? What niche in the zerg army would they fill?

Also, which unit gets removed in their stead?

pm.gif