Warcraft Legacy Starcraft Legacy BlizzForums
The Future?

Go Back   BlizzForums > Games > Diablo Discussion

Diablo Discussion Enter the Uncertain Realm Dominated by an Epic Conflict.

Old 07-04-2008

United States mr. peasant
 mr. peasant is a name known to allmr. peasant is a name known to allmr. peasant is a name known to allmr. peasant is a name known to allmr. peasant is a name known to allmr. peasant is a name known to allmr. peasant is a name known to allmr. peasant is a name known to allmr. peasant is a name known to allmr. peasant is a name known to allmr. peasant is a name known to all
Default [Suggestion] Ranger Class

In light of the recent squabbling over the art direction, I thought I'd redirect my energies (along with anyone else who's interested) into something more constructive. In this case, a class suggestion. In all likelihood, a 'Ranger' type class is quite possible to be amongst the 3 currently unreleased classes. As such, I tried thinking how I would go about it. Anyway, here's an incomplete suggestion though I've included some suggestions for abilities. For those interested, I've added the lore/background for the Ranger in the next message to ease reading for those who'd rather skip it. Feedback and suggestions are most definitely welcome.

Summary of the Ranger Class:

Essentially, the Ranger will primarily be a fast character and a master of ranged combat. However, s/he will still be fairly competent at close range as well to accommodate her/his inability to summon minions for help. To counterbalance her/his proficiency in both, close and ranged combat, most of her/his combat abilities would require specific weapons to work (thus require weapon switching in mid-combat) and that s/he is too fragile to survive prolonged combat at close range. Like the Barbarian, doesn't use mana (could be Fury or some a Dexterity-based resource).

Ranged Combat:

Poison Dart - Poisons enemy for a certain duration (no requirements)
Distraction Shot - Causes out-of-combat enemies to move to a certain point (any ranged weapon)
Sustained Fire - Fires arrows at a faster rate at a specific target (bow and crossbow)
Powder Keg - Throws a bomb that explodes on impact, dealing instant damage to an area (no requirements)
Spread Shot - Throws all equipped throwing weapons in an arc for increasing damage per weapon thrown (throwing only)

Close Combat:

Bone Blade - Construct or modifies a Bone Blade from a corpse*
Monkey Fist - A vicious kick which knocks the target back several yards
Fang Style - Dual wield swords, axes and Bone Blades
Lightning Strikes - Increases attack rate and deals lightning damage (requires sword, axe or Bone Blade)
Mutilate - Deals high instant damage and leaves no corpse (requires sword, axe or Bone Blade)

Survival:

Scavenge - Searches corpse for extra loot
Roll with the Punch - Knocks the Ranger back several yards when next hit
Far Sight - Allows the Ranger to see further than normal in a specific direction
Stealth - Allows the Ranger to temporarily move undetected as long not near a fire (loses stealth once start attacking)
Snare - Deploys a trap that ensnares an enemy in place, blocking the path
Sylvian Cocktail - A trap containing a volatile mixture which burns the ground when activated

*Bone Blade:

The Bone Blade is the class-specific item of the Ranger. It cannot be purchased from a vendor and can only be constructed from corpses. It also has little resale value (1 gold). Also, the player can only carry one Bone Blade at a time. Using the skill again upgrades the current Bone Blade (maximum upgrade depends on skill and class levels). Additional bonuses can be heaped onto the Bone Blade by casting the Bone Blade skill on certain corpses (e.g. a Fire Golem corpse may give fire damage).

Other Details:

1. When climbing down a ladder, the Ranger simply leaps off the side and free falls down, landing in a crouch for a moment before standing up and resuming normal.

Last edited by mr. peasant; 07-04-2008 at 04:07 AM.

pm.gif   

Old 07-04-2008

mr. peasant is a name known to allmr. peasant is a name known to allmr. peasant is a name known to allmr. peasant is a name known to allmr. peasant is a name known to allmr. peasant is a name known to allmr. peasant is a name known to allmr. peasant is a name known to allmr. peasant is a name known to allmr. peasant is a name known to allmr. peasant is a name known to all

Lore:

Hailing from the great wilderness south to Khanduras, the Rangers of Sylvian are a mysterious people. Great stories have been told of how the Rangers were one with nature and honed their martial prowess against the beasts that roamed the land. So, one can only imagine my disappointment when I finally encountered a few on my recent trip to New Tristram. Rather than the reserved Keepers of the Wild, the young men and women claiming Sylvian heritage were a loud and rambunctious lot, drawn to the new settlement by the promise of adventure.

Unlike the legends whispered amongst scholarly circles, these Rangers were carefree. It seemed they lived for nothing more than to chase after quests and skirts, boasting their numerous exploits over a pint at the local tavern. They were well aware of the stories which preceded them, only too glad to recount their life in the southern wilds to anyone curious enough to listen. Combining their natural charisma, tales of daring and exotic past, there is little wonder why the Rangers are well liked by the local wenches and impressionable youth alike. Unsurprisingly, like myself, it was the older generation who scorned the Rangers, no doubt nervous for their children as they watched the Rangers woo anyone whose feet could touch the floor.

But perhaps I had judged them too early. It was night and I was hopelessly lost in the Tristram forest. Worse still, I had recently stumbled upon a satanic ritual and my presence discovered. So, I ran as hard as I could, as though Diablo himself was chasing me. And in a way, it very well could have been. It was at that moment when I was joined by a young girl. I instantly recognized her to be one of the Rangers residing in New Tristram.

Without saying a word, the girl grabbed me by the hand and led me into the trees. Though dark, she seemed to know where she was going, her eyes somehow always knowing where the cultists were. We ran for what seemed like hours until we came to a clearing. Thinking we were cornered, I was surprised when the cultists behind us were suddenly killed by explosives hidden in the ground. Those that survived were viciously and efficiently dispatched by the Ranger's bow. It dawned upon me that the girl must have planned this all ahead before making her appearance. I guess there was substance to their bragging after all.

As the fight wore on, I noticed the Ranger carried a myriad array of weapons, suggesting proficiency in them. No doubt a result of her excesses, her weapons were of poor quality and in a state of disrepair. All, except a single blade made of ivory. At once, I knew this was the fabled Bone Blade that all Rangers made as part of their training. Made from the bones of their fallen prey, the weapon was adorned with hairs and scales, no doubt from further kills and serving to augment the weapon's power.

Once all the cultists had either died or fled, the Ranger and I bade our goodbyes. I offered her what gold I had but she merely smiled and declined. As we made our separate ways, I last saw the girl approaching the cultists' bodies, no doubt to scavenge what treasures she could find and to add to her Bone Blade. I left having a newfound respect for Rangers as well as a mixture of pride and embarrassment in the knowledge that I was now probably going to forever be remembered in barroom as the tale of 'the foolish scholar who got lost in the woods'.

~Abd Al-Hazir

Last edited by mr. peasant; 07-04-2008 at 04:07 AM.

pm.gif   

Old 07-04-2008

Brazil Amok
Critter Christmas
 Amok is clearly better than youAmok is clearly better than youAmok is clearly better than youAmok is clearly better than youAmok is clearly better than youAmok is clearly better than youAmok is clearly better than youAmok is clearly better than youAmok is clearly better than youAmok is clearly better than youAmok is clearly better than you

Who are you suggesting this to?

Amok has 7,707 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 07-04-2008

United States Alexander
Pew Pew
 Alexander simply pwnsAlexander simply pwnsAlexander simply pwnsAlexander simply pwnsAlexander simply pwnsAlexander simply pwnsAlexander simply pwnsAlexander simply pwnsAlexander simply pwnsAlexander simply pwnsAlexander simply pwns

The abilities of this class are cool, but I wonder how useful some of them would be in a hack n slash environment like Diablo. Stuff like "roll with the punch," while a cool idea, would be hard to use effectively. I like the idea of choosing from close combat or ranged attacks though.

Alexander has 1,497 Posts

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to Alexander  

Old 07-04-2008

Canada Bred
Ich Bin Brot
 Bred did it for teh lulzBred did it for teh lulzBred did it for teh lulzBred did it for teh lulzBred did it for teh lulzBred did it for teh lulzBred did it for teh lulzBred did it for teh lulzBred did it for teh lulzBred did it for teh lulzBred did it for teh lulz

I don't care if the class isn't implemented, but monkey fist HAS TO BE IN THE GAME.

It's neat, although I expect a Ranger class to be present in some way shape or form in D3, I think that it will more closely resemble a cross between a zon and an assassin then the seemingly "new" class that you posted. Good work though.

Bred has 8,696 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 07-04-2008

BlizzForums Neo
Boo!
 Neo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulz

I'd prefer they keep ranged-style wow-like classes out of D3.

While in WoW the whole "ranged until they get in melee range" sort of worked, in D3 I want to be able to shoot my arrow at an enemy even if he's right there in front of me.

As for the ranged class in D3, It's going to be sad since it would be difficult for them to include the Amazon again (Multishot, Strafe, Lightning Fury?) because you can't really have a male amazon (lol?) ...

Anyway, point being that ranged classes need to have bows, crossbows, and javelins. Forcing them to be within melee-range, or to have equipped melee weapons just isn't right.

Though who knows maybe they'll screw with amazon lore or something. rofl.

Anyway, interesting idea over all, but there are to many WoW-Like stuff. Stealth? Required Melee-Weapon equipment? =/

D3 isn't wow! ><!

For all we know they might actually completely remove the purely ranged "bow-user" class from D3 and simply do a ranger-like hybrid that could use either bows or swords or something.

-Neo

Neo has 10,110 Posts

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to Neo Send a message via MSN to Neo Send a message via Yahoo to Neo 

Old 07-04-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander View Post
The abilities of this class are cool, but I wonder how useful some of them would be in a hack n slash environment like Diablo. Stuff like "roll with the punch," while a cool idea, would be hard to use effectively. I like the idea of choosing from close combat or ranged attacks though.
The point for 'roll with the punch' was because I figured as a primarily ranged combatant, it would be beneficial for the Ranger to have an 'escape' ability since as seen in the gameplay trailer, it's quite possible for the player to get surrounded. And I couldn't simply go with a jumping ability since this would be really similar to the Barbarian's Leap. The major weakness I see with 'roll with the the punch' is that you can't really control where you'll land.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo View Post
I'd prefer they keep ranged-style wow-like classes out of D3.

While in WoW the whole "ranged until they get in melee range" sort of worked, in D3 I want to be able to shoot my arrow at an enemy even if he's right there in front of me.
Well, I just thought it would be an interesting challenge to have players switch their weapons midway through battle. The general idea is that the Rangers are the best ranged weapon users, with fairly high DPS but when equipped with the right melee weapons, are able to do even higher DPS. However, the reason why they don't simply use melee all the time is because they lack the strength, vitality and armor to survive for long at close range. Hence, they need to use their range and traps to soften up the hordes so that all they have to face up close are the weakened survivors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo View Post
Anyway, interesting idea over all, but there are to many WoW-Like stuff. Stealth? Required Melee-Weapon equipment? =/
But so did the Assassin

In truth, my Ranger idea is sort of a very vague marriage between the Amazon and Assassin with my own stuff thrown in the mix.

pm.gif   

Old 07-04-2008

United States Chaos
Eddie Harris
 Chaos should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshChaos should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshChaos should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshChaos should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshChaos should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshChaos should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshChaos should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshChaos should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshChaos should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshChaos should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshChaos should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, gosh

I hope they bring back the Rogue from D1.

Chaos has 28,439 Posts

WELL THEY CALL ME MIKE D THE EVER LOVING MAN
IM LIKE SPOONIE GEE WELL IM THE METROPOLITICIAN
YOU SCREAM AND YOU HOLLER
BOUT MY CHEVY IMPALA
BUT THE SWEAT IS GETTIN WET AROUND THE RING AROUND YOUR COLLAR

pm.gif   

Old 07-05-2008

BlizzForums Neo
Boo!
 Neo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulzNeo did it for teh lulz

Pfft the Assassin's main weapons WERE melee ones though.

-Neo

Neo has 10,110 Posts

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to Neo Send a message via MSN to Neo Send a message via Yahoo to Neo 

Old 07-05-2008

United States oniwabanshu
Terran Enforcer
 oniwabanshu is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander View Post
I had the feeling that he was implying that "roll with the punch" would be an instant with some sort of percentage in order to happen. I think that would make the most sense right?

oniwabanshu has 7 Posts

Strength, Pride, Discipline

Terran conquers all.

pm.gif   

Old 07-05-2008

Macedonia SlickR
BF Member
 SlickR is a god among mere mortalsSlickR is a god among mere mortalsSlickR is a god among mere mortalsSlickR is a god among mere mortalsSlickR is a god among mere mortalsSlickR is a god among mere mortalsSlickR is a god among mere mortalsSlickR is a god among mere mortalsSlickR is a god among mere mortalsSlickR is a god among mere mortalsSlickR is a god among mere mortals

You've obviously spend some time on this idea so I'll give you that, but the ranger class doesen't seem too good to me. For example stealth, that is not something for diablo games, also far sight seems pretty lame to me, poison dart very lame, lightning strike is also pretty generic spell.
The other spells are pretty good but overall it doesn't seem fun and BTW where are the starting stats?

SlickR has 1,059 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 07-05-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickR View Post
You've obviously spend some time on this idea so I'll give you that, but the ranger class doesen't seem too good to me. For example stealth, that is not something for diablo games, also far sight seems pretty lame to me, poison dart very lame, lightning strike is also pretty generic spell.
The other spells are pretty good but overall it doesn't seem fun and BTW where are the starting stats?
You may be right but certain abilities were added as necessities in order for the character to survive the way D3's gameplay works. For instance, Poison Dart would likely be the first skill taken by Level 1 Rangers planning to focus on ranged abilities as it is integral for survival. This is because it's doubtful that you'd start with a bow and the Ranger is meant to be fragile. So, you'd need something to weaken enemies before they actually reach you. The same goes for Lightning Strikes and Rangers specializing in close combat since as it currently stands, the Ranger lacks abilities which can kill many enemies once surrounded (s/he mainly deals on a one-to-one basis).

Now, onto some clarifications:

Far Sight - The way I envisioned it, it works as an active ability. Clicking in a particular direction relative to the character causes the camera to slowly move in that direction. That way, the Ranger can see beyond the limits of the computer screen. The higher the level, the further away s/he can see. This is useful in some of the Ranger's strategies (see below).

Cloak - It isn't as easy to use as one might think since being close to a fire reveals the Ranger. This can become really tricky in narrow dungeon corridors, which tend to have plenty of torches.

Roll with the Punch - Actually, I meant it as an ability which you can activate whereupon the next hit the Ranger receives sends her/him flying away from the hitter. This helps the Ranger have an escape ability should s/he get surrounded by too many enemies (necessary since the Ranger is supposed to be fragile).

Now, for some strategies (the Ranger will be referred to as male for easiness):

Once the Ranger clears a screen, he uses Far Sight to scout ahead and determine the enemies ahead (not always useful since enemies can sometimes appear a la the bridge in the trailer). This helps the player decide how to deal with the opponents, depending on the enemy type (are they casters, ranged, melee, etc) and terrain (is there a choke point, open field, etc).

If there's a choke point leading to the next area and the monsters are mainly melee, the Ranger can set up Snares before approaching the next area. Once there, the Ranger can lure them back to the previous screen area. As a result, the first few will be caught in the Snare (thus becoming immobilized) and prevent other monsters from passing, allowing the Ranger to kill them at his leisure but being careful not to kill the snared monsters.

Should it be open ground with lots of monsters, the Ranger can instead Cloak before entering the area. Once there, he plants Sylvan Cocktails around him (careful not to put them too close to him or he'd be roasted too) with perhaps one further away. All this must be done quickly before the Cloak effect wears off. Once in position, surrounding himself with either Snares or Sylvan Cocktails, the Ranger can fire a Distraction Shot to lure some monsters away. This would cause the Cloak effect to deactivate and thus the unaffected monsters will start to attack the Ranger. If surrounded, the Ranger might employ Monkey Fist for some swarm control or even Roll with the Punch if overwhelmed.

Once the screen area is cleared, repeat. The fun comes from the player's creativity in combining the abilities.

Last edited by mr. peasant; 07-05-2008 at 03:10 AM.

pm.gif   

Old 07-05-2008

United States Alexander
Pew Pew
 Alexander simply pwnsAlexander simply pwnsAlexander simply pwnsAlexander simply pwnsAlexander simply pwnsAlexander simply pwnsAlexander simply pwnsAlexander simply pwnsAlexander simply pwnsAlexander simply pwnsAlexander simply pwns

I guess roll with the punch could be useful if you get surrounded. For some reason I was only envisioning one scene in my head where the ranger was already on one side of the fight. Overall I still kind of feel that the ranger is a great character that would be suited to a slightly more tactical game than Diablo. Of course playing the class could be REALLY fun if he had very low armor and depended on the crowd control for his life while doing lots of damage. Then it would be like really high stakes and every second would count. It would be like a race to micro your abilities and trap a horde of monsters in some way to keep them away from you.

Alexander has 1,497 Posts

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to Alexander  

Old 07-05-2008

United States JSMaTT
Power Abused
 JSMaTT is clearly better than youJSMaTT is clearly better than youJSMaTT is clearly better than youJSMaTT is clearly better than youJSMaTT is clearly better than youJSMaTT is clearly better than youJSMaTT is clearly better than youJSMaTT is clearly better than youJSMaTT is clearly better than youJSMaTT is clearly better than youJSMaTT is clearly better than you

I honestly hope they bring back the amazon. She was perfect for the most part.

You could spec her to be the melee with incredible agility

or you could use your skills to make her rain hell from a distance.

JSMaTT has 1,951 Posts

pm.gif  Send a message via MSN to JSMaTT  

Old 07-05-2008

BlizzForums Neo
Boo!

male amazon doesn't work.

sadness.

-Neo

Neo has 10,110 Posts