Warcraft Legacy Starcraft Legacy BlizzForums
The Future?

Go Back   BlizzForums > Games > StarCraft Discussion

StarCraft Discussion StarCraft & Brood War lie herein.

Old 08-08-2007

United States areese87
BF Member
 areese87 is made of winareese87 is made of winareese87 is made of winareese87 is made of winareese87 is made of winareese87 is made of winareese87 is made of winareese87 is made of winareese87 is made of winareese87 is made of winareese87 is made of win
Default Why does everyone hate the Cobra?

Now I understand, as far as aesthetics are concerned, the cobra aint pretty. Sure it's clunky, but its functionality is perfect!! I mean, vultures, despite spider mines, were miserable units that were fantastic at dying. truly fantastic.

But the cobra's sheer speed actually comes in handy because they can attack while moving. I mean, quick mobile artillery is a staple in the military in order to back up the heavy artillery (i.e. siege tanks, thor, vikings to some degree- though i group the ground form pretty much with mechanized infantry). And we all saw it run laps around the thor, but i think as a support unit or even a raider, it's fantastic.

Now someone else shared an idea of mine, with a unit acting as a mobile bunker of sorts, and I think an excellent improvement for the cobra would be an ability for a marine to mount atop it and deal extra gauss rifle damage. There would be "who gets what in terms of damage" problems but it seems very terranesque. I mean, marines should always adapt. Versatility, indeed.

areese87 has 1,702 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 08-08-2007

United States Rizhall
moo
 Rizhall is unstoppable!Rizhall is unstoppable!Rizhall is unstoppable!Rizhall is unstoppable!Rizhall is unstoppable!Rizhall is unstoppable!Rizhall is unstoppable!Rizhall is unstoppable!Rizhall is unstoppable!Rizhall is unstoppable!Rizhall is unstoppable!
Default Re: Why does everyone hate the Cobra?

i agree, i think the cobra is an awesome unit, just needs a little tuning and a better look. but the ability to mount a marine would be pretty nice too.

Rizhall has 54 Posts

They call me HADOOOUUUUKEN, cause I'm down-right fierce.

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to Rizhall Send a message via MSN to Rizhall  

Old 08-08-2007

Canada Skiddle
BF Member
 Skiddle doesn't suck

I think a jeep (that drove the same) in which a pair of infantry units could shoot out of would be cool, like a mobile bunker... it could still be called "Cobra" too. Have about 120 HP, 1 armor. I mean, you see Jeeps in cinematics, why not in-game?

Skiddle has 100 Posts

Um, yeah, a signature.

pm.gif   

Old 08-08-2007

Australia akast
BF Member
 akast is made of winakast is made of winakast is made of winakast is made of winakast is made of winakast is made of winakast is made of winakast is made of winakast is made of winakast is made of winakast is made of win

Agreed. Concept is awesome. Though it would probably need to move a bit faster. A micro expert can really put the cobra to deadly use. This would be really interesting to watch in pro games .

akast has 398 Posts

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\My Pictures\1217414341_3f896663f1_o.jpg
Whiner's next Signature: Starcraft 2 is not Starcraft! It needs to go!

pm.gif   

Old 08-08-2007

United States milesj
www.sc2armory.com
 milesj has much to be proud ofmilesj has much to be proud ofmilesj has much to be proud ofmilesj has much to be proud ofmilesj has much to be proud ofmilesj has much to be proud ofmilesj has much to be proud ofmilesj has much to be proud of

Cobra also deals +25 damage to armored units, it will tear up any vehicle you send at it.

Full Zerg Unit and Building database
Gameplay Guide / Media / Voting

pm.gif   

Old 08-08-2007

Nepal viperjo
Lovable Local Blood God
 viperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshviperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshviperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshviperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshviperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshviperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshviperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshviperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshviperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshviperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshviperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, gosh

Hopefully it will have a speed upgrade option like the vulture. The cobra isnt going to win any beauty pageants thats for sure, but it is a solid idea. I would love to see these things used by someone with mad micro skills.

viperjo has 5,125 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 08-08-2007

Canada Meteora
Sniper in the mist
 Meteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supremeMeteora reigns supreme

The Cobra does not impress me just because there isn't anything 'special' and 'unique' for the unit, save the ability to attack while moving at an average hover speed. The model itself looks chunky, boring and dull. For its name, I don't know if it suits the theme of the unit very well. But we did see the Cobra circling around the Thor as if it was strangling it like a snake would very well do their preys as a predator.

That and I'm completely biased into Jeep-like vehicles rather than hover tanks.

Meteora has 12,746 Posts

: : : : [StarCraft 2 Forums Veteran] : : : : [Call of Duty 4 Hardcore Player] : : : : [Proud To Be Canadian] : : : :

pm.gif  Send a message via MSN to Meteora  

Old 08-08-2007

United States Zergums
Eating a Raw Dripping Ham
 Zergums simply pwnsZergums simply pwnsZergums simply pwnsZergums simply pwnsZergums simply pwnsZergums simply pwnsZergums simply pwnsZergums simply pwnsZergums simply pwnsZergums simply pwnsZergums simply pwns

1. Jeeps with marines in it ftw
2. Idk it may require insane micro, but I like the concept a lot

Zergums has 1,504 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 08-08-2007

United States milesj
www.sc2armory.com
 milesj has much to be proud ofmilesj has much to be proud ofmilesj has much to be proud ofmilesj has much to be proud ofmilesj has much to be proud ofmilesj has much to be proud ofmilesj has much to be proud ofmilesj has much to be proud of

Cobras specialty is taking down mechanical units.

pm.gif   

Old 08-08-2007

United States Zergums
Eating a Raw Dripping Ham
 Zergums simply pwnsZergums simply pwnsZergums simply pwnsZergums simply pwnsZergums simply pwnsZergums simply pwnsZergums simply pwnsZergums simply pwnsZergums simply pwnsZergums simply pwnsZergums simply pwns

terrans are red-necks, they need jeeps with mounted bazookas

Zergums has 1,504 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 08-08-2007

Philippine Don
EcE
 Don has become enlightenedDon has become enlightenedDon has become enlightenedDon has become enlightenedDon has become enlightenedDon has become enlightenedDon has become enlightenedDon has become enlightenedDon has become enlightenedDon has become enlightenedDon has become enlightened

Agreed, the mechanics of the Cobra suit the Terrans very well.

But a mobile bunker/jeep for the Terrans is much more awesome.

Wheels > Hover

Don has 325 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 08-08-2007

Canada ilovejonn
BF Member
 ilovejonn doesn't suck

Wow, you guys are gonna cry when Blizzard takes out the Cobra and REALLY adds a jeep in there.

You know, since they listen to comments and all. *shrugs*

ilovejonn has 33 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 08-08-2007

Philippine Don
EcE
 Don has become enlightenedDon has become enlightenedDon has become enlightenedDon has become enlightenedDon has become enlightenedDon has become enlightenedDon has become enlightenedDon has become enlightenedDon has become enlightenedDon has become enlightenedDon has become enlightened

Not if it looks like that!! They are called Stingers but calling them Cobras would be so kickass!

Last edited by Don; 08-08-2007 at 03:10 AM.
Don has 325 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 08-08-2007

United States milesj
www.sc2armory.com

The point of the cobra is its rail guns pierce armor, a jeep with a machine gun wouldnt.

pm.gif   

Old 08-08-2007

Canada Carsickness
Stop the car!
 Carsickness simply pwnsCarsickness simply pwnsCarsickness simply pwnsCarsickness simply pwnsCarsickness simply pwnsCarsickness simply pwnsCarsickness simply pwnsCarsickness simply pwnsCarsickness simply pwnsCarsickness simply pwnsCarsickness simply pwns

There's High orbit Battlecruisers, transforming walkers, giant walking mechainical artillery, and you want to throw in a jeep? Lol, it'll last 2 seconds, if that.

Who needs jeeps when there are drop pods anyways?

As for the Cobra. I think it's a pretty cool unit actually. It just needs a lil' spice.
My idea for it would be to remove the ability to use it's cannons to shoot at air and to throw a flak cannon on it. This would give it an AOE attack to air units, which Terran seems to be lacking at the moment.

Carsickness has 1,332 Posts

Thanks Meteora for customizing my avatar and signature, +reps for life

pm.gif