Warcraft Legacy Starcraft Legacy BlizzForums
The Future?

Go Back   BlizzForums > General Forums > Chit Chat

Chit Chat Your Life, Your Thoughts, Your Nonsense.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes


Old 01-28-2009
 
#46
Canada pureWasted
Temporary Generic Title
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,438
 pureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to all
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Quixote View Post
If anything, he was "taking the world for granted" before this happened to him, not because of it happening.
You'd be totally right if I hadn't just responded to that exact same point from Ace.

He might arrive at the conclusion through (..dubious..) logic, but it's where the journey would take him from there that's questionable. Sure, not all religious folk are Bible-thumpers. My parents are religious and you'd never know it if you didn't ask them.

But you turn that road, you're closing doors that could otherwise remain open and present you with questions. "Why did this happen? How did this happen?" Those questions won't come up if you already have a knee-jerk reaction "God did it," ready to explain anything away.

It's not just about religion, it's about a way of life.
 
pureWasted has 2,438 Posts

My TV Blog

My DeviantArt

We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.
 

pureWasted is offline


pm.gif   
Reply With Quote


Old 01-28-2009
 
#47
Chile Demon
Subhuman Spacewaster
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 2,386
 Demon did it for teh lulzDemon did it for teh lulzDemon did it for teh lulzDemon did it for teh lulzDemon did it for teh lulzDemon did it for teh lulzDemon did it for teh lulzDemon did it for teh lulzDemon did it for teh lulzDemon did it for teh lulzDemon did it for teh lulz
Default

dude found an excuse to stop beleiving now he found another to beleive again, sounds like a very influentiable(is that a word) person to me.

dude was very lucky..God knows if God did it I like to think God has a lot of fun with this kind of crap

"HAHA you silly mortal you almost shit your pants!"
 
Demon has 2,386 Posts

NARGLES!!

Sanity is for the weak!
 

Demon is offline


pm.gif   
Reply With Quote


Old 01-28-2009
 
#48
United States Golgo 13
ಠ_ಠ
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 10,560
 Golgo 13 might just love this place a little bit too muchGolgo 13 might just love this place a little bit too muchGolgo 13 might just love this place a little bit too muchGolgo 13 might just love this place a little bit too muchGolgo 13 might just love this place a little bit too muchGolgo 13 might just love this place a little bit too muchGolgo 13 might just love this place a little bit too muchGolgo 13 might just love this place a little bit too muchGolgo 13 might just love this place a little bit too muchGolgo 13 might just love this place a little bit too muchGolgo 13 might just love this place a little bit too much
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace View Post
Hey man if he wants to believe it's God let him. It doesn't harm anyone.
It's all fine and well if someone wants to believe in a God, but taking anecdotes as proof of some higher power is going about it the wrong way.
 
Golgo 13 has 10,560 Posts

"The modern banking system manufactures money out of nothing. The process is perhaps the most astounding piece of sleight-of-hand that was ever invented. Banking was conceived in inequity and born in sin. But if you want to continue to be slaves of the bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, then let the bankers continue to create money and control credit."

- Josiah Charles, President of the Bank of England & 2nd richest man in Great Britain (1880-1941)
 

Golgo 13 is offline


pm.gif   
Reply With Quote


Old 01-28-2009
 
#49
Canada Ace
Music is my Catharsis
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 14,405
 Ace could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!Ace could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!Ace could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!Ace could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!Ace could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!Ace could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!Ace could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!Ace could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!Ace could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!Ace could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!Ace could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!
Default

yeah but Golgo it's alreay been said that it wasn't anecdotal what happened, it was empirical, he was there so he is the best judge as to what happened and how he wants to interpret it is up to him.
 
Ace has 14,405 Posts

 

Ace is offline


pm.gif  Send a message via MSN to Ace  
Reply With Quote


Old 01-28-2009
 
#50
United States Golgo 13
ಠ_ಠ
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 10,560
 Golgo 13 might just love this place a little bit too muchGolgo 13 might just love this place a little bit too muchGolgo 13 might just love this place a little bit too muchGolgo 13 might just love this place a little bit too muchGolgo 13 might just love this place a little bit too muchGolgo 13 might just love this place a little bit too muchGolgo 13 might just love this place a little bit too muchGolgo 13 might just love this place a little bit too muchGolgo 13 might just love this place a little bit too muchGolgo 13 might just love this place a little bit too muchGolgo 13 might just love this place a little bit too much
Default

We don't have to invoke any mysticism to explain why the boar sneezed from the same dust that agitated his brother. That's what fine particles in the air do. A boar being in tall grass is entirely unremarkable and completely within the scope of what one would expect as well.

Don't you think if there was some super power that is content to let little children be bombed in this same Iraq campaign as well as for kids to starve to death the world over and he didn't want his brother being killed by the enemy that he would have prevented the sneeze from ever happening to begin with?
 
Golgo 13 has 10,560 Posts

"The modern banking system manufactures money out of nothing. The process is perhaps the most astounding piece of sleight-of-hand that was ever invented. Banking was conceived in inequity and born in sin. But if you want to continue to be slaves of the bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, then let the bankers continue to create money and control credit."

- Josiah Charles, President of the Bank of England & 2nd richest man in Great Britain (1880-1941)
 

Golgo 13 is offline


pm.gif   
Reply With Quote


Old 01-28-2009
 
#51
Canada pureWasted
Temporary Generic Title
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,438
 pureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to all
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace View Post
yeah but Golgo it's alreay been said that it wasn't anecdotal what happened, it was empirical, he was there so he is the best judge as to what happened and how he wants to interpret it is up to him.
You sure you understand what anecdotal means? Cause anecdotal and empirical are not mutually-exclusive. In fact, unless you've made it your point to conduct a fair study, chances are the two are going to go together more often than not.

That's exactly what happened with the boar. It's empirical, because he based it on evidence he found, but it's also anecdotal, because the evidence he found is contained to a single memorable experience (and ignores all negative, unlucky ones [where was God then?]). It's akin to saying "I bought one lottery ticket and I won $500, therefore lotteries are a good source of income." You're basing your belief on a single case, and it's very likely that other peoples' experience -- and your own, in the future -- will be quite different, casting doubt on the initial theory.
 
pureWasted has 2,438 Posts

My TV Blog

My DeviantArt

We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.
 

pureWasted is offline


pm.gif   
Reply With Quote


Old 01-28-2009
 
#52
United States GenocideAlive
You Want My Shoes?
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,277
 GenocideAlive would like to thank all of the little people...GenocideAlive would like to thank all of the little people...GenocideAlive would like to thank all of the little people...GenocideAlive would like to thank all of the little people...GenocideAlive would like to thank all of the little people...GenocideAlive would like to thank all of the little people...GenocideAlive would like to thank all of the little people...GenocideAlive would like to thank all of the little people...GenocideAlive would like to thank all of the little people...GenocideAlive would like to thank all of the little people...GenocideAlive would like to thank all of the little people...
Default

jesus i thought i argued over dumb shit

thanks guys, you definitely made me feel better
 
GenocideAlive has 2,277 Posts
 

GenocideAlive is offline


pm.gif   
Reply With Quote


Old 01-28-2009
 
#53
United States Mike
Two Letters, No Regrets
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 937
 Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...
Default

ACHOO!
 
Mike has 937 Posts

Progress, man's distinctive mark alone,
not God's, and not the beast's,
God is, they are,
Man partly is and wholly hopes to be.
 

Mike is offline


pm.gif   
Reply With Quote


Old 01-28-2009
 
#54
Canada Ace
Music is my Catharsis
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 14,405
 Ace could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!Ace could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!Ace could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!Ace could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!Ace could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!Ace could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!Ace could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!Ace could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!Ace could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!Ace could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!Ace could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!
Default

Quote:
You sure you understand what anecdotal means? Cause anecdotal and empirical are not mutually-exclusive. In fact, unless you've made it your point to conduct a fair study, chances are the two are going to go together more often than not.

That's exactly what happened with the boar. It's empirical, because he based it on evidence he found, but it's also anecdotal, because the evidence he found is contained to a single memorable experience (and ignores all negative, unlucky ones [where was God then?]). It's akin to saying "I bought one lottery ticket and I won $500, therefore lotteries are a good source of income." You're basing your belief on a single case, and it's very likely that other peoples' experience -- and your own, in the future -- will be quite different, casting doubt on the initial theory.
you know i read this 3 times straight and i still have no idea what your point is
 
Ace has 14,405 Posts

 

Ace is offline


pm.gif  Send a message via MSN to Ace  
Reply With Quote


Old 01-28-2009
 
#55
Canada pureWasted
Temporary Generic Title
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,438
 pureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to all
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace View Post
you know i read this 3 times straight and i still have no idea what your point is
The fact that you've got no idea what you're talking about.

Throwing around big words is nice. The next step is knowing what they mean.
 
pureWasted has 2,438 Posts

My TV Blog

My DeviantArt

We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.
 

pureWasted is offline


pm.gif   
Reply With Quote


Old 01-28-2009
 
#56
United States Santrega
The one and only
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 737
 Santrega is made of winSantrega is made of winSantrega is made of winSantrega is made of winSantrega is made of winSantrega is made of winSantrega is made of winSantrega is made of winSantrega is made of winSantrega is made of winSantrega is made of win
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golgo 13 View Post
We don't have to invoke any mysticism to explain why the boar sneezed from the same dust that agitated his brother. That's what fine particles in the air do. A boar being in tall grass is entirely unremarkable and completely within the scope of what one would expect as well.

Don't you think if there was some super power that is content to let little children be bombed in this same Iraq campaign as well as for kids to starve to death the world over and he didn't want his brother being killed by the enemy that he would have prevented the sneeze from ever happening to begin with?
1) Please give a scientific explanation as to why a wild boar happened to be there at the exact point in which his friend sneezed, and happened to start sneezing at the exact point his friend sneezed?

2) Wouldn't the wild boar have reacted in some way if he heard the friend sneeze?

You have disregarded an explanation that it was God, based on your preset judgement on whether God exists or not, without any facts yourself of the contrary. Who is the one "closing doors" on possibilities?

You weren't actually there, yet you are adamant it was not God. I think its clear who is the one closing doors... It certainly is not a believer in God... I don't have a problem with non-believers, I have a problem with people who are SURE God does not exist. And here is why:

A believer - This person chooses to have faith that God exists, knowing its possible he does not. However, if he chooses to believe this, he has to defend God's existence, and cannot deny it. He has to believe unwaveringly because of the religion he chose. He actually has a reason for fighting for it, because if he believes its more likely God exists, he believes in the rewards for faith.

An Athiest - This person chooses to have faith that god does not exist, for no reason at all. This person supposedly isn't in a religion, however, he/she fights to the death to prove God does not exist. He/She fights even though there is no rules to follow as an athiest, and no reward after death for being an athiest, not even a make believe reward.

The strict belief God does not exist is a religion. Agnostics are the only ones who can be considered not to be a religion, because they actually choose not to believe one or the other, and accept both as a possibility. I believe in God, However, I have accepted the possibility I could be wrong, and when I die, my life simply ends. If i'm right, I get rewarded, if I'm wrong I don't even know it...

Sounds like a Win/Win situation to me. You have to admit that its more logical of a choice than risking you are wrong for no reason at all, and no benefit at all to yourself.
 
Santrega has 737 Posts

I require additional reputation.
 

Santrega is offline


pm.gif   
Reply With Quote


Old 01-28-2009
 
#57
Antarctica Doombringer64v3.0
Legend
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 11,412
 Doombringer64v3.0 could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!Doombringer64v3.0 could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!Doombringer64v3.0 could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!Doombringer64v3.0 could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!Doombringer64v3.0 could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!Doombringer64v3.0 could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!Doombringer64v3.0 could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!Doombringer64v3.0 could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!Doombringer64v3.0 could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!Doombringer64v3.0 could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!Doombringer64v3.0 could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santrega View Post

You have disregarded an explanation that it was God, based on your preset judgement on whether God exists or not, without any facts yourself of the contrary. Who is the one "closing doors" on possibilities?
No he hasn't. He has merely casually pointed out that god is not a required explanation.



Quote:
An Athiest - This person chooses to have faith that god does not exist, for no reason at all. This person supposedly isn't in a religion, however, he/she fights to the death to prove God does not exist. He/She fights even though there is no rules to follow as an athiest, and no reward after death for being an athiest, not even a make believe reward.
Making up definitions to suit your piss poor argument doesn't make you look intelligent. It makes you look like a lazy fucking idiot.
 
Doombringer64v3.0 has 11,412 Posts


Killer Idea
Doombringer64 hates his wife.
 

Doombringer64v3.0 is offline


pm.gif   
Reply With Quote


Old 01-28-2009
 
#58
United States GenocideAlive
You Want My Shoes?
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,277
 GenocideAlive would like to thank all of the little people...GenocideAlive would like to thank all of the little people...GenocideAlive would like to thank all of the little people...GenocideAlive would like to thank all of the little people...GenocideAlive would like to thank all of the little people...GenocideAlive would like to thank all of the little people...GenocideAlive would like to thank all of the little people...GenocideAlive would like to thank all of the little people...GenocideAlive would like to thank all of the little people...GenocideAlive would like to thank all of the little people...GenocideAlive would like to thank all of the little people...
Default

wow someone read pascal's wager and thinks it's really clever

unfortunately he doesn't seem to realize that every mythos has a reward/punishment scenario, and the punishment is typically meted out to everyone that doesn't believe

thus it's best to thine own self be true than to pretend to be some pious dick just for milk and honey land
 
GenocideAlive has 2,277 Posts
 

GenocideAlive is offline


pm.gif   
Reply With Quote


Old 01-28-2009
 
#59
United States Santrega
The one and only
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 737
 Santrega is made of winSantrega is made of winSantrega is made of winSantrega is made of winSantrega is made of winSantrega is made of winSantrega is made of winSantrega is made of winSantrega is made of winSantrega is made of winSantrega is made of win
Default



Prove it wrong.
 
Santrega has 737 Posts

I require additional reputation.
 

Santrega is offline


pm.gif   
Reply With Quote


Old 01-28-2009
 
#60
Antarctica Doombringer64v3.0
Legend
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 11,412
 Doombringer64v3.0 could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!Doombringer64v3.0 could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!Doombringer64v3.0 could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!Doombringer64v3.0 could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!Doombringer64v3.0 could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!Doombringer64v3.0 could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!Doombringer64v3.0 could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!Doombringer64v3.0 could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!Doombringer64v3.0 could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!Doombringer64v3.0 could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!Doombringer64v3.0 could seriously be the president one day, maybe even a senator... so be afraid, be very afraid!
Default

.
Ugh, clearly video embedding was a bad idea.

Hey, listen I'm not watching another one of this little prick's rants. If you have an argument try typing it out yourself. Or have your fingers gotten so fucking fat and encrusted with nacho cheese they can't properly use a keyboard?
 
Doombringer64v3.0 has 11,412 Posts


Killer Idea
Doombringer64 hates his wife.
 

Doombringer64v3.0 is offline


pm.gif   
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
God and the Nation areese87 Serious Discussion 67 12-09-2008 04:55 PM
What are the Fundamentals of Islam GnaReffotsirk Chit Chat 108 12-07-2008 11:47 PM
Israel is jew town Bob Chit Chat 76 12-04-2008 12:09 PM
For those who aren't yet scared of the potential of Big Brother Pizza Serious Discussion 48 11-12-2008 02:02 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:17 AM.
Designed by XG3