Warcraft Legacy Starcraft Legacy BlizzForums
The Future?

Go Back   BlizzForums > General Forums > Chit Chat

Chit Chat Your Life, Your Thoughts, Your Nonsense.

Old 02-27-2007

United States Mike
Two Letters, No Regrets
 Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...
Default The Crackdown

Hmmm.

Let's be frank here, this isn't a gaming revolution. It doesn't really bring any new ideas to the field. It doesn't create something that will be on a hall of fame rack somewhere. It doesn't blow the gamer away or leave him breathless.

Nevertheless, buy this game if you own a 360.

Not only do you get a coveted Halo 3 Beta spot, but you also get a solid, enjoyable, and downright entertaining game.

The story is simple, gangs are ruling the city, so the frustrated law enforcement turns to a final solution, a series of super agents that can grow beyond normal human capabilities, of which you are the first prototype. You are turned loose to hone your skills and kill 21 gang underbosses and kingpins that make up the leadership of the three syndicates you are tasked with taking down.

Simple, easy to engage with, and a recipe for some delicious fun.

The graphics are nothing special. They do utilize the 360 hardware to make some fun effects, mostly explosions, but most of the graphics do, admittedly, look like they belong on a XBOX or PS2. However, unlike so many other games that depend and bank on their graphical prowess, playing Crackdown, which is highly unapologetic about its graphical mediocrity, is highly refreshing.

The gameplay is immensely satisfying. Throwing a bit of RPG in with 3rd person shooter, you advance your agent's skills by performing various actions or killing gangbangers in specific ways, all which earn you one of 5 different kinds of experience, which advance your core skills. These skills are Athletics, which controls your running speed and jump height, Strength, which controls your stamina, lift weight, and melee damage, Explosives, which control the blast radius and damage of your grenades and explosive firearms, Firearms, which aid your aiming and use of... firearms, and Driving, which controls your speed, handling, and allows you to handle advanced forms of special agency vehicles.

The difficulties provide a decent challenge, and the vast arsenal of weapons provide a variety of options for dealing with gang members.

So many games reach for high acclaim and fall miserably short. Crackdown does exactly what it sets out to do, provide a solid and entertaining experience that is worth the 60 dollar price tag.

Mike has 937 Posts

Progress, man's distinctive mark alone,
not God's, and not the beast's,
God is, they are,
Man partly is and wholly hopes to be.

pm.gif   

Old 03-03-2007

United States iAmCole
BF Member
 iAmCole is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The Crackdown

So my cousin rented this game for the Halo 3 beta. Well it just told him to try again at a later time.

So they start playing the game. For the first hour were thinking "We the developers trying to make a decent game?" and "They must have just thought, "We'll make nuff money by selling it with Halo 3 beta"".

Later on that night and 100 agility orbs later... it was fun. I mean I thought at first you could jump a little to high. But 100/500 agility orbs allows you to jump tremendously high.

Plus you can curb stomp peoples face.

Weird game. Really weird game. None the less fun and somewhat addicting. Although the driving is HORRIBLE. Did they even drive a car in the game before releasing it?

pm.gif   

Old 03-04-2007

United States Mike
Two Letters, No Regrets
 Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...Mike must really think internet = serious business...

Once you get your driving up to 4 stars, it handles much better.

Mike has 937 Posts

God is, they are,

pm.gif   

Old 03-04-2007

United States SC Veteran
Respect my Authority!!
 SC Veteran has a brilliant futureSC Veteran has a brilliant futureSC Veteran has a brilliant futureSC Veteran has a brilliant futureSC Veteran has a brilliant futureSC Veteran has a brilliant futureSC Veteran has a brilliant futureSC Veteran has a brilliant futureSC Veteran has a brilliant futureSC Veteran has a brilliant futureSC Veteran has a brilliant future

Yea I own a 360 and I plan on buying the game, for the Halo 3 thing and I like GTA based games. Like you say its nothing ground breaking (GTA San Andreas on the other hand was ground breaking) but I bet its still fun and the super human abilities should make it interesting. Just like Saints Row I had fun with it and I would play it again, but nothing like GTA.

I am glad to hear the next GTA will be an 360 game, next to Halo 3 I want that game as much.

SC Veteran has 121 Posts

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to SC Veteran  

Old 03-06-2007

Canada Thus
is one happy dude
 Thus might just love this place a little bit too muchThus might just love this place a little bit too muchThus might just love this place a little bit too muchThus might just love this place a little bit too muchThus might just love this place a little bit too muchThus might just love this place a little bit too muchThus might just love this place a little bit too muchThus might just love this place a little bit too muchThus might just love this place a little bit too muchThus might just love this place a little bit too muchThus might just love this place a little bit too much

APB looks fucking awesome!

Thus has 4,256 Posts

"These days I realize that the more you insult other people, the more you're really insulting your own integrity."
-Luther Shark
Wisdom + Kindness

pm.gif  Send a message via MSN to Thus  

Old 03-06-2007

United States SC Veteran
Respect my Authority!!
 SC Veteran has a brilliant futureSC Veteran has a brilliant futureSC Veteran has a brilliant futureSC Veteran has a brilliant futureSC Veteran has a brilliant futureSC Veteran has a brilliant futureSC Veteran has a brilliant futureSC Veteran has a brilliant futureSC Veteran has a brilliant futureSC Veteran has a brilliant futureSC Veteran has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timae View Post
APB looks fucking awesome!
Damn that looks sweet.

SC Veteran has 121 Posts

Old 03-06-2007

United States Mike
Two Letters, No Regrets

I find this much more entertaining than GTA because it doesn't have those wacky missions tacked on just to pad out the game.

Instead of being given dozens upon dozens of somethings farcical objectives to carry out, I'm given my one mission, kill all 21 bosses, and give a variety of tools to do it, then encouraged to play it my own way with my own style.

Mike has 937 Posts

God is, they are,

pm.gif   

Old 03-07-2007

United States SC Veteran
Respect my Authority!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
I find this much more entertaining than GTA because it doesn't have those wacky missions tacked on just to pad out the game.

Instead of being given dozens upon dozens of somethings farcical objectives to carry out, I'm given my one mission, kill all 21 bosses, and give a variety of tools to do it, then encouraged to play it my own way with my own style.
GTA has its place, remember if it wasn't for GTA this game would not exist. Anyway I have yet to play a GTA like game that is as good as San Andreas. The world is just so huge and it offers so many missions. This game still sounds great.

SC Veteran has 121 Posts