Warcraft Legacy Starcraft Legacy BlizzForums
The Future?

Go Back   BlizzForums > General Forums > Chit Chat

Chit Chat Your Life, Your Thoughts, Your Nonsense.

Old 01-31-2009

United States Ben
The Sartorialist
 Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...

Yes, quite. Turns out it applies here as well.

Ben has 11,099 Posts

What's happening?
I keep my dreadlocks in a napkin ring
Rap and sing
Unlike the homogenous clones
I'm in to earth tones, birth stones, and erogenous zones
The more ticklish the more you have
Sitting on the curb of what used to be the burbs
And before that was Canarcie
I'm a disturbed and bitter herb
Like saltwater and parsley

Most Intelligent Debater 2008

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to Ben Send a message via MSN to Ben  

Old 01-31-2009

United States Chaos
Eddie Harris
 Chaos should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshChaos should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshChaos should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshChaos should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshChaos should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshChaos should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshChaos should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshChaos should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshChaos should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshChaos should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshChaos should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, gosh

Quote:
And a recession of this magnitude as never happened before.
Ummm any of the gold-standard caused panics of the late 19th century and the Great Depression were all much worse than the current recession.

That's why central banking was created, as a way to keep economies from crashing like clockwork every fifteen to twenty years or so thanks to the gold standard.

Chaos has 28,439 Posts

WELL THEY CALL ME MIKE D THE EVER LOVING MAN
IM LIKE SPOONIE GEE WELL IM THE METROPOLITICIAN
YOU SCREAM AND YOU HOLLER
BOUT MY CHEVY IMPALA
BUT THE SWEAT IS GETTIN WET AROUND THE RING AROUND YOUR COLLAR

pm.gif   

Old 01-31-2009

United States Ben
The Sartorialist
 Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...Ben would like to thank all of the little people...

Central banking is not fiat currency, those are all examples of central banking caused crashes.

Ben has 11,099 Posts

What's happening?
Rap and sing

Old 01-31-2009

United States Chaos
Eddie Harris
 Chaos should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshChaos should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshChaos should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshChaos should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshChaos should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshChaos should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshChaos should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshChaos should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshChaos should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshChaos should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshChaos should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, gosh

Central banking didn't exist at least in organized nationwide form before the early 20th century. And it was created because fiat currency, not in general but in specific the gold standard, was fucking over farmers and others regularly every 15 to 20 years. Hell, we almost elected Bryan in 1896 on a silver standard platform because the gold standard was so hated by the Midwest.

Chaos has 28,439 Posts

BOUT MY CHEVY IMPALA

pm.gif   

Old 01-31-2009

Canada Drakain Zeil
erfolg durch qualität
 Drakain Zeil would like to thank all of the little people...Drakain Zeil would like to thank all of the little people...Drakain Zeil would like to thank all of the little people...Drakain Zeil would like to thank all of the little people...Drakain Zeil would like to thank all of the little people...Drakain Zeil would like to thank all of the little people...Drakain Zeil would like to thank all of the little people...Drakain Zeil would like to thank all of the little people...Drakain Zeil would like to thank all of the little people...Drakain Zeil would like to thank all of the little people...Drakain Zeil would like to thank all of the little people...

Hey chaos, my bar of gold hasn't exactly gone down like the economy .

Drakain Zeil has 11,867 Posts

Faster than lightning
and high as a kite
Hidden Content:

pm.gif   

Old 01-31-2009

United States Chaos
Eddie Harris

That has nothing to do with how things were 130 years ago.

Chaos has 28,439 Posts

BOUT MY CHEVY IMPALA

pm.gif   

Old 01-31-2009

United States Ben
The Sartorialist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
Central banking didn't exist at least in organized nationwide form before the early 20th century. And it was created because fiat currency, not in general but in specific the gold standard, was fucking over farmers and others regularly every 15 to 20 years. Hell, we almost elected Bryan in 1896 on a silver standard platform because the gold standard was so hated by the Midwest.
Banks were allowed to issue their own promissory notes, but only against government mandated specie and at the exchange ratios the government mandated, with interest rates still commanded by state governments. If you want to argue that "central banking" is not the correct phrase to use to designate that system, I could see where you are coming from, but crashes were still caused by the inability of a central government to calculate a "correct" value for money.

Ben has 11,099 Posts

What's happening?
Rap and sing

Old 01-31-2009

Canada Kaizen
Promethean Male
 Kaizen must really think internet = serious business...Kaizen must really think internet = serious business...Kaizen must really think internet = serious business...Kaizen must really think internet = serious business...Kaizen must really think internet = serious business...Kaizen must really think internet = serious business...Kaizen must really think internet = serious business...Kaizen must really think internet = serious business...Kaizen must really think internet = serious business...Kaizen must really think internet = serious business...Kaizen must really think internet = serious business...

There has never been a true gold standard. Nevertheless, the problem is fractional reserve banking.

In Murray Rothbard's "A history of money and banking in the United States", which outlines pre-WW2 all the way back to the inception of the United States, he points out that paper money was always abused in its creation given its underlying specie. And when the people wanted to convert their wortheless paper into specie due to rampant inflation, the government usually intervened and banned convertability to specie.

Since the beginning of banking the same thing has been happening: massive pyramid scheme protected by government.

Last edited by Kaizen; 01-31-2009 at 12:28 PM.
Kaizen has 1,469 Posts

"Liberty, or Freedome, signifieth (properly) the absence of opposition; (by Opposition, I mean externall Impediments of motion) and may be applied no lesse to Irrationall, and Inanimate creatures, that to Rationall.

And according to this proper, and generally received meaning of the word, a free man, is he, that in those things, which by his strength and wit he is able to do, is not hindered to doe what he has a will to."

- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan.

So close... Yet so far.

pm.gif  Send a message via MSN to Kaizen  

Old 01-31-2009

United States Chaos
Eddie Harris

Quote:
Banks were allowed to issue their own promissory notes, but only against government mandated specie and at the exchange ratios the government mandated, with interest rates still commanded by state governments. If you want to argue that "central banking" is not the correct phrase to use to designate that system, I could see where you are coming from, but crashes were still caused by the inability of a central government to calculate a "correct" value for money.
That might be the case for, say, the Panic of 1837, but not for the Panic of 1857, Black Friday in 1869, the Panic of 1873, or the Panic of 1893. All of those were directly related to fiat currency, especially Black Friday in 1869 and the Panics of 1857 and 1893.

Jay Gould tried to corner the entire world gold market in 1869 and fucked things up for an entire decade. The Panic of 1857 probably wouldn't have happened if 30,000 pounds of gold hadn't been lost off the North Carolina coast on a US vessel in a hurricane.

It could even be argued that the prosperity of the 20th century depended almost entirely in the beginning on the discovery of the huge gold deposits on the Witwatersrand in South Africa just before World War I.

Basing your economy on the supply of a not really that abundant metal was and is a bad idea.

Chaos has 28,439 Posts

BOUT MY CHEVY IMPALA

pm.gif   

Old 01-31-2009

United States Ben
The Sartorialist

Quote:
That might be the case for, say, the Panic of 1837, but not for the Panic of 1857, Black Friday in 1869, the Panic of 1873, or the Panic of 1893. All of those were directly related to fiat currency, especially Black Friday in 1869 and the Panics of 1857 and 1893.
Not sure what you mean by fiat currency here. Fiat means money that is only backed by the government's fiat, by its command that it must be accepted as legal tender.

There are definitely valid arguments against gold, or at least against a 100% gold standard. The advantage of free banking is that notes would be promised against whatever the market demanded. Some mix of precious metals is likely the best way to go, because they have distinct advantages, but the government cannot "calculate" outside of a market for precious metal what the exchange ratios or interest rates on them ought to be.

Ben has 11,099 Posts

What's happening?
Rap and sing

Old 01-31-2009

No country specified. To select a country, go to User CP -> Edit Profile -> Country p3ngu!n
Forum Elder
 p3ngu!n is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!p3ngu!n is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!p3ngu!n is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!p3ngu!n is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!p3ngu!n is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!p3ngu!n is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!p3ngu!n is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!p3ngu!n is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!p3ngu!n is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!p3ngu!n is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!p3ngu!n is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!

What if the spending of that money was already approved years ago before the crisis? They can't really turn it around. Or can they?

p3ngu!n has 11,118 Posts

Most Sweetest Signature/Avatar Winner 2008

pm.gif   

Old 01-31-2009

United States Golgo 13
ಠ_ಠ
 Golgo 13 might just love this place a little bit too muchGolgo 13 might just love this place a little bit too muchGolgo 13 might just love this place a little bit too muchGolgo 13 might just love this place a little bit too muchGolgo 13 might just love this place a little bit too muchGolgo 13 might just love this place a little bit too muchGolgo 13 might just love this place a little bit too muchGolgo 13 might just love this place a little bit too muchGolgo 13 might just love this place a little bit too muchGolgo 13 might just love this place a little bit too muchGolgo 13 might just love this place a little bit too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaizen View Post
Since the beginning of banking the same thing has been happening: massive pyramid scheme protected by government.
That's basically the cut of it. The entire global financial system is in essence a giant ponzi scheme. Fractional reserve banking is a fraud so complete and venal that it demands to be destroyed beyond the power of memory to recall it's existence.

It's very structure alone is what created the business cycle, and hence the first great depression as well as the one we're currently embarking upon.

Once you understand how the financial system works, an ultimate meltdown of the entire world economy goes without saying.

Golgo 13 has 10,560 Posts

"The modern banking system manufactures money out of nothing. The process is perhaps the most astounding piece of sleight-of-hand that was ever invented. Banking was conceived in inequity and born in sin. But if you want to continue to be slaves of the bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, then let the bankers continue to create money and control credit."

- Josiah Charles, President of the Bank of England & 2nd richest man in Great Britain (1880-1941)

pm.gif