Warcraft Legacy Starcraft Legacy BlizzForums
The Future?

Go Back   BlizzForums > Games > StarCraft Discussion

StarCraft Discussion StarCraft & Brood War lie herein.

Closed Thread

Old 09-15-2008

BlizzForums Zero
Templar of the SC Forums
 Zero simply pwnsZero simply pwnsZero simply pwnsZero simply pwnsZero simply pwnsZero simply pwnsZero simply pwnsZero simply pwnsZero simply pwnsZero simply pwnsZero simply pwns
Exclamation Questions for BlizzCon

I'd wait a little longer, but since the activity here has decreased slightly with the decrease of released information (or increased secrecy), I figured it'd be best if I started this now.

One mistake that I made in preparing for the last BlizzCon and the March 11th press release is that I didn't collect enough input from the forums about questions that you'd like answered. So here's a chance for those game-play and lore questions to get answered, either through the playing of the demo or the lore discussion. I'll keep up a collection of the questions, and do my best to answer most, if not all of them, while at BlizzCon.

Game-Play Questions:
  • General: What happened to the physics-enabled death animations? Are they there, and if not, why?
  • General: Does the "hover" status of units still remain in SC2?
  • Terran: What is the current status of the Thor?
  • Terran: Is the Jackal useful enough to justify being able to double-built it at the factory with the reactor add-on?
  • Terran: Are drop pods still out?
  • Terran: How easy is it for Reapers to use their mines? Is that ability innate or a late-tier upgrade?
  • Terran: Are there no penalties associated with salvaging a Terran building? Are any buildings (with the exception of upgraded CC's) ineligible for salvage?
  • Terran: What abilities are currently allowed from inside a bunker? Is it still possible to launch a nuke from inside the protection of this building?
  • Terran: What role does the Hellion/Jackal play in the game?
  • Terran: How difficult will it be to destroy/counter Reaper mines?
  • Terran: Will Terran ground forces (Reapers, Marauders, Hellions, Siege Tanks, and Stimpacks) be too powerful against Zerg low-HP ground units?
  • Terran: Will Ghosts EMP ability be AoE like it was in SC before, or will it be effective on a single target only?
  • Zerg: Can an overlord perform a creep drop on space barriers? If so, can units walk across while the creep is present?
  • Zerg: Do swarm guardians expel broodlings, or swarms? Are swarms still emerging from destroyed buildings?
  • Zerg: Will multiple units be able to burrow in one spot like in SC, and if so how will this affect units with large collision?
  • Zerg: Will the Zerg be getting any aerial caster unit to replace the old queen?
  • Protoss: What is the current status on team-colored psi for units/buildings?
  • Protoss: Will Colossi interact with water differently than other units?
  • Protoss: How are the damage figures for the Warp Ray and Colossus calculated? (Eg damage per time, with the special modifiers for the Warp Ray, and how does armor affect the damage total?)
  • Terran/Zerg: If Terran and Zerg team play with each other, will zerg units like the Hydralisk & the Roach be able to enter Terran Bunkers, and will Medi-vacs heal Roaches, if yes, won't that make them "Overpowered"?
  • Terran/Protoss: What happens if an Immortal gets hit with EMP?
Lore/Campaign Questions:
  • Is the bar seen in the most recent single player screenshots the cantina on the Hyperion or is it a planet-side bar somewhere.
  • Without Zeratul taking the lead among the Protoss, what is the structure of their leadership/government? And upon which Protoss will their campaign center around?
  • How exactly do Zerg travel at warp speed through space without the Overmind or cerebrates?
  • Will there be many installation-type and non-building missions in the campaign? Are there any sort of mechanics being included to make them more interesting similar to WarCraft 3?
  • What happened to the remnants of the Confederacy in the Koprulu Sector? Yes, most of the Tarsonian Confederacy's remaining forces were impressed into the Dominion's ranks, but Samir Duran's Resistance Forces and the Confederates in Deceptions prove that this is not the case. There are Confederates out there which have not been accounted for, and we've heard remarkably little from them. Will they be playing a part in the continuation of the StarCraft storyline?
  • Can you give us any insight into what role Tychus will play in the single player campaign?
  • What is the Psionic Matrix? What does it do and how does it work?

Map Editor Questions:
  • What kind of support is Blizzard planning to include for custom-made models in Scumedit? For example, say that I don't like the wings on the zergling, but there is no wingless zergling in the editor. Will there be a way to create a new wingless zergling model without using having to use a third-party program?
  • Did the developers ever consider using SC:Ghost units like the Vindicator, Stinger, and Grizzly? Were they scrapped because SC:G was scrapped, or because somehow they didn't fit into the RTS? Will they be in the map editor?
  • Will there be any UED-specific units in the map editor or as non-buildable units within the single-player campaign?
  • Can you tell us anything about new tilesets? (I believe the list is space platform, ash, jungle/ruined jungle, twilight, ice, desert, and shattered city.)
  • Will there be shallow water? (Basically a bridge, with different graphics.)
  • How much is the total buildable unit max count in the editor?
  • Are you planning to put an inventory in the unit interface just like in WarCraft 3 for map makers?
  • Will the starcraft 2 editor feature an custom AI/ model/ campaign/ sound editor/importer like the WC3:TFT editor did.

Production Questions:
  • What is the ballpark estimate of the project's completion?
  • There should be a buying mechanic in the campaign where you can optimize/customize your ship(hyperion), like you can buy some special monitors to watch cinematics or buy a decal painter machine for the armory to customize your units decals or buy a very costly simulation computer to play sc1 in 3d. Other than buying it another requirement is that you need to complete some other side missions or do specific objectives in missions to get these bonuses. Yes, Some extra perks to increase the campaign's length and make it more fun. Is this possible?
  • In the Terran campaign preview, it was said that there is a simulator in the armory of the Hyperion in which you can interact, test out, and play with units. What does this actually mean? Can players actually see these units up-close and play or simulate them? Like you can wear a marine suit and move and look around in a first/third person shooter style game.
  • If the UED return, will they be completely different from the Terran? Is there a possibility that they will come back as a completely new and unique race (playable or not)?
  • What happened to the predator? Why was it removed as the original Terran main ATA fighter.
  • Is resource trading being considered for multiplayer games, and how do you see it impacting team games?
  • Are there any new abilities being experimented with for the Archon or High Templar?
  • Are you considering a change of the Carrier model, to be more like an enhanced SC1 Carrier? It looks very different to be the same unit, and seems to have an excess of glowing things, and has a lot of empty space for a capital ship.
  • Will the Infestor be undergoing any model changes? A lot of people dislike its design, it looks least likely from the Zerg line-up to be able to move underground.
  • Are you planning to add a replay viewer, and/or a replay to video converter for the Beta, so that anyone can watch the games played with good quality?
  • In the original StarCraft, a nuclear launch that destroyed a bunker wouldn't harm the units inside, which was very annoying for some players, is this being considered for a change at all?

Online/Battle.net Questions:
  • How will Blizzard battle hackers and cheaters?
  • What kind of matchmaking system will Bnet have?
  • What kind of new features since StarCraft should we expect from the StarCraft 2 battle.net?
  • Will Starcraft 2 have DRM (Digital Rights Management) protection?

A note to everyone:

Questions that require asking at a Q&A session at one of the StarCraft panels may not get answers. Game-play questions are easy, it's just a matter of trying something out during a run-through of the demo. At each of these StarCraft panels, I will only be able to ask one question, so unless your question is the one I ask, or a question that someone else brings up at one of the panels, it may not be answered. However, I will have two people with me, and I'll encourage them to ask a question of their choice (preferably from the list), but even if everyone with me asks a question, that may be around 8 questions maximum per Q&A (including LordofAscension and everyone else from StarCraft Legacy). So, just a warning to not feel bad if a question doesn't get answered. The more relevant questions are, the more likely they'll be the ones that will be picked.

List Updated To: Post #72

You have until the end of Thursday to submit your questions for BlizzCon! Remember, game-play questions are most likely to be answered.

Last edited by Zero; 10-08-2008 at 05:22 PM.
Zero has 8,376 Posts

"As a kid it was traumatic. It was one thing for your teacher to tell you that life was harsh for settlers headed West in the decades after the Louisiana Purchase. It was a lot more chilling to watch as your three children, "Boobs, Fart, and Winky" drowned in the Colorado river shortly before your wife died of diarrhea."
- Gamespy talking about the original Oregon Trail

pm.gif   

Old 09-15-2008

Bosnia and Herzegovina mgcemir
BF Member
 mgcemir has ascended to greatnessmgcemir has ascended to greatnessmgcemir has ascended to greatnessmgcemir has ascended to greatnessmgcemir has ascended to greatnessmgcemir has ascended to greatnessmgcemir has ascended to greatnessmgcemir has ascended to greatnessmgcemir has ascended to greatnessmgcemir has ascended to greatnessmgcemir has ascended to greatness

ok heres my question, and its not much but i always wanted to hear the answer.

i got an old computer, and i plan to buy a new one when either starcarft 2 comes or d3 comes, whatever comes first. so my question is this, if i buy a computer that runs starcraft 2 on all the highest settings will it be able to run diablo 3 on those same highest setting. basicly are game engines of those 2 games similar or near the same in terms of system req.

mgcemir has 296 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 09-15-2008

Canada Kimera757*
The Last Cerebrate
 Kimera757* is made of winKimera757* is made of winKimera757* is made of winKimera757* is made of winKimera757* is made of winKimera757* is made of winKimera757* is made of winKimera757* is made of winKimera757* is made of winKimera757* is made of winKimera757* is made of win

I have to go to work, so have little time to put thought into questions...

1) How long will this thread be open?
2) Will you be videotaping the panels?

StarCraft wiki; a complete and referenced database on the StarCraft game series, StarCraft II, Lore, Characters and Gameplay.

Three products = one game plus two expansions.

"Do you hear them whispering from the stars? The galaxy will burn with their coming."

pm.gif   

Old 09-15-2008

Malaysia SoFool
The Chinese Cerebrate +)
 SoFool has become enlightenedSoFool has become enlightenedSoFool has become enlightenedSoFool has become enlightenedSoFool has become enlightenedSoFool has become enlightenedSoFool has become enlightenedSoFool has become enlightenedSoFool has become enlightenedSoFool has become enlightenedSoFool has become enlightened

What happens when an overlord drops creep on water, larva & empty spaces?

SoFool has 384 Posts

Find Humanity ... Assimilate ... Learn ... Evolve.

pm.gif   

Old 09-15-2008

Canada DemolitionSquid
TestosterOWNAGE
 DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...

Here's one that probably should have been asked a LONG time ago, but I'd really like an answer to it:

Did the devs ever concider using SC:G units like the Vindicator, Stinger, and Grizzley? Were they scrapped because SC:G was scrapped, or because somehow they didn't fit into RTS?

DemolitionSquid has 7,740 Posts

pm.gif  Send a message via MSN to DemolitionSquid  

Old 09-15-2008

BlizzForums Zero
Templar of the SC Forums
 Zero simply pwnsZero simply pwnsZero simply pwnsZero simply pwnsZero simply pwnsZero simply pwnsZero simply pwnsZero simply pwnsZero simply pwnsZero simply pwnsZero simply pwns

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgcemir View Post
ok heres my question, and its not much but i always wanted to hear the answer.

i got an old computer, and i plan to buy a new one when either starcarft 2 comes or d3 comes, whatever comes first. so my question is this, if i buy a computer that runs starcraft 2 on all the highest settings will it be able to run diablo 3 on those same highest setting. basicly are game engines of those 2 games similar or near the same in terms of system req.
I haven't been following D3. I don't know how far it is into production or when it will be released in relation to SC2. I don't think the answer to this question can be answered at BlizzCon, and in a QA panel, I'd be more likely to use my (one) question on a SC-related question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimera757*
I have to go to work, so have little time to put thought into questions...

1) How long will this thread be open?
2) Will you be videotaping the panels?
1) Most likely the evening before I leave. I'm not wasting my time in getting there early to do one last check for new questions. If you haven't asked them by then, you're either not here enough or didn't care that much about the question.

2) No, I lack the equipment. The pay-per-view taping of the BlizzCon events will likely show these. However, due to the considerable number of visitors from SCL and other SC fansites, accurate scripts should be obtainable of the discussion panels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFool
What happens when an overlord drops creep on water, larva & empty spaces?
REMOVED.
My apologies. Next time explain things a bit more though, I didn't know what you meant.

Last edited by Zero; 09-15-2008 at 11:54 AM.
Zero has 8,376 Posts

"As a kid it was traumatic. It was one thing for your teacher to tell you that life was harsh for settlers headed West in the decades after the Louisiana Purchase. It was a lot more chilling to watch as your three children, "Boobs, Fart, and Winky" drowned in the Colorado river shortly before your wife died of diarrhea."

pm.gif   

Old 09-15-2008

Canada DemolitionSquid
TestosterOWNAGE
 DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
I'm being serious about this. Post real questions or don't bother. 1) Overlords aren't transporters anymore and 2) no transporter can drop on those barriers.
Holy shit man, chill. And keep up with the times.

He was talking about Creep Drop, the Overlord ABILITY where Overlords can produce creep under them, used for fortifying expansions before you have your Hatchery up, and Nydus assults. He's wondering if the ability can be used over terrain gaps like water or space, and if it can sustain a larva left over when a base is destroyed and the building produced creep resides.

Old 09-15-2008

BlizzForums Zero
Templar of the SC Forums

Oh, I see. He should have explained that better then. My apologies.

Note for the future: Don't assume I know everything and explain the details. With the unread books and constantly changing units and lore, it's difficult to keep up with everything. With my renewed focus on StarCraft again, I'll try and get back up to speed with current information.

Zero has 8,376 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 09-15-2008

United States SpiderBrigade
disabled your radio gauge
 SpiderBrigade has become enlightenedSpiderBrigade has become enlightenedSpiderBrigade has become enlightenedSpiderBrigade has become enlightenedSpiderBrigade has become enlightenedSpiderBrigade has become enlightenedSpiderBrigade has become enlightenedSpiderBrigade has become enlightenedSpiderBrigade has become enlightenedSpiderBrigade has become enlightenedSpiderBrigade has become enlightened

What happened to the physics-enabled death animations?

In the first few videos killed units would blow apart into several component parts which would bounce on the ground before fading out. In recent videos units simply disappear in an explosion. This looks really awkward for the Colossus, especially. Was this feature removed, or simply disabled in those videos to improve gameplay speed?

SpiderBrigade has 1,129 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 09-15-2008

Nepal viperjo
Lovable Local Blood God
 viperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshviperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshviperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshviperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshviperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshviperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshviperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshviperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshviperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshviperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshviperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, gosh

Does the "hover" status of units still remain in SC2?

What is the ballpark estimate of the project's completion?

viperjo has 5,125 Posts

I've got ham but i'm not a hamster........................... Thanks to Greyscale for this sexy sig!

pm.gif   

Old 09-15-2008

United States XBSHX
BF Member
 XBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperjo View Post
Does the "hover" status of units still remain in SC2?
Yes, you can clearly see units marked as "hover" in screenshots.

Quote:
What is the ballpark estimate of the project's completion?
Blizzard isn't going to tell anyone that so why bother asking?

As for my question.

Is the bar seen in the most recent single player screenshots the cantina on the Hyperion or is it a planet-side bar somewhere.

Last edited by XBSHX; 09-15-2008 at 04:10 PM.
XBSHX has 3,215 Posts

Zergling seagull sound NEEDS to go.

pm.gif  Send a message via MSN to XBSHX  

Old 09-15-2008

Russian Federation NeoSoviet
BF Member
 NeoSoviet has been here far, far too longNeoSoviet has been here far, far too longNeoSoviet has been here far, far too longNeoSoviet has been here far, far too longNeoSoviet has been here far, far too longNeoSoviet has been here far, far too longNeoSoviet has been here far, far too longNeoSoviet has been here far, far too longNeoSoviet has been here far, far too longNeoSoviet has been here far, far too longNeoSoviet has been here far, far too long

What is the most powerful unit overall ?

NeoSoviet has 839 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 09-15-2008

Canada Veltras
Thought in chaos
 Veltras has a reputation beyond reputeVeltras has a reputation beyond reputeVeltras has a reputation beyond reputeVeltras has a reputation beyond reputeVeltras has a reputation beyond reputeVeltras has a reputation beyond reputeVeltras has a reputation beyond reputeVeltras has a reputation beyond reputeVeltras has a reputation beyond reputeVeltras has a reputation beyond reputeVeltras has a reputation beyond repute

With Zeratul gone, who is the current Patriarch of the Dark Templars?

How exactly do Zerg Travel at warp speed through space?

What kind of support is Blizzard planning to include for custome made models in Scumedit?

Veltras has 198 Posts

Busy killing integrals and their ilk or trying to measure the decay of psions in their rest frame...

pm.gif   

Old 09-15-2008

Canada DemolitionSquid
TestosterOWNAGE

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoSoviet View Post
I beleive it' still the Mothership for HP, and the Colossus for attack values.

Old 09-15-2008

United States SpiderBrigade
disabled your radio gauge
 SpiderBrigade has become enlightenedSpiderBrigade has become enlightenedSpiderBrigade has become enlightenedSpiderBrigade has become enlightenedSpiderBrigade has become enlightenedSpiderBrigade has become enlightenedSpiderBrigade has become enlightenedSpiderBrigade has become enlightenedSpiderBrigade has become enlightenedSpiderBrigade has become enlightenedSpiderBrigade has become enlightened

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoSoviet View Post
You might want to clarify that some..."most powerful" is pretty subjective based on situation and tactics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veltras View Post
What kind of support is Blizzard planning to include for custome made models in Scumedit?
Ohhh, yeah, ask this one. Allowing custom models would be killer.

SpiderBrigade has 1,129 Posts

pm.gif   
Closed Thread