Warcraft Legacy Starcraft Legacy BlizzForums
The Future?

Go Back   BlizzForums > Games > StarCraft Discussion

StarCraft Discussion StarCraft & Brood War lie herein.

View Poll Results: Which capital ship would win in a 1v1 battle?
Carrier 43 40.95%
Battlecruiser 62 59.05%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-05-2007

Canada pureWasted
Temporary Generic Title
 pureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to allpureWasted is a name known to all
Default Capital Ships Compared - Lore

Game balance and all that junk aside (), how do you think the capital ships measure up in combat?

At its simplest, this is a comparison between the Battlecruiser and the Carrier. If we want to complicate matters, we can throw in the Warp Ray (dubious whether it will retain its status of semi-capital ship now that the Carrier is back) and the Mothership (even harder to decide since it may be a supporting unit or a giant killing unit of DOOM and stuff).

Complications aside, for some reason the Battlecruiser has always struck me as more impressive than the Carrier. I mean, the Carrier is beautiful and "technologically advanced" but there's something to the Cattlebruiser's simplistic roughness, and I've always thought it was a bit bigger (going back to the Alexander in BW's opening cinematic, I guess). At the same time, I'd say that the "super"-Carriers are probably a lot more powerful than the elite Battlecruisers, so the Gantrithor would probably have been more than a match for the Alexander, or the Norad II, or the Hyperion.

What's the general consensus? Who'd win in a 1v1 "real StarCraft" scenario, a BC or a Carrier? What about if we throw in some of the newer units?

pureWasted has 2,438 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 10-05-2007

United States Gradius
For Vengenace
 Gradius is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!Gradius is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!Gradius is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!Gradius is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!Gradius is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!Gradius is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!Gradius is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!Gradius is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!Gradius is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!Gradius is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!Gradius is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!
Default Re: Capital Ships Compared - Lore

1v1? Definitely Battlecruiser. Yamato then take it down. Carrier just doesnt have enough firepower.
12v12? We might have a different scenario.

I found it interesting that Blizz decided to add that super-carrier lore to the page. The Gantrithor was never really designated as a "super" carrier. I definitely didnt think it could take out an entire battlecruiser squadron.

Gradius has 5,020 Posts

Best StarCraft II Poster 2008 | Best Moderator 2008
Best StarCraft II Poster 2007 Runner Up | Most-Liked StarCraft II Poster 2007

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to Gradius Send a message via MSN to Gradius  

Old 10-05-2007

United States HellishProphet
I Bring Visions Of Doom
 HellishProphet is dominating!HellishProphet is dominating!HellishProphet is dominating!HellishProphet is dominating!HellishProphet is dominating!HellishProphet is dominating!HellishProphet is dominating!HellishProphet is dominating!HellishProphet is dominating!HellishProphet is dominating!HellishProphet is dominating!

IF i am understanding correctly you saying how we tink a 1v1 battle would play out if we went from lore and such?

Then i surly would say the carrier would win. The BC is a massive ship with dozens of batteries but a carrier is a shit that carriers immense number of fighters. I do believe they carry "hundreds of thousands". So wuts better? 500 to 5000 fast rebuildable disposable interceptors or 1 BC? (p.s. the inceptors {from the cinimaxs from sc1} are about a tad smaller than wraiths)

A Supa Carrier surly would pwn any BC.

But then again i forgot to account for the BC's own flight crew full of ships of their own. But Carriers got them beat there too. They make many disposable fighters while the BC cant afford to loose all its ships or sacrafice normal crew mates to fly the ships.

But in thw world of starcraft 1 and 2.......BC pwns the carrier hands down!

So real life - Carrier pwns BC....well not pwns.....but it would be a close battle ( my vote went to carrier )

In-game - BC pwns Carrier from sheer power

Last edited by HellishProphet; 10-05-2007 at 06:38 PM.
HellishProphet has 538 Posts

"The Sight Foreseen, Is But a Mere Glimpse of The Future that Awaits"

pm.gif   

Old 10-05-2007

BlizzForums Zero
Templar of the SC Forums
 Zero simply pwnsZero simply pwnsZero simply pwnsZero simply pwnsZero simply pwnsZero simply pwnsZero simply pwnsZero simply pwnsZero simply pwnsZero simply pwnsZero simply pwns

Don't base it purely on an in-game scenario. Just because a carrier in the game only has 8 interceptors doesn't mean that realistically couldn't hold/control hundreds. Yes, both ships are likely able to hold a considerable amount of light or medium-sized fighters, the battlecruiser has its multiple laser batteries, and the carrier its interceptors, but I still think the protoss shields would be able to withstand that Yamato Gun blast with enough strength to take down a battlecruiser.

Zero has 8,376 Posts

"As a kid it was traumatic. It was one thing for your teacher to tell you that life was harsh for settlers headed West in the decades after the Louisiana Purchase. It was a lot more chilling to watch as your three children, "Boobs, Fart, and Winky" drowned in the Colorado river shortly before your wife died of diarrhea."
- Gamespy talking about the original Oregon Trail

pm.gif   

Old 10-05-2007

Canada Kimera757*
The Last Cerebrate
 Kimera757* is made of winKimera757* is made of winKimera757* is made of winKimera757* is made of winKimera757* is made of winKimera757* is made of winKimera757* is made of winKimera757* is made of winKimera757* is made of winKimera757* is made of winKimera757* is made of win

I voted BC.

I don't know about the laser batteries, but many Battlecruisers will be armed with Yamato Cannons. Yamato Cannons are designed to smash powerful things like Carriers.

Also, units influence lore and vice versa. The Carrier is launching interceptors with small weapons against heavily armored Battlecruisers. Wraiths are also small, but they were armed with big honking armor-piercing Gemini missiles.

StarCraft wiki; a complete and referenced database on the StarCraft game series, StarCraft II, Lore, Characters and Gameplay.

Three products = one game plus two expansions.

"Do you hear them whispering from the stars? The galaxy will burn with their coming."

pm.gif   

Old 10-05-2007

United States HellishProphet
I Bring Visions Of Doom
 HellishProphet is dominating!HellishProphet is dominating!HellishProphet is dominating!HellishProphet is dominating!HellishProphet is dominating!HellishProphet is dominating!HellishProphet is dominating!HellishProphet is dominating!HellishProphet is dominating!HellishProphet is dominating!HellishProphet is dominating!

But as zero and i have said, the carrier has hundreds of thousands of interceptors and shields that probably withstand a Yamoto cannon blast. Sure the BC is all hight and mity with its inside crew, lazer batteries and YC. But the bc, unlike the carrier, will run out of fighters. And without fighters all them disposable interceptors have free range at the BC. Plus, they could basically become scurges if they wunted to.......just ram the ship........i tink 400+ interceptors ramming a bc could so considerable damge.

I'm not saying that the carrier would always win but that the carrier has the advantage in all aspects

HellishProphet has 538 Posts

"The Sight Foreseen, Is But a Mere Glimpse of The Future that Awaits"

pm.gif   

Old 10-05-2007

Canada Kimera757*
The Last Cerebrate
 Kimera757* is made of winKimera757* is made of winKimera757* is made of winKimera757* is made of winKimera757* is made of winKimera757* is made of winKimera757* is made of winKimera757* is made of winKimera757* is made of winKimera757* is made of winKimera757* is made of win

I don't know if Zero is right on that. Thousands?

Real-life aircraft carriers carry dozens of fighter jets. I don't think the Protoss Carrier is that different. In the cinematics, they look like they hold more than eight interceptors, but I don't think I saw more than twenty. Certainly not thousands.

Also, real-life aircraft carriers carry a variety of aircraft, something Protoss Carriers don't have the luxury of doing. Real-life aircraft carriers often carry strike fighters (these carry glide-bombs or anti-ship missiles) in addition to aircraft like the F-14 Tomcat designed to shoot down other aircraft.

StarCraft wiki; a complete and referenced database on the StarCraft game series, StarCraft II, Lore, Characters and Gameplay.

Three products = one game plus two expansions.

"Do you hear them whispering from the stars? The galaxy will burn with their coming."

pm.gif   

Old 10-05-2007

United States Gradius
For Vengenace
 Gradius is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!Gradius is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!Gradius is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!Gradius is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!Gradius is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!Gradius is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!Gradius is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!Gradius is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!Gradius is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!Gradius is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!Gradius is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!

We have no proof that the carrier houses more than 8 interceptors. Even if we did, interceptor attacks aren't made for piercing that neosteel armor.

Gradius has 5,020 Posts

Best StarCraft II Poster 2008 | Best Moderator 2008
Best StarCraft II Poster 2007 Runner Up | Most-Liked StarCraft II Poster 2007

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to Gradius Send a message via MSN to Gradius  

Old 10-05-2007

United States Luke
soy un perdedor
 Luke is on a distinguished road

Aye, it's like innocent until proven guilty. Anyone have any canon information stating how many interceptors a normal carrier actually maxes out at? We KNOW they have at least 8, it's probably safe to assume based on cinematics and common sense that they most likely have at last several times that number, but it's total speculation to say they have hundreds or even thousands of interceptors. One-on-one, I vote for the Battlecruiser, assuming it's outfitted with a Yamato cannon. Without Yamato, it's a closer call.

Luke has 53 Posts

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to Luke  

Old 10-05-2007

Australia Waves
or maybe particles
 Waves is a name known to allWaves is a name known to allWaves is a name known to allWaves is a name known to allWaves is a name known to allWaves is a name known to allWaves is a name known to allWaves is a name known to allWaves is a name known to allWaves is a name known to allWaves is a name known to all

Heh. I voted Carrier. This thread amuses me.

Waves has 2,550 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 10-05-2007

Canada DemolitionSquid
TestosterOWNAGE
 DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...

In-Game, a BC always beats a Carrier, because the Carrier blows as a capital ship. It's meant to kill small things, and that position was refined into the Tempest, while the BC was always about dealing 25 dmg per shot and yamotoing larger, tacticle objects, such as carriers. If you want to talk about hard counters:

Warp Ray > BC > Carrier

Or, it was, until they slaughtered the Ray by making it ATG... fucking retards.

DemolitionSquid has 7,740 Posts

pm.gif  Send a message via MSN to DemolitionSquid  

Old 10-05-2007

No country specified. To select a country, go to User CP -> Edit Profile -> Country flavormanIII
I come in all flavors
 flavormanIII has become enlightenedflavormanIII has become enlightenedflavormanIII has become enlightenedflavormanIII has become enlightenedflavormanIII has become enlightenedflavormanIII has become enlightenedflavormanIII has become enlightenedflavormanIII has become enlightenedflavormanIII has become enlightenedflavormanIII has become enlightenedflavormanIII has become enlightened

They were described to be like a robotic hornet's nest. I think that's saf to assume the is a LOT!
@Squid
We were talking in a purely Lore basis not a Gameplay one

Last edited by flavormanIII; 10-05-2007 at 08:10 PM.
flavormanIII has 1,052 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 10-05-2007

Canada Vytae
BF Member
 Vytae doesn't suck

If you wan't to talk lore or 'realism' as you guys are trying to hide as lore think about this: The BC was DESIGNED for Anti-Capital ship and heavy ground support warfare. The Carrier was designed for general combat use and command ship operations.

The Battlecruiser will win because it is DESIGNED to take massive hits (or lots of little ones) and keep on coming to return them. The Carrier wasnt designed to take massive hits,but spread carnage over a wide area,elegant like.

Brute force > Elegance.

pm.gif   

Old 10-05-2007

United States LordofAscension
Rule Through Vengence
 LordofAscension must really think internet = serious business...LordofAscension must really think internet = serious business...LordofAscension must really think internet = serious business...LordofAscension must really think internet = serious business...LordofAscension must really think internet = serious business...LordofAscension must really think internet = serious business...LordofAscension must really think internet = serious business...LordofAscension must really think internet = serious business...LordofAscension must really think internet = serious business...LordofAscension must really think internet = serious business...LordofAscension must really think internet = serious business...

Lore wise - Carrier. Especially the super-carriers:

Quote:
powerful enough that it single-handedly defeated an entire terran battlecruiser squadron under the command of General Edmund Duke.
That's pretty intense. How many in a squadron? Quite a few I'd assume - very awesome!

~LoA

LordofAscension has 6,163 Posts

Beloved.

pm.gif  Send a message via MSN to LordofAscension  

Old 10-05-2007

Canada RODTHEGOD
Rise of the Black Leaf
 RODTHEGOD has been here far, far too longRODTHEGOD has been here far, far too longRODTHEGOD has been here far, far too longRODTHEGOD has been here far, far too longRODTHEGOD has been here far, far too longRODTHEGOD has been here far, far too longRODTHEGOD has been here far, far too longRODTHEGOD has been here far, far too longRODTHEGOD has been here far, far too longRODTHEGOD has been here far, far too longRODTHEGOD has been here far, far too long

guys you have to remember that lore wise the protoss are a hell of alot more advanced then humans
so really when you compare the military technology of the 2 races you have to come to 1 conclusion
the carrier is gonna kick ass

just look at the military technology of today compared to that of ww2
the ww2 people would get sloughtered 1v1

RODTHEGOD has 1,283 Posts

Its Only a matter of time

pm.gif