Warcraft Legacy Starcraft Legacy BlizzForums
The Future?

Go Back   BlizzForums > Games > StarCraft Discussion

StarCraft Discussion StarCraft & Brood War lie herein.

Old 05-21-2007

Vatican City State Lorde
BF Member
 Lorde is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Invisible units are sent home - bye bye

With the philosophy of keeping the same amount of units, I think the easiest way is to just cut short a game mechanic. This means getting ride of invisible units and their detectors.

With this, we would get rid of...

Arbiter
Dark Templar
Dark Archon
Observer

I think this change will touch Terran troops too. Yeah, we saw a Ghost on the video, but we saw a 1-second short nuke too.

Now, why invisibility? Maybe they think it was too bothersome, or complicated, or just they wanted a change of pace. But -something- will need to be left out and cutting invisible units just open up a lot of space.

Keep my words.. I think invisible units are gone.

pm.gif   

Old 05-21-2007

Italy 10thNazgul
BF Member
 10thNazgul is a model citizen10thNazgul is a model citizen10thNazgul is a model citizen10thNazgul is a model citizen10thNazgul is a model citizen10thNazgul is a model citizen
Default Re: Invisible units are sent home - bye bye

i think that, having the goal to differentiate the 3 races, only terran will mantain invisible units. Zerg will have burrow, as usual, and protoss will likely lose the dark templars and the arbiter

pm.gif   

Old 05-21-2007

United States Majick
BF Member
 Majick is an unknown quantity at this point

You seriosuly haven't considered the necessity of recall and stasis field?

pm.gif   

Old 05-21-2007

Italy 10thNazgul
BF Member
 10thNazgul is a model citizen10thNazgul is a model citizen10thNazgul is a model citizen10thNazgul is a model citizen10thNazgul is a model citizen10thNazgul is a model citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majick View Post
the phase prism with the unit placement in the pylon & prism range makes similar role of recall; stasis field if obsolete, considering the black hole and the timebomb of the mothership: why paralyze an enemy unit when you could throw it into the black hole?

pm.gif   

Old 05-21-2007

Vatican City State Lorde
BF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majick View Post
I sure did, but cuts need to be made..

The Mothership Time-Stop is somehow similar to the Stasis Field... the Protoss can already call troops on any place with a Pylon or a (mobile) Prism.

All units are fantastic, but a cut need to be made somewhere.

pm.gif   

Old 05-21-2007

Canada lepape
BF Member
 lepape doesn't suck

Remember, in one gameplay video (the one thats ends with a bunch of nukes and zerglings spelling "GG"), there were cloaked ghosts and burrowed zerglings.

So stealth and detectors will still exist, but we still have to see if it'll be just as important as it was in BW.

lepape has 165 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 05-21-2007

Canada protoswarrior
Lord of Psionics
 protoswarrior is a name known to allprotoswarrior is a name known to allprotoswarrior is a name known to allprotoswarrior is a name known to allprotoswarrior is a name known to allprotoswarrior is a name known to allprotoswarrior is a name known to allprotoswarrior is a name known to allprotoswarrior is a name known to allprotoswarrior is a name known to allprotoswarrior is a name known to all

I second lepape's assessment. Detectors, observers, DTs, burrowed units and cloaked wraiths still have their place in SC2.

We may see 1 or 2 removed, but not the entirety as the original poster seems to suggest... that would be a big nono.

protoswarrior has 4,613 Posts

protoswarrior IS BACK!

Lord Kieron recedes to the realm of Faerun...

RC is my God

pm.gif  Send a message via MSN to protoswarrior  

Old 05-21-2007

Israel Initiative
War Prey Commodore
 Initiative has a brilliant futureInitiative has a brilliant futureInitiative has a brilliant futureInitiative has a brilliant futureInitiative has a brilliant futureInitiative has a brilliant futureInitiative has a brilliant futureInitiative has a brilliant futureInitiative has a brilliant futureInitiative has a brilliant futureInitiative has a brilliant future

I need to understand something- up to this point you all thought that they will just add units?
Where have you been in the VG RTS market the last 7 years?

Initiative has 162 Posts

pm.gif Send a message via ICQ to Initiative Send a message via MSN to Initiative  

Old 05-21-2007

United States Maegtelluma
go celtics?
 Maegtelluma is a god among mere mortalsMaegtelluma is a god among mere mortalsMaegtelluma is a god among mere mortalsMaegtelluma is a god among mere mortalsMaegtelluma is a god among mere mortalsMaegtelluma is a god among mere mortalsMaegtelluma is a god among mere mortalsMaegtelluma is a god among mere mortalsMaegtelluma is a god among mere mortalsMaegtelluma is a god among mere mortalsMaegtelluma is a god among mere mortals

I expect to see Dark Templars and Arbiters still in the game. Maybe create more Terran units that have stealth / can take advantage of stealth but not a hands-down removal for the Protoss at the same time.

Maegtelluma has 3,872 Posts

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to Maegtelluma  

Old 05-21-2007

Canada Starcraft-4-Life
∫e^x dx
 Starcraft-4-Life is obviously doing something rightStarcraft-4-Life is obviously doing something rightStarcraft-4-Life is obviously doing something rightStarcraft-4-Life is obviously doing something rightStarcraft-4-Life is obviously doing something rightStarcraft-4-Life is obviously doing something rightStarcraft-4-Life is obviously doing something rightStarcraft-4-Life is obviously doing something rightStarcraft-4-Life is obviously doing something rightStarcraft-4-Life is obviously doing something rightStarcraft-4-Life is obviously doing something right

actually all the old units from SCBW are going to SCII so i dont think there going to scrap any old units besides the goon and such bnut will see

pm.gif   

Old 05-21-2007

Israel Initiative
War Prey Commodore
 Initiative has a brilliant futureInitiative has a brilliant futureInitiative has a brilliant futureInitiative has a brilliant futureInitiative has a brilliant futureInitiative has a brilliant futureInitiative has a brilliant futureInitiative has a brilliant futureInitiative has a brilliant futureInitiative has a brilliant futureInitiative has a brilliant future

Blizz said they don't change the number of units each race has.
Logically, this mean that for every new unit an old one need to go.

Initiative has 162 Posts

pm.gif Send a message via ICQ to Initiative Send a message via MSN to Initiative  

Old 05-21-2007

United States Wraithfighter
BF Member
 Wraithfighter doesn't suck

I seriously doubt Blizzard will remove stealth units from the game entirely.

They might can Protoss Stealth units (well, DT's will probably stay), but, lore wise, stealth is too important to the Terrans.

Hell, it's confirmed in the gameplay trailer! Three ghosts show up at the end! And you can't exactly have nukes if the squishy people painting the target can't be invisible.

We know that we're gonna lose some of our favorite units. I'm probably gonna lose my namesake (although there'll probably be a replacement fighter for Terrans), but just because Blizzard isn't increasing the number of units doesn't mean that they have to remove a gameplay mechanic!

Wraithfighter, formerly of Infoceptor (you know, back when it didn't suck)

Blizz, you better keep Wraiths in the game, or so help me...

pm.gif   

Old 05-21-2007

United States renDarkz
BF Member
 renDarkz has a spectacular aura aboutrenDarkz has a spectacular aura about

The protoss dark templars may end up getting removed, the pilots for the stalkers have to come from some-where and the stalkers voice clips sound unusually close to the dark templars to me. In making the dark templar the new pilots or driving force of the stalkers they would also free up the dark archon slot and that warping abuility would more then make up for the lack of invisibility.

renDarkz has 32 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 05-21-2007

Canada ShadowAldrius
Evil wizard of some sort
 ShadowAldrius is a god among mere mortalsShadowAldrius is a god among mere mortalsShadowAldrius is a god among mere mortalsShadowAldrius is a god among mere mortalsShadowAldrius is a god among mere mortalsShadowAldrius is a god among mere mortalsShadowAldrius is a god among mere mortalsShadowAldrius is a god among mere mortalsShadowAldrius is a god among mere mortalsShadowAldrius is a god among mere mortalsShadowAldrius is a god among mere mortals

Son of a... there are no slots. They are not counting how many units they add. There are a bunch of units they're going to include because they're cool. They're going to re-invent the classic units if they can. One of the most classic units is the Dark Templar, now while it will probably not be called the Dark Templar, it will probably still be in the game.

ShadowAldrius has 2,172 Posts

The Banshee should be surly, drunken and Irish. (Okay, maybe just Irish.)

pm.gif   

Old 05-21-2007

Vatican City State Lorde
BF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowAldrius View Post
Son of a... there are no slots. They are not counting how many units they add. There are a bunch of units they're going to include because they're cool. They're going to re-invent the classic units if they can. One of the most classic units is the Dark Templar, now while it will probably not be called the Dark Templar, it will probably still be in the game.
Dream on, my friend, dream on...

pm.gif