Warcraft Legacy Starcraft Legacy BlizzForums
The Future?

Go Back   BlizzForums > Games > StarCraft Discussion

StarCraft Discussion StarCraft & Brood War lie herein.

Old 07-12-2006

United States Tuxedo Templar
Tuxlar
 Tuxedo Templar doesn't suck
Default Rush - Episode 1 Released

Note to BF Users: Muahah you can't escape my wrath here either! No, I just want to be sure everyone gets a chance to see this no matter which forum you hang out in. This isn't exactly a bnet-spreadable map after all, as at 11 megs and with only one extra player slot (which is locked by password at that), this isn't exactly something that'll end up spreading over bnet by hosting/downloading.

Damn it's been ages since I was last here. Should probably start posting again...

RUSH

An ultra-intense, action/adventure shooter experience for Starcraft. You've never seen anything like this before!

Website
http://www.shadowfortress.net/~rush/

Gameplay Overview
This map plays like a shooter built into Starcraft. Using an enhanced version of my original gunner system, you control a single unit in standard shooter fashion and command it to "shoot" with spell casts. I've also added other dynamic elements such as weapon purchasing, upgrading, special abilities, context-based abilities (vehicles, air strikes, etc.), and secrets.
While primarily based around shooter-based gameplay, this map also features a wide range of other gameplay elements beyond the ordinary shooter mold. You'll need to play though it to find out, though (no spoilers).

Important: I must be fair here. This map is not for everyone. It is heavily reliant on reflexes, coordination, unit control, and the occasional IQ point. If you lack any of these, then this map may be too much for you.
In any case, you also will need to master the use of the gunner system as well as the other gameplay elements (purchasing/upgrading weapons and armor) to win. It may be tricky at first, but don't get frustrated if you fail once or twice. It usually takes that long to master it anyway (and believe me: It's worth it).
I've included a comprehensive in-game tutorial and practice area to ease the learning curve, which you should consider mandatory even if you're already acquainted with the gunner system.

Basic Information
-Genre
• Action / Adventure (shooter)
-Players
• Single player
-Map tileset
• Badlands
-Map size
• 192x256
-Duration
• 2-4 hours (without password continues)

Details
-Story
Evil forces invading from the north. Secret government organization. Yadda yadda.
You blow stuff up. Lots of stuff.
-Weapons
You have 4 main weapons (and 1 secret weapon), each with their own sets of upgrades and ammo. You also have grenades and emergency evac at your disposal.
Simple and clean!
-Chapters/Sections
•12 main chapters, with 7 intense boss battles.

Download
Mirrors listed here

Side Notes
If you're still reading this, I figure now's a good time to clear up a few things:
  • My bnet Tuxedo-Templar accounts (both east and west) have been long since hijacked. I actually haven't even been on bnet for the last 4-5 months, so if you've met 'me' online then you'd do well to take anything 'I' say with a big heaping spoonful of salt. I'm using the account Tuxlar for the time being, though.
    That'll teach me not to reuse passwords.
  • Regarding the issue of map protection: Go here to read up on my stance. In summary, I think it's better to have (had) at least some kind of control mechanism instead of none at all. In the long run.
    Rush will still be released as an unlocked map, though (as I had originally planned).
  • Episode 2? Yeap. Might take awhile, considering my current schedule, but I'm definitely going to make it. I'll post later on what my plans are for it (in short: Ep.1 ain't nothing ).
    Just don't bug me on it for now, though.

The Future...
Even though I've been saying I plan to retire from map making, I think now that I've been mapping for so long that's not really going to happen. I do indeed plan to cool down quite a bit, especially considering I now have a full-fledged game project in the works, but that doesn't mean I can't come back around to say hi or cook up any new maps if impulse drives me.

However, I DO plan on continuing Rush now in an episodic format. Episode 1 was mostly just a test to see if I could put my gunner system into an effective gameplay implementation. Though the gunner system gameplay itself is a bit bumpy (mainly because of the learning curve), I think I have succeeded fairly well nonetheless. Of course, I can still go much further, now that I have an idea how to go about doing things. I even have a new version of the gunner system all worked out that'll be 100x easier and much more powerful, which alone would be reason enough to do a new installment.

I gotta tell you though: This has been one heck of a learning experience for me. Not merely in terms of mapping tricks or specific stuff, but for one very important thing: Never do projects out of ego. I won't deny in my earlier days I used to do my maps based almost solely either by ego or impulse. The downside to both is that it lacks direction and destination, and risks ultimately ending up in vain. Even Rush itself is a product of some amount of ego, as I wanted to try and prove it was possible to create gameplay with the gunner system back in the day more than I did create the best map that I could make.

Nowdays, though, my philosophy has changed a bit, partly by necessity. I just can't afford to exert myself without at least trying to accomplish something tangible, unlike before. In part that is why I originally planned to retire from map making, but in reality even Starcraft maps can have some usefulness in and of themselves if you enjoy making them. It's always important to be doing the things you enjoy, and not to be doing them to try and prove something. As even if you succeed in "proving" yourself, what then? Do you win an internet? Does a portal in the sky open up for you to ascend to a higher plane of existence?
No. All that happens on that path is that you become arrogant and petty, which in turn further drives you to cling to it. It's a wasteful path that motivates you only for your own emotional interests, and makes you forget the bigger picture.

Don't live your life controlled by your emotions. Control your emotions for how you plan to live your life instead.

But enough of that. You've done well to endure my rant to read this far, so now go play Rush.

Last edited by Tuxedo Templar; 07-12-2006 at 01:11 AM.
Tuxedo Templar has 40 Posts

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to Tuxedo Templar Send a message via MSN to Tuxedo Templar Send a message via Yahoo to Tuxedo Templar 

Old 07-12-2006

United States AFHOF
Permanent Failure
 AFHOF fails at lifeAFHOF fails at lifeAFHOF fails at lifeAFHOF fails at lifeAFHOF fails at lifeAFHOF fails at lifeAFHOF fails at lifeAFHOF fails at lifeAFHOF fails at lifeAFHOF fails at lifeAFHOF fails at life

Ill downloaded it, but Dont plan on playing it tonight. 2-4 hours is a long time to be playing starcraft alone. GJ though. I hope this makes up for A&O.

pm.gif   

Old 07-12-2006

Tuxlar

It should. A&O was basically going to be a gunner RPG, which is (almost) what this is. Sans the core RPG elements (there's no real story in this, for instance: just pure gameplay).

Still, I put a lot of work into this to make it good nevertheless. It gets better later on, especially (so play though it damnit!)

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to Tuxedo Templar Send a message via MSN to Tuxedo Templar Send a message via Yahoo to Tuxedo Templar 

Old 07-12-2006

United States Death
The Grim Spectre of Death
 Death was born to leadDeath was born to leadDeath was born to leadDeath was born to leadDeath was born to leadDeath was born to leadDeath was born to leadDeath was born to lead

Wow I didn't know you come to BlizzForums?
and thank god I couldn't wait any longer.
I know i'm going to enjoy this map

Death has 1,575 Posts

"Over all people have I surrendered thee the power, only not over this one which has received freedom from Death through the Law"
"And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him."

-Death

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to Death  

Old 07-12-2006

Tuxlar

Well I used to. My old account was Omega back when I did, which was months ago.

I haven't been on bnet or any of my other regular SC forums for the last few months, either. And considering my schedule I might not be posting quite as often as I used to (though I'll try not to hide away like before at least).

Old 07-12-2006

United States AFHOF
Permanent Failure
 AFHOF fails at lifeAFHOF fails at lifeAFHOF fails at lifeAFHOF fails at lifeAFHOF fails at lifeAFHOF fails at lifeAFHOF fails at lifeAFHOF fails at lifeAFHOF fails at lifeAFHOF fails at lifeAFHOF fails at life

Just to comment on your protection stance: IF the map is going to be for learning, why not just protect it the normal way but leave in comments, so people can use trigger viewer?

Edit: 2265 triggers! Nice!

Last edited by AFHOF; 07-12-2006 at 01:42 AM.

pm.gif   

Old 07-12-2006

Tuxlar

Well you see, I ran out of strings toward the end so I had to cannibalize a lot of the commenting. I can post the last version that still has the comments, if anyone wants it (has everything except the ending part).

Old 07-12-2006

Tuxlar

But if you want, here's an earlier version (missing most of the sounds and the ending scenes) that has all the comments intact:

http://rapidshare.de/files/25619176/Rush_v2.07.scx.html

Old 07-12-2006

United States Death
The Grim Spectre of Death
 Death was born to leadDeath was born to leadDeath was born to leadDeath was born to leadDeath was born to leadDeath was born to leadDeath was born to leadDeath was born to lead

Well I played it today though of couse didn't beat, it's good so far.

The first level was okay but is hard if you havn't gottin use to the controles. The Dark Forest was hard, I had to try like 4 times. The Boss was hard to kill if you use the Rifles but the Semi-Automatic owned it.
The Highway one was easy if you know what your doing. The mass of Ultralisks part was also easy when you upgraded the Semi-automatic to it's final level. The Boss was confusing at first I thought I was suppose to shoot it and run but I later figured out I was just suppose to run to the end and then kill it which was easy.

The Cave part I hated, and I missed the password to unlock it from beggining so that's a set back. I'm stuck on this level now no matter how hard I listened or how hard I tryed, I couldn't find my way to the end. I tryed to kill that Hero Ultra thing too but that didn't help since it pops out so fast and kills me in one hit.

Overall I havn't finished it but it's a masterpeice already in my opinion.

Last edited by Death; 07-12-2006 at 08:34 AM.
Death has 1,575 Posts

"Over all people have I surrendered thee the power, only not over this one which has received freedom from Death through the Law"
"And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him."

-Death

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to Death  

Old 07-12-2006

Tuxlar

Well if you need help you're in luck! I've just finished typing up a walkthrough! You can find it on the site. It covers all the chapters, so if you're having trouble feel free to read up. Try to play as much as you can without it, though, as it does contain spoilers.

Old 07-12-2006

BlizzForums spinesheath
Trigger Mathemagician
 spinesheath is unstoppable!spinesheath is unstoppable!spinesheath is unstoppable!spinesheath is unstoppable!spinesheath is unstoppable!spinesheath is unstoppable!spinesheath is unstoppable!spinesheath is unstoppable!spinesheath is unstoppable!spinesheath is unstoppable!spinesheath is unstoppable!

What is the record for the survival mode?

Since there is a thread up about this question: How did you do the burruw detection? Do you try placing a unit too?

Last edited by spinesheath; 07-12-2006 at 12:01 PM.
spinesheath has 1,456 Posts

pm.gif Send a message via ICQ to spinesheath  

Old 07-12-2006

Tuxlar

I got up to 7 minutes in survival mode. Did something stupid and died.

If you reach 10 minutes you get an uber prize. But after that it just continuous indefinitely (or until you die).

Quote:
Since there is a thread up about this question: How did you do the burruw detection? Do you try placing a unit too?
It's an unlocked map, so you can see how I did it in the triggers. I basically just use a pre-placed civ, move a small location (less than 1x1) over the defiler, and then check if the civ is in it. If not, then the defiler is not burrowed. If so, then it is.

Move the civ back after you run the check (whether its in the location or not), and repeat every trigger loop.

Old 07-12-2006

Tuxlar

Update: Check the news page on the site. I just added the 'source code' for Rush (if you'd call it that ).

Old 07-12-2006

BlizzForums spinesheath
Trigger Mathemagician
 spinesheath is unstoppable!spinesheath is unstoppable!spinesheath is unstoppable!spinesheath is unstoppable!spinesheath is unstoppable!spinesheath is unstoppable!spinesheath is unstoppable!spinesheath is unstoppable!spinesheath is unstoppable!spinesheath is unstoppable!spinesheath is unstoppable!

Sure, I already took a glance at your triggers, but it's kinda idiotic to go through 2265 triggers when I can simply ask for it So it's the very same method already mentioned in the thread.
I suppose you check for this all the time; actually I find it surprising that it doesn't hurt pathfinding though you surely removed it in just the next trigger...

Hmm well I reached about 5 minutes in my 7th try or so... so 10 Minutes should be possible

spinesheath has 1,456 Posts

pm.gif Send a message via ICQ to spinesheath  

Old 07-12-2006

United States AFHOF
Permanent Failure

Incase you are looking for hosts: Im hosting it here: http://www.antidom.com/stuff/files/R...ode 1 v1.0.scx

You can MD5 it to double check it.

pm.gif