Warcraft Legacy Starcraft Legacy BlizzForums
The Future?

Go Back   BlizzForums > Games > StarCraft Discussion

StarCraft Discussion StarCraft & Brood War lie herein.

Closed Thread

Old 04-12-2007

Israel MasterBoo
Giant Space Hamster
 MasterBoo is dominating!MasterBoo is dominating!MasterBoo is dominating!MasterBoo is dominating!MasterBoo is dominating!MasterBoo is dominating!MasterBoo is dominating!MasterBoo is dominating!MasterBoo is dominating!MasterBoo is dominating!MasterBoo is dominating!
Exclamation StarCraft 2 - Few minutes left.

BlizzForums' Official StarCraft 2 - Rumors & Truths Thread

Since we all know (Project-less for half a year? Ridiculous!) Blizzard should be announcing something before Q3, this topic was created. It sums up all we know and all the rumors regarding a StarCraft sequel.
  • Blizzard does intend to visit the StarCraft universe in its RTS form, as its FAQ claims: "Although we have not made any announcements and do not have a development or release timeline, we do fully intend to revisit the world of StarCraft on PC at some point in the future".

• Empty Line
  • Blizzard didn't finish the StarCraft story and left many questions open in Brood War, such as the Hybrids. In addition, the company added more questions by releasing Resurrection IV with the StarCraft Nintendo 64 version, the bonus map Deceptions in 2001, and posting random "StarCraft Trivia" question-ads in the Battle.net interface during 2000-2001, such as: "How many sons does Stukov have?" or "Who was infested and brought back to life"?. I couldn't find these ads in Google, if someone does, please PM me.

• Empty Line
  • The domain www.StarCraft2.com is owned by Vivendi Universal Interactive Publishing North America, the parent company of Blizzard Entertainment. It was bought already in 99' if I'm not mistaken.

• Empty Line
  • Almost 2 years ago, Blizzard representatives started to post various questions in the official StarCraft Discussions forums of Battle.net about "What do you want in a future StarCraft RTS sequel?". I couldn't find the links or the news post in StarCraft Legacy regarding these questions. Please PM if you do have them.

• Empty Line
  • The leaked letter from Mike Morhaime, Blizzard's CEO, which was posted here in BlizzForums 2 years ago. Nobody knows yet if this was a hoax or not. The letter was addressed to Vivendi, regarding problems with a project called: "Vengeance" and it's connection to the fact StarCraft: Ghost was being delayed. The letter was gone with the destruction of the old BlizzForum's archive, although if I remember correctly, it was originally posted on a Korean site (anyway, couldn't trace it).

• Empty Line
  • A year ago, Blizzard hired a famous RTS developer, Dustin Browder, from EA (http://www.blizzplanet.com/news/893/). In addition, Blizzard posts job-request for RTS developers and various editors in the RTS field in August 2006, to work "With the team that created StarCraft and the WarCraft games. More information about the hiring of RTS developers: http://www.gamespot.com/news/6155152.html.

• Empty Line
  • The fact that Blizzard has an "unemployed" team since the release of The Frozen Throne in 2002. Blizzard currently has 4 working-teams: The RTS team, The WoW team, The ex-Blizzard North team and the Console Team (AKA Swinging Ape Studios). I refuse to believe the whole RTS team helped in the development of WoW, though I do believe some of them did. I also believe both the console team and the Blizzard North team are working for a sequel to Diablo (For consoles and the PC. As an example, here's a short part from an interview with Bill Roper on September 2002:
    The work on StarCraft: Ghost doesn’t impact the World of WarCraft team. It doesn’t impact what the WarCraft III team is doing next. It doesn’t preclude us from doing anything else in the StarCraft universe. We certainly don’t see StarCraft: Ghost as being something that replaced StarCraft II. It’s just as likely that StarCraft II will be released at the same time as Ghost. We had two Warcraft teams working at the same time. I think it’s a difficult thing to look at. We even see big assumptions based on our web site. We’ll pull something off and people will go, "Oh my God, they pulled material from the web site. Now the game is being delayed!"

• Empty Line
  • Various interviews with Blizzard employees over the last year who claimed that "StarCraft is their favorite game and they will be the happiest people alive when it's announced". The most known of these is Itzik Ben-Basat's announcment on The Burning Crusade release-party in London (January 16th, 2007): "We'd like to say to our fans of Diablo and StarCraft that we haven't forgotten we have these franchises," he said. "We cannot wait to be here in a few years, or however long it will be. It won't be a decade, and we'll be celebrating the launch of [the next] StarCraft together". People in the crowd said that when he said this, the other Blizzard representatives looked like a secret is being revealed and felt uncomfortable. More information: http://www.gamespot.com/news/6164196.html.
    Here are some more examples of representatives answers regarding StarCraft 2 over the years:
    Bill Roper, May 2002: StarCraft 2...all rumor. Anything you've heard. We're not working on StarCraft 2. We love StarCraft. We wanna make more games in the StarCraft universe. I'm sure at some point we would obviously do another StarCraft game, but right now we're not working on StarCraft 2. But it's definitely...I'm sure when WarCraft III is done, it'll be on the list of things to talk about.
    Bill Roper, October 2002: Unfortunately for fans of the series, we are still not working on StarCraft II. We know you want it, and you know we want to support the universe and our passionate community. It is something we talk about frequently and fondly and is at the top of the list of games to consider every time a team becomes available.
    I find it important to mention that Bill Roper no longer works for Blizzard. He's now one of the co-founders of Flagship Studios.

• Empty Line
  • The leaked VOIP/Ventrillo conversation regarding the Counter-Strike pro-league, in which, someone who supposes to have connections to the gaming industry is being asked when StarCraft 2 will be released, and replies that Blizzard should announce it by the end of February/beginning of March 2007 (And adds that with Blizzard you can never know for sure...). As I understood, the contents of the discussion about Counter-Strike in the 7 minutes before the StarCraft 2 question were proved to be true, hence the conversation is authentic. More information: http://www.blizzforums.com/showthread.php?t=5451.

• Empty Line
  • The upcoming release of 3 new StarCraft books - "The Dark Templar Trilogy", which might supply background story for a StarCraft sequel. As an example, I'm taking the new book in the Diablo series by Richard A. Knaak, who said he won't write "for a dead franchise". More information: http://blizzplanet.com/news/1257.

• Empty Line
  • Before the scrapping of Ghost (October 2002), GameSpot had conducted a video interview with Nihilistic (The former company which worked on Ghost) designer, Ray Gresko, about the development of StarCraft: Ghost. According to Gresko, one of the main objectives of StarCraft: Ghost is to provide smooth continuity between StarCraft and StarCraft 2.

• Empty Line
  • A Blizzard representative (Paul Sams) mentioned on August 2006 that they have 3 unannounced projects, and they will have "a major product announcment during 2007". More information: http://blizzplanet.com/news/982/.

• Empty Line
  • This time of year is great to announce a new and original RTS. With Supreme Commander and Command & Conqure 3 out, if Blizzard announced StarCraft 2 within the following weeks it might draw lots of RTS fans and create lots of hype. Afterall, both of these games, although they are good and fun, don't add much to the genere (Supreme Commander being a Total Annihilation on a bigger scale, and Command & Conqure 3 plays like the previous games in the series).

• Empty Line
  • Although some of you might think it's awkward, I treat LordofAscension's (current admin of StarCraft Legacy) posts as a rumor. I suspect he does know something, probably some minor details from XG3, the previous SC:L admin. Examples: http://www.blizzforums.com/showthrea...168#post120168, http://www.blizzforums.com/showthrea...706#post129706.

• Empty Line
  • A rumor posted in a Korean community site (www.fighterforum.com) in April. According to it, there are rumors in the industry about the making of StarCraft 2 and a beta released by the end of the year. The new game will have a new race ("The Kerrigan Race") and few new units for each exisiting race. The source added that Blizzard will try to "kill" the existing StarCraft so the sequel will succeed. The source mentioned that this rumor is true, unlike rumors spread in the past about the game, although you got to doubt the rumor about "killing StarCraft", since Blizzard seems to keep supporting StarCraft with the upcoming 1.15 patch and its Custom Leagues feature. More informartion on this rumor: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/view...topic_id=51768.

• Empty Line
  • The latest and hottest information around! May 20th - when Blizzard will hold its 3rd worldwide invitational in the StarCraft "homeland",Seoul, Korea. On April 26th, a Korean site (thisisgame.com - http://www.thisisgame.com/board/view...1&category=102) published an article regarding a possible announcement of StarCraft 2 in the invitational. In short: it includes a response from Blizzard Korea's chairman, who said they will have a game announced on May 19th. It also includes a quote from Blizzard's CEO (which was not published before, so it's not 100% authentic) who said in February 28th, that Blizzard will announce a sequel in the invitational: "At the World Wide Invitational in May, there will be a surprise announcement". For the full translated article: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/view...topic_id=52433.
    Later on, on April 27th, Blizzard sent this mail as a reply for a member of the community named Kotaku: "We do intend to announce a new product at the Worldwide Invitational next month in Korea, and we appreciate the enthusiasm and interest in getting an advance look at what that will be, but players will have to wait until May 19th to find out more. Also, we have a very strong connection with the characters and settings of StarCraft, and we do plan to revisit that universe at some point in the future, but we don't have anything new to announce in that regard at present", thus confirming the rumors.

• Empty Line
  • According to a new rumor from May 5th (http://www.computerandvideogames.com....php?id=163207) posted in www.ComputerAndVideoGames.com, the game that will be announced on May 19th will be a StarCraft MMO. Although much information before contradicts this rumor, this site is cosidered realiable most of the time.

Last edited by MasterBoo; 05-07-2007 at 06:01 AM.
MasterBoo has 2,866 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 04-12-2007

Australia Darkarbiter
Sexy Manchild
 Darkarbiter is dominating!Darkarbiter is dominating!Darkarbiter is dominating!Darkarbiter is dominating!Darkarbiter is dominating!Darkarbiter is dominating!Darkarbiter is dominating!Darkarbiter is dominating!Darkarbiter is dominating!Darkarbiter is dominating!Darkarbiter is dominating!
Default Re: StarCraft 2 - Rumors & Truths

What about that thread where the guy posted "My SC2 cd isnt working plz deliver" and a ton of blizzard employees posted.
I know this is entirely fake but it does tell you the way blizzard employees treat the subject.

pm.gif   

Old 04-12-2007

No country specified. To select a country, go to User CP -> Edit Profile -> Country Gorvprince
Prince of Misery
 Gorvprince is unstoppable!Gorvprince is unstoppable!Gorvprince is unstoppable!Gorvprince is unstoppable!Gorvprince is unstoppable!Gorvprince is unstoppable!Gorvprince is unstoppable!Gorvprince is unstoppable!Gorvprince is unstoppable!Gorvprince is unstoppable!Gorvprince is unstoppable!

Quote:
* The latest rumor around, posted in a Korean community site. According to this, there are rumors in the industry about the making of StarCraft 2 and a beta released by the end of the year. The new game will have a new race ("The Kerrigan Race" (?)) and few new units for each exisiting race. The source mentioned that this rumor is true, unlike rumors spread in the past about the game. More informartion: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/view...topic_id=51768.
this one's very interesting...
thanks for finding them MB.

Gorvprince has 626 Posts

Quote:
Play the 'what if' game and imagine what would happen if you grabbed your chance.

"All I need is to be confident"

pm.gif   

Old 04-12-2007

Israel MasterBoo
Giant Space Hamster
 MasterBoo is dominating!MasterBoo is dominating!MasterBoo is dominating!MasterBoo is dominating!MasterBoo is dominating!MasterBoo is dominating!MasterBoo is dominating!MasterBoo is dominating!MasterBoo is dominating!MasterBoo is dominating!MasterBoo is dominating!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorvprince View Post
this one's very interesting...
thanks for finding them MB.
It's all over the SC news sites in the past week dude! Where have you been? :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkarbiter View Post
What about that thread where the guy posted "My SC2 cd isnt working plz deliver" and a ton of blizzard employees posted.
I know this is entirely fake but it does tell you the way blizzard employees treat the subject.
This has nothing to do with SC2. Just mockery of the usual "WEN WILL SC2 IZ OUT1?!?!?!" question in the B.net forums. Most of the Blizz employees who posted are tech-support only...

pm.gif   

Old 04-12-2007

Bosnia and Herzegovina mgcemir
BF Member
 mgcemir has ascended to greatnessmgcemir has ascended to greatnessmgcemir has ascended to greatnessmgcemir has ascended to greatnessmgcemir has ascended to greatnessmgcemir has ascended to greatnessmgcemir has ascended to greatnessmgcemir has ascended to greatnessmgcemir has ascended to greatnessmgcemir has ascended to greatnessmgcemir has ascended to greatness

great thread man , really sum up all the rumors. but about may 20th , and i may be wrong about this, but i know that alot of pro gamers( or u can say entire korean sc comunity) doesnt want sc2. well maybe "dont want" is a bit harsh but u know what i mean. well as much as i understood the rumors says it wont be so diferent than original sc, but the inital response in korea when they say wer announcing new sc ,wouldnt be like it would in usa or europe couse basicly ppl there dont want it and it could just piss them off. i may be totally off on this but that is just my opinion.

mgcemir has 296 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 04-12-2007

Argentina imarafan
Holas the cat
 imarafan is a name known to allimarafan is a name known to allimarafan is a name known to allimarafan is a name known to allimarafan is a name known to allimarafan is a name known to allimarafan is a name known to allimarafan is a name known to allimarafan is a name known to allimarafan is a name known to allimarafan is a name known to all

HOLAS: (tm)

it's a very interesting opinion o.o

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
the kerrigan race???????? i don't know if i must laught or cry x_x

why kerrigan would have an own race.... she already have's an own race.... she is the queen of the zerg O.o
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

in latin forums... for evoid to flame a very important topic.... they make a topic.... close it... and make another topic about "commentarys about... (topic name)" so the very important information still intact..... and the flame are just away :P

imarafan has 1,361 Posts

I are a cat full of HOLAS...... delivering HOLAS to the world

pm.gif   

Old 04-12-2007

Germany EmperorZorn
BF Member
 EmperorZorn is dominating!EmperorZorn is dominating!EmperorZorn is dominating!EmperorZorn is dominating!EmperorZorn is dominating!EmperorZorn is dominating!EmperorZorn is dominating!EmperorZorn is dominating!EmperorZorn is dominating!EmperorZorn is dominating!EmperorZorn is dominating!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgcemir View Post
great thread man , really sum up all the rumors. but about may 20th , and i may be wrong about this, but i know that alot of pro gamers( or u can say entire korean sc comunity) doesnt want sc2. well maybe "dont want" is a bit harsh but u know what i mean. well as much as i understood the rumors says it wont be so diferent than original sc, but the inital response in korea when they say wer announcing new sc ,wouldnt be like it would in usa or europe couse basicly ppl there dont want it and it could just piss them off. i may be totally off on this but that is just my opinion.

They had almost 10 years to play it !
Thats way more time than other pro-gaming communities (like the C&C community)
get before a new game is released. And if Starcraft 2 appears, that doesnt mean that you cant play Starcraft anymore.

Casual gamers will not fear a release of SC2, because they can always go back to playing SC if they dont like it. Progamers will be scared like little chicken of that idea,
because with a sequel everyone would start at zero given the same chances,
and progamers that were successful at SC might not be as successful at SC2,
thus losing their sponsors and not getting shiny cars and korean girlfriends anymore,
having to look for a real job ;P
Just kidding, but I guess you will understand what I mean.

EmperorZorn has 445 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 04-12-2007

Trinidad and Tobago TwoTimer
Life is GooD :)
 TwoTimer is obviously doing something rightTwoTimer is obviously doing something rightTwoTimer is obviously doing something rightTwoTimer is obviously doing something rightTwoTimer is obviously doing something rightTwoTimer is obviously doing something rightTwoTimer is obviously doing something rightTwoTimer is obviously doing something rightTwoTimer is obviously doing something rightTwoTimer is obviously doing something rightTwoTimer is obviously doing something right

The thing with threads like these is they must be closed. Having comments on them makes them like any other thread, whether stuck or not. But I do see why you did it, hoping that someone else here will come forward with information you may have missed. But after a while, something like this must be closed and stuck, like an official piece of info, instead of a continous work in progress.

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to TwoTimer  

Old 04-12-2007

Israel MasterBoo
Giant Space Hamster

I think that since the overall feeling is that "It's going to be announced" soon requires a thread like this open, otherwise people starts opening threads like maniacs about the same topic. The last thread got spammed to oblivion specially because of the April 1st disappointment, so I don't see it as an example. Nevertheless, if people will lose control this will be closed until more news come.

pm.gif   

Old 04-12-2007

United States Kassad
Serenity Now
 Kassad has become enlightenedKassad has become enlightenedKassad has become enlightenedKassad has become enlightenedKassad has become enlightenedKassad has become enlightenedKassad has become enlightenedKassad has become enlightenedKassad has become enlightenedKassad has become enlightenedKassad has become enlightened

I don't understand what Kerrigan Race means. Does it mean a race of Terran/Zerg Hybrids, or a sect of Zerg that Kerrigan has enslaved?

Kassad has 5,080 Posts

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to Kassad  

Old 04-12-2007

Germany EmperorZorn
BF Member
 EmperorZorn is dominating!EmperorZorn is dominating!EmperorZorn is dominating!EmperorZorn is dominating!EmperorZorn is dominating!EmperorZorn is dominating!EmperorZorn is dominating!EmperorZorn is dominating!EmperorZorn is dominating!EmperorZorn is dominating!EmperorZorn is dominating!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kassad View Post
I don't understand what Kerrigan Race means. Does it mean a race of Terran/Zerg Hybrids, or a sect of Zerg that Kerrigan has enslaved?
Its still a mystery.
I dont think it referres to the Zerg that Kerrigan has enslaved,
because then it wouldnt be a "new race" since the Zerg already were in the game.
It makes all seem like a prank,
then again we dont know what has happened between SC and SC2,
so maybe SC: Ghost held the answer for that.
But Ghost got discontinued, so we are stuck.

EmperorZorn has 445 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 04-12-2007

United States Kaiser
Ghost Reporting
 Kaiser has a reputation beyond reputeKaiser has a reputation beyond reputeKaiser has a reputation beyond reputeKaiser has a reputation beyond reputeKaiser has a reputation beyond reputeKaiser has a reputation beyond reputeKaiser has a reputation beyond reputeKaiser has a reputation beyond reputeKaiser has a reputation beyond reputeKaiser has a reputation beyond reputeKaiser has a reputation beyond repute

Well Blizzcon was announced, just another date to add if they don't announce Starcfaft 2 at the Korean thing.

Kaiser has 230 Posts

We Want Nova In Starcraft II

[ Starcraft 2 ]

pm.gif   

Old 04-12-2007

Bosnia and Herzegovina mgcemir
BF Member
 mgcemir has ascended to greatnessmgcemir has ascended to greatnessmgcemir has ascended to greatnessmgcemir has ascended to greatnessmgcemir has ascended to greatnessmgcemir has ascended to greatnessmgcemir has ascended to greatnessmgcemir has ascended to greatnessmgcemir has ascended to greatnessmgcemir has ascended to greatnessmgcemir has ascended to greatness

ok now with blizzcon at the door i think we will see same situation as we did with tbc, that means for starters some leaked quote for story or something like that, then same leaked pictures but u wouldnt be able to make it out in full what it is, then u would get some announcment in some exlusive magazine report and by the time blizzcon is about to begin we would basicly know what game did blizzard make for us and they would only expose it in detail with trailers and etc. i may be wrong as always

mgcemir has 296 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 04-12-2007

United States Kassad
Serenity Now
 Kassad has become enlightenedKassad has become enlightenedKassad has become enlightenedKassad has become enlightenedKassad has become enlightenedKassad has become enlightenedKassad has become enlightenedKassad has become enlightenedKassad has become enlightenedKassad has become enlightenedKassad has become enlightened

They won't do the exact same thing with 2 games. We've had rumors, leaked quotes, and all that for years. Believe it when you see it.

To be honest, Blizzard has to get going on announcing some of these projects. They have 3 to announce and 2007 is already 1/3 over.

Kassad has 5,080 Posts

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to Kassad  

Old 04-12-2007

Israel MasterBoo
Giant Space Hamster

Added BlizzCon 2007 to the list.

My belief (Although I was mistaken on April 1st :P): A May 20th announcment (Without much content, mainly the existence of a development on the product, with only short background story, a website, and a few screenshots), while the big information will come in BlizzCon which is only 2.5 months later. Why? Because I strongly believe the convention will be used to announce a WoW add-on, and announcing 2 games at the same time will cause some withdrawal of hype from both games.

pm.gif   
Closed Thread