Warcraft Legacy Starcraft Legacy BlizzForums
The Future?

Go Back   BlizzForums > Games > StarCraft Discussion

StarCraft Discussion StarCraft & Brood War lie herein.

Old 10-29-2006

United States abbismonster
BF Member
 abbismonster is a god among mere mortalsabbismonster is a god among mere mortalsabbismonster is a god among mere mortalsabbismonster is a god among mere mortalsabbismonster is a god among mere mortalsabbismonster is a god among mere mortalsabbismonster is a god among mere mortalsabbismonster is a god among mere mortalsabbismonster is a god among mere mortalsabbismonster is a god among mere mortalsabbismonster is a god among mere mortals
Default starcraft 2: MMORTS?

Since there have been some rumors that blizzard is planning to turn Starcraft into an mmo, do you think its possible its actually being turned into a mmorts. It could easily be set in the aftermath of the brood war, where there is a relative peace. Players would start with a small base, and it would take months to build up to the point where your building fleets of starships rather than small armies of marines or zerglings. There would also have to be alot more units to keep it from being boring at the low level of units, so your not just stuck with marines.
Of course, the issue of pvp is always there. How would it work if you logged out and then were attacked? Well, how it would work is, your base would be located within a pve area, where you would simply attack npc bases and warriors to gain resources, and where you could fight an opponent if you both agreed to it. Then there would be the pvp areas, where you could send your armies out into, to gather rare resources or abandoned technologies. In the pvp area the many valuable things are located, but venturing out there would be dangerous.
This would allow blizzard to keep their monthly fees, while also keeping the rts setting of Starcraft.

pm.gif   

Old 10-29-2006

United States Kassad
Serenity Now
 Kassad has become enlightenedKassad has become enlightenedKassad has become enlightenedKassad has become enlightenedKassad has become enlightenedKassad has become enlightenedKassad has become enlightenedKassad has become enlightenedKassad has become enlightenedKassad has become enlightenedKassad has become enlightened
Default Re: starcraft 2: MMORTS?

Wow has completely fucked the storyline for the upcoming (Later, not soon fanboys) Warcraft. People have the abilities, and have used them, to kill Thrall and Tyrande. Main characters. In Wow, they can revive, but it your Starcraft MMO, they can't.

Plus, how do you play Zerg? What about Tanks and Vultures? It's a terrible idea that would take a very long to to make.

Kassad has 5,080 Posts

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to Kassad  

Old 10-29-2006

No country specified. To select a country, go to User CP -> Edit Profile -> Country Kingreaper
 Kingreaper is an unknown quantity at this point

Mm, it'd be easy enough to make the SC MMORTS not involve any main characters in any attackable situation.

And remember, this is an MMORTS not an MMORPG.

That said, it would still feck up the storyline unless it ewas something that happenned post SC2, because currently the build-up just isn't there for that sort of battle over one planet or one system. But it could be with a bit of a good SC2 storyline.

Kingreaper has 1,949 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 10-29-2006

Canada InRage
Thrashing
 InRage is unstoppable!InRage is unstoppable!InRage is unstoppable!InRage is unstoppable!InRage is unstoppable!InRage is unstoppable!InRage is unstoppable!InRage is unstoppable!InRage is unstoppable!InRage is unstoppable!InRage is unstoppable!

MMO would make it so confusing because stuff can happen that normally just doesn't like Kassad said.

InRage has 3,002 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doombringer64
Caution the sarcasm served here is hot. In fact it is heated over geothermic vents, so if you burn yourself you'll probably die, but more importantly it's your own damn fault.
The one formerly known as Inrage

pm.gif  Send a message via MSN to InRage  

Old 10-29-2006

United States UED Special Ops
BF Vet
 UED Special Ops has become enlightenedUED Special Ops has become enlightenedUED Special Ops has become enlightenedUED Special Ops has become enlightenedUED Special Ops has become enlightenedUED Special Ops has become enlightenedUED Special Ops has become enlightenedUED Special Ops has become enlightenedUED Special Ops has become enlightenedUED Special Ops has become enlightenedUED Special Ops has become enlightened

Eh, I really would not like SC2 to be an MMORTS. It would be quite boring if it took months to get the upper tech and how would the story continue? I just don't see it happening.

UED Special Ops has 4,775 Posts

06-27-06: The date that BF returned!!

pm.gif   

Old 10-29-2006

United States Ranre
No
 Ranre has much to be proud ofRanre has much to be proud ofRanre has much to be proud ofRanre has much to be proud ofRanre has much to be proud ofRanre has much to be proud ofRanre has much to be proud ofRanre has much to be proud ofRanre has much to be proud of

I think SC2 should be its own game, like the rest of the Starcrafts an RTS. Then whatever your thinking abbis should be a completely different game, like WoW! I remember discussing the possibilities of a Starcraft MMORPG and it seemed pretty do-able. JUst the money and resources Billzard would have to pour into it isnt something they are willing to just throw away so easily.

Ranre has 2,472 Posts

Thanks to ByDesign for Siggy

pm.gif   

Old 10-29-2006

United States Proceri
Rabble Rabble Rabble!!
 Proceri is a splendid one to beholdProceri is a splendid one to beholdProceri is a splendid one to beholdProceri is a splendid one to beholdProceri is a splendid one to beholdProceri is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Ust the money and resources Billzard would have to pour into it isnt something they are willing to just throw away so easily.
I think it's more something to do with...creating competition.... with themselves..not resources.. WoW pulls in them so much.. and without WoW...well they just did it so them not having resources isn't really a factor.

Anyway, a MMORTS could be done. It would just have to be very different from everything else. I'd set it up similar to the text based game Cyber Nations.(Obviously Graphical, very graphical).
You enter the world with your nation, you pick a planet somewhere out in the universe. There can be multiple people on that planet, it doesn't matter....each game is isolated from all others(Basically 2 people on the same planets means they will not see eachother. There games are seperated).

Each nation has a strength based on how good it is. You can only attack other nations near your strength level.

There would be events that would happen every so often that could cause decreases in certain aspects in your army, increases, etc...

When your attacking, you would be able to take a certain amount of troops with you of varied sorts. You'd be able to take your drones\probes\scv's to build. If you win the battle then you take a piece of that planet, increasing your land. If you keep at war and manage to kill the player you will have a new planet to focus your resources on. You will only be able to attack players that are currenty playing. Increasing in size will help your economy. Leaving the battle is a surrender.

When your defending you would be able to see what the attacker is coming with, your planets defense would be built out-of-battle. As in you construct it before hand. If you loose the battle you actually loose your economy will be hurt. The deeper the attack is into the main base.the worse the economy hurt is.

Multiple people can attack a nation at once, however the defending nations strength must be high enough to handle both nations. Other nations may come to AID the defending nation at any time during the battle, as long as there nation strength is below\near that of the defending nation.

There could be a 3 v 3 v 3 on a single defending nation.

To be able to increase MAX army size\land size\army experience\economy\Get Unique Units. You can get multiple nations in a co-op for the story, the enemys strengh and playing field size would increase to support the extra players.

Raids. There would be some insanely huge worlds that no player can go on. It is for raiding. A bunch of nations(like 40) would all gather togeather and attack one of these planets. Very bandwidth intensive if you actually did do 40.

There would be other planets that nations could attack for experience basically.

There would be arena's where two nations can fight off of there own worlds.

Thats off the top of my head.

Proceri has 557 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 10-30-2006

United States Ranre
No
 Ranre has much to be proud ofRanre has much to be proud ofRanre has much to be proud ofRanre has much to be proud ofRanre has much to be proud ofRanre has much to be proud ofRanre has much to be proud ofRanre has much to be proud ofRanre has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proceri
I think it's more something to do with...creating competition.... with themselves..not resources.. WoW pulls in them so much.. and without WoW...well they just did it so them not having resources isn't really a factor.
Quote:
Anyway, a MMORTS could be done. It would just have to be very different from everything else. I'd set it up similar to the text based game Cyber Nations.
Your contradicting yourself. When any MMO is made they need resources. They would need People to maintain the servers, they would need equipment for the servers, and they would need a devolpment team to create new ideas. The Team on World of Warcraft is large enough as is, and takes up a large protion of Blizzards Employment list. Creating one just as large for a Starcraft MMORTS would cost a lot of money, needless to say everything I just listed would also come out of Blizzards pocket, that and the Money they need to Pay SOE monthly is making their eyes water as is.

Ranre has 2,472 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 10-30-2006

No country specified. To select a country, go to User CP -> Edit Profile -> Country LuRKeR
Marines look cool
 LuRKeR is an unknown quantity at this point

perhaps they can make it like BF2, its pretty cool but thats not really mmorts, though it would be pretty cool, a marine, medic, ghost, firebat, ehh scv etc

LuRKeR has 123 Posts

pm.gif  Send a message via MSN to LuRKeR  

Old 10-30-2006

United States Ranre
No

I hope they dont make it like Battlefield 2. If they did Im sure people would be dissapointed and loose faith in Blizzard, as Battlefield 2, while successful, is not something the starcraft universe needs. That and Battlefield 2 (Along with Battlefield 2142) has more bugs then a forrest, so I PRAY to God they dont make it like BF2.

Ranre has 2,472 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 10-30-2006

United States Bullet2head
The Hammer of Dawn
 Bullet2head IS THE KING OF THE WORLD!!!Bullet2head IS THE KING OF THE WORLD!!!Bullet2head IS THE KING OF THE WORLD!!!Bullet2head IS THE KING OF THE WORLD!!!Bullet2head IS THE KING OF THE WORLD!!!Bullet2head IS THE KING OF THE WORLD!!!Bullet2head IS THE KING OF THE WORLD!!!Bullet2head IS THE KING OF THE WORLD!!!Bullet2head IS THE KING OF THE WORLD!!!Bullet2head IS THE KING OF THE WORLD!!!Bullet2head IS THE KING OF THE WORLD!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kassad View Post
Wow has completely fucked the storyline for the upcoming (Later, not soon fanboys) Warcraft. People have the abilities, and have used them, to kill Thrall and Tyrande. Main characters. In Wow, they can revive, but it your Starcraft MMO, they can't.

Plus, how do you play Zerg? What about Tanks and Vultures? It's a terrible idea that would take a very long to to make.
I try never to agree with Kassad, but alas I do. Bad idea.

Bullet2head has 12,009 Posts

Thanks Bliss for the sig!
Spoiler (highlight to reveal text)
Haha you looked. Fag

pm.gif   

Old 11-02-2006

United States Jolly Roger
Viking Pilot
 Jolly Roger is on a distinguished road

What rumors? I never heard any rumors about a Starcraft MMO, that screen i posted was a fake. By the way i agree with bullet and kassad. Personally I love the idea of a starcraft action game like ghost or something, but an MMO would be awful, there is NO good way to do it. Now a first person shooter where I can be a marine, customize my armor, OD on stimpacks, and rush down the ramp of a dropship howling like an animal guns a blazing... that would be literally the best game in the history of ever.

Jolly Roger has 451 Posts

Not a psychic, can't drive a tank, kicked out of the Marine Corps...
That leaves SCV and Pirate, and I hate harvesting...

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to Jolly Roger Send a message via Yahoo to Jolly Roger 

Old 11-02-2006

United States Proceri
Rabble Rabble Rabble!!
 Proceri is a splendid one to beholdProceri is a splendid one to beholdProceri is a splendid one to beholdProceri is a splendid one to beholdProceri is a splendid one to beholdProceri is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Your contradicting yourself. When any MMO is made they need resources. They would need People to maintain the servers, they would need equipment for the servers, and they would need a devolpment team to create new ideas. The Team on World of Warcraft is large enough as is, and takes up a large protion of Blizzards Employment list. Creating one just as large for a Starcraft MMORTS would cost a lot of money, needless to say everything I just listed would also come out of Blizzards pocket, that and the Money they need to Pay SOE monthly is making their eyes water as is.
You completely misread what I was saying.
I know a MMO needs resources, trust me i've written out why probably 10x more than you have. And I never contradicted myself. The "MMORTS could be done", considering this is what you were refering to was not saying "Blizzard could do an MMORTS", but the fact is an MMORTS has never really been or made that well before. I was simply stating that yeah an MMORTS could be created quite well.

And:
Trust me while they have to pay alot to keep WoW going, they still make an incredible income. Even paying there nice sum of fee's to there employes they probably pull in 15 - 30 million a year if not a lot more. Trust me, they are pulling off 4 projects right now(1 expansion, 3 unannounced). They definently have a lot of resources backing them.

Last edited by Proceri; 11-02-2006 at 06:53 PM.
Proceri has 557 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 11-02-2006

United States Kassad
Serenity Now
 Kassad has become enlightenedKassad has become enlightenedKassad has become enlightenedKassad has become enlightenedKassad has become enlightenedKassad has become enlightenedKassad has become enlightenedKassad has become enlightenedKassad has become enlightenedKassad has become enlightenedKassad has become enlightened

Zerg would basically have to be like the Naga. Unplayable. There's no way you could pull off a Zerg race right in an MMO.

Kassad has 5,080 Posts

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to Kassad  

Old 11-02-2006

United States Ranre
No

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proceli
Trust me while they have to pay alot to keep WoW going, they still make an incredible income. Even paying there nice sum of fee's to there employes they probably pull in 15 - 30 million a year if not a lot more. Trust me, they are pulling off 4 projects right now(1 expansion, 3 unannounced). They definently have a lot of resources backing them.
Yeah they have a lot of resources, for WoW that is. If they attempted another Project right now, and it was a completely new MMO then their budget would go ape-shit faster the R. Kelly Chases Teenage girls. Its a good thing they had SOE to help them with their budget problems, but they are really asking SOE to bear the weight they are forcing them to take. I dont doubt a MMORTS could be made by Blizzard, just not right now while they are pouring their budget into WoW trying to make everything just right for it. In a year or so, when they (doubtably) hold back on some of the WoW projects, then like I said in my first post it could be do-able.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proceli
I was simply stating that yeah an MMORTS could be created quite well.
Thats what I was trying to get at Proceli.

Ranre has 2,472 Posts

pm.gif