Warcraft Legacy Starcraft Legacy BlizzForums
The Future?

Go Back   BlizzForums > Games > StarCraft Discussion

StarCraft Discussion StarCraft & Brood War lie herein.

Closed Thread

Old 02-04-2009

United States Zergums
Eating a Raw Dripping Ham
 Zergums simply pwnsZergums simply pwnsZergums simply pwnsZergums simply pwnsZergums simply pwnsZergums simply pwnsZergums simply pwnsZergums simply pwnsZergums simply pwnsZergums simply pwnsZergums simply pwns
Default Dawn of War 2 Not the Holy Grail REVIEW

PC Gamer gives DoW2 an 86, which to me is a score that doesn't warrant a buy. Usually these games aren't of the highest quality, the industry has seemed to lower the standards.

http://www.gametab.com/news/2875804/

DOW2 was supposed to be a fierce competitor/alternative to SC2, and interested many SC2 fans.
I'm hoping we get better with SC2

Zergums has 1,504 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 02-04-2009

United States Nicol Bolas
BF Member
 Nicol Bolas has been here far, far too longNicol Bolas has been here far, far too longNicol Bolas has been here far, far too longNicol Bolas has been here far, far too longNicol Bolas has been here far, far too longNicol Bolas has been here far, far too longNicol Bolas has been here far, far too longNicol Bolas has been here far, far too longNicol Bolas has been here far, far too longNicol Bolas has been here far, far too longNicol Bolas has been here far, far too long

Quote:
which to me is a score that doesn't warrant a buy
There is nothing I hate more about the videogame reviewing industry that this stupid score crap. Every site does it differently, and they all mean entirely different things based on that. In short, basing your game buying decisions on a score rather than the actual review itself is magnificently silly.

Quote:
DOW2 was supposed to be a fierce competitor/alternative to SC2, and interested many SC2 fans.
Was it? I wasn't aware of that. I was under the impression that the two games were basically at opposite ends of the RTS spectrum.

Quote:
I'm hoping we get better with SC2
I wouldn't. SC2 is not the kind of game that's going to review well. Not on the strength of the multiplayer, at any rate.

"I still haven't heard a reason why clicks spent overcoming interface limitations to build troops are somehow more indicative of skill than clicks spent maneuvering units and using abilities." - SpiderBrigade

pm.gif   

Old 02-04-2009

Canada WolfGangGrimmer
UnitedEarthDirectorate
 WolfGangGrimmer has ascended to greatnessWolfGangGrimmer has ascended to greatnessWolfGangGrimmer has ascended to greatnessWolfGangGrimmer has ascended to greatnessWolfGangGrimmer has ascended to greatnessWolfGangGrimmer has ascended to greatnessWolfGangGrimmer has ascended to greatnessWolfGangGrimmer has ascended to greatnessWolfGangGrimmer has ascended to greatnessWolfGangGrimmer has ascended to greatnessWolfGangGrimmer has ascended to greatness

Really? Because on the gamefaqs boards a bunch of butthurt DoW2 fanboys (after seeing the reviews) targeted SC2, and kept saying, OMG SC2 is going to get liek a 10/10 because it has the name Starcraft liek even though Blizzard is doing nothing new!!!!!

WolfGangGrimmer has 629 Posts

..... There is only the divinity of mankind. Kill all Xenomorphs.
Hydra-owned

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to WolfGangGrimmer  

Old 02-04-2009

Slovenia Caine
BF Member
 Caine has ascended to greatnessCaine has ascended to greatnessCaine has ascended to greatnessCaine has ascended to greatnessCaine has ascended to greatnessCaine has ascended to greatnessCaine has ascended to greatnessCaine has ascended to greatnessCaine has ascended to greatnessCaine has ascended to greatnessCaine has ascended to greatness

Quote:
His biggest complaints about the game were a lack of mission variety and that certain game elements were not explained well. He had high praise for the RTS multiplayer mode, graphics, co-op mode and the "fast-paced tactical gameplay"
don't know about you, but I kinda don't really care about SP in RTS games, even WC3 and SC SP was boring for me, along with a preaty generic story, kinda only played it so I can watch the CGI, same with RA3 CnC3 etc, I played it to see the movies betwen the missions, if a game makes you have more fun during the movies instead of the actual gameplay it kinda failed in the SP department. The only RTS I actualy liked the SP was Battle Realms for some reason.

besides reviews are one guys opinion, a french magazine who is aperently very critical to everything gave DoW2 SP 9/10, so...

I am buying it for the MP, maybe I'll like the SP too, probably not. For others? Well there will be a demo iirc

pm.gif   

Old 02-04-2009

Canada DemolitionSquid
TestosterOWNAGE
 DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...

Trust reviews like you trust ex-president Bush.

DemolitionSquid has 7,740 Posts

pm.gif  Send a message via MSN to DemolitionSquid  

Old 02-04-2009

United States Zergums
 Zergums simply pwnsZergums simply pwnsZergums simply pwnsZergums simply pwnsZergums simply pwnsZergums simply pwnsZergums simply pwnsZergums simply pwnsZergums simply pwnsZergums simply pwnsZergums simply pwns

Look, DOW2 sure it has good multiplayer. I agree, so did Company of Heroes. But lets enter the realm of reality. CoH at launch MP was good, but there was nothing down for long term. You can't MP with the game anymore. I can't even imagine comparing any MP to battle.net's long term capability. SC still has multi.. that's not normal.
Empowering the user to create content is the solution for long term viability and endless creativity such as DoA.

I've played DOW2 multi, it's much weaker than CoH's.
Few units, no long term battles, the skirmishers are short and in essence are basically the same.

However you don't see meaningful micro, even micro itself to change the outcome of even the smallest battle. It's amazing how on such a small sclae you don't see that.
Only micro in this game is Eldar teleporting (only 1 unit 2 heroes)
and certain heroes, which they aren't really microers, (tanks and builders)

Zergums has 1,504 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 02-04-2009

United States Crazy_Jonny
I'm Game...
 Crazy_Jonny is a name known to allCrazy_Jonny is a name known to allCrazy_Jonny is a name known to allCrazy_Jonny is a name known to allCrazy_Jonny is a name known to allCrazy_Jonny is a name known to allCrazy_Jonny is a name known to allCrazy_Jonny is a name known to allCrazy_Jonny is a name known to allCrazy_Jonny is a name known to allCrazy_Jonny is a name known to all

In all my years of gaming, and reviewing in my spare time, Ive found the best game reviewer is yourself. If you are looking for a good opinions though, don't go with the popular sites. Its good to hear their imput sometimes, but these days alot of companies pay people to give good scores on their games, and reviewers decide to be biased and nitpick.

Also, read the review and see what their complaints are, they might not be complaints that will bother your purchase. Although I do occasionally use review sites as a guide, I rarely let them decide my purchase.

Also, 86/100 by todays standard is actually pretty good, although it might be lower than what DoW2 was aiming for.

Crazy_Jonny has 632 Posts

StarCraft II Trilogy = 1 game + 2 expansions, not so hard right?

pm.gif   

Old 02-04-2009

Poland spychi
Twilight Spychi
 spychi might just love this place a little bit too muchspychi might just love this place a little bit too muchspychi might just love this place a little bit too muchspychi might just love this place a little bit too muchspychi might just love this place a little bit too muchspychi might just love this place a little bit too muchspychi might just love this place a little bit too muchspychi might just love this place a little bit too muchspychi might just love this place a little bit too muchspychi might just love this place a little bit too muchspychi might just love this place a little bit too much

DoW2 beta is fucking fun, not sure about the final product, but I will purchase it. I'm not aware of the story in Dawn of War but I'm going for it.
I think from what I saw so far the game is worthy.

spychi has 3,254 Posts

Hidden Content:

The true epicness of StarCraft, StarCraft 2 and Mass Effect.
Interstella 5555
The 5tory of the 5ecret 5tar 5ystem

pm.gif   

Old 02-04-2009

Australia chief rocka
BF Member
 chief rocka has ascended to greatnesschief rocka has ascended to greatnesschief rocka has ascended to greatnesschief rocka has ascended to greatnesschief rocka has ascended to greatnesschief rocka has ascended to greatnesschief rocka has ascended to greatnesschief rocka has ascended to greatnesschief rocka has ascended to greatnesschief rocka has ascended to greatnesschief rocka has ascended to greatness

not really that surprising, i mean, let's face it, the warhammer 40000 universe is pretty hugely lame. naturally the games are gonna suck too.

i mean, look at this guy. is he meant to be cool? he looks like a moron.

chief rocka has 170 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 02-04-2009

Poland spychi
Twilight Spychi
 spychi might just love this place a little bit too muchspychi might just love this place a little bit too muchspychi might just love this place a little bit too muchspychi might just love this place a little bit too muchspychi might just love this place a little bit too muchspychi might just love this place a little bit too muchspychi might just love this place a little bit too muchspychi might just love this place a little bit too muchspychi might just love this place a little bit too muchspychi might just love this place a little bit too muchspychi might just love this place a little bit too much

It's your opinion but I disagree, the beta is great, I had alot of fun playing it online with friends.
Also if you look at Left4Dead has also something like 88-89/100 rating but it's slot better. If you don't buy game only because of it's low rating than you are making probably a mistake.
As someone said such rating for a game nowadays is quite well.

spychi has 3,254 Posts

Hidden Content:

The true epicness of StarCraft, StarCraft 2 and Mass Effect.
Interstella 5555
The 5tory of the 5ecret 5tar 5ystem

pm.gif   

Old 02-04-2009

Slovenia Caine
BF Member
 Caine has ascended to greatnessCaine has ascended to greatnessCaine has ascended to greatnessCaine has ascended to greatnessCaine has ascended to greatnessCaine has ascended to greatnessCaine has ascended to greatnessCaine has ascended to greatnessCaine has ascended to greatnessCaine has ascended to greatnessCaine has ascended to greatness

Quote:
the warhammer 40000 universe is pretty hugely lame
given the scope of it, that's quite a big generalization

pm.gif   

Old 02-04-2009

Poland spychi
Twilight Spychi

It's your opinion but I disagree, the beta is great, I had alot of fun playing it online with friends.
Also if you Left4Dead has also something like 88-89/100 rating but it's slot better. If you don't buy game only because of it's low rating than you are making probably a mistake.
As someone said such rating for a game nowadays is quite well.

spychi has 3,254 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 02-04-2009

United States Zergums

l4d has 89 rating in metacritic because of a few fringe reviewers, check you'll see.

However PC Gamer the same reviewer (and not a site) reviewed l4d a 94

This is a very reliable source who reviews fairly.

Zergums has 1,504 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 02-04-2009

Ajman planetx
BF Member
 planetx has much to be proud ofplanetx has much to be proud ofplanetx has much to be proud ofplanetx has much to be proud ofplanetx has much to be proud ofplanetx has much to be proud ofplanetx has much to be proud ofplanetx has much to be proud ofplanetx has much to be proud ofplanetx has much to be proud of

The game is good, but not good enough.
Gonna pass on it...

pm.gif   

Old 02-04-2009

United States Admiral Mengsk
 Admiral Mengsk was born to leadAdmiral Mengsk was born to leadAdmiral Mengsk was born to leadAdmiral Mengsk was born to leadAdmiral Mengsk was born to leadAdmiral Mengsk was born to leadAdmiral Mengsk was born to leadAdmiral Mengsk was born to lead

Hold it fellas. Don't bash WH40K. Remember that if not for GW and WH40K we wouldn't have SC in it's current incarnation. SC was originally suppose to be a
WH40K game. DOW 2 may not be the top of the food chain of all RTS games.

pm.gif   
Closed Thread