Warcraft Legacy Starcraft Legacy BlizzForums
The Future?

Go Back   BlizzForums > General Forums > Chit Chat

Chit Chat Your Life, Your Thoughts, Your Nonsense.

Old 11-03-2008

United States The Hawaiian
Ua mau ke ea o ka ʻāina i
 The Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too much
Default We finally did it...

Last night on 20/20 or 60 minutes I saw a program they had. We have finally interfaced the computer and the human brain. The user wears some sort of skull crap and can direct robots with his thoughts alone. The one guy they interviewed was completely paralyzed but able to type words using his thoughts and speak to people. They tried it on a monkey who was able to control a robotic arm and feed himself bananas using only his thoughts. I will get back to you when I can find an internet link.

The Hawaiian has 8,445 Posts

"The Khala awaits me, and though I fear not death, you will not find me easy prey."

pm.gif   

Old 11-03-2008

United States Typhun
Mr. 69 (and counting)
 Typhun must really think internet = serious business...Typhun must really think internet = serious business...Typhun must really think internet = serious business...Typhun must really think internet = serious business...Typhun must really think internet = serious business...Typhun must really think internet = serious business...Typhun must really think internet = serious business...Typhun must really think internet = serious business...Typhun must really think internet = serious business...Typhun must really think internet = serious business...Typhun must really think internet = serious business...

uh, you are way behind. scientists developed something even better than robots a few weeks ago. your news is old news. they are using that same technology in video game devices in 2009, its slated for a Q1/Q2 release, last i heard.

http://io9.com/5063525/an-end-to-par...cle-connectors

there is the latest advances. who needs robots when you can just bypass a broken section of nerves.

or how about synthetic nerves?

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/39895/113/

you have a lot to learn, young padawan. capitalism at its finest.

Typhun has 6,314 Posts

The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No. - Rorschach

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to Typhun Send a message via MSN to Typhun  

Old 11-03-2008

The Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too muchThe Hawaiian might just love this place a little bit too much

Yeah that first link is what the 20/20 program was about. This is awesome.

"The Khala awaits me, and though I fear not death, you will not find me easy prey."

pm.gif   

Old 11-04-2008

Nepal viperjo
Lovable Local Blood God
 viperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshviperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshviperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshviperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshviperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshviperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshviperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshviperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshviperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshviperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshviperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, gosh

Yeah this is several months old, but your enthusiasm is refreshing. I can't wait until they hammer out the kinks in a synthetic muscle project I read about.

viperjo has 5,125 Posts

I've got ham but i'm not a hamster........................... Thanks to Greyscale for this sexy sig!

pm.gif   

Old 11-04-2008

New Zealand MattII
 MattII has been here far, far too longMattII has been here far, far too longMattII has been here far, far too longMattII has been here far, far too longMattII has been here far, far too longMattII has been here far, far too longMattII has been here far, far too longMattII has been here far, far too longMattII has been here far, far too longMattII has been here far, far too longMattII has been here far, far too long

Great stuff, a long way to go before it's much good, but it's going to be cool one day.

pm.gif   

Old 11-05-2008

United States Adovid
 Adovid simply pwnsAdovid simply pwnsAdovid simply pwnsAdovid simply pwnsAdovid simply pwnsAdovid simply pwnsAdovid simply pwnsAdovid simply pwnsAdovid simply pwnsAdovid simply pwnsAdovid simply pwns

Yeah to be able to do this without invasive surgery is great but still there exists the factors of chemical resolution vs the electromagnetic signals. Basically the brain does work with electricity but that is just one bandwidth, the higher resolution comes in the form of chemical communication which is a long way off.

Its basically like looking at a screen of big black dots that represent an image compared to looking at a picture.

"Any clod can have the facts, but having opinions is an art."--
Charles McCabe

pm.gif   

Old 11-05-2008

New Zealand MattII
 MattII has been here far, far too longMattII has been here far, far too longMattII has been here far, far too longMattII has been here far, far too longMattII has been here far, far too longMattII has been here far, far too longMattII has been here far, far too longMattII has been here far, far too longMattII has been here far, far too longMattII has been here far, far too longMattII has been here far, far too long

Hey, it's doing it with brainwaves now rather than musculature twitches, which makes it more widely usable (eg, people with musculature dystrophy and nervous damage can use it too). Of course, this is still at the Wright Brothers stage, but it's a glimpse of what the future could be like (in some aspects). Nor is medicine the only application for it, I'm sure it could be of benefit to industry to industry as well (eg, load-lifter from 'Aliens').

pm.gif   

Old 11-05-2008

Nepal viperjo
Lovable Local Blood God
 viperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshviperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshviperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshviperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshviperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshviperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshviperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshviperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshviperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshviperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshviperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, gosh

Well the wright brothers signaled a start to serious interest in airplanes that got "modern" aircraft in the air in about than twenty years. By forty years the airplane had evolved into a far better and more efficient contraption. I'd say the progress will be a good bit faster now, perhaps we'll see this in earnest use in twenty years where it took almost forty to be widely accepted and used for the airplane.

viperjo has 5,125 Posts

I've got ham but i'm not a hamster........................... Thanks to Greyscale for this sexy sig!

pm.gif   

Old 11-05-2008

Norway TheBB
BF Member
 TheBB has become enlightenedTheBB has become enlightenedTheBB has become enlightenedTheBB has become enlightenedTheBB has become enlightenedTheBB has become enlightenedTheBB has become enlightenedTheBB has become enlightenedTheBB has become enlightenedTheBB has become enlightenedTheBB has become enlightened

I'm interfacing my brain and my computer right now in fact. It runs through the muscle apparatus and some fascinating technological device called a keyboard. Using this, I can make the computer do what I want it to do! Good heavens

Yes I KNOW. It's a JOKE. Just poking fun at the OP's choice of words.

TheBB has 303 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 11-06-2008

Nepal viperjo
Lovable Local Blood God

Feeling a little cheeky today are you BB?

I'm wondering exactly how the brain waves are "translated" into movements. It can't be as simple as a sort of brain activity circuit that has a set of movements keyed in for a set range of brain waves right?

viperjo has 5,125 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 11-06-2008

New Zealand MattII

Given how many sensors there are, I suspect they can detect which precise areas of the brain control such movements. They probably mapped it out years ago with MRIs.

pm.gif   

Old 11-07-2008

Norway TheBB
BF Member
 TheBB has become enlightenedTheBB has become enlightenedTheBB has become enlightenedTheBB has become enlightenedTheBB has become enlightenedTheBB has become enlightenedTheBB has become enlightenedTheBB has become enlightenedTheBB has become enlightenedTheBB has become enlightenedTheBB has become enlightened

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperjo View Post
Feeling a little cheeky today are you BB?
If so, I'm probably always feeling cheeky.

TheBB has 303 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 11-13-2008

United States JT
ur head asplodes
 JT would like to thank all of the little people...JT would like to thank all of the little people...JT would like to thank all of the little people...JT would like to thank all of the little people...JT would like to thank all of the little people...JT would like to thank all of the little people...JT would like to thank all of the little people...JT would like to thank all of the little people...JT would like to thank all of the little people...JT would like to thank all of the little people...JT would like to thank all of the little people...

Will they have this before SC2 comes out?

/seriously, that would be fuckin awesome

JT has 18,012 Posts

Join Clan Blizzforums, the only BF Steam Group!

Equations are more important to me, because politics is for the present, but an equation is something for eternity. -Albert Einstein

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to JT Send a message via MSN to JT  

Old 11-16-2008

United States Adovid
 Adovid simply pwnsAdovid simply pwnsAdovid simply pwnsAdovid simply pwnsAdovid simply pwnsAdovid simply pwnsAdovid simply pwnsAdovid simply pwnsAdovid simply pwnsAdovid simply pwnsAdovid simply pwns

Ultimate strategy, a matter of mind itself, no more caffeine required to twitch your way to victory :P. Grant it, you probably still will use caffeine just to make yourself think faster >.<.

"Any clod can have the facts, but having opinions is an art."--
Charles McCabe

pm.gif   

Old 12-04-2008

I know that an FPS would be completely fucking awesome with this technology.

pm.gif