Warcraft Legacy Starcraft Legacy BlizzForums
The Future?

Go Back   BlizzForums > General Forums > Chit Chat

Chit Chat Your Life, Your Thoughts, Your Nonsense.

Old 03-05-2006

United States brimstone howler
lostmod
 brimstone howler has become enlightenedbrimstone howler has become enlightenedbrimstone howler has become enlightenedbrimstone howler has become enlightenedbrimstone howler has become enlightenedbrimstone howler has become enlightenedbrimstone howler has become enlightenedbrimstone howler has become enlightenedbrimstone howler has become enlightenedbrimstone howler has become enlightenedbrimstone howler has become enlightened
Default book recommendations/BF Literacy League

I dunno how many book readers we have here on BF, but I happen to be one of the likely minority. I really haven't read too many books, outside of the fantasies and science fictions that consumed me as a boy. I've recently come across the works of Ran Prieur, and found some links to other writers through his site. Of course, I'm always open to more suggestions, and was wondering if you guys had any.
I just noticed that book discussion was a part of A&E, so yeah!

brimstone howler has 889 Posts

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to brimstone howler Send a message via MSN to brimstone howler  

Old 03-05-2006

Chile Demon
Subhuman Spacewaster
 Demon did it for teh lulzDemon did it for teh lulzDemon did it for teh lulzDemon did it for teh lulzDemon did it for teh lulzDemon did it for teh lulzDemon did it for teh lulzDemon did it for teh lulzDemon did it for teh lulzDemon did it for teh lulzDemon did it for teh lulz

I dont like reading books, school makes me.

Cold Blood By Truman Capote. Good book and thats alot to say when its coming from me..Seriously go get it.

Ironically, I tend to write books..hehe

Demon has 2,386 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 03-05-2006

United States LordofAscension
Rule Through Vengence
 LordofAscension must really think internet = serious business...LordofAscension must really think internet = serious business...LordofAscension must really think internet = serious business...LordofAscension must really think internet = serious business...LordofAscension must really think internet = serious business...LordofAscension must really think internet = serious business...LordofAscension must really think internet = serious business...LordofAscension must really think internet = serious business...LordofAscension must really think internet = serious business...LordofAscension must really think internet = serious business...LordofAscension must really think internet = serious business...

My Favorite Author? David Eddings... seriously check out his books... *drools*

~LoA

LordofAscension has 6,163 Posts

Beloved.

pm.gif  Send a message via MSN to LordofAscension  

Old 03-05-2006

Belgium Sfinx
Not even close
 Sfinx is unstoppable!Sfinx is unstoppable!Sfinx is unstoppable!Sfinx is unstoppable!Sfinx is unstoppable!Sfinx is unstoppable!Sfinx is unstoppable!Sfinx is unstoppable!Sfinx is unstoppable!Sfinx is unstoppable!Sfinx is unstoppable!

Yep, he's allright. I've gotten into fantasy books as well lately, like George R. Martin, Robert Jordan, Robin Hobb, Peake, ... right now I'm reading everything of Raymond E. Feist.

Sfinx has 7,050 Posts

Somewhere and nowhere.

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to Sfinx Send a message via MSN to Sfinx  

Old 03-05-2006

United States LordofAscension
Rule Through Vengence
 LordofAscension must really think internet = serious business...LordofAscension must really think internet = serious business...LordofAscension must really think internet = serious business...LordofAscension must really think internet = serious business...LordofAscension must really think internet = serious business...LordofAscension must really think internet = serious business...LordofAscension must really think internet = serious business...LordofAscension must really think internet = serious business...LordofAscension must really think internet = serious business...LordofAscension must really think internet = serious business...LordofAscension must really think internet = serious business...

Jordan's alright. Another one you may want to check out is Stephen R. Lawhead's the Pendragon Cycle. Jacqueline Carey is also pretty sweet if you like fantasy political intrigue

~LoA

LordofAscension has 6,163 Posts

Beloved.

pm.gif  Send a message via MSN to LordofAscension  

Old 03-05-2006

Brazil Mucha
The Architect
 Mucha has become enlightenedMucha has become enlightenedMucha has become enlightenedMucha has become enlightenedMucha has become enlightenedMucha has become enlightenedMucha has become enlightenedMucha has become enlightenedMucha has become enlightenedMucha has become enlightenedMucha has become enlightened

I myself am starting to read American and British classics, and I already finished Lord of the Flies. What a fantastic book, absolutely fantastic. This is a must-read for anyone

Now I'm starting up Catcher in the Rye ]:

Mucha has 10,125 Posts

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to Mucha Send a message via MSN to Mucha  

Old 03-06-2006

United States brimstone howler
lostmod
 brimstone howler has become enlightenedbrimstone howler has become enlightenedbrimstone howler has become enlightenedbrimstone howler has become enlightenedbrimstone howler has become enlightenedbrimstone howler has become enlightenedbrimstone howler has become enlightenedbrimstone howler has become enlightenedbrimstone howler has become enlightenedbrimstone howler has become enlightenedbrimstone howler has become enlightened

Hey guys, thanks for the suggestions! I'll be honest, I haven't heard of any of that stuff, except for Lord of The Flies and Catcher in the Rye, but those ARE classics. I haven't read those yet though, and I'd really like to. I'll definitely check some of this stuff out. Thanks! :cheers:

brimstone howler has 889 Posts

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to brimstone howler Send a message via MSN to brimstone howler  

Old 03-06-2006

United States Kaervek
i'm on your wifi.
 Kaervek is made of winKaervek is made of winKaervek is made of winKaervek is made of winKaervek is made of winKaervek is made of winKaervek is made of winKaervek is made of winKaervek is made of winKaervek is made of winKaervek is made of win

Anthem, by Ayn Rand.

It's a nice, short read, and very thought-provoking. One of my favorites, hands down.

Kaervek has 768 Posts

404, savior not found.

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to Kaervek Send a message via MSN to Kaervek  

Old 03-06-2006

Canada warhog
This is bad.
 warhog is a name known to allwarhog is a name known to allwarhog is a name known to allwarhog is a name known to allwarhog is a name known to allwarhog is a name known to allwarhog is a name known to allwarhog is a name known to allwarhog is a name known to allwarhog is a name known to allwarhog is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mucha
Now I'm starting up Catcher in the Rye ]:
Salinger is for whiney pedophiles, no offense. Just because he is one. Catcher was the most annoying book I've ever had to read. Not boring, just annoying.

As far as recommendations go:
Dune, Frank Herbert
Hamlet, Shakespeare
Siddhartha, Hermann Hesse
Die Verwandlung (The Metamorphosis), Franz Kafka

I'm still looking to find time to pick up some Milan Kundera... reading Dante's Divine Comedy as well as a great deal of other things for classes now, so I don't have much time for leisure reading.

pm.gif   

Old 03-06-2006

United States Chaos
Eddie Harris
 Chaos should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshChaos should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshChaos should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshChaos should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshChaos should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshChaos should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshChaos should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshChaos should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshChaos should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshChaos should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshChaos should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, gosh

Quote:
Salinger is for whiney pedophiles, no offense. Just because he is one. Catcher was the most annoying book I've ever had to read. Not boring, just annoying.
it's funny cuz it's true

all holden caulfield needed was someone to slap him in the face and say "grow the fuck up" instead i had to waste two hours to find out that watching his stupid sister ride a carousel made him feel better about life, whatever =/

hunter s. thompson
fear and loathing in las vegas

good book there, at least to see a slightly different writing style.

Chaos has 28,439 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 03-06-2006

Canada warhog
This is bad.
 warhog is a name known to allwarhog is a name known to allwarhog is a name known to allwarhog is a name known to allwarhog is a name known to allwarhog is a name known to allwarhog is a name known to allwarhog is a name known to allwarhog is a name known to allwarhog is a name known to allwarhog is a name known to all

Chaos has got it there... Fear And Loathing is an amazing read. Read it. Then go see the movie.

This is a stupid idea.

pm.gif   

Old 03-07-2006

No country specified. To select a country, go to User CP -> Edit Profile -> Country Sterling Rat
 Sterling Rat doesn't suck

Book Recomendations? cool...

You might be able to tell from the following lists... I read a lot.

From the vaults at Blizzard -
** Moon of the Spider - Richard A Knaak (Diablo)
** Lord of the Clans - Christie Golden (Warcraft)
** Day of the Dragon - Richard A Knaak (Warcraft)
** Cycle of Hatred - Keith R.A. DeCandido (Warcraft)
** War of the Ancients Trilogy - Richard A Knaak (Warcraft)
** Speed of Darkness - Tracy Hickman (Starcraft)

Other Fantasy -
** The Belisarius Books - David Drake and Eric Flint (An Oblique Approach, In the Heart of Darkness, Destiny's Shield, Fortune's Stroke, The Tide of Victory, The Dance of Time)
** The Ellenium & The Tamuli, The Elder Gods series - David Eddings
** Dragonlance books, The Death Gate Cycle - Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman (anything you can get that these two collaborated on will be good)
** The Otherworld, The Chrome Circle, SERRAted Edge, Bedlam's Bard, just about anything else from Mercedes Lackey
** Dark Forces Rizing - Timothy Zahn (Star Wars - the three books that really should be episodes 7, 8 and 9)
** The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams (If you don't like British Humor, pass this one by... it takes a special sense of humor, and if you don't have it, the books suck)
** Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter - Laurell K Hamilton (It started out great, but the last few have kinda stunk)
** The Cleric Quintet - RA Salvatore

Sci-Fi
** Ender's Game - Orson Scott Card (If you have NOT read this book, you must IMMEDIATELY do so, ignoring all other recommendations and suggestions. Take a brief timeout, go buy this book, read it, and then return to whatever else you were doing.)
** Stranger in a Strange Land - Robert Heinlein (Anything from Heinlein is usually good)
** Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? - Phillip Dick (Inspiration for Blade Runner - but don't hold that against it, it's still a good book)
** Neuromancer - William Gibson (BEWARE - you may hate this book. You may love this book. It is the first ever reference to Cyberspace, so if you love it or hate it, at least give it some props.)
** The Demolished Man - (Forgot the Author) - this has NOTHING to do with the movie "Demolition Man"

Action/Suspense/Horror
** The Relic, The Ice Limit, Mount Dragon, Still Life With Crows - Douglas Preston, Lincoln Child - If you like one of these 4, feel free to pick up the others by the same 2 authors, they are all quite good.
** Velocity, Hideaway, Dragon's Tears - Dean Koontz

there are more to list, but i need a break.

Sterling Rat has 33 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 03-07-2006

Netherlands Hunta
Radical
 Hunta is clearly better than youHunta is clearly better than youHunta is clearly better than youHunta is clearly better than youHunta is clearly better than youHunta is clearly better than youHunta is clearly better than youHunta is clearly better than youHunta is clearly better than youHunta is clearly better than youHunta is clearly better than you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sfinx
Yep, he's allright. I've gotten into fantasy books as well lately, like George R. Martin, Robert Jordan, Robin Hobb, Peake, ... right now I'm reading everything of Raymond E. Feist.
What a coincedence, me too! I'm about to finish Shards of a Broken Crown, the last book of the serpentwar saga.

Hunta has 1,063 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 03-08-2006

Belgium Sfinx
Not even close
 Sfinx is unstoppable!Sfinx is unstoppable!Sfinx is unstoppable!Sfinx is unstoppable!Sfinx is unstoppable!Sfinx is unstoppable!Sfinx is unstoppable!Sfinx is unstoppable!Sfinx is unstoppable!Sfinx is unstoppable!Sfinx is unstoppable!

I'm just about to start in Rage of a Demon King, not sure they already translated the last one yet...

Another great fantasy writer, with a profound level of difficulty & style: Steven Erikson. One major issue though, starting from his third book they refused to translate them in dutch because there wasn't enough demand One day I'll try to read them in english, if I am able to find them, that is.

Sfinx has 7,050 Posts

Somewhere and nowhere.

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to Sfinx Send a message via MSN to Sfinx  

Old 03-08-2006

Netherlands Hunta
Radical
 Hunta is clearly better than youHunta is clearly better than youHunta is clearly better than youHunta is clearly better than youHunta is clearly better than youHunta is clearly better than youHunta is clearly better than youHunta is clearly better than youHunta is clearly better than youHunta is clearly better than youHunta is clearly better than you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sfinx
I'm just about to start in Rage of a Demon King, not sure they already translated the last one yet...
I think they did, considering I just read it :P

Hunta has 1,063 Posts

pm.gif