Warcraft Legacy Starcraft Legacy BlizzForums
The Future?

Go Back   BlizzForums > Games > StarCraft Discussion

StarCraft Discussion StarCraft & Brood War lie herein.

Old 04-06-2006

No country specified. To select a country, go to User CP -> Edit Profile -> Country Kryok
Forum Elder
 Kryok is an unknown quantity at this point
Default BlizzSCUMS Project Recruitment Thread

Welcome to the BlizzSCUMS Project Recruitment thread!

This is where members will post their project ideas and recruit other members to work on the project with them. When suggesting a project you must give a brief explanation of the story or goal of the game (story for an RPG, objectives/goals for a defense or any other type of game, generally). Please have a total of at least 2 members before starting a thread for a project. It is suggested, but not necessary, that these members specialize in different departments (one for doing triggers, another for terrain and unit layout and so on).

If you are interested in joining a project you can either post in this thread or PM the project leader. The project leader should keep their post detailing the project updated with members until they decide to create a thread.

This thread is for project recruitment alone. You may only propose a project, ask questions about a project, or join a project here. Any other posts will be deleted. I'll clean this thread of old projects when it gets too big and stuff.

pm.gif   

Old 11-06-2006

BlizzForums spinesheath
Trigger Mathemagician
 spinesheath is unstoppable!spinesheath is unstoppable!spinesheath is unstoppable!spinesheath is unstoppable!spinesheath is unstoppable!spinesheath is unstoppable!spinesheath is unstoppable!spinesheath is unstoppable!spinesheath is unstoppable!spinesheath is unstoppable!spinesheath is unstoppable!
Default Re: BlizzSCUMS Project Recruitment Thread

Ascent of the Children RPG

I guess I'll need some more people in AoC. It may be a little early to post this, actually, but I can refer to this post later, and it does not hurt to do it early.

I want to recruit people for several important positions over the following time (time span not specified ).
The positions are (including set ones):

Project Lead: spinesheath

Storywriter: Hikari
sub: Co-Writers: not set
sub: Correctors: not set

Director: not set

Design Director: not set
sub: Terrainers: not set

Programming/Triggering Director: spinesheath
sub: Triggerers: spinesheath, (add some?)

Sound and Music Director: not set
sub: Sound Designers: not set
sub: Music Designers: not set

Some explanations:
As you probably saw, I am my own sub, being a Triggerer and the Programming Director That's what will be the usual case for Directors. Department Directors may, however, recruit new members to their department (if we get enozgh members )

The "Director" has to keep track ofeveryone's progress and make sure everything fits together. This is a very powerful position, it should also influence Storywriting in terms of practicability.

The Design Director is mostly responsible for terrain and effects (like spells), but he should also work together closely with Sound and Music, so that the combination of design and sond/music creates the perfect ambience. Design Department is mostly bound to the works of Storywriting, but may of course offer suggestions.

The Sounds and Music Director is responsible for the music themes and sond effects in the map. This department influences the quality of the map a lot: Without the correct music, even the best RPG is bad. I know that we have not REALLY many members at BlizzSCUMS that would be good for this department (at least they never said anything). I am toying with the idea of trying to recruit people from outside BlizzSCUMS for this.

Yes, I know that this might sound a little TOO large scaled, but consider that one person can do several jobs

spinesheath has 1,456 Posts

pm.gif Send a message via ICQ to spinesheath  

Old 11-06-2006

Hong Kong DoomGaze
Mr. Postman
 DoomGaze has much to be proud ofDoomGaze has much to be proud ofDoomGaze has much to be proud ofDoomGaze has much to be proud ofDoomGaze has much to be proud ofDoomGaze has much to be proud ofDoomGaze has much to be proud ofDoomGaze has much to be proud ofDoomGaze has much to be proud ofDoomGaze has much to be proud of

I'm willing to apply for co-writer, corrector (proofreader...), and music designer. And maybe terrainer. Ugh, since I lost momentum for CL right now, I might as well do something else for the time being. Or do QotM instead...

DoomGaze has 1,844 Posts

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to DoomGaze  

Old 11-07-2006

BlizzForums spinesheath
Trigger Mathemagician
 spinesheath is unstoppable!spinesheath is unstoppable!spinesheath is unstoppable!spinesheath is unstoppable!spinesheath is unstoppable!spinesheath is unstoppable!spinesheath is unstoppable!spinesheath is unstoppable!spinesheath is unstoppable!spinesheath is unstoppable!spinesheath is unstoppable!

Hey nice I didn't expect you to be willing to join this so soon
Of course I have to clear up things with Hikari first, regarding the co-writer, this is just a rough setup I fixed up. But I guess he'd be happy not to have to do everything on his own^^
Didn't know you were into the musics thing. Nobody ever showed his skills in this, actually... I am completely unexperienced in this, sadly, don't even have a nice cutting tool...
Terrainer was what I expected the most from you But be warned! I expect a high standard. Of course you have tons of time to increase your skills if necessary. Not that I was that good myself, but we will all work together to make this great, or at least I hope so.

Old 11-11-2006

United States DevliN
BlizzSCUMS
 DevliN doesn't suck

I think I'm the resident terrain guy, but I'm no whiz when it comes to "extended terrain" and all that stuff. I can do it, but it takes me a lifetime to make something look good through 1x1 terrain.

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to DevliN  

Old 11-11-2006

BlizzForums spinesheath
Trigger Mathemagician

Damn, database error, have to rewrite everything TT

Hi Devlin

I think it is understanablet that this project won't get anywhere without extended terrain. If you can do thing with ISOM terrain only, ok. But things like houses should not be simple temple walls.
I was working on some terrain samples in the last few days myself. Imo it's all about flexibility. If something doesn't work out nicely, try a different approach. Once you got some basic samples - for example a small house - it won't be that hard to create a bigger area based on it - for example a city.
This is where we profit from working as a team: Everyone tries to get some samples done and then the best are selected and the map is built with those.

Btw, you are our Mac guy, correct? I think I heard you finally are able to do extended terrain on macs, is that true?
Another thing: I am planning to use EUD conditions in some way, BUT: Don't be afraid that the map won'`t be playable on Macs. I will try to use a Mac-detection system, and when there is at least on Mac player in the game, an alternative trigger system (it's only the DWeb-firing system) will be used, that is not as good as the one boosted by EUDs, but not that bad either. I don't know yet if I can get this to work, but I'll try. If not, I probably won't use EUDs for it.

Edit: aww, forgot to tell you why I am writing this thing about EUDs: obviously I need you as a test person

Old 11-11-2006

Hong Kong DoomGaze
Mr. Postman
 DoomGaze has much to be proud ofDoomGaze has much to be proud ofDoomGaze has much to be proud ofDoomGaze has much to be proud ofDoomGaze has much to be proud ofDoomGaze has much to be proud ofDoomGaze has much to be proud ofDoomGaze has much to be proud ofDoomGaze has much to be proud ofDoomGaze has much to be proud of

Haha, always a good idea to have a Mac guy on the team.

And the best way to learn how to do extended terrain is practice. It's a funky idea to practice mapping, but you'll start noticing a certain pattern in which blends work and which ones don't so you don't need to select random tiles off the palette anymore. That's what I learned anyways. So this basically means that this is going to be our primary project for now right?

DoomGaze has 1,844 Posts

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to DoomGaze  

Old 11-11-2006

BlizzForums spinesheath
Trigger Mathemagician

Well, mine it will be most certainly Dunno if you feel the same about it, but I really like already the few parts of the story Hikari wrote so far, and I am certain that I can boost it with an never-done-before battle and stats engine. The replayability - because of the password system - will hopefully add some value as well.
Combined with decent terrain and sounds/music I believe we can create a piece of UMS-art.

I second what you said; one needs practice to become good at extended terrain. But stick to Jungle when practising, as it will be our main tileset to use.And I'd suggest to keep it all in one map and save everything, even if it is not exceptional. Someone else might be able to polish it up. I do the same, and after some time we should exchange our works and everyone try to apply his magic.
Btw, I already created one piece of terrain that I beileve to be really good, and some not-so-bad stuff, as well as some small things and not so good stuff, too. But I won't show it to you too soon, because everyone should try to have his own ideas at first, and not be led by impressions; if you for example see my way of building a "city" (don't just think of cities as we know them, just a place where people could live) on Jungle, you might become influenced