Warcraft Legacy Starcraft Legacy BlizzForums
The Future?

Go Back   BlizzForums > General Forums > Chit Chat

Chit Chat Your Life, Your Thoughts, Your Nonsense.

Old 11-06-2008

Pitcairn Islands o(x_x)o
your majesty
 o(x_x)o has a reputation beyond reputeo(x_x)o has a reputation beyond reputeo(x_x)o has a reputation beyond reputeo(x_x)o has a reputation beyond reputeo(x_x)o has a reputation beyond reputeo(x_x)o has a reputation beyond reputeo(x_x)o has a reputation beyond reputeo(x_x)o has a reputation beyond reputeo(x_x)o has a reputation beyond reputeo(x_x)o has a reputation beyond reputeo(x_x)o has a reputation beyond repute
Default a simulation of "everything"

imagine you had infinite computing power.

imagine you could then create a software that enables you to move around in a 3d environment controlling the arrow keys and the mouse. in a menu, at the right of the screen, there would be a bar (and field to enter specific values) for every physical law, and a bar that regulates the "speed" with wich the simulation runs. then theres a magic key, to "start" the simulation, wich would then start with a bigbang (graphically appealing badaboom). among the bars in the menu at the right side of the screen, there would also be a bar to shrink or grow the "observer", so that he can inspect nano-environments and further observe quarks in a sub-atomic scale, but can then also grow back to super-size, and observe the cosmos in a much much bigger scale.

would this not be the most awesome thing that could possibly be invented EVER?

if i decide to study science i will work towards fulfilling this ultimate goal of every field of science. obviously the computing power we have is a joke, and there would probably be a shitload of physical and technical limitations and blablalba... bu i just tought about it and i figured i would give both my legs and arms .... no not really but it would really be so awesome...

replay evolution ... would the same stuff happen ? where are the random factors ? how critical is the fine-tuning of all the interdependant physical laws ?

have a nice day

o(x_x)o has 541 Posts

=============================================
(s '_' )c___vs___z( '_' a) o(x_X)o o(g_g)o o(T_T)o o(G_L)o

pm.gif   

Old 11-06-2008

No country specified. To select a country, go to User CP -> Edit Profile -> Country Pizza
Pizza
 Pizza is obviously a rep whorePizza is obviously a rep whorePizza is obviously a rep whorePizza is obviously a rep whorePizza is obviously a rep whorePizza is obviously a rep whorePizza is obviously a rep whorePizza is obviously a rep whorePizza is obviously a rep whorePizza is obviously a rep whorePizza is obviously a rep whore

haha are you drunk?

Pizza has 12,834 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 11-07-2008

New Zealand MattII
 MattII has been here far, far too longMattII has been here far, far too longMattII has been here far, far too longMattII has been here far, far too longMattII has been here far, far too longMattII has been here far, far too longMattII has been here far, far too longMattII has been here far, far too longMattII has been here far, far too longMattII has been here far, far too longMattII has been here far, far too long

I imagine so, or at least high on something.

pm.gif   

Old 11-07-2008

Pitcairn Islands o(x_x)o
your majesty
 o(x_x)o has a reputation beyond reputeo(x_x)o has a reputation beyond reputeo(x_x)o has a reputation beyond reputeo(x_x)o has a reputation beyond reputeo(x_x)o has a reputation beyond reputeo(x_x)o has a reputation beyond reputeo(x_x)o has a reputation beyond reputeo(x_x)o has a reputation beyond reputeo(x_x)o has a reputation beyond reputeo(x_x)o has a reputation beyond reputeo(x_x)o has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for the intelligent input

o(x_x)o has 541 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 11-07-2008

No country specified. To select a country, go to User CP -> Edit Profile -> Country Pizza
Pizza
 Pizza is obviously a rep whorePizza is obviously a rep whorePizza is obviously a rep whorePizza is obviously a rep whorePizza is obviously a rep whorePizza is obviously a rep whorePizza is obviously a rep whorePizza is obviously a rep whorePizza is obviously a rep whorePizza is obviously a rep whorePizza is obviously a rep whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by o(x_x)o View Post
ditto

Pizza has 12,834 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 11-07-2008

New Zealand MattII
 MattII has been here far, far too longMattII has been here far, far too longMattII has been here far, far too longMattII has been here far, far too longMattII has been here far, far too longMattII has been here far, far too longMattII has been here far, far too longMattII has been here far, far too longMattII has been here far, far too longMattII has been here far, far too longMattII has been here far, far too long

Quote:
Originally Posted by o(x_x)o View Post
Apply that insult to yourself before you imply it to us, because I frankly don't get what you're trying to say.

pm.gif   

Old 11-10-2008

Australia Noise
Formerly Vangarde
 Noise reigns supremeNoise reigns supremeNoise reigns supremeNoise reigns supremeNoise reigns supremeNoise reigns supremeNoise reigns supremeNoise reigns supremeNoise reigns supremeNoise reigns supremeNoise reigns supreme

I have thought about this as well. At first it seems like you would not be able to simulate the whole universe even if you include all the particles in the universe in your processor, but then I thought about compression methods and now I'm not sure.... Maybe you could compress the data representing the universe in some way like all electrons in a particular state are stored in the same location in memory. You could also skimp on calculating ALL the fundamental physical laws and just stick to the ones that are of significance to us humans.

Another problem you might encounter is space-time. Time itself is not static and I don't know how you could possibly simulate relativistic effects.

EDIT: Before you actually go to programming all the laws of physics you have to actually know what they all are...

Noise has 1,051 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 11-10-2008

Norway TheBB
BF Member
 TheBB has become enlightenedTheBB has become enlightenedTheBB has become enlightenedTheBB has become enlightenedTheBB has become enlightenedTheBB has become enlightenedTheBB has become enlightenedTheBB has become enlightenedTheBB has become enlightenedTheBB has become enlightenedTheBB has become enlightened

Good point. There are not enough particles in the universe from which to build a computer to represent every particle in the universe.

TheBB has 303 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 11-10-2008

Pitcairn Islands o(x_x)o
your majesty

interesting dillemma ^^

o(x_x)o has 541 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 11-10-2008

Pizza

And even if you had enough particles, how do you account for the computer itself in the calculations?

Pizza has 12,834 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 11-10-2008

United States Adovid
 Adovid simply pwnsAdovid simply pwnsAdovid simply pwnsAdovid simply pwnsAdovid simply pwnsAdovid simply pwnsAdovid simply pwnsAdovid simply pwnsAdovid simply pwnsAdovid simply pwnsAdovid simply pwns

We would need a unifying law and there isn't one yet, so there are phenomena that are potentially unaccounted for.

"Any clod can have the facts, but having opinions is an art."--
Charles McCabe

pm.gif   

Old 11-11-2008

Nepal viperjo
Lovable Local Blood God
 viperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshviperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshviperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshviperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshviperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshviperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshviperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshviperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshviperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshviperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, goshviperjo should come up with their own damn reputation titles already, gosh

Come up with a ballpark guesstimate of how many particles you'll be dealing with and fire that puppy up! Besides, whats a few trillion particles between friends huh?

viperjo has 5,125 Posts

I've got ham but i'm not a hamster........................... Thanks to Greyscale for this sexy sig!

pm.gif   

Old 11-11-2008

Australia Noise
Formerly Vangarde
 Noise reigns supremeNoise reigns supremeNoise reigns supremeNoise reigns supremeNoise reigns supremeNoise reigns supremeNoise reigns supremeNoise reigns supremeNoise reigns supremeNoise reigns supremeNoise reigns supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperjo View Post
Come up with a ballpark guesstimate of how many particles you'll be dealing with and fire that puppy up! Besides, whats a few trillion particles between friends huh?
True, just simulate a universe with less particles. The problems I foresee are:
* Handling relativity
* First need to work out what all the laws of physics are

Ok there are only 2, I thought there were more

Noise has 1,051 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 11-13-2008

No country specified. To select a country, go to User CP -> Edit Profile -> Country Cnl.Fatso
t3h ub3r gr4ph1cs 4rt1st
 Cnl.Fatso has a reputation beyond reputeCnl.Fatso has a reputation beyond reputeCnl.Fatso has a reputation beyond reputeCnl.Fatso has a reputation beyond reputeCnl.Fatso has a reputation beyond reputeCnl.Fatso has a reputation beyond reputeCnl.Fatso has a reputation beyond reputeCnl.Fatso has a reputation beyond reputeCnl.Fatso has a reputation beyond reputeCnl.Fatso has a reputation beyond reputeCnl.Fatso has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
And even if you had enough particles, how do you account for the computer itself in the calculations?
You wouldn't have to, you're creating a new universe from scratch with the fundamental laws of physics. If such a computer arises it will do so according to those laws and just take shape in the simulation itself. Perhaps it would also run its own simulation of the universe, in which case you would be running a simulation of a simulation, like emulating an NES game etc.

Yeah, I'd buy that game in a heartbeat.

Cnl.Fatso has 153 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 11-17-2008

Norway TheBB
BF Member
 TheBB has become enlightenedTheBB has become enlightenedTheBB has become enlightenedTheBB has become enlightenedTheBB has become enlightenedTheBB has become enlightenedTheBB has become enlightenedTheBB has become enlightenedTheBB has become enlightenedTheBB has become enlightenedTheBB has become enlightened

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperjo View Post
Besides, whats a few trillion particles between friends huh?
Not enough to make the argument go through, is what it is. Last time I checked, the number of particles in the universe was at 10^80 or so. A trillion is 10^12.

TheBB has 303 Posts

pm.gif