Warcraft Legacy Starcraft Legacy BlizzForums
The Future?

Go Back   BlizzForums > Games > Warcraft Discussion & Strategy

Warcraft Discussion & Strategy Research and Discuss to Win.

Old 10-24-2007

United States Alexander
Pew Pew
 Alexander simply pwnsAlexander simply pwnsAlexander simply pwnsAlexander simply pwnsAlexander simply pwnsAlexander simply pwnsAlexander simply pwnsAlexander simply pwnsAlexander simply pwnsAlexander simply pwnsAlexander simply pwns
Default Are hots important in raid healing?

Of course, heal over time spells have a nice amount of total healing considering their cost. During raids though I always notice paladins on the top of the healing meters and druids on the bottom. During one particular hydross fight I was using renew on my healing target (main tank) the entire time. Normally I heal fairly high, and normally I dont use as many renews as I did that fight. However, I had a horribly low amount of plus healing on the meter by the end. I calculated that if I used at least 20k mana during the fight (probably closer to 25k) that I should have healed way more than the meter read. The problem is that when renew ticks but doesnt heal, it's not counted on the meter. Whenever the MT is being overhealed by 4 healers at the same time renew almost never really ticks. So is it worth the mana? It's like spending 450 mana on 800 heal, when you could just use a flash heal and get a 2k heal for only 470 mana.

This would support the reasoning that paladins dont really heal more than everyone else, but they do have their overheals counted on the meter, whereas hot overhealing is not counted.

Alexander has 1,497 Posts

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to Alexander  

Old 10-24-2007

United States TheRabidDeer
Voting independent
 TheRabidDeer is made of winTheRabidDeer is made of winTheRabidDeer is made of winTheRabidDeer is made of winTheRabidDeer is made of winTheRabidDeer is made of winTheRabidDeer is made of winTheRabidDeer is made of winTheRabidDeer is made of winTheRabidDeer is made of winTheRabidDeer is made of win

Hots are good to keep on the MT, even if it doesnt benefit you on the meters (hey, ProM doesnt help you out on the meter either, but it heals the tank and the tank gets more threat so it owns).

Also, your druids arent doing a good job of healing if they are on the bottom of the meters, they should easily be able to be at the top. They should keep hots on the MT full time, use swiftmends when you want to (or as a rejuv/regrowth is about to run out), toss out lifeblooms to anybody thats not topped off and generally be smart about using your heals.

As for priests and hots, I still say keep a renew up on the tank just because extra hots always help the damage, even if they dont always heal the tank. I wouldnt really bother tossing a renew on other targets except maybe a warlock that needs to life tap.

Take the power from the parties and vote independent in 2008.

pm.gif   

Old 10-24-2007

United States elcapjtk
Moon Administrator
 elcapjtk is unstoppable!elcapjtk is unstoppable!elcapjtk is unstoppable!elcapjtk is unstoppable!elcapjtk is unstoppable!elcapjtk is unstoppable!elcapjtk is unstoppable!elcapjtk is unstoppable!elcapjtk is unstoppable!elcapjtk is unstoppable!elcapjtk is unstoppable!

Good god yes. I see rejuves usually ticking on the mt in raids all the time we're fighting, also helps with warlock lifetapping, or anyone else that has self damage spells :X

elcapjtk has 7,602 Posts

pm.gif Send a message via ICQ to elcapjtk Send a message via AIM to elcapjtk Send a message via MSN to elcapjtk Send a message via Yahoo to elcapjtk 

Old 10-24-2007

United States Rob
For Aiur!
 Rob has become enlightenedRob has become enlightenedRob has become enlightenedRob has become enlightenedRob has become enlightenedRob has become enlightenedRob has become enlightenedRob has become enlightenedRob has become enlightenedRob has become enlightenedRob has become enlightened

Raiding is not about being first on Recount/DamageMeters.

HoTs and direct heals each have a purpose in raiding. HoTs keep those alive taking splash damage, or maybe someone took a DoT, so the HoT cancels that out.

One thing I've noticed is that HoTs are good at keeping multiple people up, but they can't counteract one person getting focused, which is where bigger heals come in.

pm.gif   

Old 10-24-2007

United States Eli
Surgeon General's Warning
 Eli has ascended to greatnessEli has ascended to greatnessEli has ascended to greatnessEli has ascended to greatnessEli has ascended to greatnessEli has ascended to greatnessEli has ascended to greatnessEli has ascended to greatnessEli has ascended to greatnessEli has ascended to greatnessEli has ascended to greatness

DM's that sync, like Recount and SW, are an integral part of raiding solely because it can show who the slackers are. You aren't looking at them to make the top spot most of the time, you're just trying to keep that DPS Drop-off as small as possible.

Eli has 2,112 Posts

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to Eli  

Old 10-24-2007

United States insuranceman
 insuranceman is unstoppable!insuranceman is unstoppable!insuranceman is unstoppable!insuranceman is unstoppable!insuranceman is unstoppable!insuranceman is unstoppable!insuranceman is unstoppable!insuranceman is unstoppable!insuranceman is unstoppable!insuranceman is unstoppable!insuranceman is unstoppable!

I think Gruul is perfect example of a great fight for HOTs. They help keep the main tank alive during silence and just generally help him stay alive during the high growths. Also, they are great for Shatters. Since the MT is so crucial you can just HOT DPS casters after a shatter and then get right back on the MT.

I don't have a healing class but I like HOTs! =P

insuranceman has 5,202 Posts

GO SOOTY GO!

OMFG YOU FOUND MY SECRET SENTENCE!!!!

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to insuranceman  

Old 10-24-2007

Czech Republic Dragon Master
/wrists
 Dragon Master is a god among mere mortalsDragon Master is a god among mere mortalsDragon Master is a god among mere mortalsDragon Master is a god among mere mortalsDragon Master is a god among mere mortalsDragon Master is a god among mere mortalsDragon Master is a god among mere mortalsDragon Master is a god among mere mortalsDragon Master is a god among mere mortalsDragon Master is a god among mere mortalsDragon Master is a god among mere mortals

In order for HoTs to be effective, you have to set up healing for HoTs.

If a druid applies a rejuv on someone at 75% health, and a pally FoLs them, the druid just wasted all that mana.

If you leave certain people for druids and only druids, then HoTs are very effective, especially lifebloom.

With the proper set up druids can easily top healing charts with lifebloom stacks.

Dragon Master has 848 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 10-24-2007

United States Typhun
Mr. 69 (and counting)
 Typhun must really think internet = serious business...Typhun must really think internet = serious business...Typhun must really think internet = serious business...Typhun must really think internet = serious business...Typhun must really think internet = serious business...Typhun must really think internet = serious business...Typhun must really think internet = serious business...Typhun must really think internet = serious business...Typhun must really think internet = serious business...Typhun must really think internet = serious business...Typhun must really think internet = serious business...

Let me tell you this, recently there has been a major shortage of resto druids on dunemaul, and we didn't raid with one for about a month and a half. As the MT of the guild, I noticed my deaths doubled, noticeably without a resto druid in raids. Those HOTs cover the gaps in the direct heals. We picked up a resto druid lately, only with +1000 healing, but I can tell you, even +1000 healing in HOTs made a difference on Magtheridon. A few of the healers in my guild disagree with my insistence on bringing a resto druid, because they said they were doing fien without it. With a resto druid, my gold was sitting at a steady 2000-2500g level, now I am struggling to stay above 1600g because repairs have been so bad.

Typhun has 6,314 Posts

The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No. - Rorschach

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to Typhun Send a message via MSN to Typhun  

Old 10-24-2007

United States Alexander
Pew Pew
 Alexander simply pwnsAlexander simply pwnsAlexander simply pwnsAlexander simply pwnsAlexander simply pwnsAlexander simply pwnsAlexander simply pwnsAlexander simply pwnsAlexander simply pwnsAlexander simply pwnsAlexander simply pwns

Thanks for the input. The lesson I've seem to got from this as a priest is that healing the MT with HoTs (at least with only renew) is kind of mana expensive in a fight where there's never any healing downtime on the tank. However, for healing the dps and other healers, hots do very well.

And of course I know it's not about the meters, but my guild is pretty strict and I dont want them to have yet another reason to be picking on me. They kind of attack problems, which makes us better, but at the same time they bring up things way too much. Like enchanting gear, you cant expect someone to enchant every piece of their gear or increase their unbuffed +healing by a few hundred in like one day. :P

Alexander has 1,497 Posts

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to Alexander  

Old 10-24-2007

United States Exedore
Forum Elder
 Exedore has a brilliant futureExedore has a brilliant futureExedore has a brilliant futureExedore has a brilliant futureExedore has a brilliant futureExedore has a brilliant futureExedore has a brilliant futureExedore has a brilliant futureExedore has a brilliant futureExedore has a brilliant futureExedore has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander
And of course I know it's not about the meters, but my guild is pretty strict and I dont want them to have yet another reason to be picking on me. They kind of attack problems, which makes us better, but at the same time they bring up things way too much.
Meters aren't the be-all, end-all, especially healing. If your paladins are spamming FoL non-stop, they're probably just lazy and cutting into your effectiveness. Good paladins healers have switched to de-ranked HL for most raids, especially once the haste gear starts dropping. But then again, if you beat the fight without problems, who cares?

Quote:
Like enchanting gear, you cant expect someone to enchant every piece of their gear or increase their unbuffed +healing by a few hundred in like one day. :P
Um, any guild that actually makes progress in raiding enforces rules like this. Must have consumables, must gem and enchant gear within a couple days of getting it, etc. And it's not THAT expensive to enchant gear.

Exedore has 752 Posts

Memories that are important to you. Precious memories you can't sweep aside even if you want to.
-- Hoshino Ruri

World of Warcraft: Kirrena - 70 Paladin @ Shattered Hand, Harumi - 70 Warrior @ Shattered Hand

pm.gif Send a message via ICQ to Exedore Send a message via AIM to Exedore  

Old 10-25-2007

United States insuranceman
 insuranceman is unstoppable!insuranceman is unstoppable!insuranceman is unstoppable!insuranceman is unstoppable!insuranceman is unstoppable!insuranceman is unstoppable!insuranceman is unstoppable!insuranceman is unstoppable!insuranceman is unstoppable!insuranceman is unstoppable!insuranceman is unstoppable!

I feel like a idiot if I don't have everything enchanted after a few days....

That's why I make Exedore send me the things I need. =D

No, but really, you should enchant and socket ASAP no matter what. Get a boss to 1% and have the MT die and see how you feel. Goes both ways though... get a boss to 1% when he should have been dead a minute ago and DPS feels bad. Everyone fully enchanted/buffed/socketed FTW!

insuranceman has 5,202 Posts

GO SOOTY GO!

OMFG YOU FOUND MY SECRET SENTENCE!!!!

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to insuranceman  

Old 10-25-2007

United States Typhun
Mr. 69 (and counting)
 Typhun must really think internet = serious business...Typhun must really think internet = serious business...Typhun must really think internet = serious business...Typhun must really think internet = serious business...Typhun must really think internet = serious business...Typhun must really think internet = serious business...Typhun must really think internet = serious business...Typhun must really think internet = serious business...Typhun must really think internet = serious business...Typhun must really think internet = serious business...Typhun must really think internet = serious business...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander View Post
Thanks for the input. The lesson I've seem to got from this as a priest is that healing the MT with HoTs (at least with only renew) is kind of mana expensive in a fight where there's never any healing downtime on the tank. However, for healing the dps and other healers, hots do very well.

And of course I know it's not about the meters, but my guild is pretty strict and I dont want them to have yet another reason to be picking on me. They kind of attack problems, which makes us better, but at the same time they bring up things way too much. Like enchanting gear, you cant expect someone to enchant every piece of their gear or increase their unbuffed +healing by a few hundred in like one day. :P
ya man, if you can afford to raid regularly, you can afford to get your gear enchanted. We help make dents in the enchants though. All the greens we get from the shit we run get DE'd, so you can atleast get yoru arcane dust/essences, and void crystals for free ;p

Typhun has 6,314 Posts

The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No. - Rorschach

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to Typhun Send a message via MSN to Typhun  

Old 10-25-2007

United States Maegtelluma
go celtics?
 Maegtelluma is a god among mere mortalsMaegtelluma is a god among mere mortalsMaegtelluma is a god among mere mortalsMaegtelluma is a god among mere mortalsMaegtelluma is a god among mere mortalsMaegtelluma is a god among mere mortalsMaegtelluma is a god among mere mortalsMaegtelluma is a god among mere mortalsMaegtelluma is a god among mere mortalsMaegtelluma is a god among mere mortalsMaegtelluma is a god among mere mortals

In my old raiding guild, if you knew you were next in line for a big weapon (Dark Edge if you were a warrior, etc.) and you were killing that boss that day, it was expected that you had the enchanting mats on your person ahead of time.

Maegtelluma has 3,872 Posts

"This day we rescue a world from mysticism and tyranny, and usher in a future brighter than anything we could imagine."
70 Paladin

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to Maegtelluma  

Old 10-25-2007

Netherlands Adron
Fel Boar
 Adron is unstoppable!Adron is unstoppable!Adron is unstoppable!Adron is unstoppable!Adron is unstoppable!Adron is unstoppable!Adron is unstoppable!Adron is unstoppable!Adron is unstoppable!Adron is unstoppable!Adron is unstoppable!

i like taking a resto durid on raids when we face boss with either alot of aoe or with a silence of somesorts. Azgalor and bloodboil come into mind.
Throw hots on when ye know or think you attention will be elsewhere for some time.

Adron has 116 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 10-26-2007

United States Demon Child
The Demonic Renegade
 Demon Child has a spectacular aura aboutDemon Child has a spectacular aura aboutDemon Child has a spectacular aura about

As Druid player, I will have to agree that HoT's do actually go a long way in raids. Though I am not entire Resto spec'ed myself, I do bring in my healing gear (mainly the ones with MP5 on them) to assist in keeping up with the resto fo the part in DPS, I also have had to cover for the other healers in assisting in keeping the tank's alive. My guildmates wonder why I almost never go Boomkin during the boss fights and I tell them that going Boomkin actually hinders the full potential of my abilities.

One such instance was during the fight on Gruul we had two of the healers for the tanks get taken out with an unfortunate shatter and I picked up the slack on keeping the MT topped off as another backup DPS Healer would focus on the OT for each Hateful Strike. Needless to say, it was probably the only time I have actually went OOM in a boss fight (during a raid) as I spent the rest of the fight (Gruul was at around 7-10% in health and I had like 2-3k mana at the time with both innervate and pots on cooldown) keeping the MT topped off, but at least I went OOM just as Gruul was downed which was pretty neat.

Demon Child has 147 Posts

I can has signature!

pm.gif