Warcraft Legacy Starcraft Legacy BlizzForums
The Future?

Go Back   BlizzForums > Games > StarCraft Discussion

StarCraft Discussion StarCraft & Brood War lie herein.

Old 06-20-2007

United States 4pool
BF Member
 4pool is a god among mere mortals4pool is a god among mere mortals4pool is a god among mere mortals4pool is a god among mere mortals4pool is a god among mere mortals4pool is a god among mere mortals4pool is a god among mere mortals4pool is a god among mere mortals4pool is a god among mere mortals4pool is a god among mere mortals4pool is a god among mere mortals
Default Starting Minerals

Do you guys think games in SC2 will start the same way as they did in SC1 - that is, 4 workers, 1 cc/hatch/nexus, and only 50 minerals? Or do you guys think Blizz will repeat what they did with WC3 and allow for a faster start with enough minerals to build a few things from the get-go?

pm.gif   

Old 06-20-2007

Afghanistan warrior6
With The Sons Of Korhal
 warrior6 is a name known to allwarrior6 is a name known to allwarrior6 is a name known to allwarrior6 is a name known to allwarrior6 is a name known to allwarrior6 is a name known to allwarrior6 is a name known to allwarrior6 is a name known to allwarrior6 is a name known to allwarrior6 is a name known to allwarrior6 is a name known to all
Default Re: Starting Minerals

from playing warcraft 3 and starcraft, i noticed by the time u got 3-5 footmen and a hero to set out in warcraft, its the same as getting enough zealots, zerglings, marines or w/e...the time difference in terms of getting the game going is not that much different at all + im not so sure anymore but im like 99% sure that the first hero is free...to get 6 zerglings in starcraft takes around 2-3 minutes......same thing to get like a few footmen in warcraft...

warrior6 has 1,421 Posts

STOP BITCHING IN YOUR SIGNATURE
don't add this to your signature if you agree because then you would be bitching in your signature, dumbass

pm.gif   

Old 06-20-2007

Canada rise
StarCraft: Legacy
 rise has become enlightenedrise has become enlightenedrise has become enlightenedrise has become enlightenedrise has become enlightenedrise has become enlightenedrise has become enlightenedrise has become enlightenedrise has become enlightenedrise has become enlightenedrise has become enlightened

I love everything about StarCraft's currently 'early game,' including the beginning economic situation.

rise has 1,926 Posts

Past, Present, Future

pm.gif  Send a message via MSN to rise  

Old 06-20-2007

United States UED Special Ops
BF Vet
 UED Special Ops has become enlightenedUED Special Ops has become enlightenedUED Special Ops has become enlightenedUED Special Ops has become enlightenedUED Special Ops has become enlightenedUED Special Ops has become enlightenedUED Special Ops has become enlightenedUED Special Ops has become enlightenedUED Special Ops has become enlightenedUED Special Ops has become enlightenedUED Special Ops has become enlightened

Meh, I hope that Blizz keeps the start in SC2 the same as in SC1, as in 50 minerals, 4 workers, etc.
There is no need for a faster start, as the gameplay in WC3 will be very different then the gameplay in SC2.

UED Special Ops has 4,775 Posts

06-27-06: The date that BF returned!!

pm.gif   

Old 06-20-2007

Australia Waves
or maybe particles
 Waves is a name known to allWaves is a name known to allWaves is a name known to allWaves is a name known to allWaves is a name known to allWaves is a name known to allWaves is a name known to allWaves is a name known to allWaves is a name known to allWaves is a name known to allWaves is a name known to all

I'd expect the starting units and mineral count to be identical. However we may see some tweaks to the tech trees, build times, and other things. Blizzard has stated that they're looking closely at the early game dynamics, but I would be very surprised to see major changes there.

Waves has 2,550 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 06-20-2007

United States 4pool
BF Member
 4pool is a god among mere mortals4pool is a god among mere mortals4pool is a god among mere mortals4pool is a god among mere mortals4pool is a god among mere mortals4pool is a god among mere mortals4pool is a god among mere mortals4pool is a god among mere mortals4pool is a god among mere mortals4pool is a god among mere mortals4pool is a god among mere mortals

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrior6 View Post
from playing warcraft 3 and starcraft, i noticed by the time u got 3-5 footmen and a hero to set out in warcraft, its the same as getting enough zealots, zerglings, marines or w/e...the time difference in terms of getting the game going is not that much different at all + im not so sure anymore but im like 99% sure that the first hero is free...to get 6 zerglings in starcraft takes around 2-3 minutes......same thing to get like a few footmen in warcraft...
Well, by faster, I meant in comparison to SC1. Also, the only reason why WC3's initial setup isn't faster with the additional minerals is because of how different the economy is (limited gold mining by the workers) and the "wasted" time spent on building the hero building.

I think if Blizzard chooses to start games off with more than 50 minerals, depending on how many minerals we're given, the early game could change noticeably. Not only would some of the initial idle time be eliminated but imagine the potential for new strategies such as opting for a super early expo (I'm a zerg player lol) or a speedy cannon rush.

Though I realize everybody is used to starting out with 50 min and the idle time that comes with it (including myself), I just think that if Blizzard chooses to go about this new route, it would make SC2 a bit more interesting and flavorful.

pm.gif   

Old 06-20-2007

Australia Waves
or maybe particles
 Waves is a name known to allWaves is a name known to allWaves is a name known to allWaves is a name known to allWaves is a name known to allWaves is a name known to allWaves is a name known to allWaves is a name known to allWaves is a name known to allWaves is a name known to allWaves is a name known to all

^ I'm sure they've at least tried it out internally with more starting resources. I'll just be surprised if they decide to go with it.

This might be something the end up playing around with in the beta, if they're seriously considering it. It's hard to predict how something will work until you unleash it on a significant body of players.

Waves has 2,550 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 06-21-2007

Canada Renagade Rine
 Renagade Rine is a jewel in the roughRenagade Rine is a jewel in the roughRenagade Rine is a jewel in the roughRenagade Rine is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by UED Special Ops View Post
Meh, I hope that Blizz keeps the start in SC2 the same as in SC1, as in 50 minerals, 4 workers, etc.
There is no need for a faster start, as the gameplay in WC3 will be very different then the gameplay in SC2.
I agree, every starcraft player should have those first couple of minuites in which he has time to think about alliances, enemies, strategies and just where he is on the map. It is good to have a slow start.

Renagade Rine has 325 Posts

pm.gif  Send a message via MSN to Renagade Rine  

Old 06-21-2007

Trinidad and Tobago TwoTimer
Life is GooD :)
 TwoTimer is obviously doing something rightTwoTimer is obviously doing something rightTwoTimer is obviously doing something rightTwoTimer is obviously doing something rightTwoTimer is obviously doing something rightTwoTimer is obviously doing something rightTwoTimer is obviously doing something rightTwoTimer is obviously doing something rightTwoTimer is obviously doing something rightTwoTimer is obviously doing something rightTwoTimer is obviously doing something right

Tweaking, possbily yes, major changes, obviously not. The premise has been from the getgo to not get away from whatever worked in BW.

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to TwoTimer  

Old 06-21-2007

Canada DemolitionSquid
TestosterOWNAGE
 DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...

I see no reason to alter the 50 minerals, and the 4 starting gatherers. The gatherers should also retain the same health and attack the did in SC1. They are a perfect place to start balancing other units from, right along with lot/ling/rine.

DemolitionSquid has 7,740 Posts

pm.gif  Send a message via MSN to DemolitionSquid  

Old 06-21-2007

United States kameo
Dont you Dare read this!
 kameo has a brilliant futurekameo has a brilliant futurekameo has a brilliant futurekameo has a brilliant futurekameo has a brilliant futurekameo has a brilliant futurekameo has a brilliant futurekameo has a brilliant futurekameo has a brilliant futurekameo has a brilliant futurekameo has a brilliant future

Do you guys wonder if the workers might be differnt then they were before? I'm talking mostly about drones. I noticed they played around with ideas they had in the original alpha. So glich free flying drones anyone?

kameo has 832 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 06-21-2007

Canada DemolitionSquid
TestosterOWNAGE
 DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...DemolitionSquid would like to thank all of the little people...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kameo View Post
Do you guys wonder if the workers might be differnt then they were before? I'm talking mostly about drones. I noticed they played around with ideas they had in the original alpha. So glich free flying drones anyone?
If drones fly, so should SCV's and probes, or it will be imbalanced.
HOWEVER
If the drone were given an evolution (for whatever reason) later in the game, and it lost its ability to mutate into a building but gained flying, that I would be ok with.

DemolitionSquid has 7,740 Posts

pm.gif  Send a message via MSN to DemolitionSquid  

Old 06-21-2007

Italy REDartanis
BF Member
 REDartanis is on a distinguished road

I have to say that again, blizzy wants to make only a few differences from BW to SC2, just graphics, IK system (I mean that allow you to climb cliffs), and new units.

"Notice that StarCraft is still a game where large armies fight against large armies"

Where WC2 was a several vs. several WC3 is TOTALLY DIFFERENT.

So the starting minerals have to change JUST (eg) if a marine cost is different, if you don't get 8 per crystal/vespane, ect...
Remember, in WC2 you get 100 gold in WC3 10...

--------------------------------------------------------EDIT--------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by kameo View Post
I'm just thinkin' why, if toss have those warp technologie, they don't warp minerals/vespane directly in the nexus oO
And why zerg, with their creep, aren't able to absorb minerals and vespane (with a building that could tranform it first). after all creep and buildings are all connected like a unique creature...

Last edited by REDartanis; 06-21-2007 at 01:54 AM.
REDartanis has 365 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 06-21-2007

Australia Waves
or maybe particles

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDartanis View Post
I'm just thinkin' why, if toss have those warp technologie, they don't warp minerals/vespane directly in the nexus oO
And why zerg, with their creep, aren't able to absorb minerals and vespane (with a building that could tranform it first). after all creep and buildings are all connected like a unique creature...
You could argue those materials are too unstable to warp, or something like that.

The real reason is that it's necessary for the gameplay they want. There's no point trying to think logically about the way things work in StarCraft, because it really makes no sense at all. Marines shooting down BattleCruisers, and so on.

Waves has 2,550 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 06-21-2007

United States Caseyjr86
BF Member
 Caseyjr86 is an unknown quantity at this point

I hope they keep it the same, I love the way everything went (early game) for starcraft1. If its faster or slower.. I think it will take getting used to..

pm.gif