Warcraft Legacy Starcraft Legacy BlizzForums
The Future?

Go Back   BlizzForums > Games > StarCraft Discussion

StarCraft Discussion StarCraft & Brood War lie herein.

Old 05-24-2007

Italy 10thNazgul
BF Member
 10thNazgul is a model citizen10thNazgul is a model citizen10thNazgul is a model citizen10thNazgul is a model citizen10thNazgul is a model citizen10thNazgul is a model citizen
Default Re: Nydus Worm Official?

seeing the video, it doesn't seem that the worm works like a nidus canal (where the flow of units from a side to the other could be continue) but it seems that the worm can load some units (as an Overlord) then release them to the targeted location.
The point is: the worm "teleport" itself to the destination spot? or it's burrowed and move from the base to its destination?

pm.gif   

Old 05-24-2007

Canada Psi Warp
Psionic Sequence Initiate
 Psi Warp is made of winPsi Warp is made of winPsi Warp is made of winPsi Warp is made of winPsi Warp is made of winPsi Warp is made of winPsi Warp is made of winPsi Warp is made of winPsi Warp is made of winPsi Warp is made of winPsi Warp is made of win

Ok, what I have come up with seems to make some sense-

The Nydus Worm is mutated from a Drone. When it completes, the entire worm is underground with only the head visible. It then "swallows" the units. It can burrow and relocate somewhere else then "throws up" the units to the battle field.

Cool and just as disgusting as any Zerg behaviour.

-Psi

Psi Warp has 2,280 Posts

pm.gif  Send a message via Yahoo to Psi Warp 

Old 05-24-2007

United States kameo
Dont you Dare read this!
 kameo has a brilliant futurekameo has a brilliant futurekameo has a brilliant futurekameo has a brilliant futurekameo has a brilliant futurekameo has a brilliant futurekameo has a brilliant futurekameo has a brilliant futurekameo has a brilliant futurekameo has a brilliant futurekameo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gradius View Post
And if you want to get really picky then all zerg buildings are plants...not animals.
Plants.....uh...no...in fact nothing like plants apart from being alive. Zerg building are created from drones. an animal, the same thing happens in the insect world..are you telling me a huge birth chamber for Army Ants is a plant?

kameo has 832 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 05-24-2007

United States milesj
www.sc2armory.com
 milesj has much to be proud ofmilesj has much to be proud ofmilesj has much to be proud ofmilesj has much to be proud ofmilesj has much to be proud ofmilesj has much to be proud ofmilesj has much to be proud ofmilesj has much to be proud of

This is how I see the worm:

- Works like an overlord, but has a base spot (where you build or grow it
- It can transport x amount of units to a destination
- Destination is only a certain amount of range (so no going into bases) or
- Destination from one zerg base to another

Full Zerg Unit and Building database
Gameplay Guide / Media / Voting

pm.gif   

Old 05-24-2007

United States kameo
Dont you Dare read this!
 kameo has a brilliant futurekameo has a brilliant futurekameo has a brilliant futurekameo has a brilliant futurekameo has a brilliant futurekameo has a brilliant futurekameo has a brilliant futurekameo has a brilliant futurekameo has a brilliant futurekameo has a brilliant futurekameo has a brilliant future

if protoss can teleport armys into someones base, why cant the zerg come up under it all starship troopers style?

kameo has 832 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 05-24-2007

United States trueblue
BF Member
 trueblue is a splendid one to beholdtrueblue is a splendid one to beholdtrueblue is a splendid one to beholdtrueblue is a splendid one to beholdtrueblue is a splendid one to beholdtrueblue is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by kameo View Post
if protoss can teleport armys into someones base, why cant the zerg come up under it all starship troopers style?
Even the protoss have to get their phase prisms inside and deployed first. Which seems to me like the most likely way the nydus worm will work is like how its been described by some of the posters above.

You create the "base" unit inside your base, and then select a spot for it to "burrow" to and transport units to any spot on the map you can see.

Some things to consider would be if you can redeploy your worm to another location, and if there's a maximum time it can stay in one spot.

pm.gif   

Old 05-24-2007

United States Gradius
For Vengenace
 Gradius is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!Gradius is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!Gradius is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!Gradius is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!Gradius is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!Gradius is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!Gradius is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!Gradius is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!Gradius is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!Gradius is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!Gradius is one BAD motha--SHUTCHOMOUF!

Quote:
first thing im going to do with the nydus worm is unleashed it inside the enemies base... 50 worms out of the ground pouring lings inside the enemies base
Thats kinda like the nydus sneak in original starcrat. But in original starcraft you could only do it on zerg and the canal took time to build...the nydus worm doesnt seem to do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kameo View Post
Plants.....uh...no...in fact nothing like plants apart from being alive. Zerg building are created from drones. an animal, the same thing happens in the insect world..are you telling me a huge birth chamber for Army Ants is a plant?
Ok fine..its not a plant. -,- Christ....but its still not an animal. Its more like an organ.

Gradius has 5,020 Posts

Best StarCraft II Poster 2008 | Best Moderator 2008
Best StarCraft II Poster 2007 Runner Up | Most-Liked StarCraft II Poster 2007

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to Gradius Send a message via MSN to Gradius  

Old 05-24-2007

Canada Alex06
Awesome Beyond Awesome
 Alex06 is a name known to allAlex06 is a name known to allAlex06 is a name known to allAlex06 is a name known to allAlex06 is a name known to allAlex06 is a name known to allAlex06 is a name known to allAlex06 is a name known to allAlex06 is a name known to allAlex06 is a name known to allAlex06 is a name known to all

The Nydus Worm replaces both the Nydus Canal and the Zerg Overlord Transport ability, I believe.

Alex06 has 881 Posts

Kudos to Arkceangel for the avatar and sig!

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to Alex06 Send a message via MSN to Alex06 Send a message via Yahoo to Alex06 

Old 05-25-2007

Canada Dalarsco
BF Member
 Dalarsco has farty pantsDalarsco has farty pantsDalarsco has farty pantsDalarsco has farty pantsDalarsco has farty pantsDalarsco has farty pantsDalarsco has farty pantsDalarsco has farty pantsDalarsco has farty pantsDalarsco has farty pantsDalarsco has farty pants

Quote:
Ok fine..its not a plant. -,- Christ....but its still not an animal. Its more like an organ.
That's what I've always thought. Each building in a Zerg base is an organ, and the base is a body.

pm.gif   

Old 05-25-2007

United States kameo
Dont you Dare read this!

Quote:
Thats kinda like the nydus sneak in original starcrat. But in original starcraft you could only do it on zerg and the canal took time to build...the nydus worm doesnt seem to do that.
Yeah except for the story behind BW, i never understood why the zerg had such a cool tactic that you could only use on other zerg. it seemed that zerg would be evolveing to attack the other races. Also i hope the worms have defencive uses too.one time i took control of the center of a map and supplied a huge defended base supplied with 5 fully functioning expos, and the nydus was invaluable for that. So i hope troops can come back through the worms too.

kameo has 832 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 05-25-2007

Israel Initiative
War Prey Commodore
 Initiative has a brilliant futureInitiative has a brilliant futureInitiative has a brilliant futureInitiative has a brilliant futureInitiative has a brilliant futureInitiative has a brilliant futureInitiative has a brilliant futureInitiative has a brilliant futureInitiative has a brilliant futureInitiative has a brilliant futureInitiative has a brilliant future

I was thinking there is a building Nydus Pit (was in pre-release SC!, IIRC) or something that units go into, and then the building has the ability to send its native Worm to a loction.

Initiative has 162 Posts

pm.gif Send a message via ICQ to Initiative Send a message via MSN to Initiative  

Old 05-25-2007

United States Hymn
Green is the new Black.
 Hymn has ascended to greatnessHymn has ascended to greatnessHymn has ascended to greatnessHymn has ascended to greatnessHymn has ascended to greatnessHymn has ascended to greatnessHymn has ascended to greatnessHymn has ascended to greatnessHymn has ascended to greatnessHymn has ascended to greatnessHymn has ascended to greatness

I think the idea of "Its the replacement for the Nydus Canal" is the best one because Nydus canals were not all that functional back in SC1. You could transport units, but it had no offensive uses.

Hymn has 6,931 Posts

pm.gif  Send a message via MSN to Hymn  

Old 05-25-2007

China AiurTemplar
BF Member
 AiurTemplar has much to be proud ofAiurTemplar has much to be proud ofAiurTemplar has much to be proud ofAiurTemplar has much to be proud ofAiurTemplar has much to be proud ofAiurTemplar has much to be proud ofAiurTemplar has much to be proud ofAiurTemplar has much to be proud ofAiurTemplar has much to be proud of

Yeah it's just like the NOD's unit in Tiberium Sun,It filled with Zerglings and digs to everywhere you want。
Just a joke ^^

AiurTemplar has 30 Posts

Artanis:“This is NOT Warcraft in Space!”
that means“This is C&C in Space!”

pm.gif   

Old 05-25-2007

United States Lurkey
BF Member
 Lurkey is an unknown quantity at this point

The Nydus Worm is probably saposed to replace the Nydus Canal. However, I wonder, and I mean this is a stretch, but what if the Nydus Worm was a transport unit that instead of flying, it moved underground. I mean, I have no idea how you would balance this at all, and I know it doesn't fit the StarCraft formula well. However, Blizzard is changing some aspects of the game, and maybe the Nydus Worm would be the first sub-terrain transport unit that StarCraft has seen yet? Anyone have any thoughts about this?

Lurkey has 16 Posts

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to Lurkey  

Old 05-25-2007

Canada Perfidious
For the swarm
 Perfidious is an unknown quantity at this point

To me it seems like it does indeed replace both the Nydus Canal and the Overlord as a transport. Really, why would you risk loosing several overlords and the units they contain when the Nydus Worm does the same function but arrives at the location without being able to be attacked ahead of time?

Of course I still think that the Overlords will still be in the game, so unless the Zerg simply have two sets of offensive transport options the Overlords will need a new secondary purpose. Not that being a detector isn't already invaluable but still, when you've 30 Overlords out to provide unit supply you should be able to put them to some use other than floating around at the back of your base.

I do think the the Nydus Worm will have to have its units loaded up ahead of time at your base though. Otherwise you'd be able to pop 2-3 Worms out where ever you want and have an entire army pour out of them. That would be quite the challenge to balance.

I expect the worm will be something of a mobile building. You make it at your base and load it up with units and then the entire building will burrow its way to a new location for you and deploy its units. This would balance it nicely as its not unlimited reinforcements and you can lose the cost of a or several buildings during a failed attack if things don't go your way.

Perfidious has 19 Posts

pm.gif