Warcraft Legacy Starcraft Legacy BlizzForums
The Future?

Go Back   BlizzForums > Games > StarCraft Discussion

StarCraft Discussion StarCraft & Brood War lie herein.

Old 05-21-2007

Canada lepape
BF Member
 lepape doesn't suck
Default Re: terran dropships land?

The dropship landing animation looks good, but yeah, I'll miss being able to drop units one by one while moving, if that's the case.

Last edited by lepape; 05-21-2007 at 03:32 PM.
lepape has 165 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 05-21-2007

Vatican City State Kacaier
Reaching for the Swarm
 Kacaier has become enlightenedKacaier has become enlightenedKacaier has become enlightenedKacaier has become enlightenedKacaier has become enlightenedKacaier has become enlightenedKacaier has become enlightenedKacaier has become enlightenedKacaier has become enlightenedKacaier has become enlightenedKacaier has become enlightened

Phase prisms also transport (like shuttles) as we see in the beginning of the demo video. And it didn't even have to land! They warped down Star Trek style.

With such, I bet turning into a pylon would cost energy (or it would drain like cloaking). Seems Protoss have a major advantage over in the transportation department.

Also, with landing, it appears you need ample space to put the dropship. Say good bye to randomly plopping marines onto small islands!

Kacaier has 615 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 05-21-2007

United States Bullet2head
The Hammer of Dawn
 Bullet2head IS THE KING OF THE WORLD!!!Bullet2head IS THE KING OF THE WORLD!!!Bullet2head IS THE KING OF THE WORLD!!!Bullet2head IS THE KING OF THE WORLD!!!Bullet2head IS THE KING OF THE WORLD!!!Bullet2head IS THE KING OF THE WORLD!!!Bullet2head IS THE KING OF THE WORLD!!!Bullet2head IS THE KING OF THE WORLD!!!Bullet2head IS THE KING OF THE WORLD!!!Bullet2head IS THE KING OF THE WORLD!!!Bullet2head IS THE KING OF THE WORLD!!!

Yes but the prisims have to sit there, are vulnerable to fire and drop em one by one, not to mention the detection time. It's like a bad version of the dropship.

Bullet2head has 12,009 Posts

Thanks Bliss for the sig!
Spoiler (highlight to reveal text)
Haha you looked. Fag

pm.gif   

Old 05-21-2007

Italy 10thNazgul
BF Member
 10thNazgul is a model citizen10thNazgul is a model citizen10thNazgul is a model citizen10thNazgul is a model citizen10thNazgul is a model citizen10thNazgul is a model citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullet2head View Post
Yes but the prisims have to sit there, are vulnerable to fire and drop em one by one, not to mention the detection time. It's like a bad version of the dropship.
if you see carefully to the gameplay trailer, you could see that Prism have 2 ability:
could drop units without deploying and out of pylon range (as a SC1 shuttle)
could be deployied, having the effect of a pylon and could be used, with a gate, to teleport units

pm.gif   

Old 05-23-2007

United States Mr. Boots
All rrrright.
 Mr. Boots is dominating!Mr. Boots is dominating!Mr. Boots is dominating!Mr. Boots is dominating!Mr. Boots is dominating!Mr. Boots is dominating!Mr. Boots is dominating!Mr. Boots is dominating!Mr. Boots is dominating!Mr. Boots is dominating!Mr. Boots is dominating!

Oh man, I have a huge problem with this, not functionally, but conceptually. The idea of the drop ship is to drop its occupants. The original concept from Starship Troopers (the novel) was that each marine was in a pod in the ship, and then literally dropped from I guess the mid-to-lower upper atmosphere of the planet and then ride it out. That's why it was awesome in SC1 I guess, you could drop'em anywhere and quickly. May as well not even call it a dropship anymore. But, yeah, by 2008 or whenever they'll have surely realized they're obscene error in judgement and will have changed it.

Mr. Boots has 292 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 05-23-2007

United States trueblue
BF Member
 trueblue is a splendid one to beholdtrueblue is a splendid one to beholdtrueblue is a splendid one to beholdtrueblue is a splendid one to beholdtrueblue is a splendid one to beholdtrueblue is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10thNazgul View Post
if you see carefully to the gameplay trailer, you could see that Prism have 2 ability:
could drop units without deploying and out of pylon range (as a SC1 shuttle)
could be deployied, having the effect of a pylon and could be used, with a gate, to teleport units
I believe that the warp-in is achieved by the upgraded gateways themselves, not the prisms. The gateways can warp in units to any area within power, which includes the field from a deployed prism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Boots View Post
Oh man, I have a huge problem with this, not functionally, but conceptually. The idea of the drop ship is to drop its occupants. The original concept from Starship Troopers (the novel) was that each marine was in a pod in the ship, and then literally dropped from I guess the mid-to-lower upper atmosphere of the planet and then ride it out. That's why it was awesome in SC1 I guess, you could drop'em anywhere and quickly. May as well not even call it a dropship anymore. But, yeah, by 2008 or whenever they'll have surely realized they're obscene error in judgement and will have changed it.
If you watch the animation, the drops are still pretty fast. The moving drop might be a thing of the past, but then again, dropships landed in vanilla starcraft alpha as well, so you never know.

pm.gif   

Old 05-23-2007

United States Mr. Boots
All rrrright.
 Mr. Boots is dominating!Mr. Boots is dominating!Mr. Boots is dominating!Mr. Boots is dominating!Mr. Boots is dominating!Mr. Boots is dominating!Mr. Boots is dominating!Mr. Boots is dominating!Mr. Boots is dominating!Mr. Boots is dominating!Mr. Boots is dominating!

I'm only sayin' conceptually.

Mr. Boots has 292 Posts

pm.gif