Warcraft Legacy Starcraft Legacy BlizzForums
The Future?

Go Back   BlizzForums > Games > StarCraft Discussion

StarCraft Discussion StarCraft & Brood War lie herein.

Closed Thread

Old 05-18-2007

United States Huluwa
BF Member
 Huluwa is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Any chance for the robot race?

Is there any chance that Blizzard will add a robot race to Starcraft? The robots will be built by Terran under the influence of Protoss. Thank you, Zero, for saving them.

Homenoids storyline:
http://www.blizzforums.com/showpost....5&postcount=51
Buildings and units list with descriptions:
http://www.blizzforums.com/showpost....7&postcount=52

Last edited by Huluwa; 06-14-2007 at 04:44 PM.
Huluwa has 157 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 05-18-2007

United States XBSHX
BF Member
 XBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to all
Default Re: Any chance for the robot race?

I'd rather have the hybrids or xel'naga... protoss and terran have alot of robotic units themselves.

XBSHX has 3,215 Posts

Zergling seagull sound NEEDS to go.

pm.gif  Send a message via MSN to XBSHX  

Old 05-18-2007

United States Huluwa
BF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBSHX View Post
I'd rather have the hybrids or xel'naga... protoss and terran have alot of robotic units themselves.
I want to see a robot race. The robots won't look like anything the Protoss or Terran have - it'll be new, but with some obvious influence from the two races. For example, they can look like Protoss while having Terran robotic armor.

Huluwa has 157 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 05-18-2007

United States XBSHX
BF Member
 XBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huluwa View Post
I want to see a robot race. The robots won't look like anything the Protoss or Terran have - it'll be new, but with some obvious influence from the two races. For example, looking like Protoss but having Terran robotic armor.
Introducing a robot race wouldn't make since from a story perspective... They already pretty much said there is going to be a hybrid race in the secret mission... why would they just ignore that and make robots instead?

XBSHX has 3,215 Posts

Old 05-18-2007

United States Huluwa
BF Member

Quote:
Introducing a robot race wouldn't make since from a story perspective... They already pretty much said there is going to be a hybrid race in the secret mission... why would they just ignore that and make robots instead?
They can add both the hybrids and the robots in Starcraft 2. The robots will be the result of new friendship between Terran and Protoss. The UED can also become a new "race" with units different from that of Terran. That makes six races!

Huluwa has 157 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 05-18-2007

Canada ShadowAldrius
Evil wizard of some sort
 ShadowAldrius is a god among mere mortalsShadowAldrius is a god among mere mortalsShadowAldrius is a god among mere mortalsShadowAldrius is a god among mere mortalsShadowAldrius is a god among mere mortalsShadowAldrius is a god among mere mortalsShadowAldrius is a god among mere mortalsShadowAldrius is a god among mere mortalsShadowAldrius is a god among mere mortalsShadowAldrius is a god among mere mortalsShadowAldrius is a god among mere mortals

UED will never be a distinct race. Ever.

ShadowAldrius has 2,172 Posts

The Banshee should be surly, drunken and Irish. (Okay, maybe just Irish.)

pm.gif   

Old 05-18-2007

United States UED Special Ops
BF Vet
 UED Special Ops has become enlightenedUED Special Ops has become enlightenedUED Special Ops has become enlightenedUED Special Ops has become enlightenedUED Special Ops has become enlightenedUED Special Ops has become enlightenedUED Special Ops has become enlightenedUED Special Ops has become enlightenedUED Special Ops has become enlightenedUED Special Ops has become enlightenedUED Special Ops has become enlightened

Never say never. The UED only had the same tech as the Terrans(plus a few unique ones) in BW cause Blizz didn't/could not add a new race at the time. If they UED ever come back,(hopefully in the expansion) I see em being a distinct race, as Earth tech is much different the K-Sector tech.

UED Special Ops has 4,775 Posts

06-27-06: The date that BF returned!!

pm.gif   

Old 05-18-2007

United States XBSHX
BF Member

4 races would be enough... having any more than that would make it insanely hard to balance... not to mention that the game would be a lot harder on b.net if there were a bunch of strategies for each race you have to learn to defend against.

XBSHX has 3,215 Posts

Old 05-18-2007

Italy 10thNazgul
BF Member
 10thNazgul is a model citizen10thNazgul is a model citizen10thNazgul is a model citizen10thNazgul is a model citizen10thNazgul is a model citizen10thNazgul is a model citizen

I think there will be hybrids in SC2... They could be playable or perhaps not (as Demons in WC3) but it's quite sure that they will be.

I'd like, however, if Blizzard will introduce an unespected race. From WC2 to WC3, for example, the introduction of night elves was a "surprise"...

A robotic race indeed could make somewhat sense in the storyline: the Xel'Naga, frustrated by Protoss and almost wiped out by Zergs, have retreat from K-sector to the edge of the galaxy. Here the few of them that survived could have renounced to manipulation of life forms, admitting that they can't reach their goal of purity in that way.
So they start researches on AI and robotic fields, creating at last an army who respond only to the Xel'Naga, and which purpose is only to serve them to reach their goal.
And their goal, now, is to eradicate their former mistakes: Protoss and Zerg. And to take their revenge.

pm.gif   

Old 05-18-2007

United States Huluwa
BF Member

Quote:
4 races would be enough... having any more than that would make it insanely hard to balance... not to mention that the game would be a lot harder on b.net if there were a bunch of strategies for each race you have to learn to defend against.
Well, Blizzard is known to do the impossible in creating massively popular games and balancing them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10thNazgul View Post
I think there will be hybrids in SC2... They could be playable or perhaps not (as Demons in WC3) but it's quite sure that they will be.

I'd like, however, if Blizzard will introduce an unespected race. From WC2 to WC3, for example, the introduction of night elves was a "surprise"...

A robotic race indeed could make somewhat sense in the storyline: the Xel'Naga, frustrated by Protoss and almost wiped out by Zergs, have retreat from K-sector to the edge of the galaxy. Here the few of them that survived could have renounced to manipulation of life forms, admitting that they can't reach their goal of purity in that way.
So they start researches on AI and robotic fields, creating at last an army who response only to the Xel'Naga, and which purpose is only to serve them to reach their goal.
And their goal, now, is to eradicate their former mistakes: Protoss and Zerg. And to take their revenge.
I do hope for a surprise race that's not hybrids or Xel'Naga. However, I seriously doubt Xel'Naga will make robots. It's more likely for Terrans to create them under Protoss influence.

Huluwa has 157 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 05-18-2007

United States XBSHX
BF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10thNazgul View Post

So they start researches on AI and robotic fields, creating at last an army who respond only to the Xel'Naga, and which purpose is only to serve them to reach their goal.
I still say a robotic race would be too much like Terran / Protoss technology... the great thing about Starcrafts races is that they are all very unique. I don't want 2 races that look like they could be one.

XBSHX has 3,215 Posts

Old 05-18-2007

United States Huluwa
BF Member

Quote:
I still say a robotic race would be too much like Terran / Protoss technology... the great thing about Starcrafts races is that they are all very unique. I don't want 2 races that look like they could be one.
Robots do not look like Protoss and Terran. I think if you are creative, you can make the robot race very cool looking and fun to play.

Huluwa has 157 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 05-18-2007

United States XBSHX
BF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huluwa View Post
Robots do not look like Protoss and Terran. I think if you are creative, you can make the robot race very cool looking and fun to play.
If the terran and protoss made them wouldn't they look somewhat like a mix between the two? And why it be a totally new race? I don't see the protoss sharing technology with the terran (except raynor) why not have a couple units that protoss and terran both have or something?

XBSHX has 3,215 Posts

Old 05-18-2007

Italy 10thNazgul
BF Member
 10thNazgul is a model citizen10thNazgul is a model citizen10thNazgul is a model citizen10thNazgul is a model citizen10thNazgul is a model citizen10thNazgul is a model citizen

Quote:
I don't know why they would be too much like T/P.
The distinctive traits of the 3 races are:
Terran: military
Zerg: organic
Protoss: psionic

pm.gif   

Old 05-18-2007

BlizzForums Zero
Templar of the SC Forums
 Zero simply pwnsZero simply pwnsZero simply pwnsZero simply pwnsZero simply pwnsZero simply pwnsZero simply pwnsZero simply pwnsZero simply pwnsZero simply pwnsZero simply pwns

One thing that I hope for any other new races (other than Xel'Naga and Hybrids) is that there is an actual backstory, rather than just having this new race pop up out of nowhere. With a robotic race, I could see the Terran playing around with Protoss AI technology, and have some robotic hive-mind form and rise to power as a military force to "cleanse" the universe.

Zero has 8,376 Posts

"As a kid it was traumatic. It was one thing for your teacher to tell you that life was harsh for settlers headed West in the decades after the Louisiana Purchase. It was a lot more chilling to watch as your three children, "Boobs, Fart, and Winky" drowned in the Colorado river shortly before your wife died of diarrhea."
- Gamespy talking about the original Oregon Trail

pm.gif   
Closed Thread