Warcraft Legacy Starcraft Legacy BlizzForums
The Future?

Go Back   BlizzForums > Games > StarCraft Discussion

StarCraft Discussion StarCraft & Brood War lie herein.

Old 05-17-2007

Argentina imarafan
Holas the cat
 imarafan is a name known to allimarafan is a name known to allimarafan is a name known to allimarafan is a name known to allimarafan is a name known to allimarafan is a name known to allimarafan is a name known to allimarafan is a name known to allimarafan is a name known to allimarafan is a name known to allimarafan is a name known to all
Default Re: Balance

HOLAS: (tm)

except you're protoss

imarafan has 1,361 Posts

I are a cat full of HOLAS...... delivering HOLAS to the world

pm.gif   

Old 05-17-2007

Italy 10thNazgul
BF Member
 10thNazgul is a model citizen10thNazgul is a model citizen10thNazgul is a model citizen10thNazgul is a model citizen10thNazgul is a model citizen10thNazgul is a model citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by imarafan View Post
HOLAS: (tm)

except you're protoss
Protoss are good with scarabs or psi storm

pm.gif   

Old 05-17-2007

United States Marneus Calgar
Nuclear Launch Detected
 Marneus Calgar is dominating!Marneus Calgar is dominating!Marneus Calgar is dominating!Marneus Calgar is dominating!Marneus Calgar is dominating!Marneus Calgar is dominating!Marneus Calgar is dominating!Marneus Calgar is dominating!Marneus Calgar is dominating!Marneus Calgar is dominating!Marneus Calgar is dominating!

The only thing I can see getting screwed up by 3D is air unit stacking, which is obviously important. On the subject of balance, do you think they'll drop old units while they add new ones? How would that affect balance?

Marneus Calgar has 1,155 Posts

"Live forever, apes."
~Lieutenant Razack, Razack's Roughnecks

Hydragoon on Reapers and Stimpacks:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydragoon View Post
If I were a guy with a jump pack going into a heavily defended base with two pistols, I'd want to be high on something first...

pm.gif   

Old 05-17-2007

Italy 10thNazgul
BF Member
 10thNazgul is a model citizen10thNazgul is a model citizen10thNazgul is a model citizen10thNazgul is a model citizen10thNazgul is a model citizen10thNazgul is a model citizen

12 carriers one over another was horrorific indeed...
We will survive even without air unit stacking...
I think that adding new units can't unbalance the game if the units aren't overpowered.
What change are the viable strategies.
Example: in broodwar the introduction of lurkers and darktemplars have involved a more frequent use of detectors

pm.gif   

Old 05-17-2007

Iran Dariush
Power hungry
 Dariush doesn't suck

10thnazgul , you want sc2 to be something else...not even something cool...you like it to be ra2 in 3d...most sc fans HATE those games...

gtfo.

Dariush has 48 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 05-17-2007

Italy 10thNazgul
BF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dariush View Post
10thnazgul , you want sc2 to be something else...not even something cool...you like it to be ra2 in 3d...most sc fans HATE those games...

gtfo.

I never played RA2, sorry.
I like RTS in general (even if I like SC more of all others), so i'd like to see in SC2 the best featured that led innovation in RTS scenes in the last decade. I'm not a SC fanatic that are afraid to any change because it will ruin the "perfect" balance of SC.
New features in SC2 not unbalance the game: simply will create a NEW balance.

pm.gif   

Old 05-17-2007

United States Bullet2head
The Hammer of Dawn
 Bullet2head IS THE KING OF THE WORLD!!!Bullet2head IS THE KING OF THE WORLD!!!Bullet2head IS THE KING OF THE WORLD!!!Bullet2head IS THE KING OF THE WORLD!!!Bullet2head IS THE KING OF THE WORLD!!!Bullet2head IS THE KING OF THE WORLD!!!Bullet2head IS THE KING OF THE WORLD!!!Bullet2head IS THE KING OF THE WORLD!!!Bullet2head IS THE KING OF THE WORLD!!!Bullet2head IS THE KING OF THE WORLD!!!Bullet2head IS THE KING OF THE WORLD!!!

But the balance may not be balanced. Sc is good because it requires skill. If that is taken out, one race may have an unfair advantage.

Bullet2head has 12,009 Posts

Thanks Bliss for the sig!
Spoiler (highlight to reveal text)
Haha you looked. Fag

pm.gif   

Old 05-17-2007

Iran Dariush
Power hungry
 Dariush doesn't suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10thNazgul View Post
I never played RA2, sorry.
I like RTS in general (even if I like SC more of all others), so i'd like to see in SC2 the best featured that led innovation in RTS scenes in the last decade. I'm not a SC fanatic that are afraid to any change because it will ruin the "perfect" balance of SC.
New features in SC2 not unbalance the game: simply will create a NEW balance.
ok so tell me this , is in your opinion , hero system in wc3 an innovation?

Dariush has 48 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 05-17-2007

United States DragoonX
En Taro Adun!
 DragoonX is obviously doing something rightDragoonX is obviously doing something rightDragoonX is obviously doing something rightDragoonX is obviously doing something rightDragoonX is obviously doing something rightDragoonX is obviously doing something rightDragoonX is obviously doing something rightDragoonX is obviously doing something rightDragoonX is obviously doing something rightDragoonX is obviously doing something rightDragoonX is obviously doing something right

You guys are arguing on opposite ends of a spectrum. You -can- add new things, in moderation so long as their patched. You think SC was originally balanced as it is now? God no. It took multiple patches. No different if SC2 was released. Some new things may be a bit edgie but will be fixed in time.

DragoonX has 461 Posts

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to DragoonX Send a message via MSN to DragoonX  

Old 05-17-2007

Canada ShadowAldrius
Evil wizard of some sort
 ShadowAldrius is a god among mere mortalsShadowAldrius is a god among mere mortalsShadowAldrius is a god among mere mortalsShadowAldrius is a god among mere mortalsShadowAldrius is a god among mere mortalsShadowAldrius is a god among mere mortalsShadowAldrius is a god among mere mortalsShadowAldrius is a god among mere mortalsShadowAldrius is a god among mere mortalsShadowAldrius is a god among mere mortalsShadowAldrius is a god among mere mortals

Quote:
The only thing I can see getting screwed up by 3D is air unit stacking, which is obviously important. On the subject of balance, do you think they'll drop old units while they add new ones? How would that affect balance?
They'll probably do a complete reworking of the tech tree I think. Nothing drastic, the most basic measures will still be there... but that's just my opinion.

ShadowAldrius has 2,172 Posts

The Banshee should be surly, drunken and Irish. (Okay, maybe just Irish.)

pm.gif   

Old 05-17-2007

United States Bullet2head
The Hammer of Dawn
 Bullet2head IS THE KING OF THE WORLD!!!Bullet2head IS THE KING OF THE WORLD!!!Bullet2head IS THE KING OF THE WORLD!!!Bullet2head IS THE KING OF THE WORLD!!!Bullet2head IS THE KING OF THE WORLD!!!Bullet2head IS THE KING OF THE WORLD!!!Bullet2head IS THE KING OF THE WORLD!!!Bullet2head IS THE KING OF THE WORLD!!!Bullet2head IS THE KING OF THE WORLD!!!Bullet2head IS THE KING OF THE WORLD!!!Bullet2head IS THE KING OF THE WORLD!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonX View Post
You guys are arguing on opposite ends of a spectrum. You -can- add new things, in moderation so long as their patched. You think SC was originally balanced as it is now? God no. It took multiple patches. No different if SC2 was released. Some new things may be a bit edgie but will be fixed in time.
It was VERY balanced when it initally came out.

Bullet2head has 12,009 Posts

Thanks Bliss for the sig!
Spoiler (highlight to reveal text)
Haha you looked. Fag

pm.gif   

Old 05-17-2007

Netherlands Hunta
Radical
 Hunta is clearly better than youHunta is clearly better than youHunta is clearly better than youHunta is clearly better than youHunta is clearly better than youHunta is clearly better than youHunta is clearly better than youHunta is clearly better than youHunta is clearly better than youHunta is clearly better than youHunta is clearly better than you

I hope you all understand that by keeping the "same, old units" the same balance is not maintained. The interface and engine of StarCraft 2 will be re-written from scratch, that's for sure, and there's no chance that this new interface acts exactly as the old one. Basicly saying, a Dragoon in StarCraft will be very different from a Dragoon in StarCraft 2, making it necessary to add new units or giving the opportunity to add a whole new arsenal, since everything has to be balanced anyway.

Hunta has 1,063 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 05-17-2007

Canada ShadowAldrius
Evil wizard of some sort
 ShadowAldrius is a god among mere mortalsShadowAldrius is a god among mere mortalsShadowAldrius is a god among mere mortalsShadowAldrius is a god among mere mortalsShadowAldrius is a god among mere mortalsShadowAldrius is a god among mere mortalsShadowAldrius is a god among mere mortalsShadowAldrius is a god among mere mortalsShadowAldrius is a god among mere mortalsShadowAldrius is a god among mere mortalsShadowAldrius is a god among mere mortals

Actually, I thought a neat idea for Dragoons would be... if they were replaced by Vindicators as the Protoss ranged units. And when Vindicators and Zealots die your probes could collect the bodies and transform them into Dragoons at the Nexus.

Something to think about at least.

ShadowAldrius has 2,172 Posts

The Banshee should be surly, drunken and Irish. (Okay, maybe just Irish.)

pm.gif   

Old 05-17-2007

United States Marneus Calgar
Nuclear Launch Detected
 Marneus Calgar is dominating!Marneus Calgar is dominating!Marneus Calgar is dominating!Marneus Calgar is dominating!Marneus Calgar is dominating!Marneus Calgar is dominating!Marneus Calgar is dominating!Marneus Calgar is dominating!Marneus Calgar is dominating!Marneus Calgar is dominating!Marneus Calgar is dominating!

No offense to the other side of the arguement, but it seems all you want is SC in 3-D(or sharper 2-D.) Also, balance will not be as good. But most other RTS's are balanced enough to ensure for good gameplay, despite not being perfect. That's what patches are for.

Marneus Calgar has 1,155 Posts

"Live forever, apes."
~Lieutenant Razack, Razack's Roughnecks

Hydragoon on Reapers and Stimpacks:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydragoon View Post
If I were a guy with a jump pack going into a heavily defended base with two pistols, I'd want to be high on something first...

pm.gif   

Old 05-17-2007

Finland Arbinn
BF Member
 Arbinn is a name known to allArbinn is a name known to allArbinn is a name known to allArbinn is a name known to allArbinn is a name known to allArbinn is a name known to allArbinn is a name known to allArbinn is a name known to allArbinn is a name known to allArbinn is a name known to allArbinn is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowAldrius View Post
Actually, I thought a neat idea for Dragoons would be... if they were replaced by Vindicators as the Protoss ranged units. And when Vindicators and Zealots die your probes could collect the bodies and transform them into Dragoons at the Nexus.

Something to think about at least.
And buff the dragoons a bit so it's worthy. That's a good idea as long as you can make it as easy as you can. I don't think many of the players want to spend time and micro to collect dead dudes for a bit better ones when they can build more troops and micro in the battle. So automate the thing somehow and we have one terrific change.

Arbinn has 562 Posts

When no one was looking, Lex Luthor took FORTY cakes! He took 40 cakes. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.

pm.gif