Warcraft Legacy Starcraft Legacy BlizzForums
The Future?

Go Back   BlizzForums > Games > StarCraft Discussion

StarCraft Discussion StarCraft & Brood War lie herein.

Old 05-16-2007

United States Marneus Calgar
Nuclear Launch Detected
 Marneus Calgar is dominating!Marneus Calgar is dominating!Marneus Calgar is dominating!Marneus Calgar is dominating!Marneus Calgar is dominating!Marneus Calgar is dominating!Marneus Calgar is dominating!Marneus Calgar is dominating!Marneus Calgar is dominating!Marneus Calgar is dominating!Marneus Calgar is dominating!
Default Re: Balance

I just realized something else that won't work! Stacking of air units! It'll look retarded in 3-D! See, there's an example.
I honestly haven't played that many 2D RTS's. It's kinda disconscerting when I go to play SC after playing a 3-D game and then try to zoom in with the mouse wheel... d'oh.

Marneus Calgar has 1,155 Posts

"Live forever, apes."
~Lieutenant Razack, Razack's Roughnecks

Hydragoon on Reapers and Stimpacks:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydragoon View Post
If I were a guy with a jump pack going into a heavily defended base with two pistols, I'd want to be high on something first...

pm.gif   

Old 05-16-2007

Moldova CajunMan
Viva La Resistance!
 CajunMan is clearly better than youCajunMan is clearly better than youCajunMan is clearly better than youCajunMan is clearly better than youCajunMan is clearly better than youCajunMan is clearly better than youCajunMan is clearly better than youCajunMan is clearly better than youCajunMan is clearly better than youCajunMan is clearly better than youCajunMan is clearly better than you

One thing I mostly don't like is in 3-D maps are bigger and games take more space. But also I own all the total wars if blizzard could make units(medieval 2 units) on that scale look that good in 3-D and operate like that then I might accept it in 3-D.

CajunMan has 4,107 Posts

"Innocence proves nothing"

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to CajunMan Send a message via MSN to CajunMan Send a message via Yahoo to CajunMan 

Old 05-16-2007

United States Marneus Calgar
Nuclear Launch Detected
 Marneus Calgar is dominating!Marneus Calgar is dominating!Marneus Calgar is dominating!Marneus Calgar is dominating!Marneus Calgar is dominating!Marneus Calgar is dominating!Marneus Calgar is dominating!Marneus Calgar is dominating!Marneus Calgar is dominating!Marneus Calgar is dominating!Marneus Calgar is dominating!

Personally, I find the C&C 3 graphics perfectly acceptable for a game like Starcraft, but that's just my opinion.

Marneus Calgar has 1,155 Posts

"Live forever, apes."
~Lieutenant Razack, Razack's Roughnecks

Hydragoon on Reapers and Stimpacks:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydragoon View Post
If I were a guy with a jump pack going into a heavily defended base with two pistols, I'd want to be high on something first...

pm.gif   

Old 05-16-2007

Italy 10thNazgul
BF Member
 10thNazgul is a model citizen10thNazgul is a model citizen10thNazgul is a model citizen10thNazgul is a model citizen10thNazgul is a model citizen10thNazgul is a model citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunMan550 View Post
It's something you have to experiance dude hard to really explain. Umm I know sounds like bullshit but play SC then play some 3-D RTS you'll notice the dif immediatly.
I played RTS from Dune 2, to Starcraft, to Warcraft 3, to C&C 3 and I haven't found this difference, except for the hero system and critter hunting in WC3 that required a really different style of play.
Any regular RTS is made of these 3 elements:
- resource gathering
- base constuction / expansion
- battles

These elements could be very diversified between a game or another, but there are in almost all RTS 2D or 3D.

What that make SC unique are, for my opinion, these features:
a) 3 really different races, that requires each a different mindset
b) 3 race well balanced
c) the scissor-paper-stone mechanic between all units
d) any strategy can be counterable
e) battles in quite large scale, but that doesn't become chaotic

How 3D graphic could ruin that?

pm.gif   

Old 05-16-2007

Moldova CajunMan
Viva La Resistance!
 CajunMan is clearly better than youCajunMan is clearly better than youCajunMan is clearly better than youCajunMan is clearly better than youCajunMan is clearly better than youCajunMan is clearly better than youCajunMan is clearly better than youCajunMan is clearly better than youCajunMan is clearly better than youCajunMan is clearly better than youCajunMan is clearly better than you

I just don't like C and C graphics I prefer Total war type 3-D mainly because of scale and such.

CajunMan has 4,107 Posts

"Innocence proves nothing"

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to CajunMan Send a message via MSN to CajunMan Send a message via Yahoo to CajunMan 

Old 05-16-2007

United States UED Special Ops
BF Vet
 UED Special Ops has become enlightenedUED Special Ops has become enlightenedUED Special Ops has become enlightenedUED Special Ops has become enlightenedUED Special Ops has become enlightenedUED Special Ops has become enlightenedUED Special Ops has become enlightenedUED Special Ops has become enlightenedUED Special Ops has become enlightenedUED Special Ops has become enlightenedUED Special Ops has become enlightened

Mainly, out of all the RTS I have ever played, SC has always had a unique gameplay that is just difficult to describe in words. However, after playing some 3-D RTS, I know that if SC2 was 3-D, it would be very, very hard to keep the core SC gameplay intact.

On another note, while C&C3 graphics do look nice, not all comps can handle em, and since Blizz likes to have their games run on older comps without huge slowdown and stuff, uber 3-D graphics are unlikely for SC2.

UED Special Ops has 4,775 Posts

06-27-06: The date that BF returned!!

pm.gif   

Old 05-16-2007

Italy 10thNazgul
BF Member
 10thNazgul is a model citizen10thNazgul is a model citizen10thNazgul is a model citizen10thNazgul is a model citizen10thNazgul is a model citizen10thNazgul is a model citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marneus Calgar View Post
I actually have, and I can't see that much of a difference, honestly. Major one is vehicle turn time. Cliffs and suchlike, not a problem, still have ramps. Again, though, I'm not a great RTS player, so don't take my word for it.
Vulnerability caused by veichle turn time could be easily balanced by the ability to crush smaller unit with some of the largest ground units (tanks, reavers, ultralisks) and with rotating turrets that allows to not fire only in the direction of movement.

pm.gif   

Old 05-16-2007

United States UED Special Ops
BF Vet
 UED Special Ops has become enlightenedUED Special Ops has become enlightenedUED Special Ops has become enlightenedUED Special Ops has become enlightenedUED Special Ops has become enlightenedUED Special Ops has become enlightenedUED Special Ops has become enlightenedUED Special Ops has become enlightenedUED Special Ops has become enlightenedUED Special Ops has become enlightenedUED Special Ops has become enlightened

Ack, no unit crushing! That would unbalance the game rather quickly.

UED Special Ops has 4,775 Posts

06-27-06: The date that BF returned!!

pm.gif   

Old 05-16-2007

Argentina imarafan
Holas the cat
 imarafan is a name known to allimarafan is a name known to allimarafan is a name known to allimarafan is a name known to allimarafan is a name known to allimarafan is a name known to allimarafan is a name known to allimarafan is a name known to allimarafan is a name known to allimarafan is a name known to allimarafan is a name known to all

HOLAS: (tm)

is funny watch people talking about the starcraft style is 2d, but starcraft only have 1 game....... XD! is like say the warcraft style is 16 bit graphics (?) before wc3 :P now all of you say 3d is wc style....

and again..... sc2 =/= wc3.... well... let's hope ther are not =.... i think blizz conception of 3d can change..... wow see cartonish but well.... warcraft has become a kids game -_- , let's just hope.......

p.d: cox said then until we see it we can judge the game as we want.... so.... as we respect the """""""""dominion""""""""" and judge of cox in this forum.... i hope the pros also can respect the judges of the noobs (include me :P).

imarafan has 1,361 Posts

I are a cat full of HOLAS...... delivering HOLAS to the world

pm.gif   

Old 05-16-2007

Canada countchocula86
Chocolate God
 countchocula86 is made of wincountchocula86 is made of wincountchocula86 is made of wincountchocula86 is made of wincountchocula86 is made of wincountchocula86 is made of wincountchocula86 is made of wincountchocula86 is made of wincountchocula86 is made of wincountchocula86 is made of wincountchocula86 is made of win

Jeebus, I leave for class and when I come back this has turned into a discussion about graphics? You people are nuts hahah.

(And really, what are the odds that Blizzard wont update the graphics? No ones gonna buy a 2D game....well okay I would, but only because its starcraft)

countchocula86 has 1,599 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 05-17-2007

Italy 10thNazgul
BF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UED Special Ops View Post
Ack, no unit crushing! That would unbalance the game rather quickly.
You forgot that if a feature is going to be added to a game, you could also add something to balance it.
Example: if siege tank could crush small units under its threads (as marines or zerglings) then marines could have rocket upgrade, or could garrison buildings/scenario elements.
Zergling could be able, if you flank the tank, to jump over the tank and overrun it.

pm.gif   

Old 05-17-2007

United States XBSHX
BF Member
 XBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to allXBSHX is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10thNazgul View Post
You forgot that if a feature is going to be added to a game, you could also add something to balance it.
Example: if siege tank could crush small units under its threads (as marines or zerglings) then marines could have rocket upgrade, or could garrison buildings/scenario elements.
Zergling could be able, if you flank the tank, to jump over the tank and overrun it.
NO NO NO garrisoning building.... I hate that aspect of C&C the most... I don't want the same for StarCraft, NO unit crushing either... that is why C&C is always has crappy balance.

Why did this turn into graphics discussion? You can have it 3D without doing anything to the balance. You don't have to make giant circles to turn a seige tank... it has 4 seperate tracks so it would be able to turn in place fairly quickly... reavers might have trouble turning but then again why can't blizzard just make them do a 180 like in the regular SC?

XBSHX has 3,215 Posts

Zergling seagull sound NEEDS to go.

pm.gif  Send a message via MSN to XBSHX  

Old 05-17-2007

Iran Dariush
Power hungry
 Dariush doesn't suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10thNazgul View Post
You , are out of your mind...

Dariush has 48 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 05-17-2007

Italy 10thNazgul
BF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dariush View Post
You , are out of your mind...
zerg are swarming so it can fit in the gameplay. However i think SC will be innovative, not a mere graphic clean up.

I'm supposing that what many people are afraid not that SC2 will be unbalanced, but that it will have changes that forces them to learn to play from 0 (for the introduction of a new engine, new units or races, new features).

pm.gif   

Old 05-17-2007

Iran Dariush
Power hungry
 Dariush doesn't suck

I'm just glad you're not a game dev...

"fitting" in the gameplay is a lame excuse...realism is not starcraft's best thing.

Dariush has 48 Posts

pm.gif