Warcraft Legacy Starcraft Legacy BlizzForums
The Future?

Go Back   BlizzForums > Games > StarCraft Discussion

StarCraft Discussion StarCraft & Brood War lie herein.

Old 05-06-2007

United States Alexander
Pew Pew
 Alexander simply pwnsAlexander simply pwnsAlexander simply pwnsAlexander simply pwnsAlexander simply pwnsAlexander simply pwnsAlexander simply pwnsAlexander simply pwnsAlexander simply pwnsAlexander simply pwnsAlexander simply pwns
Default Re: We are screwed!

computerandvideogames.com is a well known and reputable source. It's definitely true.

Alexander has 1,497 Posts

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to Alexander  

Old 05-06-2007

Canada ShadowAldrius
Evil wizard of some sort
 ShadowAldrius is a god among mere mortalsShadowAldrius is a god among mere mortalsShadowAldrius is a god among mere mortalsShadowAldrius is a god among mere mortalsShadowAldrius is a god among mere mortalsShadowAldrius is a god among mere mortalsShadowAldrius is a god among mere mortalsShadowAldrius is a god among mere mortalsShadowAldrius is a god among mere mortalsShadowAldrius is a god among mere mortalsShadowAldrius is a god among mere mortals

Well known and reputable, but not as well known and reputable as Blizzard.com. =)

Remember, this is a SECOND HAND SOURCE. They are getting this from something else.

All it takes is one person telling a reputable source, who in turn tells a more reputable source, who in turn tells an even more reputable source until it gets to the top.

ShadowAldrius has 2,172 Posts

The Banshee should be surly, drunken and Irish. (Okay, maybe just Irish.)

pm.gif   

Old 05-06-2007

Israel MasterBoo
Giant Space Hamster
 MasterBoo is dominating!MasterBoo is dominating!MasterBoo is dominating!MasterBoo is dominating!MasterBoo is dominating!MasterBoo is dominating!MasterBoo is dominating!MasterBoo is dominating!MasterBoo is dominating!MasterBoo is dominating!MasterBoo is dominating!

And you have to remember this in contrast to 2 other rumors that the game is SC2 and not a MMO.

MasterBoo has 2,866 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 05-06-2007

Vietnam Sulik
Kingdom of sky
 Sulik has a reputation beyond reputeSulik has a reputation beyond reputeSulik has a reputation beyond reputeSulik has a reputation beyond reputeSulik has a reputation beyond reputeSulik has a reputation beyond reputeSulik has a reputation beyond reputeSulik has a reputation beyond reputeSulik has a reputation beyond reputeSulik has a reputation beyond reputeSulik has a reputation beyond repute

WC3 is not a real RTS, and sure it's the sequel of the RTS classic WC2.
Why can't SC2 be a MMORPG? WoW may very well be named WC4, if only it's not cool to call a MMORPG (something)4.

Sulik has 538 Posts

pm.gif  Send a message via Yahoo to Sulik 

Old 05-06-2007

Israel MasterBoo
Giant Space Hamster
 MasterBoo is dominating!MasterBoo is dominating!MasterBoo is dominating!MasterBoo is dominating!MasterBoo is dominating!MasterBoo is dominating!MasterBoo is dominating!MasterBoo is dominating!MasterBoo is dominating!MasterBoo is dominating!MasterBoo is dominating!

For the sake of Adun people, calm down. There are so many reasons why this won't be a Full-scale MMO. I hope this will make you calmer:
  • WoW - Why will Blizzard shoot its own legs, by releasing another MMO.
  • The team that developed this game was the RTS team which was without a job since WC3:TFT! How can Blizzard pop-up a new MMO team from no where?! Also read this: http://blizzplanet.com/news/1333/ - Why would Blizzard hire RTS developers?
  • We have other rumors confirming this will be a RTS. Don't go wild because of 1 rumor.
  • ENRAGED FANS. You get the point ^_^.
  • "Nothing in that rumor is true in regards to Blizzard. If I had to guess, there was some confusion between what Vivendi has planned for its game division versus what Blizzard has planned. While Blizzard is owned by Vivendi, their game division operates seperately from Blizzard." - Blizzard response for last years' rumors that Vivendi wants all Blizz's franchises as MMOs.
  • and the most important:
    • As Itzik Ben-Basat said in Januray, Blizzard plans to make B.net a High-Bandwidth gaming network, unlike the current b.net which he defined as "Low-Bandwidth network". What that means, is they plan to make B.net as a small MMO, something like that example I gave in the first page in this thread, like what Flagship is doing with Hellgate: London. A MMO DOESN'T HAVE TO BE A MMORPG.
    • I'll describe more what I think is this "MMO": It'll be RTS. It'll have the classical single-player and multi-player modes we know. No changes in that. BUT, in addition, there will be a "persistant" world which allows players to conqure territories in the K-sector. Each battle will be determined by a normal melee game. This will be considered a MMO.

Edit: LOL, Kotaku made a special news group only for this, called "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" :P (http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/nooooooooooo%21/)

Last edited by MasterBoo; 05-06-2007 at 03:37 AM.

pm.gif   

Old 05-06-2007

Slovakia Roman
BF Member
 Roman is a god among mere mortalsRoman is a god among mere mortalsRoman is a god among mere mortalsRoman is a god among mere mortalsRoman is a god among mere mortalsRoman is a god among mere mortalsRoman is a god among mere mortalsRoman is a god among mere mortalsRoman is a god among mere mortalsRoman is a god among mere mortalsRoman is a god among mere mortals

Master Boo (BTW: Judging from your name are you also a Baldur's Gate II fan? I love that game.), yes, I too would imagine that a Starcraft MMO would be MMORTS rather than MMORPG. That would not change anything for me, though, as I will not be suckered into the pay to play model beyond buying the game itself. Of course, if it contains a large non-online single player component (equivalent in size to that of Blizzard games such as Warcraft III) and a non-paying multiplayer component enabling play over a network rather than the internet, than sure, I would get it for those aspects of the game.

pm.gif   

Old 05-06-2007

Canada Kimera757*
The Last Cerebrate
 Kimera757* is made of winKimera757* is made of winKimera757* is made of winKimera757* is made of winKimera757* is made of winKimera757* is made of winKimera757* is made of winKimera757* is made of winKimera757* is made of winKimera757* is made of winKimera757* is made of win

There's been a lot of rumors, and Blizzard finally confirmed one of them (that they're releasing something on May 19th). Now people are more likely to believe rumors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBoo View Post
For the sake of Adun people, calm down. There are so many reasons why this won't be a Full-scale MMO. I hope this will make you calmer:
  • WoW - Why will Blizzard shoot its own legs, by releasing another MMO.
  • The team that developed this game was the RTS team which was without a job since WC3:TFT! How can Blizzard pop-up a new MMO team from no where?! Also read this: http://blizzplanet.com/news/1333/ - Why would Blizzard hire RTS developers?
  • Blizzard has lots of teams, though, one of which could be an MMO team (they have been hiring for MMOs too, which may mean something, or maybe they just need people to write WoW instances).

They do have an unemployed RTS team though, and I dearly hope they're doing StarCraft II.

Quote:
  • We have other rumors confirming this will be a RTS. Don't go wild because of 1 rumor.
  • None of which are particularly credible, including this one. Must be the timing after Blizzard finally said something.

Quote:
  • ENRAGED FANS. You get the point ^_^.
  • Does anyone remember StarCraft: Ghost? There were enraged fans anyway, and Blizzard didn't seem to care. I wish the stereotypes about Koreans were true. (Warning: Not true! Koreans are stereotyped by Easterners to be bad-tempered and by Westerners to be Tae-Kwon-Do fanatics. It's not true, of course, but if the people at WWI really were bad tempered martial artists, Blizzard wouldn't dare announce anything untowards in Korea. *Sigh*)

Quote:
  • "Nothing in that rumor is true in regards to Blizzard. If I had to guess, there was some confusion between what Vivendi has planned for its game division versus what Blizzard has planned. While Blizzard is owned by Vivendi, their game division operates seperately from Blizzard." - Blizzard response for last years' rumors that Vivendi wants all Blizz's franchises as MMOs.
  • I'm pretty sure that Blizzard specifically said they wouldn't do all MMOs. On the other hand, they said "their next MMO won't be another WOW" so they are working on MMOs ... and other things. They could have enough teams to handle it all. Their console division was reallocated, so they've got their Diablo team, their RTS team, their WoW team and an unidentified team all doing stuff.

Quote:
  • and the most important:
    • As Itzik Ben-Basat said in Januray, Blizzard plans to make B.net a High-Bandwidth gaming network, unlike the current b.net which he defined as "Low-Bandwidth network". What that means, is they plan to make B.net as a small MMO, something like that example I gave in the first page in this thread, like what Flagship is doing with Hellgate: London. A MMO DOESN'T HAVE TO BE A MMORPG.
    • I'll describe more what I think is this "MMO": It'll be RTS. It'll have the classical single-player and multi-player modes we know. No changes in that. BUT, in addition, there will be a "persistant" world which allows players to conqure territories in the K-sector. Each battle will be determined by a normal melee game. This will be considered a MMO.
I don't think most of us want an MMORTS however. I don't, and it's not a "pay per month" issue either.

You know, Blizzard said before they'd try to put out a WoW expansion every year. They backed off on that, but they could still be trying to put out WoW expansions, as each time they do so, they get us to part with $. The timing could be right if a new WoW expansion were coming out by the end of the year. WoW is popular in South Korea as well as StarCraft, although WWI is a StarCraft event, so it would be weird to announce the next WoW expansion there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman
Of course, if it contains a large non-online single player component (equivalent in size to that of Blizzard games such as Warcraft III) and a non-paying multiplayer component enabling play over a network rather than the internet, than sure, I would get it for those aspects of the game.
I'd be sure to try something like that out, but it just isn't the same if it doesn't come with a map editor

pm.gif   

Old 05-07-2007

Israel MasterBoo
Giant Space Hamster

Here is an article regarding the making of Fallout 3 by Bethseda. It might not appeal to everyone, specially if you're not familiar with the Fallout games, but it's a good read and relates to this subject:
http://www.duckandcover.cx/content.php?id=88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimera757
Does anyone remember StarCraft: Ghost? There were enraged fans anyway, and Blizzard didn't seem to care.
Ghost was announced at October 2002. We're 4.5 years beyond that. The fans are becoming unpatient and full of hype for what seems (seemed?) to be a SC2 RTS. Announcing now a FULL-MMO game (not like the example I gave), is a serious betryal in the fans. I know it's all business in the end, but SC is not a game, it's a CULT (as the article I supplied desribes). It'll only harm them if they decide not to make it a RTS.

pm.gif   

Old 05-07-2007

United States Kaiser
Ghost Reporting
 Kaiser has a reputation beyond reputeKaiser has a reputation beyond reputeKaiser has a reputation beyond reputeKaiser has a reputation beyond reputeKaiser has a reputation beyond reputeKaiser has a reputation beyond reputeKaiser has a reputation beyond reputeKaiser has a reputation beyond reputeKaiser has a reputation beyond reputeKaiser has a reputation beyond reputeKaiser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowAldrius View Post
Well known and reputable, but not as well known and reputable as Blizzard.com. =)

Remember, this is a SECOND HAND SOURCE. They are getting this from something else.

All it takes is one person telling a reputable source, who in turn tells a more reputable source, who in turn tells an even more reputable source until it gets to the top.

True, but a video game magazine leaked the new Alliance race for WoW as the Draenei and they were right. Blizzard had to make them change their story and then they later said it wasn't true.

Kaiser has 230 Posts

We Want Nova In Starcraft II

[ Starcraft 2 ]

pm.gif   

Old 05-07-2007

Canada ShadowAldrius
Evil wizard of some sort
 ShadowAldrius is a god among mere mortalsShadowAldrius is a god among mere mortalsShadowAldrius is a god among mere mortalsShadowAldrius is a god among mere mortalsShadowAldrius is a god among mere mortalsShadowAldrius is a god among mere mortalsShadowAldrius is a god among mere mortalsShadowAldrius is a god among mere mortalsShadowAldrius is a god among mere mortalsShadowAldrius is a god among mere mortalsShadowAldrius is a god among mere mortals

The Alliance race was obvious.

Everyone knew it was the Draenei, and from comments made by Caydiem everyone knew it was their uncorrupted version. The thing that no one knew the dumb story Metzen made up for it. "UNCORRUPTED EREDAR! CLEARLY!"

Quote:
WC3 is not a real RTS, and sure it's the sequel of the RTS classic WC2.
Why can't SC2 be a MMORPG? WoW may very well be named WC4, if only it's not cool to call a MMORPG (something)4.
WC3 was pretty much an RTS. It had elements of an RPG but for all intents and purposes the gameplay and most everything else, it was an RTS. An MMORPG would be too different. It would not be StarCraft 2 because it would have nothing to do with StarCraft gameplay-wise and story-wise. World of WarCraft is not WarCraft 4, because it has ZERO RTS elements. It barely and indirectly progresses storylines established in the RTS games. So yeah. It'd have to be similar in SOME way other than the world it takes place in and the title for it to be "StarCraft 2".

ShadowAldrius has 2,172 Posts

The Banshee should be surly, drunken and Irish. (Okay, maybe just Irish.)

pm.gif   

Old 05-07-2007

Germany EmperorZorn
BF Member
 EmperorZorn is dominating!EmperorZorn is dominating!EmperorZorn is dominating!EmperorZorn is dominating!EmperorZorn is dominating!EmperorZorn is dominating!EmperorZorn is dominating!EmperorZorn is dominating!EmperorZorn is dominating!EmperorZorn is dominating!EmperorZorn is dominating!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowAldrius View Post
Completely falsified bs. =)

No real information, no quotes from developers, just 'a friend of a friend's tennis instructor told me so' basically.

It makes zilch sense for them to release a competing MMO. And if this IS true. I'm done. Completely done. (Okay, probably not but work with me.)
I makes sense, seeing how Warhammer Online is going to steal more than half of the WoW players when its released as official polls have shown,
with 47% of all WoW players going to switch to Warhammer online and 23% considering a switch.
Plus I doubt the next MMO game will be a MMORPG, but an MMOFPS or another fast-paced genre like the futuristic battles of Starcraft demand it.
Seeing how much profit they make MONTHLY from WoW it would make sense
for them to release a MMORTS or MMOFPS which wouldnt be a direct rival to
WoW since its a different genre.
Plus they could give a discount for signing up to BOTH of their games.

But a thing that we shouldnt forget is that Blizzard also said that they want to announce 3 new titles that year and that they havent forgotten their other "offline" franchises.

So most likely this news is a fake rumor.
Forget about it and wait a few weeks more..

EmperorZorn has 445 Posts

pm.gif   

Old 05-07-2007

United States Crazy_Jonny
I'm Game...
 Crazy_Jonny is a name known to allCrazy_Jonny is a name known to allCrazy_Jonny is a name known to allCrazy_Jonny is a name known to allCrazy_Jonny is a name known to allCrazy_Jonny is a name known to allCrazy_Jonny is a name known to allCrazy_Jonny is a name known to allCrazy_Jonny is a name known to allCrazy_Jonny is a name known to allCrazy_Jonny is a name known to all

I have not one ounce of belief that a StarCraft MMORPG will exist. Blizzard just doesn't need it. Maybe the Diablo universe could manage one, but the SrarCraft universe with it modenerzation...; I just don't see how they'd pull it off. Imagine this:

"LOLZ I pwned u wit mah lv 67 templar!"

Does this seem right? No!

Either they'll do SCII or ghost, if any SC titles. And why an MMOFPS? It just doesnt seem... nessesary? I don't think they need another MMO, considering they'll be more expansions anyway.

I'll repeat: NO MORE MMOs

Last edited by Crazy_Jonny; 05-07-2007 at 07:06 PM.
Crazy_Jonny has 632 Posts

StarCraft II Trilogy = 1 game + 2 expansions, not so hard right?

pm.gif   

Old 05-07-2007

United States Kassad
Serenity Now
 Kassad has become enlightenedKassad has become enlightenedKassad has become enlightenedKassad has become enlightenedKassad has become enlightenedKassad has become enlightenedKassad has become enlightenedKassad has become enlightenedKassad has become enlightenedKassad has become enlightenedKassad has become enlightened

It will not me an MMORPG. I guarantee it. Don't fight me on this, because I don't care.

Kassad has 5,080 Posts

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to Kassad  

Old 05-07-2007

United States Admiral Mengsk
 Admiral Mengsk was born to leadAdmiral Mengsk was born to leadAdmiral Mengsk was born to leadAdmiral Mengsk was born to leadAdmiral Mengsk was born to leadAdmiral Mengsk was born to leadAdmiral Mengsk was born to leadAdmiral Mengsk was born to lead

I think an SC MMORTS would be incredible.

pm.gif   

Old 05-09-2007

United States GordonFreeman
Messiah
 GordonFreeman is a name known to allGordonFreeman is a name known to allGordonFreeman is a name known to allGordonFreeman is a name known to allGordonFreeman is a name known to allGordonFreeman is a name known to allGordonFreeman is a name known to allGordonFreeman is a name known to allGordonFreeman is a name known to allGordonFreeman is a name known to allGordonFreeman is a name known to all

hmm. i wonder if the article is legit. no one believed me when i said that an sc mmo was the secret game

GordonFreeman has 701 Posts

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to GordonFreeman