Warcraft Legacy Starcraft Legacy BlizzForums
The Future?

Go Back   BlizzForums > Games > StarCraft Discussion

StarCraft Discussion StarCraft & Brood War lie herein.

Old 07-10-2006

Canada !!SaLtMaN!!
Trigger Fingers
 !!SaLtMaN!! is a glorious beacon of light!!SaLtMaN!! is a glorious beacon of light!!SaLtMaN!! is a glorious beacon of light!!SaLtMaN!! is a glorious beacon of light!!SaLtMaN!! is a glorious beacon of light!!SaLtMaN!! is a glorious beacon of light
Default Merging Tilesets

So I am told that it is impossible for example to have snow terrain in a jungle tileset. This would really suck cuz I might want to get back to fixing/finishing my old map Golden Sun RPG and I want to get some Snow and Desert terrains in there.

!!SaLtMaN!! has 23 Posts

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to !!SaLtMaN!! Send a message via MSN to !!SaLtMaN!!  

Old 07-10-2006

Hong Kong DoomGaze
Mr. Postman
 DoomGaze has much to be proud ofDoomGaze has much to be proud ofDoomGaze has much to be proud ofDoomGaze has much to be proud ofDoomGaze has much to be proud ofDoomGaze has much to be proud ofDoomGaze has much to be proud ofDoomGaze has much to be proud ofDoomGaze has much to be proud ofDoomGaze has much to be proud of

Yea, it's impossible.

DoomGaze has 1,844 Posts

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to DoomGaze  

Old 07-10-2006

United States AFHOF
Permanent Failure
 AFHOF fails at lifeAFHOF fails at lifeAFHOF fails at lifeAFHOF fails at lifeAFHOF fails at lifeAFHOF fails at lifeAFHOF fails at lifeAFHOF fails at lifeAFHOF fails at lifeAFHOF fails at lifeAFHOF fails at life

you know how to mod like crazy? Edit the tileset charts by mizing them together, and then see how many people download your mod to play your map. Simple as that....

pm.gif   

Old 07-10-2006

Canada !!SaLtMaN!!
Trigger Fingers
 !!SaLtMaN!! is a glorious beacon of light!!SaLtMaN!! is a glorious beacon of light!!SaLtMaN!! is a glorious beacon of light!!SaLtMaN!! is a glorious beacon of light!!SaLtMaN!! is a glorious beacon of light!!SaLtMaN!! is a glorious beacon of light

Sooo you wanna tell me how to do that? that would be f'n awesome!

!!SaLtMaN!! has 23 Posts

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to !!SaLtMaN!! Send a message via MSN to !!SaLtMaN!!  

Old 07-10-2006

United States AFHOF
Permanent Failure
 AFHOF fails at lifeAFHOF fails at lifeAFHOF fails at lifeAFHOF fails at lifeAFHOF fails at lifeAFHOF fails at lifeAFHOF fails at lifeAFHOF fails at lifeAFHOF fails at lifeAFHOF fails at lifeAFHOF fails at life

Also f'n hard as hell. You would need a lot of tools, im not sure which, and you would need a huge ammount of time. also, for anyone to play your map, they would need to download the mod, so it wouldnt easily be playable on Bnet.

It is possible, but highly improbable. check over at www.staredit.net for the tools, I dont have the direct links right now.

pm.gif   

Old 07-10-2006

Canada !!SaLtMaN!!
Trigger Fingers

Well that's lame.
Someone must make a program that can do it easily.

!!SaLtMaN!! has 23 Posts

Old 07-10-2006

Canada RODTHEGOD
Rise of the Black Leaf
 RODTHEGOD has been here far, far too longRODTHEGOD has been here far, far too longRODTHEGOD has been here far, far too longRODTHEGOD has been here far, far too longRODTHEGOD has been here far, far too longRODTHEGOD has been here far, far too longRODTHEGOD has been here far, far too longRODTHEGOD has been here far, far too longRODTHEGOD has been here far, far too longRODTHEGOD has been here far, far too longRODTHEGOD has been here far, far too long

i found a program that could do that
its called scmdraft 2

RODTHEGOD has 1,283 Posts

Its Only a matter of time

pm.gif   

Old 07-10-2006

Canada !!SaLtMaN!!
Trigger Fingers

I do not believe it can put snow in the jungle though, unless you can tell me how.

!!SaLtMaN!! has 23 Posts

Old 07-10-2006

BlizzForums spinesheath
Trigger Mathemagician
 spinesheath is unstoppable!spinesheath is unstoppable!spinesheath is unstoppable!spinesheath is unstoppable!spinesheath is unstoppable!spinesheath is unstoppable!spinesheath is unstoppable!spinesheath is unstoppable!spinesheath is unstoppable!spinesheath is unstoppable!spinesheath is unstoppable!

First of all, a map is saved (simply said) as a tileset indicator and a large array of tile indexes (so 128x128 indexes for a 128x128 map). Basically, you could change the tileset indicator and get a whole new map. It will be quite crappy, though tilesets such as jungle and badlands would convert quite well in some parts.
But: Once you specify a certain tileset, there can`t be any tiles of another tileset in your map. This is, by the way, also true for modding (though it might seem different)
So SCMD2 can't do it. Not at all.

If you choose modding, you have to modify starcrafts mpq files. You need to change the pictures linked with the tile indexes for a certain tileset to whatever you want. There are lots of black tiles, so it would be possible to add in new tiles without losing old ones.
I am no modder, so I don't know the programs you need.

Next thing is, all the people that play your map must have the modded mpq files, or otherwise SC will crash. These files are usually not distributed over battle.net, so not that many people play mods.

Shadowflare is working on a tool that can spread mods over b.net and install the modded files while playing the map. But I don't know how far that project is at the moment.

spinesheath has 1,456 Posts

pm.gif Send a message via ICQ to spinesheath  

Old 07-10-2006

United States AFHOF
Permanent Failure

Quote:
Next thing is, all the people that play your map must have the modded mpq files, or otherwise SC will crash. These files are usually not distributed over battle.net, so not that many people play mods.
Actually, in his case, I dont think it would crash, it simply wouldnt work if they didnt have the mod. Since they tiles he actually used were legal without any mods at all, it would just show up as blackspace.

pm.gif   

Old 07-10-2006

BlizzForums spinesheath
Trigger Mathemagician
 spinesheath is unstoppable!spinesheath is unstoppable!spinesheath is unstoppable!spinesheath is unstoppable!spinesheath is unstoppable!spinesheath is unstoppable!spinesheath is unstoppable!spinesheath is unstoppable!spinesheath is unstoppable!spinesheath is unstoppable!spinesheath is unstoppable!

That might very well be - if SC doesn't check for equality of the tiles used.

spinesheath has 1,456 Posts

pm.gif Send a message via ICQ to spinesheath