Warcraft Legacy Starcraft Legacy BlizzForums
The Future?

Go Back   BlizzForums > Games > StarCraft Discussion

StarCraft Discussion StarCraft & Brood War lie herein.

Old 04-04-2006

No country specified. To select a country, go to User CP -> Edit Profile -> Country Kryok
Forum Elder
 Kryok is an unknown quantity at this point
Default BlizzSCUMS Signup Thread

Welcome to the BlizzSCUMS Signup thread!

You may submit an application here to join the group by following these simple rules. Please choose one of the three departments (triggers, terrain, and writing) you'd like to be in and apply accordingly. You may apply for more than one department at once or a second or third at a later time.

Quote:
Trigger Department

Post a map here that best exhibits your ability to create, organize, and use individual triggers and complex trigger systems. This must be an original map created by you and can be either a fully playable game or a map exhibiting a complex trigger system you created. A BlizzSCUMS member in this department will review the map and evaluate it based on your trigger use and design and then post the results here.

Terrain Department

Post a map here that best exhibits your ability to design aesthetically pleasing and sensible terrain. Square terrain is unacceptable, however a balance between isometric and extended terrain is a plus (though not necessary). This can either be terrain in a Melee or UMS map you've created or are working on, or terrain alone (though making good use of the terrian helps). A BlizzSCUMS member in this department will review the map and evaluate it based on your terrain design and then post the results here.

Writing Department

The writing department is responsible for writing a story or narrative for a map or writing dialogue and narration to be used within the map itself. Please post a short story you've written that is no longer than 500 words and exhibits proper grammar and punctuation and your ability to develop a plot or character within the alloted space. A BlizzSCUMS member in this department will review the piece and evaluate it and then post the results here.

pm.gif   

Old 07-10-2006

Canada !!SaLtMaN!!
Trigger Fingers
 !!SaLtMaN!! is a glorious beacon of light!!SaLtMaN!! is a glorious beacon of light!!SaLtMaN!! is a glorious beacon of light!!SaLtMaN!! is a glorious beacon of light!!SaLtMaN!! is a glorious beacon of light!!SaLtMaN!! is a glorious beacon of light
Default !!SaLtMaN!!

Hey it's me, !!SaLtMaN!!, call my salt, or salty, whatever. I could help you guys out if you want, I won't be available all the time, but on my days off I can work on some maps you guys are working on.
I personally specialize in Triggers and perhaps Terrain.
Attached is a map I started a looong time ago and didn't finish, I may get to finishing it this year, who knows (started in May 2001). I will also attach a map called Jet Fighter. The original was made by (U)Bolt_Head. I played it and I wanted to know how he did it, so I replicated it to the best of my knowledge with triggers and such. I did not look at his map, it was locked anyways, and I'm no good hacker dude so I didn't unlock it. I'mjust saying this cuz I can't take credit for the idea, I just wanted to do it, and I was proud of it. Remember that this was a looong time ago where it wasn't common knowledge that you could command interceptors into going where you want.

Errr... Golden Sun RPG.scx is too big to attach, so if you wanna give me an email address, I'll send it via email.

Thanks!
-Salt

Attached Files
File Type: scx Jet Fighter-Salt.scx (29.3 KB, 13 views)
!!SaLtMaN!! has 23 Posts

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to !!SaLtMaN!! Send a message via MSN to !!SaLtMaN!!  

Old 07-10-2006

Hong Kong DoomGaze
Mr. Postman
 DoomGaze has much to be proud ofDoomGaze has much to be proud ofDoomGaze has much to be proud ofDoomGaze has much to be proud ofDoomGaze has much to be proud ofDoomGaze has much to be proud ofDoomGaze has much to be proud ofDoomGaze has much to be proud ofDoomGaze has much to be proud ofDoomGaze has much to be proud of

Hey, I remember you. So I'll take it that you're signing up for triggers. I like the map concept. Although it's not yours, I guess it's pretty cool seeing it, because I haven't seen this sort of map myself. I haven't seen Kryok for awhile, so I guess I'll 'take over' for a bit in evaluating your entry. I feel like taking a look at the Golden Sun RPG, because it sounds fun and I'm sure I'll see alot more of your triggerwork in that.

Atma.SF at Gmail.com

But personally, I think you'll get in nevertheless.

DoomGaze has 1,844 Posts

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to DoomGaze  

Old 07-10-2006

BlizzForums spinesheath
Trigger Mathemagician
 spinesheath is unstoppable!spinesheath is unstoppable!spinesheath is unstoppable!spinesheath is unstoppable!spinesheath is unstoppable!spinesheath is unstoppable!spinesheath is unstoppable!spinesheath is unstoppable!spinesheath is unstoppable!spinesheath is unstoppable!spinesheath is unstoppable!

Actually, you don't need to hack to see how something is done at all - ever heard of trigger viewer 2?
Anyways, I am interested in Golden Sun RPG, too (damn have to get the GBA game )

Last edited by spinesheath; 01-24-2007 at 05:40 AM.
spinesheath has 1,456 Posts

pm.gif Send a message via ICQ to spinesheath  

Old 07-11-2006

Hong Kong DoomGaze
Mr. Postman
 DoomGaze has much to be proud ofDoomGaze has much to be proud ofDoomGaze has much to be proud ofDoomGaze has much to be proud ofDoomGaze has much to be proud ofDoomGaze has much to be proud ofDoomGaze has much to be proud ofDoomGaze has much to be proud ofDoomGaze has much to be proud ofDoomGaze has much to be proud of

I tested it by myself and...I was assaulted by a constant unit unplaceable error? Other than that, and a load of Djinn to the north of the start, I didn't have any problems playing solo. But I quite after walking a bit south. So, is this why the map is unplayable with only one player? Or was that not supposed to happen?

DoomGaze has 1,844 Posts

Old 07-11-2006

Canada !!SaLtMaN!!
Trigger Fingers
 !!SaLtMaN!! is a glorious beacon of light!!SaLtMaN!! is a glorious beacon of light!!SaLtMaN!! is a glorious beacon of light!!SaLtMaN!! is a glorious beacon of light!!SaLtMaN!! is a glorious beacon of light!!SaLtMaN!! is a glorious beacon of light

I said to play with 2 players, oh and you reminded me that I gotta add terrain to the place where the unit unplaceable thing is :P. 2 players because you get 4 characters in the game, 2 to player 1, 2 to player 2. If you've played Golden Sun for GBA then it would be more clear. I'm not the best at incorporating storylines, I think I'm quite bad at it actually. Other than that, it's the battle system I wanted to show in that map. It's unprotected so go ahead and check things out.

!!SaLtMaN!! has 23 Posts

pm.gif  Send a message via AIM to !!SaLtMaN!! Send a message via MSN to !!SaLtMaN!!  

Old 07-11-2006

BlizzForums spinesheath
Trigger Mathemagician
 spinesheath is unstoppable!spinesheath is unstoppable!spinesheath is unstoppable!spinesheath is unstoppable!spinesheath is unstoppable!spinesheath is unstoppable!spinesheath is unstoppable!spinesheath is unstoppable!spinesheath is unstoppable!spinesheath is unstoppable!spinesheath is unstoppable!

Unit uplaceable for me too, with 2 players also. This is something you should NEVER let happen. Also, begining felt quite looooong though that may be caused by the constant flood of errors.
As far as I went, the battle system was "choose beacon and win" without any animation or such. Maybe because the center view took too long to bring me to where the action is?
Apart from that, triggering seems quite excessive, you sure have some will to do massive triggering.

Old 07-11-2006

Canada !!SaLtMaN!!
Trigger Fingers

Whatever, it's been a while, I worked on that map for a while and there are alot of glitches in it which is why I stopped working on it. I won't argue on how the map works, I've given up on people trying to understand.

P.S. Djinni are there for testing purposes.

!!SaLtMaN!! has 23 Posts

Old 07-11-2006

Hong Kong DoomGaze
Mr. Postman

Well, I've taken a look at the map in the editor and it appears that you're following the storyline of the original GS quite faithfully. Unfortunately, I was too lazy to take a look at the technical triggers. Instead, I just took a look at some random triggers and gave up from there. I'm quite curious as to how you did the puzzles.

So send up another copy when you fixed the unit unplaceable thing, and perhaps we'll test it out on 7/11/06 9:45PM PST? No wait, you're on USEast, which means you're ahead of me by quite some hours...We need to find a suitable meeting time for this if you want me to actively evaluate it rather than sending you a block of text (or maybe a lack of it. I have confidence in your abilities). Actually, I just realized that I don't need to evaluate your map at all. I just need to say, accepted or declined. Well, unless you want the map to be reviewed. That is my specialty anyways.

DoomGaze has 1,844 Posts

Old 07-11-2006

Canada !!SaLtMaN!!
Trigger Fingers

945 PST perfect. I'm on MST, I just go on east cuz friends are there. If you wanna meet in west it's no problem. my name is !!SaLtMaN!! on both servers so give me a shout if I'm on.

!!SaLtMaN!! has 23 Posts

Old 07-11-2006

BlizzForums spinesheath
Trigger Mathemagician

Well, the triggers didn't seem that hard to understand to me. At least they are less complex than mine and by far less complex than Carl's
Today, when I come home from school, I will look into the triggers of the jet game.

Anyways, though you probably could have done your map with less triggers, and that unit unplaceable error (really, that left a bad feeling), I'd welcome you to BlizzSCUMS. You probably are better than I was when I joined.

As for the procedure of joining:
Only Kryok can formally accept you to BlizzSCUMS as it is now. Also, we used to give a task to anyone who wanted to join us. I don't know if this is still the case, though...

Old 07-11-2006

Canada !!SaLtMaN!!
Trigger Fingers

Sure, I'll do a task, how hard can it be... but if it's "make this thing invisible" or some crap like that, I'd be dissapointed.

But I still want you to see the map. I was redoing a part of the terrain and forgot to put terrain where the unit unplaceable thing is.

For the most part the triggers ARE simple, but that's not including the battle system. About half way down in Force 1 you'll see a commented trigger "Thus begins the Attack Sequence", there until the trigger "Clear" I think are complex at least. I spent a hell of a long time perfecting the battle system and it's not even complete.

!!SaLtMaN!! has 23 Posts

Old 07-11-2006

BlizzForums spinesheath
Trigger Mathemagician

Well, there is no way someone could understand this part without spending several hours. This is basically because you can't know what all the switches are representing and such things. Yes, you did a great job not getting confused by all that switches and locations, but I wouldn't call that complex :P
What surprises me is that I didn't see any death counters in there. Or did I just miss them? With death counters, you probably could have done this with less conditions and thus being less confusing.

Well, I heard of a task someone had before me that was some advanced variant of the dropship selection system, and I had a simpe calc.
Actually, I was meant to make addition/subtraction of numbers from 0-99, maybe some multiplication. But I went for overkill, allowing for signed 8-digit decimal fractions, implementing addition and subtraction. Multiplication and division were on paper but never triggered. I also had some conceps for square roots and stuff. And it had a nice minimap digital display, so it was pretty much like the standard calculators we have at home. Of course mine I have for school is a LITTLE better^^
Today, I'd do it pretty different... back then I focused on few triggers, with seed at second importance. Today I have "scripts" to evaluate such things in an instant, which take up more triggers

Well, enough talk... we will have to wait for Kryoks return to make a decision. Until then, I think we could accept you as a most-probable-member unless the others disagree...

Old 07-13-2006

Hong Kong DoomGaze
Mr. Postman

I am free...tomorrow afternoon, so I can definately play a few games then, unlike that last failure to meet. Around 2PM PST.

DoomGaze has 1,844 Posts

Old 07-13-2006

Canada !!SaLtMaN!!
Trigger Fingers

I was at the Calgary Stampede, stayed 5 hours later than I thought. My bad. Tomorrow afternoon, 3pm MST is perfect. !!SaLtMaN!! on East. SEe you there.

!!SaLtMaN!! has 23 Posts