View Single Post

Old 06-07-2007

United States Golgo 13
ಠ_ಠ
 Golgo 13 might just love this place a little bit too muchGolgo 13 might just love this place a little bit too muchGolgo 13 might just love this place a little bit too muchGolgo 13 might just love this place a little bit too muchGolgo 13 might just love this place a little bit too muchGolgo 13 might just love this place a little bit too muchGolgo 13 might just love this place a little bit too muchGolgo 13 might just love this place a little bit too muchGolgo 13 might just love this place a little bit too muchGolgo 13 might just love this place a little bit too muchGolgo 13 might just love this place a little bit too much
Default Re: WinAce - Always remember, Never forget.

Found his fundraising site on internet archive:

Save-Allan.org

From the FAQ:

Quote:
Q: Why did medicaid deny you?

A: To save money. Duh.

The bureaucratic answer, one that is an attempted defense against charges of inhuman greed, is that transplant wouldn't help me. They cite three contraindications (in the words of my doctors, "so-called contraindications") that they claim indicate I wouldn't survive post-transplant.

This goes directly against my doctors' opinion. Dr. Egan, the world-renowned transplant surgeon, says I could make it. He's had patients in my situation who've not only survived, but thrived. I've met several of them! He patiently explained to Medicaid's medical director, William Lawrence Jr., the reasons that their "contraindications" were spurious excuses:

* Many of their patients have B. cepacia (UNC is the only center in the US that does these transplants, but unlike others, they've had quite some success with them).
* Osteoporosis can be treated, and is almost invariably present with late-stage CF. It can pose problems after transplant, but not ones that would warrant denying it. (One of their patients had it to such a great degree, she developed compression fractures in her spine merely from sitting!)
* Low weight is another problem endemic to the CF patient population, and doesn't appear to make a statistical difference in outcomes post-transplant. As Dr. Egan pointed out, with better health, we gain a lot of it back afterwards. On the other hand, it IS associated with high risk of death BEFORE transplant (CF patients who are thin, like myself, fare excessively poorly with their old lungs). Thus, Medicaid is using a "contraindication" that is actually a risk NOW, but would actually become a non-issue, should I get the transplant!

Confronted with such a matter-of-fact case, did Medicaid change their mind, or even attempt to rebut Dr. Egan's statistics and case studies (which showed their excuses were just that, excuses)? Hardly! They just sent us a second letter of denial, reiterating their original reasons for denying it!

That's right, folks. They didn't try to argue that Dr. Egan was mistaken in his rebuttal, or that his statistics were irrelevant because of X, Y and Z - what scientists do. Instead, they just stuck their heads in the sand and provided the same excuses they did in the first place, which had been debunked - what bureaucrats do.

This makes their true goal (saving money at my life's expense) transparently obvious. It's not about ensuring funds aren't wasted on those who can't benefit, as my doctors are quite confident I would (or, at least, have as good a chance as those with pulmonary hypertension, those with my exact illness: CF--that Medicaid has approved before, and many others in a similar boat.)
He also noted how Medicaid is sticking to it's priorities:

Quote:
In other news, also on the same channel, the reason Medicaid can’t afford my transplant:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRAL
A survey by The Associated Press earlier this year showed nearly 800 convicted sex offenders in 14 states received erectile dysfunction drugs filled by Medicaid.

Last edited by Golgo 13; 06-07-2007 at 09:57 PM.
Golgo 13 has 10,560 Posts

"The modern banking system manufactures money out of nothing. The process is perhaps the most astounding piece of sleight-of-hand that was ever invented. Banking was conceived in inequity and born in sin. But if you want to continue to be slaves of the bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, then let the bankers continue to create money and control credit."

- Josiah Charles, President of the Bank of England & 2nd richest man in Great Britain (1880-1941)

pm.gif