BlizzForums

BlizzForums (http://www.blizzforums.com/index.php)
-   StarCraft Discussion (http://www.blizzforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Third resource? (http://www.blizzforums.com/showthread.php?t=3243)

Ass Kicker 10-12-2006 10:50 PM

Third resource?

We already have minerals and vespien gas as resouces but if there is going to be more types of units/buildings in StarCraft 2 is it possible that a third resoucre would be needed for these new units/buildings or to upgrade units/buildings?

Death 10-12-2006 11:28 PM

Re: Third resource?

In my opinion minerals and vespene gas seem sufficiant enough to get a colony running but if there was another resource i'm thinking maybe something like electricity or wood (electricity more likley cause wood might just make it look like Warcraft and besides electricity seems more futuristic)

Undead-Fox 10-13-2006 01:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Death (Post 77958)
In my opinion minerals and vespene gas seem sufficiant enough to get a colony running but if there was another resource i'm thinking maybe something like electricity or wood (electricity more likley cause wood might just make it look like Warcraft and besides electricity seems more futuristic)

why would we need another resource?

Wood has no use whatsoever in space combat.
Electricity is outdated. Everything is powered by the energy provided from vespene gas.

And that is only from a Terran point of view.

Zerg are all biological, and have no need for such things.
And Protoss are FAR, FAR beyond using such primitive things.

I agree that they do not need another resource.

UED Special Ops 10-13-2006 02:16 AM

Hmm, perhaps Blizz would use Terazen(sp) gas as a third resource. Perhaps in building highly advanced units.

wrath9259 10-13-2006 03:21 AM

Yeah, putting in another resource might completely throw the balance of what they already have. Minerals and Vespane are good enough.

Bullet2head 10-13-2006 07:24 AM

that, and unless thy raise the unit limit, the armies you would have would be soooo small because of the amount of workers you have.

Tassadar 10-13-2006 08:30 AM

Off the top of my head, crops could be harvested and iron ore could be mined.

Admiral Mengsk 10-13-2006 12:10 PM

No. Just no.

Kassad 10-13-2006 04:29 PM

No. Not possible in any way. If this happened, it would suck so much ass that it would be unbelievable.

InRage 10-13-2006 04:57 PM

If there is a new resource it should be some kind of asteroid metal that is super rare and has immense strength. It would only be necessary for 3rd level upgrades, certain unit upgrades and units like Battlecruisers, Carrier, Arbiters, Science Vessels, Reavers, Guardians, Defilers, Devourers, and Maybe a bit for Valkyries and Scouts

.Jackal 10-13-2006 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Wanderex (Post 78245)
If there is a new resource it should be some kind of asteroid metal that is super rare and has immense strength. It would only be necessary for 3rd level upgrades, certain unit upgrades and units like Battlecruisers, Carrier, Arbiters, Science Vessels, Reavers, Guardians, Defilers, Devourers, and Maybe a bit for Valkyries and Scouts

lol.

Undead-Fox 10-14-2006 04:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nuts (Post 78085)
Off the top of my head, crops could be harvested and iron ore could be mined.

...Crops...? .... Advanced space militia from the future! Drop down your Gauss Rifle and pick up your hoe and pitchfork, and FARM AWAY!!

And Iron? Once more... what good is that? ... Zerg, no need... all biological units...
Terran and Protoss use the ore and refine it to build their ships and buildings.

If you want to make a suggestion... lol... think FUTURISTICALLY. ^_^

Proceri 10-14-2006 04:16 PM

If there was another resource in Sc2 I would be PISSED.

I hate games that go overboard with resources. Thats what pisses me off about the AOE's and EE2. Although RON pulled it off quite well due to how it handles resources and how theres a unit combination for just about every resource.

This is something I strongly disagree with.

InRage 10-14-2006 04:43 PM

On second thought, make it some crazy space cloud gas thing, that is alive and kills stuff, like that stuff in C&C except cooler.

Kassad 10-14-2006 04:46 PM

Don't even try to bring Tiberium into this. Tiberium is annoying as hell because the men don't follow a direct line and they walk through the shit and die. It bothers me.