BlizzForums

BlizzForums (http://www.blizzforums.com/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.blizzforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   I keep rifles under my bed for self-defense?!? (http://www.blizzforums.com/showthread.php?t=23465)

Lackey 02-16-2009 08:48 PM

I keep rifles under my bed for self-defense?!?

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/po...0,903835.story

Quote:

Gillibrand disclosed she had two guns under her bed in an interview with Newsday last week. An aide later said the guns were rifles -- she won one in a county fair raffle while campaigning -- and that she kept them for home security.
Ms. Gillibrand, I applaud your style and your principled approach to the office. But I can't help but wonder, how big is your house that a rifle makes sense as a self defense weapon? Seriously, a rifle? Are you that skilled? Really? Do you plan on running a few hundred feet away to get a good shot? Or are you just going to stick the barrel in their chest and pull the trigger?

Golgo 13 02-16-2009 09:16 PM

Re: I keep rifles under my bed for self-defense?!?

Nothing beats a good Mossberg pump for home defense.

Meteora 02-16-2009 09:53 PM

A rifle wouldn't be suitable for close quarter combat and enclosed areas such as a house; but it's definitely a start for home self-defense. Beats a knife by a mile. Could use an improvement though. At least get a Carbine (if possible), but the best would be a Shotgun.

It may also be used as a fear factor. People would be scared the shit out of their pants if they saw a rifle compare to say a baseball bat.

viperjo 02-16-2009 09:58 PM

I'll come at em with my mahogany bat swinging like a berserker. That'll scare em well enough I think. Shotty makes for better range though, despite the terrible mess it leaves.

Meteora 02-16-2009 10:05 PM

Speaking of property damage, does insurance cover for the damage done while someone is using a Shotgun as a self-defense?

I'm guess not?

Ace 02-16-2009 10:08 PM

What would happen if you pointed said rifle at said chest and pulled said trigger? I dont imagine it would be messier than a shotty from equal distance.

Drakain Zeil 02-16-2009 10:23 PM

cani has the rpg plz?

viperjo 02-16-2009 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ace (Post 521534)
What would happen if you pointed said rifle at said chest and pulled said trigger? I dont imagine it would be messier than a shotty from equal distance.

A much larger single hole. Get hit with a bullet at such close range and it literally tears a hole in you and that hole expands a good bit, depending on the bullet size and distance from the barrel, then compresses super fast causing even more damage. Not exactly messy but very damaging to say the least.

The Hawaiian 02-17-2009 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golgo 13 (Post 521500)
Nothing beats a good Mossberg pump for home defense.

My first gun was a mossberg maverick :D. Cheap only payed $150 at Wal-Mart.

remixedlife91 02-17-2009 12:46 AM

My first gun was a 9mm. Then I got a SR-25. Of course it was for show. Both of them were de-militarized and couldn't shoot to kill a life. Oh well.

Agent-47. 02-17-2009 04:56 AM

fuck your shotguns and rifles, just have a nice box'o'flash bangs, some ear muffs and bat under the bed, itll be like a game the whole family can play

Ace 02-17-2009 05:01 AM

Quote:

A much larger single hole. Get hit with a bullet at such close range and it literally tears a hole in you and that hole expands a good bit, depending on the bullet size and distance from the barrel, then compresses super fast causing even more damage. Not exactly messy but very damaging to say the least.
I know that on more powerful weapons they shoot the projectile at such velocities that they spin so fast as to cause damaging air turbulence around them. Some guns are so powerful that if you shoot at someone and miss by 3 inches there will still be tissue damage due to the air around the bullet spinning so fast. But would a rifle do that?

DaveTheRave 02-17-2009 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ace (Post 521853)
I know that on more powerful weapons they shoot the projectile at such velocities that they spin so fast as to cause damaging air turbulence around them. Some guns are so powerful that if you shoot at someone and miss by 3 inches there will still be tissue damage due to the air around the bullet spinning so fast. But would a rifle do that?

The Dragunov Rifle does that...I think. Maybe some AU rifles as well.

Quote:

And that is true. I went to a shooting range, and I shot at two papers. One which was almost point blank, and another which was 50 yards. The paper which was point blank was literally torn to shreds, and not only that, but the gun that I was firing was a 9mm.

GenocideAlive 02-17-2009 11:29 AM

Firing at paper with guns for testing purposes is like beating up four year olds to test martial arts skills.

But yeah, of all the home defense tools, a rifle wouldn't be my first choice. But then, since I don't live by myself, neither would a shotgun.

Meteora 02-17-2009 11:54 AM

Now that I think of it, are there any legal SMGs that people can get? Easily or not? I've heard and seen people using rifles and shotguns, but not SMGs. A SMG would be a good alternative to a shotgun.